Initial feelings of Deadeye

As the title suggests this is my initial feelings about the new hero Deadeye, while this may seem early to judge the character I still found an opinion of her from the games I played with her.

Reference, 1 Ice shard is 10 units.

Deadeye's Primary Attack, Fill 'em with holes She feels OK in terms of primary attack damage, not too strong but feeling a bit on the weaker side of damage especially with her passive infamous, but will get to that later.
Her attack rate is nice, the movement speed penalty when firing feels good, and overall is pretty OK.

Deadeye's Right Click, Bouncing Bomb: This "bouncing bomb" feels very slow. I feel like whenever I launch it, it glides blissfully to the enemy sometimes not reaching them. It triggers around after travelling 100-120 units, or if it hits an enemy OR if it hits a trap which isn't so much a bad thing, it's a good distance if traps didn't bother it along its journey. 
The bomb has relatively high damage with a decently short cooldown, but the fact that traps trigger it and it has slow fly time makes it feel situational.

Deadeye's unique skill, Elven Razorweed: is a beautiful ability, with the weaver that causes bleed the skill feels very nice. Not only dealing damage, but also slowing is pretty dang sweet. The width of the Razorweed is good enough to where you can put it in most if not all killbox locations to slow + damage the front line. A nice opener.
Overall pretty good, I like this skill nothing to change, pretty good.

Deadeye's Epic skill Ready Steady Fire: This skill hands down can be the strongest wave I have ever seen with the T4 weaver "Clear 'em out" It is the most satisfying feeling when a there's a line of enemies and you mow them down in one ability, truly the most beautiful thing a person can lay eyes on.
When you want to kill something dead, use this ability, it may have a long cooldown, but it is worth it! High damage with high fire rate equals amazing wave clear combo'd with her weaver makes this skill a sight for sore eyes.

Deadeye's Support skill, Outta the way: This feels like a slow roll, every time I use it not in combat it feels as if it would be faster walking. Costing 10 mana is nice and all, but when you roll 27.5 units, it's more of a sad excuse of an escape. The damage boost is nice, but I use the skill more for the bramble T3 weaver to slow enemies.
Overall a pretty meh ability, It's situational for escaping and for the brambles IF you choose that weaver. I feel like if it traveled faster and further it would feel better, perhaps as far as hogarth's jump.

Deadeye's Passive, Infamous: This is terrible. Why is it terrible? Cause it halves your damage for AOE damage. Now why does that matter? Well when a troll is running at you, and you have this passive active, you will deal laughable damage to him. Where if you didn't have the passive, you could probably easily kill him with just your primary fire. It changes your OK damage to worse than max's crossbow damage. It's like grabbing a nerf squirt gun and shooting it at someone's shin from several yards away. The orcs just barely feel it! I mean sure in solo play it could be OK, but in group play, you go down to sad damage.
I firmly believe this Passive needs a buff, no one should have to deal 50% of their original damage for a passive they can't cancel. Sure you could spend 10 seconds not killing anything. But do you know how hard it is to not kill for 10 seconds? It is a long time, especially in a game like this.

Deadeye's Weavers: Overall Deadeye has a nice selection of weavers, with fair competition amongst the tiers, except for T2. I feel as if T2 should be looked at, Razorweed Rend is a great selection due to the bleed, Goin down in infamy is weak considering it makes you lose 50% of your primary damage faster, Spurred Boots sounds good till you realize you will be dashing INTO danger and out of it and when minions start to do 50+% of your health in one hit, you can't risk dashing into them.

Another Weaver that caught my eye at T4 that seems relatively weak in it's position is Bramble Barricade. This acts similar to max's shield, but in Deadeye's Ready Steady Fire ability. Now why is this bad? Cause you have a weaver called Clear 'em out, which essentially will clear the danger away from you, not to mention that Ready Steady Fire is best used far away from a group so you can aim straight down a corridor and mow the minions down. It would be cool if the weaver made it so that Elven Razorweed became a wall, so instead of slowing enemies, it would halt enemies, hurting them in contact with the wall.

