Are chest contents determined when obtained or when opened?

I've seen quite a few people mention that they're hoarding chests in hopes that if/when something is done to address the drop rates on traps (specifically the drop rate on traps that are already T7) they will be able to open those saved chests and have them roll with the updated drop rates.  This strategy completely relies on chests only determining their contents when opened rather than when they're obtained.  If, on the other hand, chest contents are determined when obtained instead then that strategy is not only completely useless but would also be hindering current progress.  Can someone settle this matter?  Are chest contents determined when obtained or when opened?

Comments

• I'm pretty certain I've noticed my skulls are calculated before the chest opens (from hero chest). 
  • yobbobear said:
    I'm pretty certain I've noticed my skulls are calculated before the chest opens (from hero chest). 
    Before the opening animation, which isn't the same as before opening.

OP question is actually interesting, I didn't see any hint of neither but I would bet that they are calculated when you click open.

If someone has some chests from before the patch, it would be easy to know by opening a few and checking the shield powerup drops.

I can see problems depending on future changes on both options though. It would be a shame that future changes would favor the drops too much without taking into account the limited amount of them and the already dropped. I actually saw something similar happen in two different games and it forced some people into rerolling (or creating a new account like could happen here) in order to not be in disadvantage.
  • In lieu of a dev response, I'd say it's almost certainly calculated on opening. It'd be much more annoying programming-wise to generate the contents and then save them for as long as it takes to open the chest, rather than just generating them and giving them to the player immediately without having to store them.
  • It's virtually certain that it content is determined at the moment of opening just form a technical perspective. I'd be much more storage requirements to pre-determine and store content.

That said it's not sure that holding on to chests is the right strategy either. It's been discussed that there will be a mechanism to deal with the overcards. It is imaginable that the chests aren't altered at all and that the only coming change is overcards. Given that even warmage chests can give decent rare gear etc I'm just opening everything. I suspect that Robot wouldn't want to have huge disparities between folks who opened all chests and folks who horde them, so my bet is that it's sensible to do either which in my case as I take as reading, that there really isn't much of a reason to not open them. But nobody but Robot knows so...
  • I would think opening. the second you click to open the chest, you get the exclamation if you have a new trap or enough skulls to upgrade something. I would think if it was on obtaining the chest, it would show that prior to opening.
  • edited February 6
    Gorkster said:
    It's virtually certain that it content is determined at the moment of opening just form a technical perspective. I'd be much more storage requirements to pre-determine and store content.

This game is already storing a lot of information about each player: their trap tiers, number of trap cards, installed parts, obtained parts, account level, best times on each map with each hero, etc. etc.  The infrastructure required to store player information server-side is already there.  It would be rather trivial for them to also store a list of unopened chests along with their contents.  For example, each chest could be assigned a value like '0001001002003004' where the first 4 ints represents the chest number, then each set of 3 ints following that could be the predetermined item for each roll slot (so 001 would point to a trap with code 001, etc.).  Worst case scenario players might have 500 unopened chests in their inventory, so they would need to store ~500 ints which is less than 8.00 KB.  That is rather insignificant, especially considering the average player opens chests as soon as they obtain them.  Basically what I'm saying is saving the contents of each chest would not be prohibitive enough to make them deliberately need to choose to have the chests roll their content when opened instead of when obtained.  That decision would probably be based on other factors, like guiding player behavior (e.g., having chest content set when the chest is obtained dissuades chest hoarding) or preventing exploits/bugs.

I would think opening. the second you click to open the chest, you get the exclamation if you have a new trap or enough skulls to upgrade something. I would think if it was on obtaining the chest, it would show that prior to opening.

That just means the items only get added to your inventory when you open the chests.  It tells you nothing about when the chest contents were determined. 

• SeanPoe said:
    Gorkster said:
    It's virtually certain that it content is determined at the moment of opening just form a technical perspective. I'd be much more storage requirements to pre-determine and store content.

Basically what I'm saying is saving the contents of each chest would not be prohibitive enough to make them deliberately need to choose to have the chests roll their content when opened instead of when obtained.  That decision would probably be based on other factors, like guiding player behavior (e.g., having chest content set when the chest is obtained dissuades chest hoarding) or preventing exploits/bugs.

