I hope there's a way to get Ivy's costume this summer, too!

I wouldn't even mind if it was just purchasable with gold but the free-to-play players probably would but... whatever.  As long as it's available SOMEHOW.

Have they ever re-sold Smoulder's bikini by the way?  I was keeping an eye out for it for the longest time but never saw it come back.

Comments

• I don't know if you're talking about my summer or your summer, because on my side the summer is almost finish  ;)...

did not saw smolder outfit for over 10 month.. so maybe soon
  • JacowboyJacowboy Member, Early Access
    No, bikini smolder hasn't been available since Siege days... along with a couple other skins, like thong Hoggarth and maybe one or two more...
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn Member
    edited August 31
    I don't know if you're talking about my summer or your summer, because on my side the summer is almost finish  ;)...

did not saw smolder outfit for over 10 month.. so maybe soon
    When I saw the chests weren't available to buy yesterday I felt kind of crestfallen. Luckily they're available today. Happy to report that Kill-uea is back in my collection, which only leaves Max's Knight's Watch skin for me to reacquire to have recompiled my beta skins collection (which will feel like some kind of a milestone to me at least, lol). I had enough gold exactly to buy 7 of those chests (thanks for the pricing being reasonable guys, I mean it) and I needed to buy 6 of them before they gave up the goods. It gave me some Stinkeye and Hogarth items first, because I'll imagine it knew what I was after, lol. The only item left is Stinkeye's swimwear which I could take or leave. I'll probably buy it anyways it's kind of a cute idea and since there's only 1 item left why not own them all. But for now, after all that waiting, it's time to celebrate.

*boots up a match with the skin I've waited so long to own again.*

EDIT: Ugh I just noticed the event is handing out endless summer chests. *face palm*

You know what? OH WELL.
  • EDIT: Ugh I just noticed the event is handing out endless summer chests. *face palm*

You know what? OH WELL.
    I think they are going to be different chests. Since the image is different but the name is the same. Also the max skin is going to be in the chest so if it's the other one then I think we can't get it.
  • Hopefully those chests will not be too different. just used my last 650 gold on a chest and got the smolder skin. I'm glad with my draw, but i wonder if i should wait to spend some cash for the rest of the skins and dyes and colors now or later.  
  • EDIT: Ugh I just noticed the event is handing out endless summer chests. *face palm*

You know what? OH WELL.
    I think they are going to be different chests. Since the image is different but the name is the same. Also the max skin is going to be in the chest so if it's the other one then I think we can't get it.
      With apologies to Jeff I hope you're correct DTB.
  • Please do not support that gambling BS.

If you log in every day over a long enough period you will earn a substantial amount of gold. You might be gambling but the chips are complimentary.
  • KickedBynoobsKickedBynoobs Member
    edited August 31
    Please do not support that gambling BS.

If you log in every day over a long enough period you will earn a substantial insignificant amount of gold.

If you log in every day over a long enough period you will earn a substantial insignificant amount of gold.

No don't do that. I didn't stutter or make any mistake. You will earn a significant amount of gold as long as you're patient. If you're impatient, that's on you. If you want to act like some angsty brat I'll be sure to disregard you the way I would a child throwing a temper tantrum.
  • DonnerstagDonnerstag Member
    edited September 1

No don't do that. I didn't stutter or make any mistake. You will earn a significant amount of gold as long as you're patient. If you're impatient, that's on you. If you want to act like some angsty brat I'll be sure to disregard you the way I would a child throwing a temper tantrum.
    To be fair, you'd have to login every day for months to be able to afford one skin with the amount of gold that's given to you this way. Saying the amount is significant is like saying my employer pays me like a millionaire because technically if I wait 60 years I'll end up with millions... We seem to have significantly different definition of the word. ;)

It's fine that you like the gatcha model; though I'm always very surprised to see actual consumers defending it like corporate apologetics is their new job, and always with the same company-sanctioned rhetoric. This model is still gambling, and I think it's understandable that some people aren't okay with that.
  • I think they are going to be different chests. Since the image is different but the name is the same. Also the max skin is going to be in the chest so if it's the other one then I think we can't get it.
    The chest contents are most probably the same. We'll get Max's skin if we complete all four goals this summer.
  • LorelleLorelle Member
    edited September 1
    What will the chest contents be if you already own everything from the chest?   If nothing, that's kinda a slap in the face to someone who supported the game by buying the chest 7 times.  I hope they at least add four extra vanity items to it for those who already have all the normal contents (like er... me! :P)
  • This is what is in the event chests. Yes they should change the name of it.
    TimeMaster said:
    Event chests contain seasonal vanity prizes -- backplates, titles, and avatars -- 

Complete all 4 goals to earn a very special, very summery, Summer of Stunning Maximillian skin.

Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn Member
    edited September 7

To be fair, you'd have to login every day for months to be able to afford one skin with the amount of gold that's given to you this way. Saying the amount is significant is like saying my employer pays me like a millionaire because technically if I wait 60 years I'll end up with millions... We seem to have significantly different definition of the word. ;)

It's fine that you like the gatcha model; though I'm always very surprised to see actual consumers defending it like corporate apologetics is their new job, and always with the same company-sanctioned rhetoric. This model is still gambling, and I think it's understandable that some people aren't okay with that.

I don't know if everyone's log in rewards are different but I get 750 gold every 16 days. Which is roughly two free skins a month, assuming I'm not buying a cheaper pack like the starting hero (500 gold) or endless summer (650 gold) packs. So let's just drop this nonsense about it taking months to get a skin.

For another thing, this is not like saying your employer is paying you. That would entail actual work for one thing. All you have to do to collect these coins is log in everyday, which assuming you have steam open takes all of THREE mouse clicks and at a generous estimate, about 10 seconds of your time. I don't know if you've ever worked but it's usually a lot more involved that that. If you want a more accurate analogy, this would be more like if you were paid to say hi to your cat. To that end, what you're doing is generally bound up in what kind of reward you'd consider significant. To open a can of soda five dollars would be generous, to move a house... less so. Try not to lose sight of what you're actually doing while you're busy exaggerating okay? ;)

I never said there's anything wrong with not liking the gashapon model also. You're free not to like it. I'm just saying this is not the worst employment of it that I've ever seen. League of Legends for instance has gashapons but the item pool that's in them is HUGE. The chances of getting what you want are very small, (with a chance at a skin) and those gashapons cost two dollars each (you need to buy a box and a key to unlock the box) vs the three dollars for OMD's 750 coin chests (4.99=1250 coin/5=250x3=750). By comparison OMDU's gashas have had relatively limited item pools, which with the exception of the grand vanity chest have been divided up into manageable 7 item chunks. The OMD chests are also duplicate free. And you can't say "well you can always buy LoL skins individually" because you really can't. Some skins are only available through the gashapon system now.

Then you have Vindictus. To it's credit, events often give away 20 dollar items (runes or character outfits of some actual value). But it's gashapons are the worst. How would you like to pay 300 to 500 dollars to ensure that you get the item you want out of a gashapon? And before the system was added where you got a random number of vouchers from the gashapons themselves it wasn't unheard of for some whales to spend 1500 dollars to secure a rare item. Add to that that outside of contests there is no way to earn it's virtual currency, NX, other than plunking down some cold hard cash and you have the definition of pain.

Then there's Overwatch. In addition to having to pay to even play the game (45 dollars) it's got it's own Gashapons that are bloated with hundreds of items (damn you sprays!), still has time-locked content and it's not like they ever hand out their currency (coins) either.

So in short, the gashapon system we have here is not the most desirable way to get skins, (for the record I don't even like gashapon systems, and I wouldn't object if they made more skins available for direct purchase) but I understand that it could be much worse. I know this doesn't ameliorate the gambling aspect but I feel it's important to note, they're only skins. Unlike some games you can play this game completely free and unlike some games, there aren't any game modes or characters that are barred from you for doing so. You can farm up skulls and play any character. I also wouldn't say this is the most money grubbing game or company. The most expensive direct purchase skin in OMDU is five dollars. The most expensive in LoL is 25 dollars and in Vindictus 32 dollar outfitters (cosmetic items that override the appearance of your armor) are a thing and I feel like the fact that Robot hands you currency is pretty admirable, compared to some of the systems I've seen. And the amount I'm getting at least feels significant but I'm in the 200 log-in range so maybe my numbers are just better than yours.

For the record, I'm not apologizing for anything this company is doing. Because it hasn't done anything to be ashamed of. If there are people who feel oppressed just because they can't play dress up, are so lazy that showing up ten seconds a day is too much for them, expect everything to be handed to them, or get upset that they aren't getting enough free stuff already when plenty of people would give them both jack and orc that can't really be helped.

Post edited by GhengisJohn on
  • edited September 7
    Something something everything in this game should be free something redistribute the wealth something.