Overall I feel that Deadeye is Weak-OK in her current state. She is fun to play, don't get me wrong about that, she is one hell of a fun character to play. But when your damage gets halved for AOE damage, you feel it, and it hurts. If her passive made it once she reached the 12 infamous stacks she became empowered for 10 seconds, dealing AOE damage. Resetting the timer every 12 kills, I feel would greatly help her.

Though this is all matter of opinion. So don't take too much of it to heart if you are in deep love with Deadeye. She is pretty fun.

Comments

• LemartesLemartes Member, Early Access, Apprentice Founder
    Sounds about right.

From the few games I played she seems fun but meh.  I would put her in the middle of the pack for overall hero quality.

Dash is pretty good though - the damage boost is nice and you can just dash from side to side.  With the weaver it's a really good dps increase.  Will get old fast constantly dashing back and forth though especially when I can do the same damage with any other hero and not worry about that kind of micro management.

I agree infamy is pretty lame as it reduces damage.  Who thought that was a good idea ?  I could see infamy limiting her use for exactly the reasons you stated.  Imagine chasing down a giant on Sabo just to have infamy trigger, or go off when taking down a rift.  Epic fail.
  • KirrrKirrr Member
    Her damage is lower than I thought. Play in survival : OK, but play in Sabotage or Chaos high tier : seem difficult.
  • edited July 27
    So, i'm not a huge fan of deadeye, but I did stumble on an ok situation that was fun to play. Rift Lord Baths, we were funelling everything right at front like most people do. I chose the weavers to add bleed to razorweed, and add bramble to outta the way. I would start right in front of the gate, q, and dive back (dropping a bramble right there). Then I would walk forward while firing with the 50% buff, dive back again (dropping bramble again). Repeat. Fired bouncing bomb on every cooldown, and ready, steady, fire against bosses.

Weavers:

I chose Spring-Loaded for tier 1. It gives you 5 attacks before Outta The Way buff ends instead of the usual 4, buying a bit more wiggle room to time your dives. In retrospect, I should have chosen Deadier-Eye. 4 attacks at 200% damage instead of 5 attacks at 150% damage......but still getting use to the hero so I wanted a bit of wiggle room with the Outta The Way timing.

Tier 2 I chose Razorwood Rend. Seems to be the only option. Goin' Down in Infamy sucks, because infamy in general sucks. Spurred Boots would require you to be near enemies more.....and quite frankly she's too squishy for too much of that nonsense. The bleed damage is pretty fair on Razorweed Rend though.

Tier 3 I chose Fistful of Brambles. I can see all the Tier III upgrades having use though, depending on what your teammates are doing. DPS, CC, or a bit of both.

Tier 4: I chose More Misdeeds, but i'm realizing the wave clearing ability of Clear 'em Out would have been a much better choice. Bramble Barricade is absolutely pointless.

All in all she seems pretty average. I'm not too huge on the play. The rotation can be entertaining in situations like I described with the Baths, but she just feels too clunky to me to be useful outside of a very specific range of motion like that. Bomb, dive forward, shoot, dive back, shoot, dive forward, shoot, dive back, shoot, bomb.......it's kind of repetitive, and you spend so much time trying to execute the rotation perfectly that you kinda stop paying attention to anything else. The play style just feels very.....restrictive. To be honest, it was kind of a bummer. I saved up so i'd have enough skulls to buy her and everything, and it just wasn't what I was expecting.

EDIT: Another quick note: It could just be me getting use to the hero's motion, but I was missing Outta the Way more than I would like. I'd be jamming left shift and now and again i'd just keep walking backwards instead of ever executing it, which really blows the rotation.

