USELESS TRAPS : Life and mana traps the most worthless traps

13»

Comments

• vrmlbasic said:
    Today on Chaos Trials we got a modifier where the camera stops working when our health drops below 50%

That doesn't sound like a very fun modifier.

If all the buff traps lost their Siege-legacy gimps (eg:shield times out, damage stops mana regen dead in its tracks), maybe.   Being strong-armed into using a trap?  I'm not too keen on that prospect,  make me want to use the trap on its own merits plz.

I was using healing well too there was quite a few buffs it probably won us the match. There was camera stops working, no health drops, tons of fire mages and random knockback.

I don't know any tactic to try and avoid constant death in that situation without the use of wells.
    Wells only work when you can be protected from damage, so how is using a well significantly different from ducking around a corner and using the healing root tool or other healing gizmo (skill/siphon)?

If the well buffs weren't still hobbled by their Siege-era legacy gimps...
  • DaTeddyBearDaTeddyBear Member
    edited June 26
    First everyone takes damage now how to heal it melee heroes first have to escape conflict. Range heroes only have to use it.

Random Drops these are infrequent but are rather useful. Require killing minions enough for them to spawn.

Healing wells are about ~60% of your health back in 4 seconds. Doesn't trigger to well during burning damage. Requires money done you have just been trying to kill a wave of minions you probably got money from that. A trap slot gets taken up and a wall place on every map there's a lot of these.

Retreat back to guardian waste of time. Unless your guardian is inside your killbox then he won't regen your health. Also depends on map. Less time inside killbox.

Then there's the healing root I take it everytime. But considering that it's not removed from you. If you trigger it then take damage then you gain no further health. So you have to wait for the burn effects to wear off. Also you have to leave combat to avoid getting hit. Takes up gear slot.

Then there's parts they have been recently nerfed and shadedev wants to nerf them further. The siphons are alright but they are useless for trying not to die since you don't die slowly in this game you die quickly. The ways I die bombers, fire mages, those big giants and large amounts of archers. In the other ways I died since I was being risky, lagging out and made a bad jump. I die to large amounts of damage at once so siphons are useless. Requires money, parts and for them to be walking over them the same time as you need health. Or you will be left outside of combat for too long.

Consumables only got a certain amount wastes skulls but gets you skulls.

Hero powers. All require hero pick.
    Ivy's rather useful but Ivy overall not that good. We used her inside the run I desribed but she has no health so a more skilled person should use her. Since Ivy's solo abilities aren't that good when you are on a tier 7 rift lord key. Requires mana ~30% of it.
    Cygnus' rift rather good but it is still slow also the radius is small so fire balls will most likely hit one of you. Unless you put it round a corner where 1 or 2 heroes will be doing nothing in that time (if you have a corner).
    Bloodspike's meals are useless since you have to re-enter combat to gain ~10% of you health back but risking your life further.
    Blackpaw's bite great hero pick him but still risk your life and uses mana.
    Stinkeye's drops these are useful but require his second weaver upgrade that only comes in later waves.
    Oziel's lifesteal rather good but it requires oziel to deal damage.

Overall healing wells can do something the rest of them don't. Since chaos trials can take away most things gear, health drops and cooldowns on spells. Also it can up the damage out put of the minions fire mages, hunters and bombers. So inside one of those situations it may be useful to use health siphons (one of which i've already found). Therefore they are useful and worth something.
    Post edited by DaTeddyBear on
  • Therefore they are useful and worth something.

IMO Not the thousands of precious, rare skulls it takes to upgrade them to the point that makes them start to be useful in these literally contrived scenarios...the weekly, as of this post, challenge (Freezed to Meet You) offers the mana well but it is, as per usual, a waste to use it we found.

