As someone who has spent over $1000 on your game...

Comments

• xciencexcience Member, Early Access
    There was some enthusiasm raised about possibly creating more detailed tool tips for each character in suggesting traps and items that pair with them well in their description. I always find it enjoyable to see featured characters and having deals associated with them. For instance every week could have a different character featured and a bundle could be offered where you could not only unlock that character but their signature traps, items, skins associated with them. The whole package or part of this package could have a percentage discount for that week and there is also an opportunity for a particular challenge associated with that character. That would make it more desirable to purchase the jcharacter because then you could compete in that week's challenge. If you start running out of characters... Looks like you need to make us some more. If you separate the parts of the entire bundle to purchase for a lesser discount people could purchase that trap or skin and still feel like there's some value.

The whole idea isn't completely flushed out here but it does package together monetization, user guides, and events nicely
  • I'm pretty new to the game on PC but I also play on PS4 (where I started, about at release time) I am a fan of all orcs must die games back to the beginning.

I also don't mind spending money on a game thats free but there is an inherent problem with all free games and thats the 'amount' you ask for things.

I'm no business major... I am not really even very good at maths but ROBOT... Heres an idea.

Drop your prices BECAUSE if you do, 'more' people will pay for things, hence making you more money. this just seems SO obvious to me!

Currently a lot of people play free and just grind and grind until they have enough for a new hero and then grind that hero for chests rinse repeat. A LOT of these people are doing that because they find your pricing too high (as do I). Those people will be willing to buy things if they were just more realistic prices! 

Don't ask me how much I'd like to see things for... I simply dont know the game well enough to comment on that level but in general your prices are indeed painful. 

My 2 cents... Which incidentally you dont have (and wont ever have) until the prices drop. 

• Hello, the only reason im commenting here is to give my feedback on "is it worth it or not to donate". I play this game for 100 or so days and i got all the traps t7 and all the parts and all the gear, traits, guardians. I donated twice, once 30$ for the hero bundle and 150$ to buy the skins i wanted. I curently have most of the skins. I dont have 6 skins and 3 dyes ( the starter vanity chest) the rest of them i own. In my opinion buying rift lord chests is just ( how to put this nicely so no one will be mad?) lets say it shouldnt be a prioroty. U can grind everything that matters on your own.

The only thing that matters and the only thing that its worth the money in this game are the badges(apprentice, master founders and one more that i cant remember) those are the single and most valuable vanity items in the game. And since they say that they dont plan making new ones very soon thats just sad. Also what this game lacks greatly are exclusive vanity items( like the badges :)) ) but in forms of avatars, titles and so on. The " endless painbringer" was fun for like 1 week then everyone had it so its not fun anymore. Something should be done to differenciate the high grinding lv 100 players from the casual players imho.

I DO HOPE THAT THE DEVS WILL MAKE NEW BADGES (cant emphasize this better and more, i say this everytime).

So before even considering buying anything better ask the community first just to be sure youre buying the right thing. Donating 1000$ should grant u "GOD" title in game, i mean seriously who donates 1000$? 

So just to wrap this up a bit. Donating is worth it, the game should be supported, the team should be supported, its not easy to make everyone happy. Im one of the most critic people that u could find ( im never satisfied, if i see a bug i start the "incompetence" card but this is not because of hate or im just a bad person this is because i like this game too much and im very focused on details in everything i do) but even i agree that this game should be supported but i also agree that this is a two lane road so there are many improvements to be made. I do hope we will see them sooner than later.

Anyway i hope that the developer team is reading all these comments to get a good ideea about what should be done to better the vanity part of the game because selling rift lord chests for that huge price is just ... ahm* not ok... and they areNOT worth it. 

Hugs

• @Arterus

There was a discussion on the price of the skins here

in short the skins varies from 2.5$ to about 4$, it's not that high.
    some people will also never invest what ever the price, lowering the price by half you'll need to find twice the people to buy them, if you get only 35% more, you're losing money, so they have to find the spot where you get enought people to buy with a decent price.

as for the rift lord chest price, well simply I'll never bought a rift lord chest, it`s a lot more fun getting them in game, but I do understand that players wanting an easier time at low-level, could buy some when starting.

