Chat Suggestions

TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
edited March 6 in Suggestion Box
I'm sorry but I'll be harsh here. 

It seems like I'm chatty in the dashboard and with the new chat I have encountered so so many problems. Some happen all the time, others just often but all are very very frustrating.

It might be mostly bugs but it's still a great annoying collection:

• Most Annoying of all: When someone that you had an "active" conversation/private message with, disconnects. When someone disconnects, the selected player to send a private message changes. There is this drop-down list with names of "active" messages at the Friend chat. Well, when any of that list disconnects, your current one changes to the next, even if you are writing to someone.
  • It's very messy and clustered. Conversations are mixed and it's terrible. Most of the time it's hard to tell if you sent or received a message and from/to who.
  • Sometimes the Friend Chat tab just closes/disappears even if you had conversations there but if you start another one then old messages appear again, or even new messages get hidden by this.
  • Has some annoying bugs like the dropdown list of friend chats going black or the addition of some huge blank chunk making you scroll quite a lot every time you receive some message.
  • When a lobby is launched, the chat is closed and if you were typing, the message is lost.
  • Also when you are invited to a party.
  • In-game chat still only lets you use /r once per message received. You can't use /r to reply twice a message received.
  • The Notifications don't close at the same time when you open the chat (some unnecessary delay) and pretty much block it for a sec or so.

I know it might not be the definitive version but the older one felt better in many ways.

That said, notes and ideas I want to add:

• I'm okay with one chat window only distributed in tabs, but private messaging CAN'T be all on the same tab.
  • The Notifications don't last long enough imho, it's cool that they refresh if more messages are received but last one should be kept for longer.
  • Not being able to click on names in-game to reply more efficiently isn't helping. Getting 2 messages from 2 different people while in-game is pretty annoying to reply to.
  • Mentions/highlight your name would be cool, not a very necessary thing though.
  • Blocking private messaging, invites from no-friends and even friend requests could be a useful feature. Got annoyed by a few people spamming me before.
Post edited by Harmonia on

Comments

• SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.

My suggestions (mainly the same as Timemasters):

Each person you're private messaging should have their own tab like before.  Private message tabs need to persist even after the person you're talking to logs off.  Instead let players close these tabs manually with a standard X to close button.  There's a reason why basically all chat programs are setup like this.  I don't really understand why OMDU is trying to change up the standard when this system works so well.

Party and game chat should be merged into one tab and channel.  There's no way to play games with people outside your party so party and game will always contain the same exact people anyways.  This is just confusing clutter.  Also party/game chat tabs need to persist even if someone in the group leaves the party (this is probably just a bug though).

Maybe allow the chat tabs to work when you bring up the CTRL menu in-game.  At the very least allow /r to respond to the same person multiples times or make "/w <name>" autofill the name if someone recently whispered you.  For example if 'Bob' whisper me and i type "/w b" it should autofill to "/w bob" so i can quickly return whispers to people from in a game.

Allow special characters that show up on a standard keyboard and don't require Alt code or Unicode in chat.  There's no reason for a '+' or '=' to not work (at least a non-programming reason).  At the very least all standard math symbols (plus, minus, equals, etc.) should work since they're typically used to explain game mechanics to other players. 

Make the chat automatically scroll down to the bottom as new messages are posted if you were already at the bottom of the previous message.  Nothing is more frustrating than having to constantly scroll down the chat box to see if someone posted something new.  Like when i'm having a PM with someone i'm basically sitting there scrolling down every 10s to see if they responded yet. 

Add the whisper sound notification back.  If people don't like it then add a toggle in the chat options to turn it off. 
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    SeanPoe said:

Party and game chat should be merged into one tab and channel.  There's no way to play games with people outside your party so party and game will always contain the same exact people anyways.  This is just confusing clutter.  Also party/game chat tabs need to persist even if someone in the group leaves the party (this is probably just a bug though).

Allow special characters that show up on a standard keyboard and don't require Alt code or Unicode in chat.  There's no reason for a '+' or '=' to not work (at least a non-programming reason).  At the very least all standard math symbols (plus, minus, equals, etc.) should work since they're typically used to explain game mechanics to other players. 
    You can queue as a party of 2 and get in a match with a third, so there is that case...

I think those symbols are just removed, I don't think you can send any of those even using any fancy methods.
  • SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    Well you can't use those party/game chat channels in-game anyways because when the game launches it opens up a totally separate chat session that isn't tied to the original group and game channels.  So what use is the split game and group channels?

I know symbols aren't allowed but the chat still lets you type them, they just won't be sent (so it's very confusing).  My suggestion was to allow the standard special symbols to actually be sent into the chat when you hit enter. 
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Maybe if when being matchmade a "temporal party" were made, it wouldn't be necessary to have those 2 chats. Although if you are in a party of 2 and got a 3rd on matchmaking, you could always use private messages if you want to avoid the third.

It looks like the game chat is a temporal fix or something that could be useful if some things changed or were implemented.