EDIT 2: To clarify what I was expecting....I was expecting a true DPS character like Cygnus or Stinky or BPaw. The game has been pretty good so far about giving significant damage output to heroes that don't have multiple CC abilities....but it just doesn't feel that significant. Another small part of me was hoping for a D3-eque Demon Hunter, but she just isn't particularly mobile or responsive. The whole thing just feels kinda lackluster.
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    Deadeye's Passive, Infamous: This is terrible. Why is it terrible? Cause it halves your damage for AOE damage. Now why does that matter? Well when a troll is running at you, and you have this passive active, you will deal laughable damage to him. Where if you didn't have the passive, you could probably easily kill him with just your primary fire. It changes your OK damage to worse than max's crossbow damage. It's like grabbing a nerf squirt gun and shooting it at someone's shin from several yards away. The orcs just barely feel it! I mean sure in solo play it could be OK, but in group play, you go down to sad damage.
    I firmly believe this Passive needs a buff, no one should have to deal 50% of their original damage for a passive they can't cancel. Sure you could spend 10 seconds not killing anything. But do you know how hard it is to not kill for 10 seconds? It is a long time, especially in a game like this.
    Agreed.  I will change this.  Thanks for pointing out this issue.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • ShalvarisShalvaris Member
    edited July 27
    After playing deadeye a decent amount I have to say her biggest problem is how clunky she is to use as well as the micromanagement play-style of using her dash effectively for the buff.
    The delay on her dash, or outright having to smash the key repeatedly to get it to go off is probably the biggest offender to why she feels clunky.
    Half the time I don't even want to use the ability because of the lost primary attacks while trying to use it make it feel like a waste of time to actually use the ability, the fact that the buff only lasts two seconds requires repeated rolling to make good use of the buff and it takes her kit from being pretty fun to use to outright tedious as the best way I've found to use it is to stand next to a wall and roll into it over and over again.

This has anti-synergy from how i feel the rest of her kit is set up, she feels strong and fun to play when you get up into the faces of what you're killing, drop your razorweed and roll back out to safety while you throw bombs and shoot them. The roll doesn't really accomplish that because i find myself spending so much time rolling to keep up the buff.

On her weavers though.

I chose spring loaded for tier 1 since i didn't want to double-down on roll micromanagement, the increased slow on hold 'em back is pointless as vicious tar traps exist which is a far more reliable slow than the razorweed cooldown, even though it has a relatively short cooldown.
    I also feel like this attack speed weaver should have been made base line, similar to gabby's attack speed weaver as neither of them add anything to the character, and are just overall boring weavers. If they were replaced with something else it could cause a more meaningful decision of which weaver to take

In the tier 2 i feel the only option is razorweed rend, it deals nice damage over the duration and feels good to use. Goin' down in infamy is useless as its stupidly easy to get the 12 stacks anyway, and spurred boots requires you to roll into stuff which deadeye doesn't want to do because of how fragile she is

tier 3 feels strange, as burn' hate is bugged to not do damage (which I've already reported into the bug forums) but when its working properly i feel this will be go to option, but as the choice is from one damage and two utility/cc option most people will probably pick the damage choice as bouncing bomb just straight up kills most stuff that it hits anyway

tier 4, I picked more misdeeds as the synergy from tier 1 was obvious with increased attack speed, the pierce mechanic also causes infamy's aoe damage to apply on both targets hit, so you apply up to four instances of infamy damage with every shot, the consistent aoe damage with this interaction is pretty amazing and, as it looks like shadedev will be looking into changing the infamy reduced damage this could potentially be pretty overpowered depending on how infamy is changed

Also, more misdeeds reduced the cooldown of bouncing bomb by 4 seconds, which isn't stated in the tool-tip, so there is that to consider in addition to the increased infamy damage.

Clear 'em out is also a very good option for huge straight line dps, so the choice between the two feels good as it can be influenced by what you picked in t1, or if you are more interested in having your crowd-clearing come from your ready, steady, fire cooldown.
    Bramble Barricade isn't worth considering as you shouldn't be setting up shop in melee range of stuff anyway.

Overall though, shes a fun character to use who feels middle of the pack in strength due to her clunky nature, anti-synergy in some of her skills, and lack of satisfying decisions on which weavers to take.

Edit: This is more just preference, but does anybody else think dead-eye sounds weird? I'm not really sure what about it bothers me but she doesn't sound like i expected her to, she doesn't really sound like an orc (even if shes only a half orc) and the way she says some lines makes me think of someone trying to do a bad stereotype cowboy impression of Jennifer Hale

Edit 2: Bouncing bomb also explodes immediately when touching a brimstone, even if the brimstone is not actively attacking things on top of it, as well as when the brimstone has no charges left and is in the deactivated state
    Post edited by Shalvaris on
  • My 2 cents on Deadeye.

Overall, Deadeye is pretty good, doesn't seem too strong/weak compared to other heroes.

