New Game Mode: Chaos Trials!

HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer

We’re pleased to announce that the next Orcs Must Die! Unchained update will introduce a brand new, survival-based game mode called Chaos Trials!

Chaos Trials bring the chaos and dynamic play of Sabotage mode and the problem-solving of Weekly Challenges to Survival gameplay. Available to teams of 1-3 players, Chaos Trials offer lucrative rewards for conquering a series of increasingly difficult challenges. Though each trial begins simply they increase in complexity and difficulty with every victory. Put yourself to the ultimate orc-slaying test!

Chaos Trials

Chaos Trials are accessed with Chaos Keys that are occasionally discovered while playing matches in all other game modes, or earned as a daily login reward. Each key has an associated challenge level from Apprentice through Rift Lord, and players are likely to encounter keys of all challenge levels up to their current progression.

Each Chaos Key will select one map as well as random, additional rules to comprise the challenge for that Chaos Trial. Each time a challenge is defeated the Chaos Key will upgrade by selecting a new map, increasing in difficulty, and adding additional rules into the mix. Each time a challenge is failed, one of three Chaos Key lives will be lost. After three failures or twelve successes, the Chaos Trial ends.

Insider Extra

Bring your questions and join Harmonia and Shade this afternoon for a special episode of Insider Access on Chaos Trials at 3:00 p.m. Central, only on OrcsMustDie.tv.

Get more details on this exciting new game mode in the full blog post.
Robot Entertainment | Community Manager

Comments

• Hi guys !
    Nice new mode !!
    Problem is... it's the same name of the mode for the game Dungeon Defenders 2 ^^'
    Are you allowed to do this?

But it's nice to allow us to loot skull and chest when we don't have anymore chest left to win.

But loot key in game in other mode?
    I hope it will not be like before when people left killbox to go loot stuff...

I just hope you will fix the sabotage mode rank, those people who ALT F4 before loose ...

• Looking good, cannot wait to put order in the Chaos
  • LorelleLorelle Member
    Hi guys !
    Nice new mode !!
    Problem is... it's the same name of the mode for the game Dungeon Defenders 2 ^^'
    Are you allowed to do this?

But it's nice to allow us to loot skull and chest when we don't have anymore chest left to win.

But loot key in game in other mode?
    I hope it will not be like before when people left killbox to go loot stuff...

I just hope you will fix the sabotage mode rank, those people who ALT F4 before loose ...

I was going to respond with how Trendy can't trademark the word "Chaos", but then I realized that it's not just "Chaos" but also "Trials".  That's hilarious.

....that said, Dungeon Defender 2's "Chaos Trials" really didn't have much chaos in them at all beyond the fact that the map you got was randomly chosen (from a really small pool of 4), unlike this new mode (which has randomized elements to it, IE Chaos).
  • BragdrasBragdras Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    edited June 1
    The key droprate better not be abysmal / we better be able to buy keys through skulls or gold, it would be a massive kick in the nuts having to go back to stale content in order to play dynamic stuff.
  • SeanPoeSeanPoe Member, Early Access
    Having score for these seems really strange considering that they're 100% RNG-based.  You'll never be able to compare scores between runs since the RNG elements will always be different.  Getting a top score will just be pure luck where you just spam trials hoping for the perfect 'easy' conditions or conditions that help with score (like additional enemy spawns). 
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    SeanPoe said:
    Having score for these seems really strange considering that they're 100% RNG-based.  You'll never be able to compare scores between runs since the RNG elements will always be different.  Getting a top score will just be pure luck where you just spam trials hoping for the perfect 'easy' conditions or conditions that help with score (like additional enemy spawns). 
    I would argue that the ability to react dynamically shows more skill.  In that sense, it makes scores more meaningful. 

Furthermore, the randomizer is intelligent and tries to make extreme differences in difficulty less pronounced.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
    ShadeDev said:
    SeanPoe said:
    I would argue that the ability to react dynamically shows more skill.  In that sense, it makes scores more meaningful. 

Furthermore, the randomizer is intelligent and tries to make extreme differences in difficulty less pronounced.
    Sure, and i agree, but score and skill are too entirely different things.  Score in this game is so reliant on combos that anything that disrupts the ability to get combos (even slightly) will have a massive impact on the highest possible score for that given key.  Since the conditions are random, you'll never be able to use a single score to be able to compare different key runs (since each key will have different conditions impacting how high of a score is even possible). 