The starter bundle, and the hero bundle are pretty good deal (would have goten those when I started if they would have been available)
    I myself am pretty happy with the skin  ;)
  • DnbNationDnbNation Member
    edited September 28
    @Harmonia

if you really want to milk the system, put a discounted cost on gold prices in the PS4 store for a week long before the New Call of duty drops...  B)
  • I spent $60.00 on this game. The same price I would have spent for any other PS4 game. I would have spent more but I'm skeptical about an always online game. One thousand dollars. Wow...
  • Now that the premium shop exists to use gibs for things, and the daily deals are restricted to traps that you don't already have maxed out, and that you can get TWO daily chests from daily quests instead of just one (which might not seem like much but that's twice as much.  100% more is pretty huge in the grand scheme of things), progression in this game is actually at a pretty decent clip and there really should be no need to spend real life money on rift lord chests (unless you're that desperate to get a guardian or gear or trait.  Those are the only things which haven't had many quality of life improvements applied to obtaining them.  Admittingly I too still have yet to get some of them which is kinda annoying...)

I hope the game's making enough money to survive and flourish.  As it is, since you can get the heroes for free and there isn't much need to buy rift lord chests (which is a GOOD thing) and the subscription doesn't really provide many benefits (nor would you need them), I'm not sure where else the money is coming from besides skins.  Ah well, I'm sure they know what they're doing... hopefully.
  • I think that the balance for currency is set up mostly for skins and dyes.  As far as I have experienced, it is fairly generous with having enough skulls to keep up with all trap upgrades as you play.  For a player who has purchased everything available via real currency, then the premium shop is good to have for sure since there isn't a whole lot for end gamers there yet though, we might have to just wait and see what the future holds for gibs.
  • JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access
    Well spending money when starting and buying chests will save you some time, which can be good for people with more disposable income vs disposable time.

While I understand the OP's frustration, well, he should've seen that coming, tbh... The more you get stuff, the less "beneficial" it is to buy chests. Maybe it'd be better to suggest stuff that can be obtained with real money, instead of just venting, but eh...

The main flaw to the financial system, that I see, is a total lack of a "gifting" model, as in: players should have a way of gifiting stuff to their friends using their gold coins. That's the one thing that's lacking, besides maybe more buyable stuff, although to be fair, at the rate the OP seems to be spending, he'd be constantly out of new stuff to buy, so he's an exception rather than the rule, I suppose.
    edited October 3
    I have spent a decent amount of money on this game to buy cosmetics and also to gamble with buying Rift Lord Chests to obtain the last guardian I need + the power up damage trap upgrades.

After all was said and done, neither of them was obtained through gambling. 

The other day I spent over 70,000 Gibs on traps chests in the premium store. More than half of the chests just gave me Gibs in return. 

I basically traded 40,000 Gibs in exchange for 5,000 Gibs.

Something just doesn't feel right.

I didn't even get one power up damage trap in any of those Gibs chests also which was a major letdown.

I like to support gaming companies and I want to buy more gold to support Robot. I just feel at this point, I will hold off buying chests in the store.
    Post edited by DnbNation on
  • 40 000 Gibs в обмен на 5000 Gibs. Это очень печально. Обычно все нормальные люди хотят получать удовольствие от игры, а не страдания. Может разработчики думают, что ты мазохист и хочешь получать боль? Я порекомендовал им сделать по такому же принципы и сундуки со скинами, что бы ты получал одинаковые скины. И вот когда игроки перестанут крутить эти сундуки, может тогда они поймут, что здесь нормальные  люди, а не извращенцы и мы хотим получать положительные эмоции от игры. Иначе зачем нам в это играть если нам это не нравиться?
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access

this is what they said ^

40,000 Gibs in exchange for 5000 Gibs. This is very sad. Usually all normal people want to enjoy the game, not suffering. Maybe the developers think that you are a masochist and want to get hurt? I recommended them to do the same principles and chests with skins, that you would get the same skins. And then when players stop twisting these chests, then they can understand that there are normal people here, not perverts and we want to receive positive emotions from the game. Otherwise, why should we play this if we do not like it?

