"Premium Shoppe" - I don't like it. What about you?

2»

Comments

• edited March 11
    I've played this game for 2+ years and since the switch to the new RNG meta, I cannot find it in myself to put money into the game.  

Don't get me wrong, I used my coin I already had from the reset on characters, skins, dyes, and a few trap chests (Do yourselves a favor and don't buy those) but after seeing how awful the RNG was, how much was overlooked when they allowed Tier 7 drops to continue, and listening and reading all of the feedback similar to my own experiences, I simply cannot support this type of system and I make a point to tell those that I occasionally play the game with to be careful on what they decide to put money on.

It's great to unlock a whole trap all at once, it truly feels better than grinding maps for Ethereal Motes.  At the start.  But once you look at it in the long run.  You at least got to choose what you spent your time grinding for in the old system.  You grind for motes, and specific maps that gave motes more often than not, and you could build/upgrade any trap you desired. (Add in Embers for characters, shards for gear, fat for consumables, etc.)   Yes, grinding was definitely a thing, and it may have been worse than it is now (I'm not sure) however, there was an essence of choice in that mechanic that would actually hold the attention of those playing the game.  I gladly spent a few hours grinding for Motes in order to upgrade a trap.

Now however, you have no control.  And looking at the Premium Shoppe, you have practically no control over what those chests are going to give you.  I'm already imagining the influx of people who turn in Gibs, and receive less Gibs in return when the trap they were going to receive is already capped at Tier 7.  

The only positive impact, outside of gameplay, that I've seen in regards to the RNG was the Daily Deals.  These deals may be a bit pricey, but they at least let you try to have some control in a game where your deck is pretty much controlled by RNG strings.  

Those deals were the right direction.  A bit of choice in an RNG system.  Straight RNG is not the answer. 

• Juicy said:
    This is a logical concern. This is one of the reasons I believe you should have everything unlocked from the getgo, but still need to upgrade it. Able to use everything, however not everything at T7. That said, in the current iteration of the system (and the proposed gib store, I imagine) the idea is RNG. You've got a chance to get what you want, and in practice it's worked pretty well for getting most items. It's getting alot of the same object that proves to be difficult (whether that be upgrading traps or getting lots of one part). The gib store should, theoretically, remedy that. It should lower the RNG pool to just items that you should already have difficulty getting. For example, I've cleared most of the maps on the game. I have almost every trap/guardian/gear/trait, but I'm missing a hefty chunk of parts, and I've got alot of rare/epic traps that are t2-4 instead of t6-7 like my uncommon and common traps. As I understand the suggested store, it will be limited to certain items (probably the ones you've got problems getting lots of now) - essentially balancing out your deck.

The only problem I see with the suggested store is making sure the ratio is right (If you can buy one gib chest after getting a bajillion gibs, the system won't work), and that the system is aimed at high level players.

P.S. to actually address your question, it kind of breaks the progression system. Now, you could jack the prices way up to compensate, and offer the proposed chests, or specific items for 10x the amount (allowing you to unlock exactly what you want, but you're gunna pay for it). That's something they'll have to decide. But if you make them available for a low amount, you unfortunately just break the progression system.
    Anytime your core design revolves around RNG to acquire and progress through the game it's later changed to a different system later on because it's not balanced. Point and case, Diablo 3. RNG is just that; RNG. It'll work for a little while until a better system is implemented.
  • edited March 14
    Juicy said:
    This is a logical concern. This is one of the reasons I believe you should have everything unlocked from the getgo, but still need to upgrade it. Able to use everything, however not everything at T7. That said, in the current iteration of the system (and the proposed gib store, I imagine) the idea is RNG. You've got a chance to get what you want, and in practice it's worked pretty well for getting most items. It's getting alot of the same object that proves to be difficult (whether that be upgrading traps or getting lots of one part). The gib store should, theoretically, remedy that. It should lower the RNG pool to just items that you should already have difficulty getting. For example, I've cleared most of the maps on the game. I have almost every trap/guardian/gear/trait, but I'm missing a hefty chunk of parts, and I've got alot of rare/epic traps that are t2-4 instead of t6-7 like my uncommon and common traps. As I understand the suggested store, it will be limited to certain items (probably the ones you've got problems getting lots of now) - essentially balancing out your deck.