When i mentioned 'easy' conditions above i wasn't talking about difficulty (as in, how easy it is to win), I was talking about score-friendly conditions.  Things like mana drain or longer cooldowns will make high scoring basically impossible because of how important those two things are to getting a good score (since you need mana to use gear items and cooldowns for combos).  If you get mana drain or longer cooldowns you might as well just stop trying for score entirely for that key. Triple cost barricades would also completely block the possibility for a top/high score because you'll never have enough money to get a full combo killbox setup as each new lane opens, so you'll be losing tons of combos (and score) because of it. 

On the flip side, certain enemy spawns, like additional orcs or runner (basically dozens of additional weak enemies to combo kill) will boost the potential score substantially.  Additional Fire Ogres or TNT archers would greatly reduce the potential for a top/best score because cades will die during the wave (or TNT archers will force you out of your killbox) which will negatively impact combos (note: i'm talking about combos, not difficulty; those enemies don't really make it harder to win, just harder to get a good score compared to other 'easier' spawns).  The blog post doesn't show what type of enemy spawn conditions there are, so I can't really comment further on that, so this might not even be an issue. 
  • StraggyStraggy Member
    So you will be able to play with others on their key. Some questions on that:

Will you always progress the key of the group leader? And if so, will only the group leader's key lose a "heart" for being defeated?
    Will everyone in the team get the rewards?
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    edited June 1
    Straggy said:
    So you will be able to play with others on their key. Some questions on that:

Will you always progress the key of the group leader? And if so, will only the group leader's key lose a "heart" for being defeated?
    Will everyone in the team get the rewards?
    Each keystone has it's own modifiers and maps, so the leader of the party chooses what keystone the party is playing at, so yeah, you progress that one. Only that keystone would lose a life if you lose playing it.

Yes, everyone gets all rewards.
    Post edited by TimeMaster on
  • BragdrasBragdras Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    edited June 1
    I have a question
    Why so much care into something that affects nothing at all besides one small window tucked away in part of the dashboard? Like really nobody actually cares about the leaderboards, it does nothing, combos are literally just an excuse to get more coins out of an enemy, this game will likely never be centered around this either.

Besides this gamemode is clearly not intended for highscoring by points or caring about some leaderboard, it's just about having a more dynamic approach the game that intends on having disrupting elements and getting you out of your comfort zone to promote replayability, no more, no less.
    Bragdras said:
    I have a question
    Why so much care into something that affects nothing at all besides one small window tucked away in part of the dashboard? Like really nobody actually cares about the leaderboards, it does nothing, combos are literally just an excuse to get more coins out of an enemy, this game will likely never be centered around this either.

Besides this gamemode is clearly not intended for highscoring by points or caring about some leaderboard, it's just about having a more dynamic approach the game that intends on having disrupting elements and getting you out of your comfort zone to promote replayability, no more, no less.
    When you get no useful rewards other than the fun of playing, you start to search for anything to have some rewarding or something to try to aim for...

I haven't given the enough attention or thought about the leaderboards for the new mode until now, and @SeanPoe might be very on point there. As you said Bragdras, and it's an obvious thing from most players, pretty much no one cares about Score/Combos and it's already a good system for the normal maps where the dynamism is minimum.

Tier, Deaths and Rift points are way harder to influence greatly from modifiers, they obviously still are but the numbers of score wouldn't make much sense and would be hard to determine even how or by what they were achieved. Also people would find it probably more appealing and not confusing, in the end, way easier to compare.

It also makes a lot of sense in the hopefully case that reaching Tier 12 is truly hard. 
    edited June 1
    Bragdras said:
    I have a question
    Why so much care into something that affects nothing at all besides one small window tucked away in part of the dashboard? Like really nobody actually cares about the leaderboards
    Plenty of people do care. However, i'd like to point out that most people don't care about the leaderboards simply because they don't think the scoring system adequately reflects performance and that it is completely detached from the actual game (and i personally totally agree with both these.  The combo-centric scoring system currently feels like a game within a game, that uses a totally different set of rules than the main OMDU game.  This is why so few people care about scores.  My post was addressing that issue.

