As someone who has spent over $1000 on your game...

Comments

• SpamwagonSpamwagon Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    edited August 5
    Look how @robot treats one of its most loyal customers, an early adopter and big supporter as far as money goes.

I get nothing but silence, and what appears to be no acknowledgement of the logic of my concerns.  

No debate - my assumption being because you know you are wrong and cannot admit that as a company.
    What do you guys tell yourselves?

The fact that your current method of making money is BAD was discussed and the very logical arguments that are still valid were presented to you.

Why did you proceed with it? Everyone knew it was bad.  We now know it it is bad.

You won't make a pittance with the current method of billing.   Everyone realizes it is awful.  You have an audience that understands that.

What is the plan?   Why didn't you fix it before?  Why are you silent?  

It appears that you don't care, or somehow think that what you decided was "right".... meaning, it looks like you either don't care or you are stupid.

• maybe if you spend another 1000 you'll blast through the ceililng.  Its a valid strategy.  Look at microsoft.  I recommend you spend more money and just power through it.
  • AxonyAxony Member
    Do you really think that a company will care about 1 person complaining?
    I know that you are annoyed because it feels like you wasted money.

Just remember that it is a free game and not many people are spending money on it so they need to make stuff more expensive and RNG that they are able to keep it running
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access

Maybe you should just add a 1000$ buy everything button. Sounds reasonable to me.
  • TeckTeck Member
    Every Free-to-Play game needs the whales to offset the poor.
  • Sharpy01Sharpy01 Member
    edited August 7
    I think that Robot are missing out on a big demographic here. This is my favourite game so far this year {new ps4 player} once I realised I loved it I immediately bought all the characters. Now I have a disposable income and would think nothing of throwing some money back into the system,  BUT apart from the 2x skulls/exp boost there is nothing I would buy. I am making quite enough skulls from playing all characters I have and eventually I assume I will cap out and will have no need for the x2 exp boost, also have no interest in skins. So I will then have no incentive to give any more of my money, now if you have a group of individuals willing to donate to the common good you should try and do something to accommodate them and reap the rewards of their generosity. This is just good business acumen.
    Post edited by Sharpy01 on
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Hey guys,

Just because we haven't responded publicly doesn't mean we're ignoring you on this or any other thread. This thread has already been passed along internally to the business team. The free business model for OMDU won't be changing but we always appreciate feedback on how purchases feel and what causes frustration. 
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
    Harmonia said:
    Hey guys,

Just because we haven't responded publicly doesn't mean we're ignoring you on this or any other thread. This thread has already been passed along internally to the business team. The free business model for OMDU won't be changing but we always appreciate feedback on how purchases feel and what causes frustration. 
    Thank you so much for responding.  I REALLY appreciate the fact that you guys have said you are listening and whatnot.

I hope you realize that you have a serious problem here, but here is what I expect - Nothing will change except slow and quiet changes behind the scenes that will systematically make any bonus you have on traps and whatnot be immaterial.  Meaning, I think that you guys will probably give up, and go back to traps not needing advancement, and it just being a big horrible case of smoke and mirrors for people that actually spent money on your game. 

Right now the fact that I have spent so much on your game is a testament to stupidity.  Why would anyone be THAT stupid?

Is that a question that you want to continue?
  • DaxtDaxt Member
    Don't worry, Mr. Spamwagon. People have lost significantly more in shorter periods of time than you and they were not even playing video games. 

I plan on spending some money on the game because I'm enjoying it and I think, with the quantity of content and immense replay value, the fine team at Robot entertainment deserves my hard earned money.... Worth it. I could be solving problems for people and making money but I'd rather kill orcs!

I'll be purchasing skulls and heros in addition to keeping the XP boost up for a few weeks. Chests seem expensive and don't matter as much as levels Imo. 
  • TurgarTurgar Member
    edited August 8
    I'm not a big spender on F2P games, although I do like cosmetic items and occasionally support devs by buying them. I probably spent around $100 on League of Legends while playing off and on for a year. The base price for LoL skins was usually more than I wanted to pay, but Riot offered occasional bundles and promotions. With a little patience, I often found something I liked at a price I felt good about paying.

OMDU is a game I've enjoyed for a while, but haven't spent much on (outside of the starter pack). There are a lot of cool skins and dyes, too -- nearly all locked away in chests. Chests are expensive by themselves, and there's a lot I don't want. It's hard to justify spending money on a modest chance to get what you really want -- even pulls using free gold have rarely been satisfying.
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access
    Donut shop "Hey everyone here is a plate of free doughnuts. If you want you can purchase some of these rainbow sprinkles to put on them but you don't have to. In fact if you eat enough we will just give you sprinkles"

Patron: " cool I'll take $5,000 worth of sprinkles with my free donuts... Boy I sure hope all of these rainbow sprinkles come out red"......" hey wait a minute all these rainbow sprinkles came out as a rainbow  I wanted it all red! Since I bought so many sprinkles I now demand I have a say in how you make your Donuts"

Doughnut shop " yeah so the donuts are still free but thank you for supporting our effort to keep them free for everyone else."