Though...One of my playgroup has finally upgraded Healing Well to maximum,  at a not-insignificant opportunity cost, to obtain Gibs.  Now he's come to the sad realization that if we do some game find ourselves in a position where the healing trap could be of use, he's the one who'll have to "embrace the suck" and bring it B)

Then there's parts they have been recently nerfed and shadedev wants to nerf them further

Side-bar: Trying to shape the meta in a PvE game.  Just say no :(   If Robot feels compelled to shape something, might I suggest instead network traffic to alleviate issues? :)

• KaXaSAKaXaSA Member, Early Access
    edited June 26
    As someone how actually enjoys playing solo sacrificing a traps slot for any of these support traps is always a pain in the *** :'(

Also, Even if they manage to nerf everything to the point where you actually NEED the healing well, etc. I surely won't be using them because they are fun, I will be using it because they are no longer optional.

I already have both the healing and mana well fully upgraded but it does feels like they just implemented some of chaos trials modifiers to force the players to upgrade/ spend skulls on these support traps that almost nobody cares about, I can probably count on my hand how many times I saw any of the devs picking these "super fun " support traps during the streams in the OMD twitch channel. :/

Post edited by KaXaSA on
  • vrmlbasicvrmlbasic Member
    BTW, does the Overload trap disable Coinforge?

I "second" the idea that it shouldn't disable tar, since tar is kinda essential for its operation, and just how would it disable tar?  It doesn't disable Stinkeye's slowing totem, right?
  • AxonyAxony Member
    edited July 4
    vrmlbasic said:

I "second" the idea that it shouldn't disable tar, since tar is kinda essential for its operation, and just how would it disable tar?  It doesn't disable Stinkeye's slowing totem, right?
    it disables every floor trap, so it disables tar, coinforge and even the speed pads that are on certain maps

It does not disable totems or Cygnus' pylon because those are considered abilities not traps
    Axony said:
    vrmlbasic said:

it disables every floor trap, so it disables tar, coinforge and even the speed pads that are on certain maps

It does not disable totems or Cygnus' pylon because those are considered abilities not traps
    If it disables coinforge then it is assuredly the most useless trap in the game.   It is nicely sized for covering a Coinforge :(

From a "real world" perspective though, how could the overload trap disable tar? 

The trap also seems so, ah, boring for a character who is all about chaos
  • KjubyKjuby Member
    These traps are useless only because of low trap slots number. Let us use 12 or 10 slots instead of 7 and problem is solved.
  • Abel23Abel23 Member
    Overload trap works with coinforge, im sure. I receive the bonus money.
  • Should we talk about the Tripwire trap ? I just can't figure how it could be useful.
    It's very expensive, one use, does sensibly the same thing as some hero skill (Gabriella and Cygnus can trigger traps, even Bionka and Temper in a lesser extent), it can't be placed on top of traps which means you must leave a 0.5 space between your traps to be able to place it... And on top of it, it's wasted on traps that haven't yet fired; and since it's triggered when minions walk into it, basically, every trap placed AFTER the wire haven't been fired yet...
    I don't get it. Is anyone using it? I suppose in some scenarios it could be useful if you go for high combo score, but I've never actually seen anyone use it.
    Plus it's Midnight's hero trap. The only bad thing about her, I'd say. :p
  •  it can't be placed on top of traps which means you must leave a 0.5 space between your traps to be able to place it.
    just felt like pointing out that robot changed this so the tripwire can be place atop floor traps.
  • LunaSlingLunaSling Member
    It's page 3 and I doubt anyone will actually read this...
    The most useless trap in the game IS the BGH zapper. The BGH ballista is also a ceiling trap, same cost, same single target, then it has further range and can basically do everything the zapper does... There is no reason to pick a BGH zapper over a BGH ballista.
  • ElSolElSol Member
    What could be a little buff to Healing- and Manawell is that if Gabriella uses her Kinetic Pulse the Wells would be recharged insted of beeing emptied and on cooldown.
    The Overloadtrap should not disable Tar as mentioned above. But I also do not get that Trap, I do not have it my self yet, so testing it is impossible, but from what I have seen you are better off with other Traps. Does it make sense to spam this Trap? Like in the little "underpass" in the first level Bath, where you could put 6 under the ceilling?
  • nthornnthorn Member
    edited July 7
    Wells used to reset when using repair kit on them but ever since the patch that changed their cooldown it no longer works
    The most useless trap in the game IS the BGH zapper. The BGH ballista is also a ceiling trap, same cost, same single target, then it has further range and can basically do everything the zapper does... There is no reason to pick a BGH zapper over a BGH ballista.