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    I still think the same I thought when this post was created. Even before, since this isn't the first post that says pretty much the same.

I'm probably not the best example to talk about this since I don't usually spend much in games and I myself dislike the gambling that I have experienced in store of games before. First place I encountered it was being introduced on MMOs more than a decade ago.  However, ever since people has spent money on it.

Best recent cases, and in my honest opinion way more agressive and intrusive, are FB/Mobile games with their funny stores or just CS:GO and other games with their own markets where speculation and gambling are the common practices.

That said, this game is nowhere close as bad as those P2W MMOs or this huge market gamblings nowadays. Ofcourse this isn't an excuse at all, having a frustrating Store/shop is always a negative aspect about the game. Skin chest gambling felt bad for many, but it seems like the most popular complain are the progression chests. A massive amount of people called them P2W, while the OP clearly shows how this chests are a massive sink of gold for a progress that not only veterans/hardcore but also regular players, find ridiculous due to its little reward.

That makes me think that these chests are just giving a negative image of P2W to players while they are being bought by many just to find afterwards that they aren't that good afterall. Conclusion being that the chests might not be a product targeted to most players, atleast their essence of progressing faster. Knowing how the progression works, I would say that these chests are best for very new players mostly but they most likely will also need Skulls or a survival pass in combination to make up for the lack of skulls.

About the Premium Shoppe chests I have mixed feelings. On one hand, people like @DnbNation complain of not getting good rewards from them, it's gambling too yes, but we have to keep in mind that this chests are bought with non-premium currency and they already have an increased value of only rare and epic rarities dropping and they also give skulls. In top of that and also as the counter part, we have the Store Deals, which only sell traps that aren't Tier 7, allowing to focus on the last missing traps with also non-premium currency as an alternative to RNG from regular chests or gambling with Gibs/Gold.

Not to mention, that this is a very easy complain to do when you have pretty much everything in the game. After some thousand hours in the game, it wouldn't be very reasonable to complain that every chest in the game only gives me gibs back due to owning everything in the game. It's arguable but upgrading all traps to T7 could be seen as a completionist thing, takes effort. Although is understandable that the nature of the game is way more casual than an Asian Grindy MMO or similar.

As for the Skin gambling, I like more the way Paladins is handling it. Most if not all the stuff in those chests can be also directly bought by a higher price, also many of the contents of the premium vanity chests can be also obtained through non-premium chests with luck/RNG.
  • I would love to raise an issue also with the hero bundle on the store as well. Atm i am lvl82. I miss 3 heros ( Bionka, Tundra and Temper) for 36k skulls or around 15€. For me i can't justify that cost. On the other hand you have the hero deal at 25€ that offers all heros except Deadeye for a deal of 126k Skulls. That's 5.04k skulls per euro compared to 2.4k i can get per € now. 

Unfortunately i will not spend the money because i see how bad of a deal i am getting by buying them with gold. 
    Ofc this is an effect of Anchoring Bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring) backfiring for you Robot. Deals etc should motivate you spending money on your game not discourage it. 

Also @TimeMaster ; agreed with what you wrote 100%. I haven't played Paladin but giving the option to buy a skin directly or getting it randomly at lower cost allows people to more easily sink more money. In the end if you want to milk money from someone you should enable him not discourage him (ethics and morality aside). 
  • @Arterus

There was a discussion on the price of the skins here

in short the skins varies from 2.5$ to about 4$, it's not that high.
    some people will also never invest what ever the price, lowering the price by half you'll need to find twice the people to buy them, if you get only 35% more, you're losing money, so they have to find the spot where you get enought people to buy with a decent price.

as for the rift lord chest price, well simply I'll never bought a rift lord chest, it`s a lot more fun getting them in game, but I do understand that players wanting an easier time at low-level, could buy some when starting.

