still haven't 5 star orcatraz and orcri-la?

here is something hopefully helps

Comments

• Good job. I am more old school TD and really struggle with all that running around stuff. Probably why I still struggle with most maps :-(
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Serious question: What do you guys think of these two maps? I find myself saying this often, but I LOVE THESE MAPS. I think Orcatraz might be my favorite map. I had a lot of trouble myself when we were first trying out Orcri-La (*shakes fist and curses at Swiftyhooves*) but I really like the idea of that map, too! 
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • ProtoZealottProtoZealott Member, Early Access
    edited February 25
    Harmonia said:
    Serious question: What do you guys think of these two maps? I find myself saying this often, but I LOVE THESE MAPS. I think Orcatraz might be my favorite map. I had a lot of trouble myself when we were first trying out Orcri-La (*shakes fist and curses at Swiftyhooves*) but I really like the idea of that map, too! 
    I found them to be really fun maps design wise, but rather easy to actually complete. This is probably due to being overleveled, as Swifty isn't much of a threat when Midnight can just 1 shot him.

Also onto the main topic, very nice guides!
  • I thought Orcri-la was very easy. 
    Orcatraz was a better map.

Is Swifty the default "we need to make this map harder" boss? Swifty seems to appear on so many maps. 
  • CruelerCrueler Member, War Mage Founder, Early Access
    The maps are cool. The only problems are that the Par Timer is even a thing in this game and that it's a Masters map.

Yes Swifty is probably the only boss that is hard. Nightmare for Bionka sometimes. I think it would be a smart idea to split him into 3 versions. Fast Swifty that does not run over walls and Slowfty that walks over walls and is slower. Then Ultimate Swifty that just functions as is.

I think slow melee characters should have a 100% damage bonus against Swifty, or at least let Bionka's knockback attack work against him. I landed every attack with Bionka and did maybe 65% damage (2 players, ally didn't help lol) but after that there was no way to catch up to him. With the right traps prepared though it might not be so bad.

Characters like Midnight slaughter swifty. Midnight slaughters everything with HP though.
  • Par time for Orcitraz especially isn't balanced for a master's map. Even over leveled I haven't gotten it yet, might have to try speed pads. You definitely have to spawn camp.
  • AFistAngrilyAFistAngrily Member, Early Access
    Orcatraz is a pretty solid map. It'd be nice if the holes were bigger and there wasn't so much crud around the edges of the map to make physics traps a more realistic option, but oh well. There's multiple barricade solutions, and an adequate amount of trappable space to let you use several completely different loadouts. You're allowed to use multiple different strategies to finish the map successfuly, which is my personal idea of a well-designed map.

Orcri-la is a gorgeous, wonderful, simple map completely ruined by the two side entrances. Especially the right-side one that spawns almost immediately next to the rift. As a result of that, there's exactly one logical way to set up barricades and exactly two areas to killbox in. Nearly the entire front half of the map is wasted space unless you're trying for par time like so many other maps, which you only ever have to do once.

I can't say much for minion selection and wave distribution. Once you've outleveled a map to a certain degree, the only minions you care about are the ones that can destroy barricades. That's a problem in and of itself, and not related to the maps in question.
  • You can always let the rift open ;)
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    For orcatraz I play it slightly differently. I merge top and left and I only use great walls for that merging and nowhere else. I don't use speed pads. To beat par the main requirement is to build damage behind the gates once it they are down. Ballistas are your friend for this. Right side can be build up to require no help at later waves with enough ballistas and vtar. I don't barricade into spawns so it's easy to deal with orc bombers. They die to forward traps.

For orcrila, par time is generous. One kill box near the left spawn can service the whole map and beat par. Dealing with swifty is the main challenge and requires some preparation for heroes who cannot deal with him easily. Put vtars down on his running lane and have a zone where you expect to kill him. Bionka can kill him quite easily when he is slowed on a vtar with a well-angled E or just straight up damage. Bring brimstone and grinders and firewall bracers to deal with early satyrs. Vtar at the left spawn to give time to deal with gnome destroyers before they can destroy nearby pathing great walls.

Neither of these approaches is superfast. But they are fast enough to make par and be easy to execute that all heroes can do it. And they require only moderate amount of map movement.
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    I played both of these last night and I enjoy both. Orcatraz is certainly more fun, and interestingly enough it's because I was camping the spawns. I really enjoyed that I could place traps behind their initial gate, and I ended up killing most of em in their door.

Orcri-La was fun, but bombers are the bane of my existance.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • bladeshadowbladeshadow Member
    edited February 26
    Harmonia said:
    Two of my favorite maps.  The sound/atmosphere of Orcatraz struck me as very unique compared to all the other maps in the game.  Great artistic flare on that one.  Took me 3 or 4 tries to 5 star Orcri-La thanks to Swiftyhooves, which was actually fun.  My brother and I argued about which gate he came from the first time, we weren't sure.  We chose incorrectly the next try in our Hero Seeker placement.  As far as design/layout, they are both fun to play.  I'd argue that while the general layout of barricades are fairly set in stone on Orcri-La as someone stated, it still has a lot of room to play with interesting load-outs and micro-barricade route changes.