Besides this gamemode is clearly not intended for highscoring by points or caring about some leaderboard,

Again, my post was addressing this issue.  Why should Chaos Trials use the same scoring system from other parts of the game when it makes no sense when applied to this game mode?  It shouldn't.  That was my point.  Scoring should be removed from Chaos Trials and instead we should just have a leaderboard that's just there to display information that everyone can easily understand.  X player got to tier Y, lost Z rift points, and died B times.  Everyone understands that.  As opposed to X player got 42 million score.  What does that mean? Did they max combos, have lowest time, get to the highest tier, have few deaths?  Who knows, you literally can't know.  It's just a meaningless number.

it's just about having a more dynamic approach the game that intends on having disrupting elements and getting you out of your comfort zone to promote replayability, no more, no less. 
    If the leaderboard actually reflected pure performance in the game mode (as i suggested above) then it would increase replayabilty even further.  Why?  Because then people would have something to strive for.  They would not only try to improve their own rank (by getting to a higher tier, or losing fewer rift points, or dying less), but would also have a other people to compete against too.  However, with the 'meaningless' number score system we have now i sincerely doubt very many people would ever care about improving their score.  That is why I'm proposing an alternative way of ranking performance, one that makes sense to everyone and actually reflects performance, so more people will actually care about their rank and then play the game mode more attempting to do better each time. 
  • LyokiraLyokira Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I've a feeling Dobbin might be MVP in this mode....
  • YeldarbYeldarb Member, Early Access

I like SeanPoe's method to Chaos Trial's leaderboard.  At a glance it is easy to understand how to go up the leaderboard with very clear and defined goals: "Oh I can jump up five spots if I die one less time."  I understand the basics of Survival leaderboard, don't die, have multiple traps hitting the same orc, kill everyone at spawn, but I don't know any of the complexities of it, which gear provides the better combo multiplier, which heroes provide the best combo multipliers, etc.  I don't see myself trying to get higher on that type of leaderboard; I would just play this game mode for the rewards.  I can see myself trying to get higher on the leaderboard with SeanPoe's method due to the sole fact that I fully understand how it works.

You Have to Yell Darb to get Yeldarb
  • Question.
    Will everyone in the party get rewards or only the person who put in a key?

Otherwise looking amazing. Thanks for working so hard to release a new gamemode so soon.
  • AxonyAxony Member
    What about the people who finished all maps already? do they get no keys? do i have to replay all maps to get some of them?
    Question.

Otherwise looking amazing. Thanks for working so hard to release a new gamemode so soon.
    Yes, everyone gets all the rewards.
    Axony said:
    What about the people who finished all maps already? do they get no keys? do i have to replay all maps to get some of them?
    In the Insider Access they said that there would be a reward of 1 key for each bucket when it was totally complete, they also said that they were looking into giving some to players that had already done it IIRC.
  • StraggyStraggy Member
    edited June 2
    Question.

Yes.

Axony said:
    3 options to get keys: 
    Random from playing maps in any mode
    Daily login
    In the store (Gold)

@SeanPoe Your system looks nice and more fair. The only thing I would prefer is, that all deaths and all rift points lost from all tiers will be summed up.
    I know there is the problem that you can play every tier with different people and different sizes of groups.
    The solution for this is, that the information about deaths and lost rift points will be summed up "into" the key.
    Whenever someone dies or looses rift points during the key progress it should be summed up even if they lose all rift points at some stages.
    All the players in addition to the group leader should get their rank for the highest tier they played (if that run was their best) within this key run, but all deaths and rift points.
    I'll do an example on this.

Group leader 'Marti' finished Tier 12.
    He played with 5 different people during this key progression: 'Kenny' from Tier 1-4, 'Doggy' from Tier 4-7, 'Wilma' from Tier 8-9 and 'Morpheus' from Tier 10-12.
    All deaths of his progression members and him summed up are 21
    All rift points lost of his progression members and him summed up are 35

Rank Name Tier Riftpoints lost Deaths
    1 Marti 12 35 21
    1 Morpheus 12 35 21
    2 Wilma 9 28 12
    3 Doggy 7 3 3
    4 Kenny 4 3 2

So with Kenny they got 2 deaths and lost 3 rift points.
    With Doggy they died 1 time and lost 0 rift points, but Doggy got the deaths and rift points lost of the key progression summed up.
    Tier 8 went fine with Wilma.
    At Tier 9 they failed one time and got 25 rift points lost and died 9 times.
    Up to Tier 12 with Morpheus they didn't fail, but died 9 times and lost a 7 rift points.

It seems to be complicated but otherwise it doesn't matter if you failed 0 or 2 times or how often you died during the whole key progression and how many rift points you lost. With this modification you will be careful from Tier 1 on. 
  • GustavoMGustavoM Member
    *rushes against the thread door, breaking it in half and making a really loud noise

Did you said... VARIETY?!?