Are Elementals MEANT to split when they're killed with Physics traps?

I've been flinging Elementals off the map with Flip Traps and Spike Walls, but it's annoying that the stupid miniature Elementals spawn right where I chucked the big ones from. It basically makes killing an Earth Elemental with a Physics trap pointless, because you still have to catch the little ones (and, of course, they CAN'T set off the Flip Trap, because it's still resetting).

I'm assuming this is intentional, as they spawn exactly where the Elementals were before I flipped them off the map. But, I'm not sure. Thought I'd at least bring it up. From a logic standpoint it makes zero sense, but maybe you wanted it for the gameplay element.

Comments

• Yes they are meant to spilt. They usually spawn right where they were to avoid them some how spawning in the rift room or out of bounds. People really don't like losing rift points for no reason. If they managed to get out you would have to wait for them to die.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • Yeah, it's intended (I think?). If you ever see them appear somewhere that they shouldn't though - I.E. farther up on the map than where they fell off at, get pics/video and show robot. That's definitely bad news bears, and they'll change where they spawn at. Like @EffingWorms said, don't want them to die on one side of a row and respawn on the other, in the rift room (that's happened before :P)
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • @Periclum - EffingWorms and Juicy are correct, they will cause the elementals to split. To clarify, if anything kills an elemental, they will split into their smaller counterparts.
  • edited May 19
    What actually happens and what's supposed to happen are two distinctly different things though.  Currently they split when knocked out of the map but are they supposed to?  It's not really obvious because what ends up happening is you knock a larger elemental out of the map, it dies and then splits from the abyss and the 2 smaller rocks magically reappear out of the abyss back on the map.  From the player's perspective it looks like a bug, because logically you would think how can these little rocks without wings somehow get out of the pit?  Shouldn't they split from the larger elemental and then die in the pit too?  But then from a game design perspective having them split and die instantly could trivialize the enemy type because now you don't have to deal with the smaller guys anymore, so having them magically reappear back on the map could make sense too.  
  • SeanPoe said:
    What actually happens and what's supposed to happen are two distinctly different things though.  Currently they split when knocked out of the map but are they supposed to?  It's not really obvious because what ends up happening is you knock a larger elemental out of the map, it dies and then splits from the abyss and the 2 smaller rocks magically reappear out of the abyss back on the map.  From the player's perspective it looks like a bug, because logically you would think how can these little rocks without wings somehow get out of the pit?  Shouldn't they split from the larger elemental and then die in the pit too?  But then from a game design perspective having them split and die instantly could trivialize the enemy type because now you don't have to deal with the smaller guys anymore, so having them magically reappear back on the map could make sense too.  
    Bingo. Hence the question. This game has a lot of things that make me ask if they are "things you didn't notice and will fix if we tell you," or "deliberate choice that you made for the sake of balance/logic/easier to code that way."

The debate was never where the miniature elementals should spawn. The debate was if you INTENDED them to spawn at all.