Why doesn't Robot make guide videos?

SpamwagonSpamwagon Member, Master Founder, Early Access
edited March 9 in General Discussion
I certainly wouldn't mind a curated experience when looking at different heroes.  There are a handful of them that I don't know WHAT to do with- I figure I am just missing something, because they seem like garbage.  It would be nice if you guys had a primer on what/how all your characters can do/are meant to be played.
Post edited by Harmonia on

Comments

• SpamwagonSpamwagon Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    You know.. like  pretty much every other MOBA in existence.

• NananeaNananea Member, Moderator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
    We have videos for all hero abilities in the workshop. Click the hero you want to view, then abilities, then click the play button. 

You can also check out videos for each hero on this YouTube playlist 

Hope this helps.
    NananeaOMD
    Robot Entertainment | Community Video Coordinator | Skull Ninja
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    I think he means something not that basic. Some videos that have an explanation of possible builds, playstyles, what traps/killboxes are best with those, etc.

I think It's hard for new players to fully understand heroes and match them with traits, gear and everything else to be more effective.
  • Haha, I'll say it then shall I? Orcs After Dark will be shown at 6:30 CT this evening on the OMDU Twitch channel, and The Killbox will be on the same time tomorrow. I don't know for sure if you'll find exactly what you're looking for, but both shows revolve around the team playing the game. Oh and speaking of YouTube, getting more involved with uploading OMDU content would probably help boost the playerbase and get the name out there a little.
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    As Danzomanzo said, we'll be streaming tonight! You should come hang out in the stream and watch us play. It's a lot of fun :)

As much time as we play the game here at Robot, and we do have some *very* good players in the office, the community is ultimately the best resource for tips, strategies, guides, and suggestions of all kinds. We just featured one of the most community video creators earlier this week! He's working his way through 5-starring each level, and I recommend checking out his videos.

You can check out VermillionPhoenix's channel here, and our interview with him here!
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • Harmonia said:
    As Danzomanzo said, we'll be streaming tonight! You should come hang out in the stream and watch us play. It's a lot of fun :)

As much time as we play the game here at Robot, and we do have some *very* good players in the office, the community is ultimately the best resource for tips, strategies, guides, and suggestions of all kinds. We just featured one of the most community video creators earlier this week! He's working his way through 5-starring each level, and I recommend checking out his videos.

You can check out VermillionPhoenix's channel here, and our interview with him here!
    I've seen his videos and he's doing a good job. Not many people are doing 5 star guides on youtube. He's one of them.

However, there is still one thing, all his guides were done with over-leveled heroes. He didn't use all T7 traps to stomp maps but that probably was due to his hero damage was much higher than the map required level. In other words, I doubt new players who just copy his killbox will be able to 5 star due to having a lower account level.

I don't know if he can see this, but I'd suggest him to make 5 star guides within the required level range so that new players don't have to go through the grinding process to be able to repeat what he did.
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    I think Vermillion Phoenix (@mdragoon) guides are actually very useful for new people.

He uses low tier traps for pretty much all the levels, and he doesn't outlevel most of them THAT much. 

However the best point I see is that he uses very easy to follow trap setups which are surely not the most efficient but are simple and easy to understand how they work.

Also in most of the videos he plays a rather comfy and simple strategy, without having to do fancy stuff with the hero nor playing extremely efficient with them. Basic gear also makes it easy to follow.

It might be true that he relies a bit too much on hero damage, but that's also what most new people does. Because new people doesn't have a deep understanding of what killboxes are or how they work. And they can't play very complex or advanced strategies.

Watching him, helps me understand how new people thinks and what kind of strategies they use. I would lie if I say that most of them don't make me cringe or look silly but if they work they must be not that silly. As I said, most likely not super efficient, but works and some made me question myself how do they work or why.
  • JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access
    I did some videos as well, but I'm also in the case of being too overleveled... so I just did them to show killbox ideas. When the game is released and there are no more changes to par-times and all that, I might do videos for maps within level range... but at this point it'd be a bit useless if they changed the maps before release.

So I'll wait for Beta to be over, and upload some videos with KB ideas in the meanwhile...
    I appreciate that you guys have put in videos for how abilities fire off and whatnot.  Like I said though, what I am looking for is kind of a "curated" experience, when I look at a new character (new to me anyway).  A kind of general "What role this character is meant to fill and what their strengths are".

Thank you for the invitation to watch your streaming content - but I am not really talking about just me.   It would be beneficial to your game to have the kind of general video I am talking about available to players when they go to look at the character description - IN GAME

@Timemaster -Prior to even making this post I hit up Vermillion Phoenix.   He plans to make guide videos on every character in the stable.  I expect he will do a good job, but I don't understand why Robot doesn't seem to want to do this.
  • I still think that if possible it would be a good idea to have some manual limits able to be set by the player when playing a map, this way we could actually try to make setups that mirror what a newer player has to deal with going into a stage rather than revisiting everything overleveled as well.

Per @TimeMaster a lot of setups don't work for 5 stars now that the map pars have been adjusted and I expected that but this simultaneously creates a problem with people relying on older videos and is the general issue with creating guides for a beta.
    Archivist of the Order, feel free to ask me any questions you have!
    Well, after watching the "Orcs After Dark" twitch thing - I am even MORE curious why Robot doesn't offer a more "voice-overed", SLICK presentation for each character.  They obviously have the talent available to do such.
  • I've done a few videos for Stinkeye, and one for Smolder, however, I refuse to put that much effort into a video when the info is going to change. It's frustrating at an editing level due to the knowledge that I spent hours on editing a video for outdated information and have to make a new one.  It is also frustrating to make a video and see it get no support from the team.  So, I generally stick to making a 5-star run of Weekly Challenges at this point until release.  

I'll gladly make a video explaining characters, however, I refuse to do it if simple questions like "will this character be altered dramatically in the upcoming patches?" be actually answered. 

Vee said it right, it is a risk to make videos for a beta, and I hate giving outdated/wrong information out.  So, until a bit more communication is open, or the game is pretty much released, I will just wait to do some videos.  In a favor to the audoence, so they don't have an outdated video.