Guides for new players and veterans alike - we need your input!

sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
edited July 5 in General Discussion

Hello everybody!
We’ve been hearing a lot from you guys about how it would be awesome if there were more resources for new players to look at and learn things about the game. We were wondering if you could share with us, what type of information and tips would be particularly important or helpful for new players to have in addition to the in-game tutorials we currently have. What specific or larger topic would you like to see covered in guides? It doesn’t necessarily have to be geared towards newbies, it can be all around helpful information for more seasoned players too. Keep in mind that we are specifically talking about guides in video- or text form, so things that could be shared e. g. on forums so that every player can find and access them easily and also comment and give feedback on them.

To summarize:
- What kind of topics would you like to see covered in guides?
- What type of guide do you prefer? (videos or written, short and concise or elaborate and in as much detail as possible, etc.)

If you have any additional comments or feedback, feel free to share these below also!

Thank you for your input, we’re looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Guide Suggestions:

1. Sabotage (showing how to use basic functions such as chat and alerts but also information on important or impactful mechanics like bomb aura, etc.)
  2. Killboxes (showing how to set up killboxes and use barricades to their fullest, etc.)
  3. Combos (explain what combos are and what their benefits are and show how to achieve them)
  4. Damage types (explain the difference between the different types of damage and their pros and cons)
  5. Guardians (In-depth guide of the guardians, their strengths and weaknesses and what to think about when you chose which guardian to place)
  6. Enemies / Enemy Groups (explain different types of enemies' weaknesses and strengths, bosses & mercaneries)
  7. What makes OMD!U different from other tower defense games and basic mechanics (Rift mechanics, Unchained status and Weaver Updates)
  8. How to use the minimap (+visual and audio cues)
  9. Progression (Different difficulty levels, which game modes are good for newbies etc., upgrading traps, leveling up and what it does)
  10. Heroes in-depth (what they do, strengths and weaknesses)
  11. How to go about forming a strategy and set up your load out for a map
  12. In-depth trap guide (different general types of traps and their pros and cons)
  13. Playing in a team and what to keep in mind (what's different to solo play, guilds, communication and allowing others to sell your traps)

Related Suggestions:
  1. Create new Trap and Parts videos to showcase what they do and make them accessible via Youtube
  2. Advertise the guides (especially the ones covering the basics) in-game and across the various methods players experience OMD!U and learn about news (social media, forums, etc.)
German Community Manager
Post edited by sashimiak on

Comments

• Maybe a few screen shots of every map of for where to place barricades and trap rooms. This could show new players how the seasoned players place traps.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Maybe a few screen shots of every map of for where to place barricades and trap rooms. This could show new players how the seasoned players place traps.
    I like the idea in principal, but I'm worried that people will complain that we are forcing players into playing maps a certain way. Maybe we could open a structured thread for players to share their cading methods specific to certain maps and for the guides we make a more general "how to use barricades effectively" style guide, maybe based on one map where we could show examples for cading and kill boxes in a few different spots on the map. We also have to keep in mind that for a lot of maps, cading is fundamentally different for survival, endless and sabotage.
    German Community Manager
  • A small guide which, encourages players to make killboxes maximising traps. e.g. a trap room with walls, ceiling and floor spaces. Also showing how barricade placement maximises damage. Similiar to the great guide killboxes and how to build them
  • PericlumPericlum Member
    edited July 3
    I can help you out with guide format. You're going to want them long-hand, with images or video. GameFAQs started transitioning to HTML-style guides a few years ago, and they're fantastic (that's Witcher 3, so, mild spoiler warning). Seriously, this is the best format. I know people don't like reading in this day and age, but it's WAY better to be able to alt-tab to a page, read a sentence, and go back than trying to move a video 15-45 seconds back, and listen to the clip again. And, while I may miss the age of 200 page text documents (even wrote one), I'll admit they're somewhat dated.

You should make new videos for each trap and put them on the internet, accessible via YouTube or... well, no, they should be on YouTube. These should be embedded into the guide, as well as in a playlist on your channel. Some of them are just wrong. The Parts videos need a lot of work, the Guardian ones are actually okay.