She does sort-of reminds me of Zoey: One has horrible attack speed which needed "changing schools" to overcome while the other had not-so-good damage which needed her to roll around... Yeah, that's how I use the Support Skill (Outta the way), as a damage increase buff... the diving effect is basically ignored, because if I can't dodge something just by side-stepping, I can't dodge that with the dive either.

For Tier 3 Weavers, I am pretty much go for (Burnin Hate) or (Hard Knocks) because I ignore the bounce in (Bouncing Bomb) and lob it like a "Grenade!": The bomb mostly hit where I want it to... More importantly, I dislike having ranged heroes going up close and personal with minions... especially large ones... so (Spurred Boots) and (Fistful of Brambles) are outside my selection.
  • DrewpDrewp Member
    Shalvaris said:

In the tier 2 i feel the only option is razorweed rend, it deals nice damage over the duration and feels good to use. Goin' down in infamy is useless as its stupidly easy to get the 12 stacks anyway, and spurred boots requires you to roll into stuff which deadeye doesn't want to do because of how fragile she is  [emphasis added]

Is it stupidly easy to get 12 stacks when you are sharing a lane with another player?  I find it useful.  How much damage per tick are you seeing for the bleed (state your level and number of players in the match too, please)?
  • LemartesLemartes Member, Early Access, Apprentice Founder
    @Shalvaris - The non responsiveness affects all chars.  I find it the worst with Sabo cards and potions.  Sometimes you have to hit the keys several times to go off.  I get what your saying though about Deadeye and reliant on constant dodging.
  • BloodessBloodess Member
    I must agree with most what was written above. Only 3 interesting weavers, others are just fillers.
    Deadeyes basic abilities are acceptable, but i dont feel the synergy that Midnight has.

Most of play time you use primary attack and jump to buff it. You do it all the time. Terrible is that you have 6s buff and 6s cooldown and it makes you anxious that if you dont do it you lose your dmg. Its not very friendly play. When you dont do this 6s monkey business you use bouncing bomb. And after that if you have still time in your mind you are thinking if you can find good place to use your barrage(ready steady fire-3word name for ability is so cool to talk about it - sarcastic) or thinking if your pointy fence is more than waste of mana.

Deadeye's primary attack is interesting, when stacks are full you get some aoe, which is nice. (after dmg reduction will be removed).

Now jump to support skill - dash(Outta the way) sort distance that doesn't help at all and gives you 50% dmg buff. That is quite a kick in you dps, but you have to do this dash all game every 6s. There is some similarity to Midnight but, this feel much more annoing. Midnigh can chose to use her powl+ability1/ability2/primaryAttack combo every 4s and it doesnt feel so bad as dash+6s attacks and repeat. And bonus is you have to change position with your dash/bonus dmg. From what I played, this ability was more like dmg buff with sort cooldown and unnecessary move. Question is what to do with it? Easy solution would be triple duration of buff. It would still hold original idea but you would not have 6s tick while playing her and she would be much less annoying to play.
    Another question about her dash is why she has it? Why Deadeye need dash while other ranged dont have it (Gaby have it, but her synergies is mesmerize+jump to get some space). So what idea is behind it? Help with mobility - totaly not, since her dash have so sort distance. Maybe some one would say better something than nothing, but you could have bigger base speed and button with 6s dmg buff and effect would be same. Maybe to make her movements easier while near minions, to dance around them in close combat, but why? We have unlimited range attack so why we should be close to enemies? Does hero have any bonus to be on close range?

Epic skill - barrage is nice, it has quite long cd and for my taste sort distance.

Uniqe skill - pointy fence. Its not totally bad, if you have small coridor, gate or baricade maze you it can be good. First. players usualy have slow+dmg traps on ground already, so haveing it as hero ability doesn't sound so cool. Does it stack with tar traps? Second: I dont have time to use it, play game and do her 6s monky stuff doesnt give spare time to find best space to place it. 3. If i spend time to use it and dont attack+jump will I do more damage? Insted of dmg i would like to see rooting. -> Minions going in to pointy fence would be rooted for 3s. This would solve her lack of any control. Because she doesnt lack of dmg abilitis and dont lack of things to do. Also root stuff could start to do some synergies with epick skill and bomb. Prepare gound, lock enemies and fill them with bullets and explosives, while they stand close.