The only problem I see with the suggested store is making sure the ratio is right (If you can buy one gib chest after getting a bajillion gibs, the system won't work), and that the system is aimed at high level players.

P.S. to actually address your question, it kind of breaks the progression system. Now, you could jack the prices way up to compensate, and offer the proposed chests, or specific items for 10x the amount (allowing you to unlock exactly what you want, but you're gunna pay for it). That's something they'll have to decide. But if you make them available for a low amount, you unfortunately just break the progression system.
    Anytime your core design revolves around RNG to acquire and progress through the game it's later changed to a different system later on because it's not balanced. Point and case, Diablo 3. RNG is just that; RNG. It'll work for a little while until a better system is implemented.
    The difference is that Diablo is not a free to play game.  This game is probably closer to Hearthstone than Diablo in terms of how progression is supposed to work (theoretically).  With the upside that they only do this with traps and there's basically no reason to spend money after $50.  <- You can get all but two heroes AND 1500 skulls for $50, which means you basically don't ever need to spend money on chests.

..... On second thought the system may just be flawed anyways.  But the trap rng is there so that people can't easily get everything for free.  Diablo, theoretically, is not supposed to be a free to play game.
  • The current system discourages players from attempting diversified loadouts. I'm always so skull starved, trying to upgrade the traps that I use as high a tier as possible, and buying more on deals when available. I have every trap unlocked, but they are nearly all tier 1. Why would I want to even try playing with any of them? I need to play Rift Lord, or at least Masters, to get enough skulls per game, but the only maps tier 1 traps are worth on are Apprentice and War Mage...
  • edited March 15
    Spydalisk said:
    The current system discourages players from attempting diversified loadouts. I'm always so skull starved, trying to upgrade the traps that I use as high a tier as possible, and buying more on deals when available. I have every trap unlocked, but they are nearly all tier 1. Why would I want to even try playing with any of them? I need to play Rift Lord, or at least Masters, to get enough skulls per game, but the only maps tier 1 traps are worth on are Apprentice and War Mage...
    It's a f2p game.  If you weren't hurting at least a bit for the f2p currency, the game wouldn't be able to make any money and would go under.  Being skull starved is not a particular problem.

I think there are problems though.  Due to rng and since specific traps are so hard to get, it's become super obvious that no one needs any of them.  I think this is the big problem.  Because we don't get to use those traps and players are still able to easily do the high level content, it is blatantly obvious that those traps are completely extraneous to being able to beat the game.  It feels like OMD1 where swinging mace + tar was just the way to go.

I mean I spent $50 on the game and they aren't ever going to get another cent from me because I can't justify spending money on traps I don't need and I don't like the cosmetics.
  • Sure, and as far as F2P systems go, it could be a lot worse than it is right now, there's no arguing that. The distinction between F2P and P2W is often blurred in many games.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be different, though. OMD2 had a completely different system for unlocking and improving traps than we have with OMDU, for example.

F2P games can get income from different sources. Vanity products, like skins, might not appeal to every custommer, but at least it's one method of getting income with little risk of alienating anyone. And from what I've heard from other games, some people are willing to spend a ton on skins...

Also, further reducing the diversity of traps that we get to use (without sucking) is the fact that we are being forced a lot more in our choices than before. In OMD1-2, the whole array of 1-0 was customizable. You could choose to not even have a weapon. Or to have a bunch. To have some trinkets, or none. It was completely up to you. Now, 1 is forced into being an attack, 2-3 are forced into being trinkets. Since either barricades or long walls are almost necessary, plus either tar or viscous tar, then slots 4-5 are occupied. Meaning that, in the end, you really just have slots 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0 to customize. Your best floor trap, your best wall trap, your best roof trap... you are left with 1 trap slot to "spice things up". Sure, you can switch up heroes to diversify your gameplay, at least a bit, but for the loadout...

Not to mention that parts cannot be set at the game loadout screen, so you kinda have to focus a few traps in advance on which you put your parts, and rarely ever change.

In the end, I find myself pretty much always playing with exactly the same loadout in OMDU, while in OMD and OMD2, I would frequently switch them up a lot. And sometimes I'd decide to give myself some challenges, such as "spells only", "physics traps only", and such. It was easy and quick to set up. Not so much with OMDU. I'm getting to the point where this game is starting to feel pretty repetitive and redundant.

I'm not saying things are utterly terrible. But I see room for improvement.
2»