Why only 3 player co-op

More players would make the game more fun

Comments

• JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    I believe it's an issue of making the game balanced. There's restrictions on how many minions can be spawned at once (too many would lagg), so in order to make the game work for say, 5 people, they can't just spawn minions. This means instead, the minions would be harder to kill. The problem with this, is that's how the game used to feel hopeless. You would go into a map as a group of 5, and you'd be unable to really killl a single minion on your own because you did so little damage. They opted for maximum of 3, because you can still kill one on your own at 3 players. It helps so they don't have 1 or 5 people runs getting unbalanced.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • CruelerCrueler Member, War Mage Founder, Early Access
    I'd like 4 people, the game isn't really that hard anyways.
  • Juicy said:
    I believe it's an issue of making the game balanced. There's restrictions on how many minions can be spawned at once (too many would lagg), so in order to make the game work for say, 5 people, they can't just spawn minions. This means instead, the minions would be harder to kill. The problem with this, is that's how the game used to feel hopeless. You would go into a map as a group of 5, and you'd be unable to really killl a single minion on your own because you did so little damage. They opted for maximum of 3, because you can still kill one on your own at 3 players. It helps so they don't have 1 or 5 people runs getting unbalanced. 
    That can be resolved by lowering the minion scaling. I feel like getting a queue in Rift Lord with 2 people on some of the huge maps is an instant loss. If they designed the game for 5 and scaled it back to 3 people that makes sense as to why it's so tough. That also makes sense as to why they removed pvp. 3 to 5 man is a huge difference and I feel like most of these heroes do no significant damage which would make them useless in PVP.
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Juicy said:
    That can be resolved by lowering the minion scaling. I feel like getting a queue in Rift Lord with 2 people on some of the huge maps is an instant loss. If they designed the game for 5 and scaled it back to 3 people that makes sense as to why it's so tough. That also makes sense as to why they removed pvp. 3 to 5 man is a huge difference and I feel like most of these heroes do no significant damage which would make them useless in PVP.
    I can't speak for exact reasons why PvP was removed, it's possible that's involved.

As for the actual amount of players currently in game, just because only 3 are used right now doesn't mean you can't expand later. It's highly possible you see competitive modes (Not siege, that's been said, but other types of competitive) where you see 3v3's (that is, teams of 3). Technically it's even possible we see other PvE gamemodes that require 5 or 50 people. Who knows what the future holds, but the game isn't limited to 3 technologically. It's limited to 3 by choice (for balancing sake, I believe) - which means it can change any time Robot figures out a way to make it work in the game.

I.E. - I have high hopes of modes for more than 3 people eventually. I however wouldn't expect it out of the base PvE version of the game.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • I never play 3-player games anymore, and it's absurd to say that the maps were "designed for 5p or more" Just because there are 5 gates or more, doesn't mean it's designed for a dozen players.

Some maps do feel like they were designed for *two* players, though, and are really hard to get par on when soloing. Rift Lord Gates of Thuricvod, for example. But when paired up with another high level competant player, I'm never telling myself "gee, we really need more people to cover these lanes". 3 player is all about income-gaining or physical effect heroes, because the damage output is utterly atrocious. Scaling this to even more players... wouldn't even be a point to pressing the left mouse button at all. And the coin splitting... "everyone gets to place one trap per wave!" Not fun.

It would need to be a distinct mode, pretty much, with its own maps. Huuuge maps. But I don't see that happening.