Not being able to obtain a skin unless you actually have the hero

So, I bought the grand vanity chest hoping that i would get something that i like, but i ended up getting a skin for a character that I don't even own, which leads to this suggestion about preventing certain skins or dyes from being obtained unless you actually own the hero or you already own the dyes and skins for the heroes that you own. I mean, I have to buy a separate hero just to use that one skin or pretend that i opened an empty chest.

Comments

• JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    So, I bought the grand vanity chest hoping that i would get something that i like, but i ended up getting a skin for a character that I don't even own, which leads to this suggestion about preventing certain skins or dyes from being obtained unless you actually own the hero or you already own the dyes and skins for the heroes that you own. I mean, I have to buy a separate hero just to use that one skin or pretend that i opened an empty chest.
    Never been a fan of that chest myself, too much RNG for a vanity item.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • edited May 14
    Juicy said:
    I agree on the luck that you have to rely on that specific chest, but this is directed to any chests which have any connection with heroes that you don't have, like how the classic vanity chest has max and gabbie skins, but then there's the 1/5 chance of getting a dye for cygnus, which is a hero that needs to be bought compared to the other two heroes that have been mentioned. Even if you have 4/5 chances of getting something for a hero that you have, what happens if you land on the 1/5 chance? You either have to buy the hero to actually use the skin or wait until the next weekly challenge that actually has the hero that you can pick.
    Juicy said:
    I agree on the luck that you have to rely on that specific chest, but this is directed to any chests which have any connection with heroes that you don't have, like how the classic vanity chest has max and gabbie skins, but then there's the 1/5 chance of getting a dye for cygnus, which is a hero that needs to be bought compared to the other two heroes that have been mentioned. Even if you have 4/5 chances of getting something for a hero that you have, what happens if you land on the 1/5 chance? You either have to buy the hero to actually use the skin or wait until the next weekly challenge that actually has the hero that you can pick.
    That's true. I just don't like the idea of that chest because personally, what if I only want 1 item from it? I may have to buy up to 32 chests to get it. The other ones I have maybe 6 chests - that's substantially better. I dislike RNG of any form when it comes to something I'm spending real cash on - but that's my personal feelings on it.
  • Juicy said:
    Juicy said:
    That's true. I just don't like the idea of that chest because personally, what if I only want 1 item from it? I may have to buy up to 32 chests to get it. The other ones I have maybe 6 chests - that's substantially better. I dislike RNG of any form when it comes to something I'm spending real cash on - but that's my personal feelings on it.
    ..Yeah i also dislike it but, to be fair you do get gold from dailies. It takes a while but its not like you need to spend gold on a lot of things when most of the stuff available can be bought with skulls. Eitherway, even if you limit it to only heroes that you can get, at least you can use what you can get to make your hero, that you actually own to stand out from others. (If you are okay with using the skin that is. Alternatively you could just not use it)
    Juicy said:
    Juicy said:
    ..Yeah i also dislike it but, to be fair you do get gold from dailies. It takes a while but its not like you need to spend gold on a lot of things when most of the stuff available can be bought with skulls. Eitherway, even if you limit it to only heroes that you can get, at least you can use what you can get to make your hero, that you actually own to stand out from others. (If you are okay with using the skin that is. Alternatively you could just not use it)
    My issue is that, I'm a master founder. I got all the heroes for free, by default. At no point am I missing a hero. Players that bought the hero expansion to start the game are in the same boat, etc.

If someone buys a $10 pack for all the starter heroes to get into the game, they may be screwed out of more than that if they want one of those skins. I think there needs to be a better system for it, rather than just "only if you own the hero".
  • Juicy said:
    Juicy said:
    Juicy said:
    My issue is that, I'm a master founder. I got all the heroes for free, by default. At no point am I missing a hero. Players that bought the hero expansion to start the game are in the same boat, etc.

If someone buys a $10 pack for all the starter heroes to get into the game, they may be screwed out of more than that if they want one of those skins. I think there needs to be a better system for it, rather than just "only if you own the hero".
    Hmm.. then i guess a way to disable heroes from getting skins/dye, but you are still forced to have a few heroes enabled (about 3), but if you reaaaally want a certain hero to gain skins/dyes then you have to pay some skulls to raise the chances?
  • Well that is what the starter vanity chest is for. Base skins and dyes for the three starter heroes.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • Well that is what the starter vanity chest is for. Base skins and dyes for the three starter heroes.
    But not everyone wants to go for the starter heroes. The reason i threw in the whole 'few heroes enabled' is that at least you get to choose what heroes you want, which isn't bound to starters.
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Well that is what the starter vanity chest is for. Base skins and dyes for the three starter heroes.
    But not everyone wants to go for the starter heroes. The reason i threw in the whole 'few heroes enabled' is that at least you get to choose what heroes you want, which isn't bound to starters.
    There are also skins that can be bought in the Store directly and for every hero without having to gamble.
    edited May 15
    Both of those are true. But both of those aren't the same skins ;).

I don't know as there's actually a good solution to keeping them in the chest, but making the odds better. Personally, I just dislike the way it is. I've bought all of them (dat founder's gold), and I would've no matter how they're marketed, but I know I (based on me personally and the way I purchase things) wouldn't touch that chest with a 10 ft pole if I didn't have founder's gold, as the only thing I'd be after were midnight skin/dyes.
    There are also skins that can be bought in the Store directly and for every hero without having to gamble.
    But the skins available in the chests are chest-exclusive and are not available in the store.