I'm not a big fan of timers either for 5 stars, but they can be fun on a lot of maps.  These two I include in the fun ones.  There are some maps I'd rather pull my fingernails off than 5 star though.  :)  Frostbite?  Gates of Thuricvod?  Just shoot me.
  • @terrysongcn Were you level 100 when you did that? I tried your strat on Orcitraz as a level 75 and still couldn't get within 60 seconds of par time.

Has anybody at level 75 or below made 5*'s on Orcitraz? If so how?
  • Statboy said:
    @terrysongcn Were you level 100 when you did that? I tried your strat on Orcitraz as a level 75 and still couldn't get within 60 seconds of par time.

yea I'm lvl 100

apparently account level still impact damage way too much, and it seems devs still don't want to downscale or remove account level

so, just grind I guess
  • NananeaNananea Member, Moderator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
    Statboy said:
    @terrysongcn Were you level 100 when you did that? I tried your strat on Orcitraz as a level 75 and still couldn't get within 60 seconds of par time.

I've done it at level 65 with four seconds to spare. I did it with Dobbin initially, but I also showed my setup on The Killbox on Friday. You can view it here:  (38:00 is the start of Orcatraz).
    NananeaOMD
    Robot Entertainment | Community Video Coordinator | Skull Ninja
  • StatboyStatboy Member
    edited February 27
    Nananea said:

I've done it at level 65 with four seconds to spare. I did it with Dobbin initially, but I also showed my setup on The Killbox on Friday. You can view it here:  (38:00 is the start of Orcatraz).
    I tried it with Dobbin, my setup was a little different than yours because I haven't gotten many haymakers (mine are tier 2), so I used my ballista which are tier 6 instead. My V.tar is at tier 5, otherwise it was all tier 7's. Its that top lane that destroys my time, I couldn't keep the barricades up, and satyrs broke free on me the same as in your run with temper (I didn't let any into the rift though). My best times so far are 11:36 with both Midnight and Zoey. My fastest strat so far is to fill the top lane with flips and v tar that throw the runners into the pit.

So far this is harder to 5* than any other map.
  • NananeaNananea Member, Moderator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
    Statboy said:
    Nananea said:

I tried it with Dobbin, my setup was a little different than yours because I haven't gotten many haymakers (mine are tier 2), so I used my ballista which are tier 6 instead. My V.tar is at tier 5, otherwise it was all tier 7's. Its that top lane that destroys my time, I couldn't keep the barricades up, and satyrs broke free on me the same as in your run with temper (I didn't let any into the rift though). My best times so far are 11:36 with both Midnight and Zoey. My fastest strat so far is to fill the top lane with flips and v tar that throw the runners into the pit.

So far this is harder to 5* than any other map.
    I had trouble with the Satyrs breaking through as well. Even at tier 2, the haymakers should help you a lot since they are more about disabling the satyrs during their shield time than killing them. Grinders instead of Wall Blades may be your best bet for the wall as well. Keep at it, you'll get it!
    NananeaOMD
    Robot Entertainment | Community Video Coordinator | Skull Ninja
  • DanzomanzoDanzomanzo Member
    edited March 7
    Oh, five starring Orcatraz DEFINITELY took a few tries for me. Then I had one run where I managed to shave a minute for no apparent reason. But I do think this map needs the par time increased by thirty seconds. It's the new (master) Docks at Eventide, and it's that sort of map where the only way to five star it is to absolutely overload one corridor with traps and a guardian so that it will look after itself, while you camp the other spawns. But with the par time the way it is, I'm not sure this map is even possible for some heroes like Hogarth/Temper. Did it with Maximilian by the way.
    Post edited by Danzomanzo on
  • I quite like both Orcatraz and Orcri-La both for their atmosphere and their game play. I've managed to 5* Orcatraz as level ~62 with Max. It took a few tries and some frantic running around but eventually I managed it with arcane bowling ball, cursed ground, floor spikes, dragon lances, viscous tar, grinders and barricades. The point of using the bowling ball was to try an idea I had to place most of the traps in long straight lines and get the bowling ball traps shooting along those same lines. I've not 5*:ed Orcri-La but haven't tried very hard yet either.
  • I didnt like orcatraz because it feels like an almost exact copy of the majority of other maps.  I missed par by several minutes and havent gone back to get all my chests.  Orcri-la wasnt as bad but felt really cramped.  There is so much real estate that you cant put traps on it just makes me feel like I can't be creative.

I don't remember having a problem with master stables.  I looked and my best time is 9:01 vs a 13:00 par.  That just shows how silly and out of wack the par times are in this game.

• I didnt like orcatraz because it feels like an almost exact copy of the majority of other maps.  I missed par by several minutes and havent gone back to get all my chests.  Orcri-la wasnt as bad but felt really cramped.  There is so much real estate that you cant put traps on it just makes me feel like I can't be creative.

I don't remember having a problem with master stables.  I looked and my best time is 9:01 vs a 13:00 par.  That just shows how silly and out of wack the par times are in this game.