Bouncing bomb? - Having bomb that do extra dmg is nice. But why we have bouncing bomb? Why it should bounce instead of just flying? Yea, lore and physic. But we could have rolling bomb as well(this could make problem lunching it across water or other obstacles). Sorry, it feel like bullying devs. But you should say, my bouncing bomb is better because ... something. Do dmg every-time it bounce. Slow enemies while it bounce(its heavy and ground tremble). Double its dmg if it bounce before explode. Something like this, make this ordinary dmg ability somehow cool and unique in way how it is.

Conclusion: She is working, you can play it. She is new so there is some hype around her. I will definitely play her for her green skin and pointy ears. But she has no control and Cygnus do more dmg. Cant compare her to strong cc and push heroes like Ivy. So I dont thing she gets to high chaos tiers or sabotage.

• ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    edited July 27
    Hey guys, I have been reading a bunch of this feedback about Deadeye.  As mentioned earlier, I will be changing the passive to no longer lower your damage against your primary target.

In addition, I am looking into changes associated with Deadeye's hipshot buff.  Currently, I am thinking of extending the duration of the buff, but lowering the bonus.  This means you can dash less frequently without feeling like you are losing DPS.

I am also looking into the range of her dash.  Several people have mentioned that she doesn't feel like she is gaining significant distance. In reality, she does gain about 1.5 trap spaces over her running speed.  Since she can do this every 2.5 seconds, the bonus is pretty significant. However, I am looking into increasing the distance slightly to help with the perception.

Lastly, her bouncing bomb is not supposed to have its cooldown reduced by "More Misdeeds".  I will be removing this bonus and compensating by decreasing the cooldown by 1 second baseline.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • "In addition, I am looking into changes associated with Deadeye's hipshot buff.  Currently, I am thinking of extending the duration of the buff, but lowering the bonus.  This means you can dash less frequently without feeling like you are losing DPS."

if u lower the bonus wont that mean that deadeye will lose damage overall?
    is it not better to leave the bonus as is, and increase the cooldown of the dodge with the duration?
  • Can you make "Outta the way:" default direction backward instead of forward?
    I don't understand why a range character would roll forward?
    Also I can't use support skill and direction at the same time (using Xbox Controller, and if I have to set up L-shift, usually it's on D-Pad)
  • lielsliels Member
    ShadeDev said:
    Hey guys, I have been reading a bunch of this feedback about Deadeye.  As mentioned earlier, I will be changing the passive to no longer lower your damage against your primary target.

In addition, I am looking into changes associated with Deadeye's hipshot buff.  Currently, I am thinking of extending the duration of the buff, but lowering the bonus.  This means you can dash less frequently without feeling like you are losing DPS.

I am also looking into the range of her dash.  Several people have mentioned that she doesn't feel like she is gaining significant distance. In reality, she does gain about 1.5 trap spaces over her running speed.  Since she can do this every 2.5 seconds, the bonus is pretty significant. However, I am looking into increasing the distance slightly to help with the perception.

Lastly, her bouncing bomb is not supposed to have its cooldown reduced by "More Misdeeds".  I will be removing this bonus and compensating by decreasing the cooldown by 1 second baseline.
    Deadeye is fun ... I'm still experimenting but have been having effective results with brambleweed weavers + firebomb weavers ... good sustained damage ...

Her primary does not feel like it does the kind of damage I was expecting given the writing ... but then there is the AOE problem you are fixing and the fact that I'm not rolling every 6 sec to buff it.  Yes, that mechanic is cool from a cinimatic perspective; from a gameplay perspective not so much. It's much more like hit left shift to keep up your primary than getting an advantage from roll with bonus blazing guns^H^H^H^H crossbows afterward  Cinematography aside, why not just boost her baseline dps and decouple it from the left shift dash?

Also, why not maker her dash more like tundras?  She can keep rolling until canceled or expired (with longer cooldown).  It's too much micro management to use it defensively.  Another idea - give her immunity for the rolling and a short period afterward ... she's pretty squishy if you imagine her rolling into mobs.

