An announcement on OMD!U European Publishing

SixOkaySixOkay Member, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access

Oh, Hello.

We’ve been pretty busy over here on Orcs Must Die! Unchained. Temper is finally back in the game, and we’re working on a ton of polish these days. It’s been a long road to get here, but we’ve got our best days ahead of us. With that in mind, I wanted to let you know about some big changes coming up.

Our European publisher, Gameforge, has been a valuable and supportive partner over the last 3+ years. After careful consideration, we have made the joint decision to combine the European and North American players under the single Robot Entertainment banner. This means that Robot Entertainment will be taking over the publishing and support for all of our players and that we can finally give our community one of their biggest requests – a single account system so you can play with your friends from anywhere in North America and Europe.

But how is this going to work? On March 21st, Gameforge will be emailing each of its OMDU players a unique migration code. Those players will be able to use that unique code to migrate their Gameforge account data to a Robot Entertainment account. More details can be found in the FAQ at the bottom of this post.

We look forward to getting to know the EU community and making sure that they are as close to us here at Robot Entertainment as the rest of the community has become.

Thanks!

Chris Rippy
VP of Production
Robot Entertainment

FAQ

Q. How do I migrate my account?
A. The procedure below applies to Gameforge users, Gameforge Portal users and Steam users.

1. You will receive an email containing a migration code on March 21st, 2017.
  2. Register a new account at https://orcsmustdie.com/#!/en/migrate (not yet active) using this code.
  3. When registering, you will need to enter your unique code and the tool will then migrate your Gameforge account game progress to your new Robot Entertainment account.
  4. If your name is already in use, you will have to pick a new one.

Q. Where will Gameforge be sending the codes?
A. Migration codes will be sent to the email address that is associated with your Gameforge Orcs Must Die! Unchained account. Please make sure that this information is up to date. Without your code, you will not be able to migrate your accounts.

Q. When should I expect to get my code by email?
A. Emails containing your account migration codes will be sent out on March 21st.

Q. Can I migrate my account to Robot Entertainment before this time?
A. No. Migration will first be opened on March 21st, 2017.

Q. Will I need to create a new OMDU account?
A. You will need to have a Robot Entertainment account. Your migration code email will contain a link to a setup tool on OrcsMustDie.com that will help walk you through the process of creating a Robot Entertainment account if you do not already have one.

Q. Can I keep my username?
A. Since you are migrating to a server with an existing user population, you will not be able to keep your username if someone else has already taken it. You will need to enter your username when registering a new account with Robot Entertainment.

Q. Will I keep all of my in-game progress and purchases?
A. Yes. Your Gameforge account details will be migrated to your Robot Entertainment account. Anything that is stackable – traps and consumables – will be added to whatever is already on your Robot Entertainment account, if anything.

Q. What if I have already played and made progress in my existing Robot Entertainment account?
A. Anything not stackable will be assigned to your account according to whichever value is higher. For example, if you have a level 7 Robot Entertainment account and a level 40 Gameforge account, the resulting account after the migration will be a level 40 account. Here’s a full list of what is included in this category:

• Trap tier
  • Account Level
  • Starred Maps and Unlocked Buckets
  • High scores and leaderboard progress
  • Heroes and Skins
  • Dyes
You will not carry over any friends, guilds, or guild status.

Q. What about my trap parts?
A. You will get all of your trap parts. If you have slotted them already, they will simply be returned to your inventory. You will need to re-slot them after the migration.

Q. What about my gold, how will that work?
A. Any unspent gold will be migrated and converted to the Robot Entertainment rate and added to the Robot Entertainment account.

Q. Will my game and network performance be negatively affected?
A. We will be maintaining EU servers for OMDU. If you are playing using matchmaking, or with region-local friends, your network performance will not be negatively affected. If you intentionally play custom matches with a friend overseas, you may experience some minor network lag depending on your network connection and internet service provider.

Q. Will I now play with the North American players?
A. All OMDU players will now be able to become friends and play with one another. There will be a single Robot Entertainment account system.

Q. Will the EU and NA communities continue to be separate?
A. We are still working out the specifics, but we fully intend to maintain EU and NA communities on the Orcs Must Die! website. Our goal is to foster one big, happy OMDU community as much as we can while still making sure we pay specific attention to regional communities.

Q. When will the Gameforge EU servers close?
A. The Gameforge EU service will remain live until March 14th, 2017. From that day on, the Gameforge EU servers will be shut down. You will be able to migrate your account from March 21st, 2017 onwards. You can find more information about the migration process in Question 1 of the FAQ and/or the instruction e-mail that Gameforge sends on March 21st.

Q. Can I access all services until then?
A. Gameforge’s Support system and forums will remain active until April 30th, 2017.

Q. How long do I have to migrate my account?
A. Players will have until September 30th, 2017 to initiate the migration of their account to the Robot Entertainment servers. After that date, no data can be migrated over.

Connect!