I'm not sure what purpose the BGH zapper and arrow wall serve, the Ballista is indeed king of the BGH traps, but the competition isn't exactly fierce lol.

BTW, has anyone found a use for the Temple Alarm Bell?  I just watched the in-game video for how to use it and even that made it look useless;  when it fizzles on the "sizzle reel"... :)

• DominoEDominoE Member
    edited July 9
    vrmlbasic said:

I'm not sure what purpose the BGH zapper and arrow wall serve, the Ballista is indeed king of the BGH traps, but the competition isn't exactly fierce lol.

BTW, has anyone found a use for the Temple Alarm Bell?  I just watched the in-game video for how to use it and even that made it look useless;  when it fizzles on the "sizzle reel"... :)

The BGH arrow wall is a bit cheaper and actually works better on bigger, slower bosses since it allows more projectiles to hit and thus overall deals more damage than a BGH ballista could ever dream of. I see people in Sabotage often using it in the first wave of Falling Folley to guarantee the kill on Mr. Moneybags.

Screw the BGH zapper, though. I guess since BGH ballista targets allegedly can't be targeted by more than one BGH ballista at a time, a well-placed BGH zapper could offer a burst of extra damage on top of the ballista's and kill the target faster. Still, seems like overkill to me and a waste of a trap slot to have more than one BGH trap.

The Temple Alarm Gong is an extremely cheap and strong slow. Not much else to say about it, really. It becomes redundant to take with Viscous Tar, but since the latter is much more expensive, the gong can make a great substitute in the early waves if you don't have much coin left after barricading.
  • yobbobearyobbobear Member
    Multiple BGH ballistae do target the one enemy. 
  • mdragoonmdragoon Member
    DominoE said:
    vrmlbasic said:

The BGH arrow wall is a bit cheaper and actually works better on bigger, slower bosses since it allows more projectiles to hit and thus overall deals more damage than a BGH ballista could ever dream of. I see people in Sabotage often using it in the first wave of Falling Folley to guarantee the kill on Mr. Moneybags.

Screw the BGH zapper, though. I guess since BGH ballista targets allegedly can't be targeted by more than one BGH ballista at a time, a well-placed BGH zapper could offer a burst of extra damage on top of the ballista's and kill the target faster. Still, seems like overkill to me and a waste of a trap slot to have more than one BGH trap.

The Temple Alarm Gong is an extremely cheap and strong slow. Not much else to say about it, really. It becomes redundant to take with Viscous Tar, but since the latter is much more expensive, the gong can make a great substitute in the early waves if you don't have much coin left after barricading.
    It's also important to remember that gong/tar are different combo points, even if the slows aren't the greatest together they can be spaced to allow for some nice early coin/exp gain and control large groups of minions
    Archivist of the Order, feel free to ask me any questions you have!
  • The official video for the Temple Alarm shows the slow expiring almost instantly, and doesn't really convey just how many enemies will be affected by it.
    I guess since BGH ballista targets allegedly can't be targeted by more than one BGH ballista at a time
    Is this "a thing" again?  In a weekly challenge a while back, multiple BGH ballista would shoot the same Unstable Rift.

...the Big Game targets that I'd like to see offed scoff at the BGH arrow wall.
    I see people in Sabotage often using it in the first wave of Falling Folley to guarantee the kill on Mr. Moneybags.

On the topic of useless things, why does the final wave of that level (at least in Survival) spawn beaucoup Mr. Moneybags?   So much money is gained, but there's no use for it before the game expires.  Robot be trollin' lol.

• NyuuuuNyuuuu Member
    edited July 19
    i'm happy to see a healing well when there is camera freeze in a Chaos trial RiftLord tier 6+
13»