Patron : "that's it I'm going to sit around in front of your store and scream about all the flaws and Imperfections in your free donuts buisness until you give me a better variety of sprinkles and toppings"

If your frame what's going on in a different situation it looks like total freaking insanity.
  • xGpZxxGpZx Member
    Harmonia said:
    Hey guys,

Is this still the same copy paste you have used from about a year ago?
  • xGpZx said:
    Harmonia said:
    Hey guys,

Is this still the same copy paste you have used from about a year ago?
    Nope, none of these sentences have ever been used on this forum.
    Harmonia was just very formal. :innocent:
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    No copy paste, but we've stated on the record many times that there won't be any major changes to purchases or chests. Since the feature isn't going to undergo any major changes, my responses to threads on purchases are going to remain rather consistent. I won't string you guys along with expectations that there will be any results for sharing this specific feedback but it's still valuable for our team to receive it, which they do. 
  • TeckTeck Member
    Harmonia said:
    No copy paste, but we've stated on the record many times that there won't be any major changes to purchases or chests. Since the feature isn't going to undergo any major changes, my responses to threads on purchases are going to remain rather consistent. I won't string you guys along with expectations that there will be any results for sharing this specific feedback but it's still valuable for our team to receive it, which they do. 
    If you're interested in feedback that reflects other options for monetization, I'd personally be more intrigued in a broader selection for infinite consumables.  I play survival solo almost exclusively.  I liked the idea of an infinite Guardian Potion for 1500 gold and would like other guardian potions to choose from or possibly other infinite scrolls outside of sabotage.  I'm also interested in seeing (and slightly surprised I haven't already) a 4th tier of dyes to be able to purchase.  Part of me thinks that 4th tier dyes should be a gib purchase from the premium store though since I feel like the premium store is still woefully under stocked, but that's a different topic.  The most under represented items in the game though, I believe are gear in general.  I have no specific item requests in this matter, but I'm always underwhelmed by the 12 items we currently have.  Other than during certain weekly challenges, I almost completely disregard gear altogether.

All in all, I am not disappointed in the pricing and monetization structure of the game personally.  I find most of my personal reflections on it almost entirely reflect availability and versatility of item types.
  • HypovolemicHypovolemic Member
    edited August 9
    @Teck, I fully agree with everything you said.

Consumables
    I also think they should sell a full set of infinite Consumables for survival, but I think they should be priced differently.  At 1,500 gold the Infinite Guardian Potion requires you play about 200 maps and use it every time just to break even with the individual purchase costs (5 per 35 gold). Now, I bought it anyway because I hate the way Consumables work. Now I can at least play with one Consumable without being annoyed at the whole system. That said, I would buy more than my two favorite infinite Consumables if they were priced at 500 gold each.  They can just remove the limited bundle gold costs then. That way, you can buy limited use bundles for Skulls or infinite ones for gold (with gold borders, how appropriate).

Basically, I think they should sell 16 infinite Consumables for 500 gold each instead of one for 1,500 gold.

Dyes
    Moving dyes into Gibs purchases would recapture some of the old prestige feel of dyes. And removing them from the vanity chests would make it more likely for me to purchase said chests.  I will never buy a Grand Vanity Chest in its current form.

Gear
    A long running suggestion is to add passives to Gear. That and ditch the whole concept of "primary attack replacement" if favor of effects that feel more powerful. For example:

Ice Amulet:
    • Active: A damaging blast of ice around the hero.
    • Passive: Take 50% less damage from fire sources.
    Firewall Bracers:
    • Active: Place a wall of fire (as is).
    • Passive: Applies a burn DoT to enemies that hit the hero.
    With passives attached to Gear, if done well, you might actually start making map specific decisions about which Gear to bring.  They did the same basic thing with Guardians and I think it worked out really well.
    Post edited by Hypovolemic on
    This is more great feedback, guys. Thank you! I'll make sure the right folks take another look at this thread. While the business model itself isn't going to be changing, hearing more about what you guys *do* want to see in new content and purchase methods for it is really helpful. The base deck consumables are a newer component to the game and we haven't heard too much feedback on those.
  • mdragoonmdragoon Member
    edited August 9
    @Spamwagon the business model for most free to play games when done right rarely rewards spending large amounts of money on any RNG based goods. Money is always extremely useful at getting you to a mid to late point in the games progression skipping the weening process of learning the game mechanics and basic material acquisition.

I know from my experiences with other F2P titles that the initial RNG only chest purchases wasn't something I was going to invest in. What is the best value for money spent are on permanent, non-repeatable goods and services as everything else diminishes in value vs the amount acquired so far as you've come to experience here.

Things that would make sense to have a gold purchase option and feel rewarding for players are heroes and cosmetics. The RNG nature of traps, gear, guardians, and traits especially with the possible expansion of any of these at any point in time makes it so that throwing a lot of money at them at any one time is not a good long term idea, as any early purchase removes the chance to expand your inventory once they expand the possible acquirable items.

A good progression path to follow if one plans to spend money is: Purchase heroes, Purchase cosmetics for heroes (these are non-repeatable, so you can never double up), purchase some chests depending on how tolerant you are to rng (i would recommend few but that's me personally, i like to play for my rewards), save for possible events or splurging of new heroes/traps.

Once you get to the point where you're looking for individual traps to level the new layout for the daily deals/premium shoppe allows you to choose to grab parts or traps from duplicates, build up your skull pool, and then use the daily deals to max traps that aren't tier 7. If you don't need to bulk buy parts then the Chaos Keys are the most lucrative option at the moment provided you can proceed to around tier 10 on any given key and becomes even better if you have a team to share keys with regularly as it triples their value.

This isn't to say that purchasing chests isn't a great thing to do, or that it's bad, but more of a Caveat Emptor. While you have the ability to purchase whatever you want, understanding the business model of the game is important on deciding what you want to purchase. I hope that as time goes on the game does offer things that will feel rewarding for those who spend money but in the long game a F2P counts on repeatable purchases of things to stay afloat.

The chaos keys are likely the best merchandise created for the game right now and I hope that more repeatably purchasable and rewarding items like this are eventually created, we'll see as time goes on.
    Archivist of the Order, feel free to ask me any questions you have!