For now we have no idea if chest will ever change. And given that they already said that they work on dealing with overflow cards, the need to touch chests will also not be that urgent. If you can turn your level 10 arrow walls into some upgrade for a rare, there is no need to horde chests to hope for that rare drop on a changed loot table. And if chests don't change it's literally indistinguishable how they are implemented and quite irrelevant.
  • edited February 22
    I saved up 5 chests before this newest patch and just opened them all.  I got ALL commons (23) except 2 uncommon BGH zappers and nothing new.  This is obviously not a very large sample size so I can't draw any conclusions based on this.   If anyone else saved up chests from 1.7 and opened them today in 1.8 can you post your results?  Specifically if you got one of the three new parts out of an old chests which would immediately prove that chests roll when opened. 
    Post edited by SeanPoe on
  • I should have 18 RL chests saved. I'll let you know how I go. 
  • I shall get my boom barrel roller one day! one day!
    So this is how we add small words under our post/comments.
  • Ha! Yeah right and I'll get a Lightning Rod. 
  • From my saved chests I got the jailer guardian, which at least proves that items that weren't in the loot table in 1.7 could be acquired from saved chests. I know for sure because it was the very first chest I opened. I also got my third spring parts (plus two more parts). I did get a number of commons too. Hard to tell if that constitutes an improved rate. Frankly none of the chests I opened that I got after the patch have been much better. In fact I was hoping that I'd get the Friar perhaps or the last missing trait, but no dice so far.
  • Exactly the same here as Gorkster, got new items on the few chests I had from the same week before the patch.
  • Saved chests from v1.7, opened in v1.8
    1 Apprentice Hero (inc 50 skulls), 1 Master, 6 Rift Lord Chests, 10 Rift Lord Hero Chests (all include 200 skulls).

App Hero: 54 Push

Master: 78 Naptha, 74 Floor spikes, 29 BGH Zapper

RL: 58 Decoy, 49 Ice Shard, 73 Decoy, 83 Shield, 17 Boulder Chute
    RL: 76 Push, 78 Barricades, 91 Shield, 33 Flip, 35 Steam
    RL: 30 Flip, 56 Steam, 47 Mana, 64 Wall Blades, 58 Decoys
    RL: 75 Steam, 45 Pounder, 70 Flip, 49 BGH Arrow Wall, 30 Grinder
    RL: 93 Pounder, 63 Naptha, 54 Brim, Overachiever Trait, 20 Spitfire
    RL: 75 Naptha, 90 Push, 21 Ice Vent, 43 Grinder, 17 Speed Pad

RLH: 40 Healing, 37 Tar, 41 Spikewall, 45 Brim
    RLH: 38 Wall Blades, 57 Steam, 67 Barricades, 50 Healing
    RLH: 58 Ice Shards, 46 Grinder, 16 Wall Charger, Revenge Rune
    RLH: 45 Shield, 60 Pounder, 48 Healing, 29 Great Wall
    RLH: 90 Mana, 69 Steam, 66 Healing, 43 Pounder
    RLH: 73 Wall Blades, 49 Floor Spikes, 37 Boom Barrels, 16 Spitfire
    RLH: 53 Decoys, 87 Cursed Ground, 54 Grinder, 16 Spitfire
    RLH: 51 Healing, 56 Flip, 20 Viscous Tar, 31 BGH Zapper
    RLH: 93 Cursed Ground, 36 Mana, 85 Arrow Wall, 30 Wall Blades
    RLH: 54 Steam, 76 Pounder, 52 Ceiling Ballista, 54 Conc Pounder

• Gorkster said:
    From my saved chests I got the jailer guardian, which at least proves that items that weren't in the loot table in 1.7 could be acquired from saved chests. I know for sure because it was the very first chest I opened. I also got my third spring parts (plus two more parts). I did get a number of commons too. Hard to tell if that constitutes an improved rate. Frankly none of the chests I opened that I got after the patch have been much better. In fact I was hoping that I'd get the Friar perhaps or the last missing trait, but no dice so far.
    Welp, fairly sure that settles it.