Why don't solo games have more trap slots?

This has always kinda bugged me and I never stumbled across an answer before. In the last iteration of the game, if you were playing solo you got a couple extra trap slots to compensate. Why is this not a thing any more?

Comments

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    You pretty much have already those extra slots regardless if you are playing solo or in party in this game, compared to the others.
  • edited August 4
    I'm mean I understand what you're saying once  you subtract for weapon/gear/etc. But that still doesn't address the significant disadvantage this installment poses when playing solo vs. playing with a team. There are so many maps where just one or two extra trap slots would go such a long way for solo play. I get that there has to be some restriction to impose a challenge and inspire creativity, but to to an extent I still feel that if a group has a total of 21 trap slots to play with, solo could at least offer up a tad more than 7.
  • KjubyKjuby Member
    I want more trap slots
  • As has been said in other threads, yes, more trap slots for solo. So many traps that have highly specific uses that just cannot be used solo because they aren't worth the trap slot over things you NEED to take. How about 2 more trap slots for solo, and one more each for duos even. I know the developers like to think they have a system that correctly compensates for more or less players, but just making enemies tougher or weaker, and not doing anything about trap variety OR total trap count OR number of spawn points is really just a bandaid, not a real fix.
  • If that were the case, multiplayer should have less trap slots like it did in OMD2. The fact is that every mode (except maybe high tier chaos trials which is meant to be unbeatable) can be completed solo. There are many YouTube videos showing how people achieved this. Extra trap slots etc are not required. 
  • yobbobear said:
    If that were the case, multiplayer should have less trap slots like it did in OMD2. The fact is that every mode (except maybe high tier chaos trials which is meant to be unbeatable) can be completed solo. There are many YouTube videos showing how people achieved this. Extra trap slots etc are not required. 
    Yes, every map can be completed, solo, but using the same traps over and over again isn't interesting, and isn't fun. Trap variety leads to more interesting games leads to players continuing to play instead of getting bored and doing something else.
  • TeckTeck Member
    yobbobear said:
    If that were the case, multiplayer should have less trap slots like it did in OMD2. The fact is that every mode (except maybe high tier chaos trials which is meant to be unbeatable) can be completed solo. There are many YouTube videos showing how people achieved this. Extra trap slots etc are not required. 
    Yes, every map can be completed, solo, but using the same traps over and over again isn't interesting, and isn't fun. Trap variety leads to more interesting games leads to players continuing to play instead of getting bored and doing something else.
    I agree that variety in trap load outs makes the game more interesting, but I don't necessarily think that means we need more slots.  Taking a chance on REPLACING reliable trap loadouts for testing rather than taking them in addendum is also interesting in its own way by merit of making the chance of victory more unknown.
  • If you complain that placing the same 7 traps is boring, then placing the same 10 traps in an extended Loadout would probably be equally as boring. I agree with Teck. 

• yobbobear said:
    If you complain that placing the same 7 traps is boring, then placing the same 10 traps in an extended Loadout would probably be equally as boring. I agree with Teck. 

I respectfully disagree. I think they currently have the right spot for necessary traps, but theres always a few different ones that I think would be good for a single placement somewhere in the level, and that changes based on the level or enemies that are being faced. Additionally, it isn't 7 trap slots, it's 6 and a barricade slot, because you simply cannot not have those unless you are teaming up and someone else is bringing them, hence, back to why solo players need more slots.

Multiple players double and then triple trap variety, and the developers need to compensate for that for single players, no way around it.
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    yobbobear said:
    If you complain that placing the same 7 traps is boring, then placing the same 10 traps in an extended Loadout would probably be equally as boring. I agree with Teck. 

I respectfully disagree. I think they currently have the right spot for necessary traps, but theres always a few different ones that I think would be good for a single placement somewhere in the level, and that changes based on the level or enemies that are being faced. Additionally, it isn't 7 trap slots, it's 6 and a barricade slot, because you simply cannot not have those unless you are teaming up and someone else is bringing them, hence, back to why solo players need more slots.

Multiple players double and then triple trap variety, and the developers need to compensate for that for single players, no way around it.
    To be honest, my loadout usually has 3-4 main traps and 1-2 "free" spots for the more situational ones. I don't really feel like needing more trap slots.

However I could get behind allowing to use 1 extra trap at the cost of 1 gear slot or maybe even both.
  • TeckTeck Member
    yobbobear said:

To be honest, my loadout usually has 3-4 main traps and 1-2 "free" spots for the more situational ones. I don't really feel like needing more trap slots.

However I could get behind allowing to use 1 extra trap at the cost of 1 gear slot or maybe even both.
    Actually, this kind of sounds neat.  Having 1 slot be universal for players who want to lean more towards gear or maybe want to sacrifice a trap for another trait might be interesting.
  • yobbobear said:

This. Though I personally disagree with yobbobear/teck, I can absolutely understand that side of the coin and can see why it doesn't bother others. Being able to sacrifice gear slots for trap slots would definitely be a happy middle ground though.
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access

Please this

• TeckTeck Member
    yobbobear said:

This. Though I personally disagree with yobbobear/teck, I can absolutely understand that side of the coin and can see why it doesn't bother others. Being able to sacrifice gear slots for trap slots would definitely be a happy middle ground though.
    I had a feeling there were probably a lot of people who do.  That's why I liked the sacrifice idea.  I think Robot would be more willing to listen to an idea that has balance to it like that and it won't really impact players who see it fine as is.  As previously stated, I'm always more interested in finding alternative play styles and tactics that are still viable.
  • JumilithJumilith Member, Early Access
    Personally, I'd like to see a new, additional trap slot dedicated entirely to the support traps like Speed Pad, Healing Well, or Shield Powerup. I try to switch around my loadouts for funsies most games, but I can never quite justify losing a combo or damage generating trap for the occasional buff or mana recharge from supports.
  • Having to choose between using slots for gear or traps gear was a staple of OMD 1 & 2. I was actually surprised it wasn't carried over the Unchained but I agree that one or both of the gear slots should be able to carry gear or traps. 

I don't think that there should be more slots for solo players. If anything I think there should be more traps added to work better with less used/situational traps to vary options more.
  • Having to choose between using slots for gear or traps gear was a staple of OMD 1 & 2. I was actually surprised it wasn't carried over the Unchained but I agree that one or both of the gear slots should be able to carry gear or traps.

Same here.  

I for one wouldn't mind if all of the slots were able to accommodate any option, an "Omni" slot, so to speak.  If someone wants to bring all guardians to the game, for example, why not let 'em?   OMD2 did.

Additionally, "omni" slots would allow the folks who aren't fans of the trait system to slot something else instead.