Wafflefoot's Guide to Helpful Bug Reporting

WafflefootWafflefoot Member, Robot Entertainment

Reporting a Bug or Observed Issue Effectively

Hi friends, I’m Wafflefoot, Quality Assurance extraordinaire. For those who don’t know, that means I am the one who looks into all of the issues that are reported here on the forums when we feel there is a potential bug seen. Now, bug reports from the wild are a great source of information. There are way more of you than there are of me, so chances are you get to see things that I’ve never seen before! How lucky! However, many bug reports come through that only vaguely describe the issue, or don’t do a great job of conveying the issue’s severity. So, I’m going to give you guys a format that I use when communicating issues I observe to the development team.

Title: Summarize the issue in an easily understandable title or forum post. Try to tell us exactly what is happening in as few words as possible. ex. Maximilian cannot fire his primary attack on Apprentice Baths map in Survival.
Region:
USA, Oceania, Europe, Canadia, etc.
Mode
: Did it occur on the Dashboard or in game? Did it occur in Survival, or in Sabotage? There is a lot different between Sabotage and Survival, and there are many bugs that will occur in one and not the other. Knowing where you saw it is incredibly important to us.
Map
: What map does this happen on? If it seems to occur on all maps, just say Global.
Reproduction
Steps: List in detail the steps I need to take in order to get this issue to occur. Pretend that I'm your grandmother and that I don't
Reproduction
Rate: If I follow your Reproduction Steps exactly, how frequently will this issue occur?
Description
: Describe the issue in as much detail as possible. Even miniscule details are incredibly important here. How many players were involved? What did you see? Did your teammates see the same thing? Does this only happen in solo games?
Expected
Results: What are you personally expecting to happen in this situation?
Attachments
: Screenshots and videos are helpful, but logs and system specs (dxdiag) are even more important.

You want an example? I thought you’d never ask!
Title: Trap Tinkering: Unable to slot new parts into traps that already have a part slotted
Region:
USA
Mode:
Dashboard
Map:
None
Reproduction Steps:

1. Launch Orcs Must Die Unchained.
2. Login with an OMDU account.
3. Select Workshop -> Traps -> Barricade.
4. Upgrade the Barricade to Tier 3.
5. Slot a Revenge Rune part into the Cladding slot of the Barricade.
6. Slot a different Cladding part into the slot.
7. Observe that the part is not changed.

Reproduction Rate:
5/5 attempts

Description:
Players are unable to slot new parts into a trap that already has that trap slot filled. Trap Parts are supposed to be able to be replaced by new parts, with the replaced part returning to the player's inventory. Currently, players can select a new part to place into the trap, the part will then briefly appear in the slot before returning to the original part.

Expected Results:
Players are able to slot new parts into traps that already have parts in them

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Not sure what to include? How about everything! When in doubt, more information is always better than less information.

Quality Assurance Ninja, Master of the Two Star Village
This discussion has been closed.