Unchained meter, the purpose of combos and other questions

Some questions I have since I started playing and didn't manage to find answers yet, sorry to put all this in the same topic but I didn't want to spam new threads.

First of all, the unchained meter is filled (from in game description) by doing combos. So I understand that combos are built up by using different traps / attack / abilities but it seems to me like filling the unchained meter the first time is faster than filling it a second time.
Is there something like "the more you activate unchain the harder it is the fill the bar" ?

Talking about combos, some things seem odd to me, if I understand correctly, combo generate more coins (and probably score). Is that all ? Do we get more exp for doing combo ?

Also, if I understand properly, using twice the same trap in a row doesn't increase the combo right ?

On an unrelated topic, is there any way to deal with fire elemental without them completely destroying barricades ? It seems like they are the only kind of enemy that I really have trouble dealing with.

I am currently somewhere between level 60 and 70 and I see a lot of people relying a lot on the grinder for high level survival, any particular reason behind this ?

That'll be all, thanks in advance for anyone's answer o/

Best Answer

Answers

• Unchained meter takes about twice as much every time used.

Combos increase coin and score.

No idea about same trap in a row.

Fire elementals just try to kill them far from the barricades.

Grinder is rather good because of it's damage. It's overall great trap but I prefer wall charger since it's got even more. The reason why you don't see any others is probably because they don't want to spend skulls on other traps since it's rather good as it is.
  • Unchained meter takes about twice as much every time used.
    That's what I thought... I guess it would be too spammable otherwise.
    Combos increase coin and score.
    No experience bonus then ?

Fire elementals just try to kill them far from the barricades.
    I'm really disappointed by how the game really forces us to play by the timer, which pretty much means "defend as close as possible of the door and kill them as fast as you can" and at the same time they throw as much fire elemental as they can in our faces.
    How am I supposed to defend early without baricades... Jeez this is annoying.

Thanks for the answers by the way, even though I still don't really get why they throw so much grinders everywhere. I can't seem to notice the DPS out of these.
  • Grinders are good for runners, so at low level you're goiing to see a lot of them, and also grinders are good for combos, since they hit more then once, wall blades or charger, will only hit once grinder got 20 charge, so it's goiing to hit a lot more minions

yes the unchained meter gets harder to fill after each use, it has been change in 1.7 

UNCHAINED:

• Consecutive acquisitions of Unchained have been made harder to obtain. In other words, after the first time a player goes Unchained in a match, it becomes subsequently harder and harder to become Unchained again.
    https://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/12038/release-1-7-notes/p1

Before that change it was possible to get unchained at every round, it was quite less challenging
  • Thank you all for your answers o/
  • JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access

Thanks for the answers by the way, even though I still don't really get why they throw so much grinders everywhere. I can't seem to notice the DPS out of these.
    Well this one is rather easy... Grinders do low BUT sustained damage, which means they'll catch many runners before going into cooldown, and they're very effective against order minions, because of that. So, they're rather useful and that's why people pick them.

As for the reason why people throw so many of them is because of deck limits I reckon, if you can only carry one wall trap, you wanna go with the most versatile. However, if you want a wall trap to do super high damage, you'll go with the wall charger. However, the wall charger is a "rare" trap, which means a lot of people will have a higher tier grinder than a wall charger, so that's also a reason why it's used more.
  • Jacowboy said:
     and they're very effective against order minions, because of that.
    What does that mean exactly ?
    Jeez I should make another thread asking why we're actually fighting "the order", I thought the order were the good guys but I guess they totally blew up the lore with that game.

Jacowboy said:
    However, if you want a wall trap to do super high damage, you'll go with the wall charger. However, the wall charger is a "rare" trap, which means a lot of people will have a higher tier grinder than a wall charger, so that's also a reason why it's used more.
    Wall charger deal more damage than the blade ? (spinning blade is the name I think)
    I guess I didn't check the levelup damage bonus and only the base damage.
  • Because they deal constant damage, and the damage is low per hit so it bypass the shield the order minion gets on low health

the wall charger deal lightning damage, and when the charger kills a minions the minion explose dealing lightning damage to others nearby. that's where it gets it's damage boost over the the wall blades
  • Jacowboy said:
     and they're very effective against order minions, because of that.
    What does that mean exactly ?
    Jeez I should make another thread asking why we're actually fighting "the order", I thought the order were the good guys but I guess they totally blew up the lore with that game.
    The problem with Order minions, is that when their HP drops to a certain level, they start to take reduced damage. This changes the damage they take into a fixed value: IIRC Soldiers only take 20 damage from basic attacks, even if that attack usually hits for 200 or more.

Using example: (Number are not exact)
    • Assuming the soldier has 500 HP and  Gabby hits for 200 damage per shot. After 2 hits, the Soldier's hp drop below 100, where it starts taking reduced damage. In total, Gabby will need 6-7 shots to kill a soldier instead of 3.
    • Max on the other hand deals 30 damage per hit. From 17 hits to kill becomes 20 hit; little difference given his attack speed.
    • Cygnus will not understand what is happening because spells like Chain-Lightning and Explosive Deaths caused by lightning damage are not affected by damage reduction.
    Now, with that in mind, players (including me) assumed that this also holds true for traps. Generally, we will use traps like Grinder and Brimstone over direct damage like Floor-Spikes or Wall-Blades when facing Order Minions. Adding "Inherent Laziness" to the equation, a whole lot of players end up having Grinder/Brimstone permanently stuck to their Loadouts regardless if they are facing Order or not.