I like the notion behind making a sort of "dummy" map, where people post strategies and what-not. If you're looking for one that won't affect gameplay, you should go get the map used in the Basic Tutorial (which is for some reason not used anywhere else) and make it available. Ask that people constrain themselves to doing generic tutorials on that map, if you'd like.

When your game goes mainstream, though. you're going to have to accept that the community will devise various (hopefully optimal) strategies and make an effort to teach them to new players. It's already happening, albeit slowly and not endorsed by Robot. Look at item builds in League, or Diablo 3, and every MMO.  You can either accept it (as Riot did), do nothing (like most MMOs), or actively fight it (which... why?). Sorry to keep saying it, but Riot does a LOT of things well. Integrating community supported strategies and tips into the game was a great move to help new players learn the basics. Took me ages to figure out exactly WHY certain items were in the "Recommended" category, but once I did I was able to start tweaking the basic strategy to fit my playstyle. I'm not saying put barricade ghosts in the most popular spots on every map, but a list of "Commonly used traps/guardians/gear" for each map during loadout selection would be a great start. 

An example of where this would help is Guardians. VERY new players don't have Guardians of each type, and so bring whatever they have. New players bring Guardians to match the slots near the killbox, or to catch stragglers. Many veteran players ignore the "At Home" bonus, and pick Guardians with abilities they like, such as the Stablehand or Priest. At the moment, there's no posted explanation as to why this is done (AFAIK). It's this weird thing, where both players think "Ugh, this guy is bringing the wrong Guardians" because no one has put together a resource (ideally endorsed by Robot) as to when/why to start ditching the Shield Guardians. BUT, if you show that people aren't taking them, it will help to get the community all on the same page.

I dunno what you'd actually PUT in a guide. Most of it is subject to playstyle, modifiers in CT, or irrelevant at a certain point because you can solo 5* RL maps. Sorry.
  • Maybe a few screen shots of every map of for where to place barricades and trap rooms. This could show new players how the seasoned players place traps.
    That is actually problematic because Robot changes the pathing and the map layout when they don't like certain builds, and they never tell you they changed it. This can be seen on Frostbite and Ocri-La on which the pathing was changed and minions no longer do the same route with certain traps. This can also be seen on Throne Room and The Falling Folly where they changed the map itself to prevent certain barricading strategies.

In general, it is a problem to make guides when the patch notes don't tell you such important changes.
    That is actually problematic because Robot changes the pathing and the map layout when they don't like certain builds, and they never tell you they changed it. This can be seen on Frostbite and Ocri-La on which the pathing was changed and minions no longer do the same route with certain traps. This can also be seen on Throne Room and The Falling Folly where they changed the map itself to prevent certain barricading strategies.

In general, it is a problem to make guides when the patch notes don't tell you such important changes.
    Well it is very simple to change a few screenshots. When you play a new patch.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • AxonyAxony Member
    I would prefer an advanced guide for Sabotage where they show how to use the chat, communicate with teammates, work together and activate trap sell.
  • I would suggest a special tutorial on Bomb and Area Damage spell in sabotage.

And whenever someone new to sabotage wrecked barricades because of those spells, ban them 1h from sab for each barricade destroyed. /s
    I would suggest a special tutorial on Bomb and Area Damage spell in sabotage.

And whenever someone new to sabotage wrecked barricades because of those spells, ban them 1h from sab for each barricade destroyed. /s
    I caused my team to lose just yesterday when we were playing on Restricted Section, I got the bomb spell while standing in the middle of three of our cades and I panicked and couldn't decide which way to run. I ended up running to the center of the three cades, hoping I would be far away enough to not destroy any of them. Of course I destroyed all three and we lost because I'm just that smart. #nomoresaboformods

On a more serious note: Thank you all for your input, there've been some amazing ideas. I will try to summarize everything and put the suggested topics in the first post for a quick overview.

On the topic of the strategy guides for each map, I think I wrote that a little poorly. I didn't mean I'm against guides that show strategies for certain maps. If some of you want to write those, that's awesome. I just don't think official guides should tell players that there is this one specific set up for this map that they must use. If we have an official guide that lists all of the current favourite strategies for each map we will be accused of trying to force players to play a certain way and there's also the danger that people who haven't read the guide and use different strategies will be insulted for it. Using the example of LoL, they do give you recommended items. But they don't hit you over the head with a Doran's Blade when you play Twisted Fate and purchase a Doran's Ring. And they always give you a wide range of options. The recommended items list doesn't limit you to one specific build path.

