Rubber banding

SemiFantasticSemiFantastic Member
edited May 20 in Bugs & Technical Issues
I've started almost a month ago, When my data plan was fresh. But now its reached its max for this month so now I'm mostly getting about 3mbps

Now i keep rubber banding in my games. Is that normal? Is the game practically not playable if my speed isn't over 3mbps? I've set my graphics to low but that doesn't help either. 

EDIT: My throttling issues has fixed itself somehow. It only took a day. Weird really. I never contacted support or touched my modem or any of the sort... the next day its all fine and my game is smooth again. Its like... they know I know about it... Jokes aside. At least im getting a constant connection again. 

Post edited by SemiFantastic on

Comments

• JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    I've started almost a month ago, When my data plan was fresh. But now its reached its max for this month so now I'm mostly getting about 3mbps

Now i keep rubber banding in my games. Is that normal? Is the game practically not playable if my speed isn't over 3mbps? I've set my graphics to low but that doesn't help either. 

unfortunately, alot of plans will start to throttle you after you hit your limit. This means they're essentially giving you net, then shutting it off for a few seconds, etc. - it saves them net without really looking like an issue to MOST users. Depending how bad your ISP does it, it may affect video streaming (netflix/youtube/hulu/etc.) or music streaming (amazon/spotify/pandora) - but alot of ISP's have gotten better in regards to those, as they are widely used programs. However, most ISPs, when they throttle, still screw games massively. Games require a constant connection, and any type of throttling messes with that. It's the equivalence of you getting 2 seconds worth of data at once, then nothing for a second, then 2 seconds worth, etc. instead of a constant stream, it's getting bunched up and sent. OK for things that pre-load, very very bad for games.

The game is probably playable at 1 or 2 mbps (most are, I used to play alot on that) - but you can think of yours as bouncing between 3 and 0. Very quickly. (probably). Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to not be at your max cap, or call your ISP and see if they'll fix it.

^that's my advice based on your situation anyways, I can't say for certain I'm right, but I would say it's likely.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • Juicy said:

unfortunately, alot of plans will start to throttle you after you hit your limit. This means they're essentially giving you net, then shutting it off for a few seconds, etc. - it saves them net without really looking like an issue to MOST users. Depending how bad your ISP does it, it may affect video streaming (netflix/youtube/hulu/etc.) or music streaming (amazon/spotify/pandora) - but alot of ISP's have gotten better in regards to those, as they are widely used programs. However, most ISPs, when they throttle, still screw games massively. Games require a constant connection, and any type of throttling messes with that. It's the equivalence of you getting 2 seconds worth of data at once, then nothing for a second, then 2 seconds worth, etc. instead of a constant stream, it's getting bunched up and sent. OK for things that pre-load, very very bad for games.

The game is probably playable at 1 or 2 mbps (most are, I used to play alot on that) - but you can think of yours as bouncing between 3 and 0. Very quickly. (probably). Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to not be at your max cap, or call your ISP and see if they'll fix it.

^that's my advice based on your situation anyways, I can't say for certain I'm right, but I would say it's likely.
    I didn't have this kind of issue before. This is practically new to me. Do you think they randomly choose their customers to throttle? Thanks for the answer!
  • maybe a new feature of your ISP, or just that OMDU is more dependant on the variation of your ping that other games.

Juicy probably has the best first step, calling your ISP to see if it's on their side first (they'll probably say it's not, you may need a little convincing)
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Juicy said:

I didn't have this kind of issue before. This is practically new to me. Do you think they randomly choose their customers to throttle? Thanks for the answer!
    Usually an issue like this is based on a cap. It's possible that it's different where I come from (I'm in the middle of nowhere, they don't like to put good internet here.) Around here though, they do their best to make throttling not affect anyone too much, but it still kicks in HARD for games.

My suggestion is to try another video game. Any video game that connects to a server and streams data constantly. First person shooters like call of duty (online modes), MMORPG's like WoW, GW2 also work. Don't try Runescape (Sounds odd I know, but that one for whatever reason bypasses throttling issues, in my experience) - and don't try anything offline.

IF the other game laggs, call your ISP and tell them your internet is coming in crappy etc. etc. - explain the issue. They'll blame you, you blame them, it's a fun time. Most of this comes from the fact that throttling isn't technically illegal (to my knowledge?) but it's terribly frowned upon. It's not something you can sue over (once again, to my knowledge), but it's the kind of thing that companies get a really really bad rap for. It's in that grey area. So yea, they tend to not admit to throttling even if it is the case.

IF the other game(s) don't lagg, then it's probably an OMDU issue, and honestly that'd be strange. I don't know what to do then.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • WinwinWinwin Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    edited May 21
    @SemiFantastic - Are you playing via satellite internet? In general, this form of internet has a higher ping time so it could cause rubber banding.