PS4 controller layout comments

I feel that the trap toggles (L1/R1) and ability buttons (box and triangle) should be switched around. The reason is that it is easier to aim with the right thumbstick and shoot an ability (eg Max's Stunning bolt), rather than the current way of having to remove your thumb from the stick to hit a button and potentially losing your aim. 

Comments

• sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    I've moved this over to suggestions. I would love to hear what other PS4 users think about this. Would switching the buttons around disrupt trap placement?
    German Community Manager
  • XarkiesXarkies Member
    I don't mind this layout. Since this game isn't so much relying on aim as much as traps and just shooting everywhere. So, yeah, I like it this way, with L1/R1 
  • yobbobearyobbobear Member
    edited July 24
    I played it again a short while ago. In general the controls do not seem to correspond with the PlayStation menu style.

The dashboard:
    ---------

- Navigation problems:
    No set consistency, unintuitive, different buttons to select different screen items. Unable to leave a queue. 

The navigation menu suggests to click Triangle to select it, however this just results in a radial menu popping up which you then need to select workshop, profile etc again which is unnecessary. 
    Hitting L1 and R1 navigates across the sub menu. L3 for opening chests, R3 for queuing etc. This is confusing, and not necessary. 

Navigating by use of the touchpad isn't bad, however not all dashboard buttons can be selected once moused over. I also found this slower compared to if I had control pad navigation. 

Solution:
    Treat the dashboard like the PS home screen. Navigate with the plus controller, select with X and go back with O. 

Eg: Navigate with plus to workshop, hit X, this put the focus on the workshop submenu, go right to highlight gear, click X, right to select having root, click X to read description. Bang bang bang. 
    Simple and consistent. 

- Unable to leave queue
    I accidentally hit R3 instead of L3 when you want to open a chest and suddenly you are in a queue. There is no way to leave the queue until it finds a match and you abandon it. 

Solution: change the dashboard navigation, remove the confusing L3 R3 mechanics. Add a button to cancel the queue. 

In-game:
    -----------
    - No controller configuration options. Cannot reassign buttons. 

- Cannot aim and use Epic skill at the same time. This affects:
    Max - In your Face
    Dobbin - Throw Dynamite
    Blackpaw - Bite
    Tundra - flash freeze
    Bloodspike - axe throw eviscerate(?)

Solution: reassign abilities to L1 and L2 (as per initial post) which is where your fingers should be when fighting. 
  • HypovolemicHypovolemic Member
    edited July 31
    yobbobear said:
    - Cannot aim and use Epic skill at the same time. This affects:
    Max - In your Face
    Dobbin - Throw Dynamite
    Blackpaw - Bite
    Tundra - flash freeze
    Bloodspike - axe throw eviscerate(?)

Solution: reassign abilities to L1 and L2 (as per initial post) which is where your fingers should be when fighting. 
    Do you mean kind of like this (ignoring the red/green button chords that I wish weren't necessary):

http://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/comment/56967/#Comment_56967

FPS style?
    edited July 31
    That looks pretty good to me.
    Post edited by yobbobear on
  • HypovolemicHypovolemic Member
    edited August 2
    yobbobear said:
    That looks pretty good to me.
    Okay, cool. So if we merge with what they already have, and make it more comfortable for PS4 controllers, then maybe something like this:

This would require a few UI changes:
    • Remove Gear from the loadout bar and make a separate bar with Gear and Consumables on them. Have Gear highlighted by default with the Triangle/Circle indicators showing which Gear the buttons corresponds to. If you hold D-Down, the highlight and button indicators shift to the Consumables.
    • Restore quick cast on Fire Bracers, Ice Amulet and GRK. For the love of all that is holy.
    • Add some sort of flashing indicator in the HUD (maybe on the loadout bar) that indicates upgrades are available. Holding D-Up would then spawn the weaver selection dialog from this indicator.
    And they should make alternate controller layouts available in the options so players can pick from the OMD2 style they are currently using, an FPS layout (like above), or whatever else.
    edited August 3
    Simply having an option to config your own your would be a huge start. 

Ok just had a thought. What about touch pad gestures to select weavers? Eg swipe up, swipe right, swipe down. 
  • DrkieDrkie Member, Early Access
    Something needs to be done about selecting upgrades and using gear in game. I donno how many times iv been in mid battle and go to use a gear or an item and select an upgrade I dont want or need for the rest of the game or end up dying or not using my rift scroll in time cause of this