@Periculum, thank you for that awesome input on guide format! I will take a closer look at it later, it's really helpful!
    German Community Manager
  • apinapin Member, War Mage Founder
    First stop change values, timinig and  mechanics with every patch.
    Make one-month-valid guides is useless...
    First and only CZ&SK funsite of OMD series http://orcs-must-die.cz

• LunaSlingLunaSling Member
    I think a guide on how to read the mini-map + specific minion noises would be good.

I noticed that a good number of new players, they rely on memory for when or where zappers appears... or which gate the bosses spawn from. They don't understand that yellow dots on the map represents barricade destroyers or stars represent bosses / mercenaries. For me, it was after reaching Rift-Lord that I understood the weird noise I often hear is suppose to be the "kamikaze screams" before sappers arrive.
  • OMD is a very unique game. People don't get it at first glance, and it takes more "work" to get it than a lot of other game. People would never wonder "what you do" in a FPS game, but they might when stumbling upon OMD for the first time. That's why I think the priority should be to teach new player the very basics, because I often see seasoned players who don't even know it. Thing is, "the basics" can't be contained in a 10min tutorial, there's just too much stuff to know to be at least decent at the game. I see no other way to do it than to properly write it in text form, on dedicated, well presented pages, that must be advertised both on the forums and in the game itself.
    Here's the topics I would focus on first:
    (I've written most of them in the form of questions a new player might ask)

--- Everyone knows what a Tower Defense game is. What's different in OMD, and what does it implies?
    ------ Placing traps in 3D; using the floor, walls and ceiling.
    ------ Attacking with your heroes; using weapons and gear to damage minions.
    ------ What happens when you have 0 HP? 0MP? How do I manage cooldowns?
    ------ Using barricades to redirect minions; merging lanes; why should I make the path longer?
    ------ What's special about the Rift? (Heavy minions cost more rift points, standing near it replenish HP and MP...)
    ------ How does elemental damage work? How can I use the elements?
    ------ How does money work?
    ------ How do combos work? What's the link between money and combo?
    ------ What's the Unchained bar? How do I fill it? How should I use it?
    ------ What's a killbox? Where should I choose to build it? Why should I put most of my traps in it, as closely as possible? (seriously, this one... I always see players scatter traps litteraly everywhere... Put them in a killbox!)
    ------ Why are there different heroes? Why should I use different heroes?
    ------ What are guardians? What do they do? When should I place a guardian, and when should I not? How do I choose my guardians?
    ------ How do I read the minimap?
    ------ What mode should I play first? What's my goal? How do I progress in OMDU? How do I unlock more stuff? Why should I unlock more stuff?

--- What should I think about when playing a new map?
    ------ First priority: can I merge lanes? Should I?
    ------ How should I plan my barricade setup? How will minions react to it? In this end, what path do I want the minions to take?
    ------ What kind of damage will be the most effective?
    ------ What hero should I play on this map?
    ------ How do I choose my traps for this map?

--- Team play
    ------ Matchmaking and parties. Why should I play with people?
    ------ Should I join a guild? Why would I?
    ------ How to properly communicate in a match
    ------ Should I allow my teammates to sell my traps? How can I do that?
    ------ Team strategies

---Advanced barricades
    ------ What can damage barricades? What happens when they are damaged? When they are destroyed? How can I keep my barricades from being destroyed?
    ------ How much space should I leave between my barricades? Between a barricade and a wall?
    ------ Barricade placing tips: corners, offsetting barricades to force minions to walk alongside a wall, blocking a path by using minimum barricades, using barricades as decoy for bombers, when to use a Great Wall Barricade Instead.
    ------ A few visual exemple of barricades "secret technics" (but not too much, we don't want to outright tell people the best strategies, they have to find it for themselves. They simply must learn to "think with barricades").