The starter bundle, and the hero bundle are pretty good deal (would have goten those when I started if they would have been available)
    I myself am pretty happy with the skin  ;)

Hi CremoAcanthis, first and foremost let me thank you for your video's! If I ever get stuck, I ALWAYS turn to yours, so being able to thank you when your a captive audience makes me happy :) 

A small correction, I wasn't really talking about skins... As a personal preference I have absolutely zero interest in skins but if I did buy them, I feel they are indeed too expensive, considering how many there are. 

But back on point. While I completely understand the explanation you have given, I can't help but still disagree. I'm not being argumentative here, please dont think that but I personally would give ROBOT my hard earned cash if the prices were lower. My wife agrees (and I dont think thats just because she's my wife :P) two of my friends who play also sight the exact same reasons for not buying, while agreeing if the prices were cheaper they 'would' pay out some money. 

So out of 4 people who play Orcs Must Die unchained, 4 of them agree that IF the prices were cheaper they would pay. We simply cant be the only 4 people out there who feel and think this way. I mean we could argue this back and forth until we are blue in the face, there is no proof of either side here being right. I accept fully that ROBOT have more clever people than me working on how much they should charge but the proof of the pudding would be in them actually dropping their prices and seeing what happened!

Like I said... I DO understand your argument here but if we are not talking 50%... Maybe just 30% would have a similar effect, more people would buy. Certainly the 4 of us would and thats a full 400% more than is buying now just from my friends and I. 

Maybe it's more complex than I am seeing, that could also be the case... But in my mind at least, a drop would gain more custom. 

Art
    edited October 3
    @TimeMaster
    We don't have "guaranteed" store deals yet. I am lucky to buy 3 out of the 24 store deal items they provide weekly. 

We don't have chaos trials to farm. 

I wouldn't consider it pay to win when the first time I've bought "store chests" was at max rank 100.

I have farmed every obtainable chest in game between survival and endless on all difficulties with every hero, there is no chests I can obtain through playing the game besides the daily quest, the weekly challenge and login bonus.

I'm stuck at a standstill, That is the reason why I invested more money into a game I enjoy to play. 

I have purchased a lot of cosmetics in the past to show my support to the company.

This isn't a complaint, I'm just simply letting it be known that this system is unforgiving and not beneficial to the people who play the game long term. 
  • @DnbNation

If you are out of CT Trials you can always buy some keys (Gold/Gibs) ,get invited to do em or play enough games so you may get em as a drop. CT are for those out of ways to obtain more than the 2 dailies and the 4 weeklies. And can drop up to 12 chests. Not bad of a deal.

In the end maybe its time to take a break if you have done everything and pace yourself. Maybe farm the impossible achivements like 200m coin spend etc etc. 

The deal page as far as i know it shows only traps that havent gotten to t7. So given enough days your last traps will become t7 if you pace yourself and dont burn out.

edited October 3
    -
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    DnbNation said:
    @TimeMaster
    We don't have "guaranteed" store deals yet. I am lucky to buy 3 out of the 24 store deal items they provide weekly. 

We don't have chaos trials to farm. 
    You should have mentioned that you are on PS4, I only play PC but I obviously understand. Since I was in your very same situation for several months until those changes were added. But some of what you are pointing out has been fixed/improved in PC already, and later this month, the PS4 will catch up and have all of that with the next update, as the blog said. You are right though, I agree with that, as the OP pointed out and has been pointed out before too, the game model and its systems aren't very focused on long term players or hardcore players.
    edited October 3
    @CuteAnduin We dont have chaos trials on PS4.

It's not impossible, I'm already over half way done. @ 54% to be exact - Empty Pockets Achievement

We don't have guaranteed store deals yet.