SABOTAGE new HEAD to HEAD mode :)

TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
Check this out:

Comments

• AFistAngrilyAFistAngrily Member, Early Access
    I'm skeptical, personally. Skeptical, and with a lot of questions. I'm sure some of those will be answered later.

Mostly I'm worried that re-introducing a competitive mode to the game will put every existing concern and grievance under a microscope. This announcement also comes before the introduction of the premium shop and in the middle of what feels like several iterations of balance tweaks to heroes and traps. Any advantage a player has over another player in terms of item or hero acquisition (or even account level, if that's a factor) is going to make things a lot less fun on the receiving end. People who don't have the "right" heroes or use the "right" traps will get dumped on by their own teammates.

I'm also concerned this will split the playerbase, extending queue times and making group finding even harder.

So I'm worried. But I imagine this is quite a long way out from being on the live servers, and acting like I know everything from a 5-minute video is just foolish. So I'll quietly hope to myself that I'm just being paranoid.
  • Ohhhhhhh...

that look nice 
  • I suppose this is the announcement they were going to make in the Orcs After Dark stream later today. So if you have questions ask them there. They have been working on a lot of stuff. :open_mouth:
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • The only problem I see with this is that there isn't enough buttons on controllers. With every single one of my buttons being taken up already. So I may have to start playing with a mouse and keyboard.

But everything looks great.
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    Disco ball ftw!
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    Lots to learn about this, for example does this require 3v3 or is there a solo and 2v2 mode?
  • My only question by now is... WHEN?

I am guessing that patch 2.0 will be THE patch, that will introduce a lot of content to the game.
  • Brilliant! This is exactly the PvP I wanted to see. I hope they really nail the execution of this one. Looking forward to it.
  • HuskeyHuskey Member
    This is definitely a good way to add more content to the game as PvP pretty much can provide endless 'new' content because matches are rarely the same. Since it's technically 'indirect PvP' it will be easier to balance and maintain without changing heroes!

This was definitely a good route for Robot to take for now! Sometime if the far far distant future I still do hope for Siege or direct PvP to come back, but for now, this is the best step they could have taken. I'm quite excited!  
  • ProtoZealottProtoZealott Member, Early Access
    Could be fun for a bit,  a better way to tackle "PvP" in a game like this for sure. Really don't like the consumable nature of it though, and it potentially offers an innate imbalance to those that just spend a bunch of skulls on the strongest powerups, which could be worrying.

Also, hopefully traps and account level will be scaled down like weekly challenges, or that could be disastrous for it's long term enjoyment as the ceiling to even enter it becomes higher and higher over time. It would be a rather disappointing experience for just about everyone involved if those of us with an account level of 80+ and a full t7 loadout just wipe out lower level players every time due to stats, as opposed to experience and skill.

All that said, definitely looking forward to trying it, and if it ends up being a popular mainstay, there might finally be a reason to join a guild again!
  • Quick bits @Bugs911 turned up in chat to answer some questions. 
    @Gorkster yes you can play 2v2
    Release for this is 19th two weeks. 
    You get chests as rewards. 
    And on OrcsAfterDark they are going to be playing this game mode at 6:30 pm CT today. Answering questions.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • SixOkaySixOkay Member, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
    Tonight on OAD we're going to have several of the guys from the design dept who helped to created Sabotage on the show. They'll be playing and commentating with us to give you a really solid two hour primer for how the mode works. Make sure you tune in at 6:30pm CT at OrcsMustDie.tv

If you can't catch it live, the show will be archived for watching tomorrow. 
    @SixOkay
    Robot Entertainment | Marketing Manager
  • ManlyYamsManlyYams Member, Early Access
    I look forward to this game mode tbh. I love survival but I was wondering when we would get a PVP element back in the game. This should scratch that itch. :)
  • ReeperReeper Member
    I certainly will not be playing this mode, not a fan of pvp. I prefer working together than working against each other. If a strong line is drawn inbetween pve and pvp it would maybe be fine but seeing as they are going to be next to each other in a way, the game could start being balance for pvp and start ruining the pve.
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Hey Reeper, you should tune in tonight to get a look at the gameplay :)

