Common Mistakes I see people making

2»

Comments

• iAndyiAndy Member
    @Statboy Thanks for running that test. I'm curious how that test would perform on the bottom right lane to see which build allows more through, although you'd have to play at least to wave 9 or 10 each time.  I usually put a priest down there and then fill up the bridge with flip traps (double spring in each). I skip the row with the planters after the bridge, and then put 3 flips on the next row facing out into the abyss.  Occasionally I'll see one or two make it past all the flips but then the priest gets them.  I wonder if you'd have to use fewer traps if you alternated them with spike traps. 

When I solo I like to try to squeeze out as much efficiency as I can out of a lane (using only as many traps as necessary to make the lane so I don't have to run down there to defend). 
  • Sire said:
    At the end of the day, if a build works for the player and the player is having fun, that is all that matters. Some players may theorycraft and test out builds to get that extra 1% efficiency while others are content with what they have. Then there is delving into regular play and endless play which may influence trap selection (expensive traps are typically better in Endless) as well as what the player has upgraded at the time.
    That is certainly a fair point
  • @Statboy I am not saying flip traps aren't best when used with other traps to assist it. However, the tests you did are pretty inaccurate since if you were to use solely flip traps to defend a bridge, you would use light weight trigger. Like you said, flip traps can't deal with large minions or bosses. So, by not using light weight trigger you are unintentionally making the flip traps worse for the role you are trying to make it perform. Now, I personally would use steam vents on any and all bridges..since they are just plain better. Though, in hindsight, I guess you make a point with floor traps doing the least amount of dmg and best to be replaced with flip traps for debuffs...but they still aren't needed in really any map except endless if you are trying to go for a high score or something.
  • StatboyStatboy Member
    edited January 25
    @Zarcos, alright I'm two levels later now, but I did just get a lightweight trigger so I ran it again on RF Frostbite first wave. Everything the same except I'm now higher level and have the lightweight trigger on the trap. I won the first wave with 6 Rift Points left, its still not stronger than mixing your traps up to maximize them (which got 9 rift points left). A run of any single trap is never optimal, if it were we wouldn't need so many different traps, we'd just spam one everywhere and complain about how easy the game is.
  • @Statboy But a lot of people are complaining the game is too easy? I even find it only fun during the weeklies...since the traps and account level actually scale to the actual map, making it fun, though sometimes frustrating, figuring out new ways to beat the levels.
  • Statboy said:
    @Zarcos, alright I'm two levels later now, but I did just get a lightweight trigger so I ran it again on RF Frostbite first wave. Everything the same except I'm now higher level and have the lightweight trigger on the trap. I won the first wave with 6 Rift Points left, its still not stronger than mixing your traps up to maximize them (which got 9 rift points left). A run of any single trap is never optimal, if it were we wouldn't need so many different traps, we'd just spam one everywhere and complain about how easy the game is.
    your only seeing your part of the story.  If i am useing lightweight trigger on fliptraps, it is best to string them up where able to. As pointed out on outdoor bridges steam vents work even better. However if I am doing this then i am using a mixture of other traps throughout the map to deal with there shortcomings. Because as you stated we can bring more than one kind of trap.  While putting stunning on flip traps is obviously a good start and if used that way a mixture is better its not better for that part of the map with other parts like lightweight triggers.

I agree with whoever also mentioned Hay makers and push traps also work great with stunning accu parts and most people that use light weight flips use one or the other if not both.
  • @ProjectFlipMode I used to think like you did, and I do see the strat. The point I'm making is one, I believe there's only 1 lane on 1 map that produces only medium enemies for the all flip/steam strat; and two even on that single lane putting V.Tar in front to slow will improve your damage output for those traps. Throwing in floor spikes with there 7 second base reset, vs Flips 15 second base reset (down to 11.55 seconds at tier 7), improves the effectiveness of the V.Tar. Multiple traps that work together to create a greater effect are always better in this version of the game.

Does anybody actually loadout with Pushes, Flips, and Haymakers all at once? Loading out with 3 traps that are the same just placed on different surfaces is the opposite of using multiple traps to create a greater effect. Any one of those at time is good to have, but I'd never loadout with 2 of them, because I'd be leaving something too important behind.
  • edited January 27
    @statboy. i was just trying to point out that your are comparing a 3trap setup (tar, flip traps and spikes) to a single trap setup.  to be fair you would have to setup the way that person is.  A full row of only light flip traps and then say vic tar and haymakers in a killbox. now you have a 3trap to 3trap comparison. because the person you are hating on that is putting a row of flip or steam vents is useing those other traps in a killbox elsewhere.  

I can take almost any combo of 3traps and say it is better than just one.  I think alot of people on here see your point very clearly, but you don't seem to be as open minded to see it the other way around. 

NO. people don't usually bring pushes flips and haymakers all at onece.  typically you will see a good killbox with (for example) Haymakers, dragon lances, scorchers, grinders and vic tar. This way you are building combos for extra gold and are creating a ton of dmg from 4-5 different traps after stunning accumulator instead of just floor spikes. In this case the killbox will kill everything on its own but its still good practice to put steam vents on outside bridges and/or fliptraps in rows with no other traps when they can fling and instant kill masses of mobs before getting to said killbox. 
  • iAndyiAndy Member
    Statboy said:
    I think I see the issue. People are trying to increase the killing power of flip traps, when flips are far from the best trap for doing that. However flip's have the highest potential for debuffing of any trap. I used to use flips as a killing trap and thought they were terrible at it, even made a post stating such, once somebody told me to try stunning accumulator I switched to using them as a debuff and my killbox's improved dramatically for it.

TL:DR Flips are the best debuffing trap in OMDU, and never more than average at killing.
    One thing I wanna say in regards to that, try soloing Highlands RL without flip traps. I think it might change your opinion on them.  It's definitely possible depending on your level, but then try it again with flips on the left lane around the 2nd guardian spot and see the difference.

BTW- I've started doing the alternating flip and spikes, it works well on a lot of places I used to just use flips. Some places still are flip exclusive, but it is better and cheaper in some places.
  • @statboy. i was just trying to point out that your are comparing a 3trap setup (tar, flip traps and spikes) to a single trap setup.  to be fair you would have to setup the way that person is.  A full row of only light flip traps and then say vic tar and haymakers in a killbox. now you have a 3trap to 3trap comparison. because the person you are hating on that is putting a row of flip or steam vents is useing those other traps in a killbox elsewhere.  

I can take almost any combo of 3traps and say it is better than just one.  I think alot of people on here see your point very clearly, but you don't seem to be as open minded to see it the other way around. 
    That's the entire point I'm making, glad you agree, that 3 trap setup's are superior to 1 trap. Yet I still see people doing 1 trap setup's on rift lord and trying to say they are better. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm not being open minded, please don't jump to conclusions about me.
  • @iAndy you are right, I do spam a bunch of flips are the top of the stairs, that area isn't good for building a killbox, and the wave comp is perfect to maximize flips. At the bottom the stairs I spam arrow walls and dragon lances, even put up a barricade after the first two waves of fire dudes at gone.
  • Oh here's another thing that annoys me:
    Random people who automatically send you a party invite just because you said something in global chat.
    Just because I'm having a conversation does not mean I want to party with unknown people doing unknown maps. Can't you see I'm busy talking!

If you are looking for a group, say so in global chat and announce what difficulty you are doing. 
2»