The Wall Endless Mode, Wave 45

We have refined our tactics a bit in the last week or so, this is our wave 45 run (completed 44) in The Wall endless mode. It starts at the beginning, so it can be considered somewhat of a guide if anyone else wants to try. Mute or skip to 16:00 if the first song is giving you a headache, I didn't notice that it was on repeat. Good luck!

Comments

• Gj on that. I see several things used that get me confused. Do you mind enlightening us with some of your choices?

Why are you using BGH arrow wall? I find the ballistas very superior for this map. Anything I might have missed on that?
    Why using wallblades instead of chargers?
    Why no high ceiling damage at all? Haymakers give you the double dmg and cleans the small ones, I get that but having 1 haymaker every 2 spots, would make the same effect imho.
    Why boom barrels instead of trip wires?

Altough, many exploits were used there.
    The Kamikaze bug and minions sprinting because of walking past rift are somewhat unavoidable. But using the repathing is a bit cheap :P 
  • Hi TimeMaster, feel free to do better if you want to criticize, I will still congratulate you :)

To answer your questions:

- BGH traps make easy work of the bosses which are a challenge on this map, if you can handle them easily in late game, that's your business and good job to you.

- I know you're a big fan of lightning traps, I noticed it in your Wave 28 run on this map, as well as in one of your other Endless run vids. I have nothing against lightning traps, but my lightning traps are not max tier, and even if they were, I know this way works. Physical traps work fine, people can criticize them and hate on them from their corner, others make them work.

- Haymakers toss mobs around, they get perma-tossed this way. If you want to do it a different way, please feel free to do it, I know you have max tier traps so I am sure you can do this your way and get a better score if you try :)

- Boom Barrels are a fantastic coin dump in late game, they do huge burst damage over a wide area. Please explain to me where in this build you would place a trip wire that would have more of an effect than a boom barrel? I'd be happy to take both of those traps btw, but my endless partner and I have to manage our loadout slots carefully since neither of us have all our traps at max tier.

There are no "exploits" being used. Devs make maps like this, so that people can beat them. In regards to pathing "exploits" as you like to call it, I notice you path minions into the priest's corner on Throne Room, why not path the other way? Guess what, if you path the other way, fire mobs will wreck cades, but it's not an exploit, the devs just make maps this way. Thanks for the useful tip for that pathing on that map btw your video was useful so that I could learn that, so the credit goes to you in regards to what you call "exploits" :)

I love making things work when others say they can't work, physical traps are fine. I also did a fire build on Throne Room and got quite a bit further than your lightning build. Just because I didn't do it your way doesn't mean it's wrong. Just go do it your way and show us if you want, I'll be happy to congratulate you, honestly. And I am sure I'll do some lightning builds when my lightning traps are t7, I have nothing against them.
  • Oh, I re-read your question wrong when I was answering, we chose the BGH Arrow Wall rather than BGH Ballista because it is the one we have maxed out, so it is a more effective use of a loadout slot. I also prefer the BGH Ballista, and I agree that it would be a better choice if we had one leveled up.
  • edited April 9
    Well done!

Big game hunter ballista works really well against heroes, bosses and unstable rifts!

Push traps is a good choice too.

Gj on that. I see several things used that get me confused. Do you mind enlightening us with some of your choices?

Why are you using BGH arrow wall? I find the ballistas very superior for this map. Anything I might have missed on that?
    Why using wallblades instead of chargers?
    Why no high ceiling damage at all? Haymakers give you the double dmg and cleans the small ones, I get that but having 1 haymaker every 2 spots, would make the same effect imho.
    Why boom barrels instead of trip wires?

Altough, many exploits were used there.
    The Kamikaze bug and minions sprinting because of walking past rift are somewhat unavoidable. But using the repathing is a bit cheap :P 

The pathing has been like that since the beginning of open beta. If it wasn't intended, Robot could simply patch it all this time. Look at Academic Sewer. 
    Did you understand why there are so many sappers and fire ogres in this map?

boom barrels can be used instantly and they are cheap. 
    So this is how we add small words under our post/comments.
  • Really well done. Very interesting video and totally different from our approach. Got two questions.
    - Which account level do you guys got in the video?
    - Did you aim maximum waves or maximum score?
    I guess I know the second one, but I was wondering you are only 200k points ahead at leaderboard and we only finished wave 27.