Even though it's a head-to-head game mode you are still fighting together with your team to defend the rift. It really has that vibe, there's just additional danger and chaos and fun thrown into the mix from the opposing team.
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Reeper said:
    I certainly will not be playing this mode, not a fan of pvp. I prefer working together than working against each other. If a strong line is drawn inbetween pve and pvp it would maybe be fine but seeing as they are going to be next to each other in a way, the game could start being balance for pvp and start ruining the pve.
    I think that even if you don't like PvP, the mode will add a lot of replayability to PvE. After a while of playing the same maps where everything is always the same, it can get boring and feel very grindy.

This mode will enable people to create way more dynamic matches.
  • ReeperReeper Member
    Harmonia said:
    Hey Reeper, you should tune in tonight to get a look at the gameplay :)

Even though it's a head-to-head game mode you are still fighting together with your team to defend the rift. It really has that vibe, there's just additional danger and chaos and fun thrown into the mix from the opposing team.
    Having a higher chance of dying and losing because another team want you dead isn't my idea of "fun" and then there might be a pvp meta which might have to be nerfed which nerfing it will also do so for pve as well. 

When the game was going back to pve focus i was overjoyed but seeing Sabotage makes me feel the direct opposite.

Pvp is still pvp be it Seige or Sabotage. I never played Seige and i can do the same for Sabotage.

I think that even if you don't like PvP, the mode will add a lot of replayability to PvE. After a while of playing the same maps where everything is always the same, it can get boring and feel very grindy.

This mode will enable people to create way more dynamic matches.
    "After a while of playing the same maps where everything is always the same, it can get boring and feel very grindy" Is what needs to be worked on not sweeping it under the rug with other things that might follow.

Orcs Must Die has always been a pve game to me with some light hearted leaderboard battles to have a side line of competition if you needed that kinda stuff. Taking Seige mode and making it a more indirect pvp mode called Sabotage isn't what i'm personally looking forward to. Plus balance changes made becasue of it.
  • CdrKeenCdrKeen Member, Apprentice Founder
    I'm looking forward for this. Hope it will be fun for everyone, even the losing team.
    pogo!
  • LemartesLemartes Member, Early Access, Apprentice Founder
    This looks good.

As someone mentioned account level shouldn't factor in, but I think traps should.  Since gearing up traps is the entire point to this game they should give you an advantage.
  • SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    edited April 7
    I think a lot of the negativity towards the competitiveness/pvp aspects could be avoided if Sabotage was setup so both teams can win/lose independently of each other rather than one team 'beating' the other.  This could be accomplished with the following:

Use a starring system like we have now but make the quantity of rewards scale with number of stars rather than being binary like it is now.  Each star could increase total reward quantity (not quality) by ~20% per star.

Each team can get stars based on how many rift points they have remaining at the end of game.  1 star for 1-12, 2 star for 13-22, 3 star for 22-25.  (Or something similar to this.)

Each team is rewarded stars for making the other team lose rift points.  1 star if the opposing team has less than 22, 2 stars if they have less than 12. 

If the game goes to sudden death, the team that survives sudden death can get a bonus star. 

The stars would be a measure of rewards only and not a measure of actual performance (since in a pvp-centric mode you can do really well but still lose rift points if your opponent is also doing really well -- that's the nature of pvp).  The reward screen would need to be setup so players don't feel like they lost or did poorly if they got less than 5 stars.

In this proposed system one team isn't directly beating the other and both teams can still 'win'.  It's a subtle difference but it removes the feeling that players are directly competing against another team and instead would make it feel like the other team is just sabotaging your win. With the current system no mater how well each team plays one team will ALWAYS lose, and that makes it seem a lot more like the old (competitive) PvP system.