@SixOkay
Robot Entertainment | Marketing Manager
Post edited by SixOkay on

Comments

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Thanks.
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    Sounds like it's going to be great for the community, the game and likely also easier for you guys to maintain!
  • IntikhabIntikhab Member
    edited February 28
    Finally I can play with everyone :) even devs!
  • Done and done! And now we wait.....
  • SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    The Gameforge EU service will remain live until March 14th, 2017. From that day on, the Gameforge EU servers will be shut down. You will be able to migrate your account from March 21st, 2017 onwards.

So what happens between March 14th and March 21st?  Does that mean EU players won't be able to play the game at all during that one week period? 

• LiacuLiacu Member
    Always thought it was odd the game had EU and NA servers, especially since the game isn't too heavily affected by latency compared to most games.
  • JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access
    according to the EU announcement, both EU and NA will be down for a week while they migrate... or so I was told... =(
  • SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    Jacowboy said:
    according to the EU announcement, both EU and NA will be down for a week while they migrate... or so I was told... =(
    Oh, well it would have been nice to get this information from Robot too on the NA forums.  Seems like a pretty important thing to just leave out of the FAQ.

For anyone interested in the quote from the EU forums:
    When will the EU servers close?
    The Gameforge EU service will remain live until 14th of March. From that day on, the Gameforge EU servers will be shut down. Since the servers of Robot Entertainment will be shut down for a week to get everything ready for the transition, you will be able to transfer your account from the 21st of March onwards. You can find more information about the transfer process in Question 1 of the FAQ and/or the instruction e-mail we send you on 21/03/2017
    So basically, if this is accurate, both NA and EU players won't be able to play the game at all between March 14th and March 21st. 

• JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access
    It's 2 weeks away, we should get a proper annoucement about the shutdown at some point, I reckon... But they do kinda need to warn people about the migration asap.
  • SixOkaySixOkay Member, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
    Yes, the servers will be down from March 14-21 while we prepare everything for the patch and the migration. That's your unofficial announcement. :)
    @SixOkay
    Robot Entertainment | Marketing Manager
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    @SixOkay Beat me to it! :lol: 

We're really looking forward to getting to know you all better and welcome you into the global community! 
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • BragdrasBragdras Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    We won't have to go through steam launcher right?
    Bragdras said:
    We won't have to go through steam launcher right?
    You never had to, both servers have always been playable with their own launcher.
  • EnzeEnze Member, Early Access
    edited March 7
    As you're taking back the European community, will you also translate the game in European languages (especially French) as it was announced many years ago ?
    Enze said:
    As you're taking back the European community, will you also translate the game in European languages (especially French) as it was announced many years ago ?
    Hey, what about the other languages? no discrimination :D

• HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Hey guys, great questions :) I believe we've already stated this publicly so I won't get in too much trouble for saying that the game will have several localized languages once it's launched. We'll have more details to share as that gets closer! :)
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • EnzeEnze Member, Early Access
    Thank you Harmonia, good to know this still is planned :)
    I wasn't sure if was a Robot or a Gameforge announcement

Hey, what about the other languages? no discrimination :D
    You know how the French people are, always selfish :D
  • sChmarcsChmarc Member
    edited March 8
    what would be the situation after the migration, if i have a tundra on my level 14 robotaccount but i dont have tundra on my level 60 gameforge account? will i still own tundra? and what about guardians, will they migrate too? and what about the skulls, will they also be converted or will they just be added?
    greatzzz
    Post edited by sChmarc on
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    sChmarc said:
    what would be the situation after the migration, if i have a tundra on my level 14 robotaccount but i dont have tundra on my level 60 gameforge account? will i still own tundra? and what about guardians, will they migrate too? and what about the skulls, will they also be converted or will they just be added?
    greatzzz
    based on this:
    SixOkay said:

FAQ

Q. What if I have already played and made progress in my existing Robot Entertainment account?
    A. Anything not stackable will be assigned to your account according to whichever value is higher. For example, if you have a level 7 Robot Entertainment account and a level 40 Gameforge account, the resulting account after the migration will be a level 40 account. Here’s a full list of what is included in this category:

• Trap tier
    • Account Level
    • Starred Maps and Unlocked Buckets
    • High scores and leaderboard progress
    • Heroes and Skins
    • Dyes
    You will not carry over any friends, guilds, or guild status.

I would guess that "Assigned to your account according to whichever value is higher" would mean that, for each bullet:
    • trap tier takes the higher tier of trap (Tier 7 steam vent and t1 shock zapper on one, tier 3 steam vent and tier 3 shock zapper on other, leaves you with t7 steam vent & tier 3 shock zapper)
    • Account level matches the higher account level (as in the above example)
    • Map progress goes based on whichever account has more. I would assume this means if one account has a map 5* and the other doesn't, it acts 5*'d. This would probably happen on an individual map basis.
    • Highscores/leaderboards take higher per map.
    • Heroes and skins work on a binary system - 1 if you have it, 0 if you don't. By this I mean: Any hero or skin you have on either account, should be unlocked on your new account.
    • Dyes should work the same way as heroes and skins.
    Now, this is all just my take on it. But as a programmer, that's the way that would make sense to me.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • sChmarcsChmarc Member
    edited March 9
    yeah thats my opinion too and i wanted to make sure wether im right or wrong. thanks for your point of view!