• edited April 15
    Hi Straggy, thanks very much.

I was low to mid 90's at the time of this run, my partner for the run was a bit lower, I think low 80's.

If you finished with 200k less score at Wave 27, that's great! Nice job. I am not a combo artist, I just like trying to find effective ways to do things, and at the opposite end, it seems likely that most combo artists will have a hard time getting to a high wave with their combo builds. 

I enjoyed watching combo artists on YouTube (such as Juicy) in previous OMD games, and while I admire their skills at bumping mobs around, I am not interested in bumping mobs around, unless it is part of a strategy to get the x4 damage in the air, or to stall elementals in late waves (while also applying x4 in air). I am happy to try to affect mobs with different traps and other effects to apply combo points, but the goal for me is to burn them down and go further than I have previously. Score is part of the game, and of course I'll appreciate it if I can find a way to get a decent score, but that's not the primary goal when I make an attempt in Endless mode.

I started another thread in the "Suggestions" area in this forum, requesting that Endless mode scores show the wave reached beside the score, to take into account that Endless is its own thing. Many people (like me) are interested in seeing how far others can go. 

However - luckily for you, the devs seem to be trying to encourage bumping mobs around rather than trying to reach higher waves, so you have that in your corner. Mob hp is being increased, trigger parts applying combo points, etc, so you will have a lot going for you in your future attempts after the 19th. I'm sure you'll beat that score extremely easily after that.
    Post edited by lulzrawr on
  • My main concern for the past few weeks is that many are treating endless as a place to go to Wave 5 to get a chest, and in most cases people don't even bother trying because the rewards are lackluster and there are more efficient ways to achieve progress in a grindy game such as this. At the time that I started uploading videos, only a few people had actually completed ANY of the endless maps other than "The Baths". As I mentioned to my teammates when we did 2 man and 3 man attempts, I would not be uploading videos like that if there were more people completing them. I was hoping to encourage people to compete with each other to get to further waves, or just to do it at all to begin with, since it is something that I'd like to see more of in the game. 
  • edited April 16
    It's really interesting to see totally different tactics. We didn't force to get high score, we only tried to build an efficent killbox with floor, ceiling and wall traps and a bunch of barricades. I don't know if the new score system really supports our playstyle.
    "In Endless, each wave completed after wave 5 now provides a 15% bonus to players' scores." According to this a high wave counter will increase your score massively. Let's just see what the score system will be. Btw. we were about level 85. Maybe with 90-100 it will be even easier to get more waves.
  • Hi Straggy, perhaps, and good luck :) I'll look forward to seeing how far you get if they start keeping track of waves reached on the scoreboard.
  • edited April 16
    But using the repathing is a bit cheap :P 
    Don't agree with this at all... This map's always been this way, that's how it's programmed.

Good job! I didn't think that spot was still viable for endless, but you made it work great :)

Also, I thought boom barrels didn't count towards trap count anymore... that's too bad to see... =/
  • Could anyone explain what's going on with the kamikaze kobolds? Why aren't they going straight for the barricades? thanks!
  • Nivien said:
    Could anyone explain what's going on with the kamikaze kobolds? Why aren't they going straight for the barricades? thanks!
    Some Bug no one really figured out why or how yet. But it has been like that for months.
  • Nivien said:
    Could anyone explain what's going on with the kamikaze kobolds? Why aren't they going straight for the barricades? thanks!
    Some Bug no one really figured out why or how yet. But it has been like that for months.
    I see - thanks for the reply!
  • Why the napthla spayers? I didnt notice any fire traps of smolder. I forgot what parts yo can put in it. I assuming its for debuffing them with a bonus resonator part or something.
  • Varthftw said:
    Why the napthla spayers? I didnt notice any fire traps of smolder. I forgot what parts yo can put in it. I assuming its for debuffing them with a bonus resonator part or something.
    We usually do a couple fire traps on the top to keep mobs on fire while Ivy knocks them back. I spammed them quickly when doing my portion of the traps. We were discussing that exact thing at the end of the run. We were not going for high scores or anything, we were just trying to go as far as we could. It was actually a mistake.