Is it me or Bloodspike is just plain AWFUL???

2»

Comments

• No need to prove anything completely subjective. Pretty much everyone knows these two heroes are terrible.
    In other words you are unwilling to change your mind, to the possibility that anything you know is wrong. :'(
    I have 800 hours on the game and I have played Bloodspike plenty, so no I am not willing to change my mind, and I am not wrong.
  • DelenterDelenter Member
    edited August 29
    I've played Blood spike a time or two since I've last commented, and I must say I still don't quite like him. That being said, I don't hate him as much as I used to. But I still don't like him. If you are not careful and use all your skills to quickly, and minions slip past you, you are going to have a hard time, If your cades break somewhere he is not going to be able to sustain the hoard as easy as others would. But that being said if you stack his Execution weavers it really does help him out. That could just be me but you have to pick every weaver for that skill as he levels, at least for me, or you are not gonna have the CC to handle it. 

On the subject of Hogarth. I have found that if I take the 100% less damage and then the dual axe Weaver, along with leap cooldown and the x2 to leap upon landing. That mixed with his natural CC and an active shield. HE can really clean up a swarm of minions rather easy. He brakes small minions in a single leap and deals heavy damage to larger minions. And being able to freeze them in a kill box and a couple of leaps later and you won't even have ogers because they will have all been broken. I know because I held the lower right lane on Criogon Keep by myself with Hogarth and shattered ogers like they were glass.

Edit: That being said.... I am level 92 now... sooooooo.... I guess you can take that into account.....

• Well, I certainly agree that the stutter on his primary attack feels really clunky. It also conflicts directly with his kit, because his Shift makes him move and attack faster, but because you can't move and attack at the same time it just makes him stutter faster. So it really ends up being move or attack faster, but not both, which feel off.

Just removing the locked attacks would make him feel a lot better, I think.  This complaint does pop up a lot. This definitely isn't the first thread I've seen where someone has said "I bought Bloodspike because I thought he'd be savage, but instead he's clunky and I regret it". I think as far as damage and such goes, he's actually pretty good, but this isn't entirely clear because of the play control issues.

Personally, I'd like to see his RMB and LMB merged into a combo chain like Temper has and have him use Rage instead of Mana. Maybe with his attack speed and movement speed scaling with his current Rage, instead of his Shift and the Bloodbath stack mechanic. That might make him feel like he's working himself up into a frenzy of violent terror...
  • AxonyAxony Member
    His stutter attack is part of his mechanic, try to jump while hitting to counter it
  • Well, I certainly agree that the stutter on his primary attack feels really clunky. It also conflicts directly with his kit, because his Shift makes him move and attack faster, but because you can't move and attack at the same time it just makes him stutter faster. So it really ends up being move or attack faster, but not both, which feel off.

Just removing the locked attacks would make him feel a lot better, I think.  This complaint does pop up a lot. This definitely isn't the first thread I've seen where someone has said "I bought Bloodspike because I thought he'd be savage, but instead he's clunky and I regret it". I think as far as damage and such goes, he's actually pretty good, but this isn't entirely clear because of the play control issues.

Personally, I'd like to see his RMB and LMB merged into a combo chain like Temper has and have him use Rage instead of Mana. Maybe with his attack speed and movement speed scaling with his current Rage, instead of his Shift and the Bloodbath stack mechanic. That might make him feel like he's working himself up into a frenzy of violent terror...
    That sounds interesting.
  • DaxtDaxt Member
    Rage and trinkets are quite OP....
  • SheepunSheepun Member
    edited September 4
    I've played Bloodspike a lot since i posted this topic, and i must say i really love him, along with Smolder and Midnight. He can hold a killbox like a beast while also dealing massive damage. But good luck dealing with wandering enemies though, without bloodbath stacks and a decent killbox his damage just vanishes.

But his stutter attack is still so annoying. If i were to fix one thing from him it would be that.
  • The stutter attack is probably there on purpose, I think?  Different characters have their mobility affected differently by their attacks.  Compare Midnight (no slowdown whatsoever) to Gabby (a little slowdown) to Bionka (Has a slight stutter) to Bloodspike (full stutter).  Although kinda strange how Bionka's a bit more mobile than Bloodspike in that regard, I suppose.

Assuming it's intentional, then the main issue is whether or not Bloodspike's other strengths make up for him having what's probably the worse stutter of all the characters.
  • you can work against the stutter with some tricks.

The main reason it is in there is because of his alpha design:
    His basic attack were more powerful and to balance it out he got the stutter attack.
    300dmg each attack vs a 500hp Max and he has the movement speed due to his Shift.
  • HypovolemicHypovolemic Member
    edited September 5
    Lorelle said:
    The stutter attack is probably there on purpose, I think?  Different characters have their mobility affected differently by their attacks.  Compare Midnight (no slowdown whatsoever) to Gabby (a little slowdown) to Bionka (Has a slight stutter) to Bloodspike (full stutter).  Although kinda strange how Bionka's a bit more mobile than Bloodspike in that regard, I suppose.

Assuming it's intentional, then the main issue is whether or not Bloodspike's other strengths make up for him having what's probably the worse stutter of all the characters.
    As I understand it, it exists for a few reasons. It was discussed in an IA a while back. The Temper release IA, IIRC:
    • There's an internal debate about whether it feels better to have a character with a slow primary attack stutter. The reasoning being that the stutter adds "weight" to the attack. I personally don't think this is true at all. It feels laggy to me, but that's the reasoning.
    • Back when the PvP mode (Siege) was a thing, they wanted to encourage more deliberate use of primary attacks for heroes with low RoF and high damage per hit. Also not something I agree with, but I believe that was part of the intent.
    The way Temper's attacks work resolved the internal debate, because they can now create something that feels similar to a hit-stop mechanic. The problem is, it takes a fair amount of work to migrate a hero to the new attack system and they haven't been able to do that yet for any of the older heroes.

I think getting Hogarth and Bloodspike on that system would be great. Probably Bionka as well, because they could do some interesting things with her. Eg, having the movement penalty for attacking ramp up quickly, but also have the end of the combo provide a lot of range/area/damage, so she deals a ton of damage if she remains stationary and crap damage if she runs around a lot.

Tundra is the only other stuttering hero and his is slight enough they could probably just remove it without changing his feel significantly (like they did with Dobbin).
    Post edited by Hypovolemic on
2»