--- Advanced traps
    ------ What's a good trap synergy?
    ------ Different traps, different best spots: what traps should I put on corners, what traps should I place in straight lines? How do I use a wall/ceiling trap's range efficiently?
    ------ What are unique traps? Why are they good? Why are they limited in use?
    ------ What are the traps that are different, that can be placed somewhere similar traps couldn't (Scorcher, Boom Barrel Roller, Ballistas...)
    ------ What are physics traps? Support traps? BGH traps?
    ------ Where should I put my traps in the early game? Using different killboxes for early/late game; the strategic advantages of selling traps.

--- Advanced hero play
    ------ What should I do during the first wave?
    ------ Where should I stand during the waves?
    ------ Where do I fight?
    ------ What are my primary targets?
    ------ What are the audio cues? (bomber screams, gnoll roar, etc...)

--- What are minions, and how do I deal with them? What makes minions different from each others?
    (A quick explanation of each minion's specifics should be enough, for starter)
    ------ Unchained minions
    ------ Order minions
    ------ Pirate minions
    ------ Northmun minions
    ------ Frost Unchained minions
    ------ Fire Fiends minions

--- Advanced minions
    ------ Bosses
    ------ Mercenaries

Thank you again for all the feedback! I have updated the list with everything new that's been suggested again. I tried to shorten it a little bit for easier overview, I hope I didn't forget anything. Keep it up guys!
    German Community Manager
  • phattonyphattony Member
    Should probably explain how score and multipliers work. 8x multiplier for 0 hero deaths, the time remaining/rift multiplier. Also explaining that combos bigger combos net  more money and build unchained meter. Everything donnerstag suggested looks good to me. 
    Not a guide... more like a game trailer; those that know, will smile at the implications.

Scene start out with Max, Hoggy and Ivy, there are floor traps scattered untidily with randomly placed decoys. The trio are jumping and fighting like a mad people killing orcs. Next scene goes to Zoey, Cygnus and Gabby having tea and relaxing beside their barricaded kill-box (same map) that does most of the work... occasionally they will throw a spell or two... then comes Zoey's "I see what Max does, and just do the opposite", with feebee's acknowledgement.  :p
  • AxonyAxony Member
    But Max is more structured due to his experience and Zoey embraces the Chaos
    Axony said:
    But Max is more structured due to his experience and Zoey embraces the Chaos
    This is from the Official Trailer:

There's a reason why the Warmages died out... this is the trap layout they are taught in school... 
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access
    edited July 28
    TL DR. More videos on how to achieve combos not just through traps but through the sum total of your items, killbox, player skills and why it's important

I think the hardest thing for people to get the grasp of is just how important combos are. Some of the reason for this is that when you first start the game everything is so easy to kill that you really don't need a lot of combo bonus gold. You can just lay traps down everywhere at the very start and kind of sort of fight in them and make it through. Besides being told that you got a combo in game there is really no motivation to achieve them. There is no exciting animation there is no big flashy pop-up that says you earned extra coins. So even though the people may have went through the initial tutorial levels and learned about killbox setups they don't continue to do that because they don't need to right off the bat and it's not even really that exciting with the initial traps. My one friend stopped playing because right from the get-go he wanted a Orcs Must Die to experience and it seems more like a brawl which is a shame.

Sorry that was so long-winded but with that being said probably the most important type of video would be an emphasis on how important combos are. It's a complicated subject because it's not just about kill boxes it's about items you bring and characters being able to add certain debuffs Etc.

It should definitely include that your killbox should be where you fight the enemy because you yourself actually add a combo point so it's important for you to be in your killbox wherever it may be. The next thing you should absolutely include is just how crucial it is to use barricades. I see new players standing at the front gate all the time just brawling when they could have put down a single barricade and funneled everyone in a straight line over a tar trap and done the same job with about three traps 
  • Agreed xcience. I have spoken before about how the prologue needs to be redesigned. It isn't until the "hidden" advanced tutorial that you really find out about the unchained meter and building a killbox. 
  • I feel like a little pop up that shows how much coin you earned for a combo might be helpful. Each enemy displays the coin number when they die, but after the combo is 3 or higher, it shows only the combo number. I mean, even if you wanted to compare the amount of coin you get for killing an enemy vs scoring a high combo on the same one, that becomes extremely tedious.