• I chose Spring-Loaded for tier 1. It gives you 5 attacks before Outta The Way buff ends instead of the usual 4, buying a bit more wiggle room to time your dives. In retrospect, I should have chosen Deadier-Eye. 4 attacks at 200% damage instead of 5 attacks at 150% damage......but still getting use to the hero so I wanted a bit of wiggle room with the Outta The Way timing.

Hip Shot buff with Deadlier-eye gives +75% (your total dps now is 175%).
    Assuming spring loaded actually increases DPS by 15%, your DPS with Hip Shot buff will be 172.5%

unless i dont understand how attack speed works in this game, Spring loaded seems like a more reasonable choice, because it increases dmg w/o Hip shot buff too
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    I have been watching all day streamings of people playing Deadeye and played myself a bit.

I might be judging a bit too soon since I just played a few games with her compared to hundreds with the rest of heroes but:

Her E feels pretty underwhelming, best skill so far is the bramble. Even the Right click feels stronger than the E.
    This Epic skill has 1 minute cooldown and roots you in the place when using it, also it doesn't let you aim all around. It only deals more damage than the rest if you are trying to kill a boss or a big minion, but you need it to not be too close and to not move much or it will get out of your sight pretty easy, all that while staying safe.
    Last weaver for the primary attack makes it just plain better than the Epic skill when fighting crowds. I don't see many situations on where I would use E other than it looks cool to use it.

Shift Roll/Dash doesn't really feel like a mobility skill, I would love to be able to use it to reposition as an offensive mobility skill or to retreat when needed but atm isn't smooth enough and it doesn't feel like a gain on movement at all to me.
  • BenroadsBenroads Member
    It would be really nice if there was an option to turn off the little screen effects that characters get. For example Zoeys school changing, Cygnus' Rift Lord and now Deadeyes Infamy all have very distracting screen effects associated with them. Having an option to turn them off like the low health warning would be awesome.
  • Her roll felt wrong. I had to run in some direction for like 2-3 step for her to roll in that direction. And not into that cute armored ogre, or pit of fire, or smthing else. Don't extend the distance I beg you. It is hard not to roll into puts now. It would be impossible to use back roll on some maps if you increase the distance.
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access
    edited July 28
    After playing around with her all yesterday I feel that she has very strong combo potential between her bleed which is 5 Seconds and that's amazing in and of itself but also a burning effect which last quite a long time on her bomb. She also has a great skill option empowering her ultimate to pierce which becomes a ridiculous wave clear. But those are the highlights.

That being said I agree with all the negative stuff that has been already said. Some of the major downsides to her or her roll is unresponsive sometimes. If you're going to give her a skill which makes her engage close range by diving through enemies to damage them there should be some damage reduction component. Although making her dash farther would be great everyone's afraid of falling to their death. Gabriella already has a built-in mechanic where if you use her back step ability you can't fall off a ledge maybe something like that would help.

When I first read about infamy I thought that it would turn her into an engine of Destruction. I think the way to make it truly exciting is to dedicate an entire teir of Weaver upgrades to it. Maybe once you get it you periodically throw a bomb, crack the Bramble whip which is at her side which could be cool for a dash build. Or just gained some damage reduction.

Let's just not beat around the bush here she's essentially the Demon Hunter from Diablo 3. When people see her they want to live that dream. Just let them.... She already has half the skills anyways (like for Instance the vault skill has invincibility frames ..take notes)
  • xpendersxxpendersx Member
    edited July 31
    after playing some deadeye, i think the upcoming change to the passive is great.

Her E is kinda derp, the damage is nice but for a epic skill with that much cooldown it should have some punchtrough allready.

the roll should have a longer buff and in turn i guess a longer cooldown, 1.5 seconds is really to short something like 4 seconds maby? i just dont think making the range longer is a smart thing i'll see my self cliff diving way to often D:

Post edited by xpendersx on
  • I'm enjoying using the roll function.   The quirky high-mobility maneuver reminds me a bit of the "good ole days" of the beta when I'd spec into Gabriella's double-blink.

My only hangup on the move so far has been that in order to roll to the left I have to shift my hand positioning. 

...Given the outta-left-field "Wild West" theme of Deadeye, and OMDU's shared history of voice actors, I was a tad surprised that the character doesn't sound like The Sheriff from Borderlands 2/Pre-Sequel.