Oh, and if you are wondering why Order, the so-called "good guys" are attacking... well... They are attacking the Unchained. Around half the heroes are actually "bad guys". Nighty, Ozzy, Moldy, Stinky, Spiky, Pawpaw and Big Momma all belong to the Unchained.

• LunaSling said:
    The problem with Order minions, is that when their HP drops to a certain level, they start to take reduced damage. This changes the damage they take into a fixed value: IIRC Soldiers only take 20 damage from basic attacks, even if that attack usually hits for 200 or more.

But shouldn't a huge hit be more efficient ? Or does the shield also reduce damage taken by a huge hit like midnight's right click ability ?
    LunaSling said:
    Oh, and if you are wondering why Order, the so-called "good guys" are attacking... well... They are attacking the Unchained. Around half the heroes are actually "bad guys". Nighty, Ozzy, Moldy, Stinky, Spiky, Pawpaw and Big Momma all belong to the Unchained.
    Yeah that's what I kinda thought but in the end what they're attacking are "the rifts" which is why it didn't make sense to me.
    Good and bad characters are mixed to defend rift while the order's goal was supposed to be "defend the rifts and the humans"
    the wall charger deal lightning damage, and when the charger kills a minions the minion explose dealing lightning damage to others nearby. that's where it gets it's damage boost over the the wall blades
    Is the explosion damage a % of the initial damage or rather a fixed value ? I noticed lightning damage does AOE on death of the minion which is why I usually focus weaker minion as max but I don't know how much damage that deals.
  • LunaSling said:

But shouldn't a huge hit be more efficient ? Or does the shield also reduce damage taken by a huge hit like midnight's right click ability ?

Abilities are not affected.
    As for traps, the damage numbers are not shown, so the best we can do is guess.

As for Unchained guarding rifts... let's just say they are not as stupid as they were portrayed. OMD and OMD2 has shown them that the Warmages can close the rift anytime they like. In such a situation, it doesn't take a genius to know that the Unchained need to control at least one of the rifts to confirm their access to Center. IIRC, Big Momma used Spiky as bait to get Unchained Fortress... or something like that.

• LunaSling said:
    Yeah that's what I kinda thought but in the end what they're attacking are "the rifts" which is why it didn't make sense to me.
    Good and bad characters are mixed to defend rift while the order's goal was supposed to be "defend the rifts and the humans"
    Well the story was that we are defending the rifts from the other side, so when the orcs get through they get to the world of centre. 
    Well that was OMD1 + 2.

The orcs want the magic that comes from the rifts. So they attack the forts that defend them. Pretty sure that is what happening in Unchained, and the world needs magic or it will fall into disaster. 
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • But shouldn't a huge hit be more efficient ? Or does the shield also reduce damage taken by a huge hit like midnight's right click ability ?
    The shield gives them a certain time of invulnerability, blocking all damage, exept low level damage like DoT from fire seem to pass threw, that's why fire trap seem so strong on soldiers

Is the explosion damage a % of the initial damage or rather a fixed value ? I noticed lightning damage does AOE on death of the minion which is why I usually focus weaker minion as max but I don't know how much damage that deals.
    Don't know the exact number of the damage the AOE deals, but it seems to be dependant on the number of HP of the minion kills (at the time of his death)
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    The shield gives them a certain time of invulnerability, blocking all damage, exept low level damage like DoT from fire seem to pass threw, that's why fire trap seem so strong on soldiers

LunaSling said:

That's not true. Abilities/skills are also affected by the Steady ability from Soldiers. Exactly the same with traps.

Soldiers have no "shield" and the effect is not a "time of invulnerability" at all.
    When soldiers are below a certain HP, anything that hits them is affected by a dmg cap. 

• TrichouetteTrichouette Member
    edited June 18
    That's not true. Abilities/skills are also affected by the Steady ability from Soldiers. Exactly the same with traps.

Soldiers have no "shield" and the effect is not a "time of invulnerability" at all.
    When soldiers are below a certain HP, anything that hits them is affected by a dmg cap. 

Well I tried earlier and indeed abilities are affected by that damage resistance (at least midgnight's rush is)
    However satyr do have a shield, and I still have no idea how it works.
    LunaSling said:
    Well the story was that we are defending the rifts from the other side, so when the orcs get through they get to the world of centre. 
    Well that was OMD1 + 2.

The orcs want the magic that comes from the rifts. So they attack the forts that defend them. Pretty sure that is what happening in Unchained, and the world needs magic or it will fall into disaster. 
    Still doesn't make sense to have bad guys defending the rifts
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    However satyr do have a shield, and I still have no idea how it works.
    Well, no one mentioned satyrs until now, but their ability is called "Phasing".

It gives satyrs a 2s shield when they are hit that reduces the dmg they take. I don't remember by how much rn but it should be easy to test. The shield has 20s cooldown.
  • That's not true. Abilities/skills are also affected by the Steady ability from Soldiers. Exactly the same with traps.

I stand corrected, TimeMaster is right, (I was always under the impression that during a certain time I could not get any damage threw)

• LunaSling said:
    I stand corrected... and I learn something too...  :3