Gabby Blink Feedback

ScifiToiletScifiToilet Member
edited September 5 in General Discussion
Gabby's blink is so much worse.  At this point i guess i should expect this, but this one is really bad. 

Nevermind the mechanic of it.  The point of the change was as follows, quoted from patch notes.
Developer Comment: Players have asked for the ability to more easily control the direction of Gabby's blink for a long time.  Our argument used to be that we liked the skill ceiling associated with teleporting backwards.  However, since we made her a starting hero, we decided to revisit the design decision.  We hope this will make the ability more useful at all levels of play.  Be warned, it can take a bit of getting used to if you are accustomed to the old functionality.

So since she is a starter hero her abilities should be more friendly to brand new players.  Its a fair point.  That said, previously gabby could not blink off cliffs and now she can.  This makes blink so much harder for new players.  If there is a cliff/environmental hazard, gabby is a huge liability. While one could argue that this involves a certain skill, but I counter that gabby is a starter hero so should be decent on all maps and not a situational liability. Isnt that whole point of the change??? 

Its like no one even tested gabby after the change.  This is immediately noticeable in the first game. Im not even concerned about the other changes to blink, how did this change pass muster?

Post edited by Harmonia on

Comments

• I was a new player not long ago.  I played mostly Gabby; but didn't really use blink.  As a non-damaging skill, I just didn't bother to learn it at first.  As I got a little experience with the character, I picked it up and got "ok" with it.  From my perspective, this change doesn't seem harder to learn.  And it does make the character feel more mobile.

Blinking to the left isn't something I'll pick up quick; but being able to go forward is great.  I like it.
  • Yeah the backwards teleport was just terrible. Who wants to teleport when you can't see where you are going? At least I don't have to do that stupid thing of flipping around backwards before I teleport just so I can get where I want to go faster.

The ability to choose a direction to go is cute I guess? But seriously, they should have just flipped it 180 degrees and let you teleport in the direction the camera is facing like a normal aimed ability. And yeah, it would be nice if it automatically couldn't teleport you off a cliff, but I guess some people will consider that a "skill" to do it right. The new mechanic is actually MORE complicated than a simple targeted ability, so if they were trying to make it easier on newbies, uh, mission failed.

Gabby in OMDU is already a huge step down from her OMD2 incarnation where you could tie up entire waves by making them kill each other. Anything that can be done to help her is A-OK in my book. How about making the teleport aim-able with the mouse, including up and down elevations? Being able to bounce between height levels would give her massive mobility. My suggestion is that if you point it at a wall and there is a space to stand on the top of that wall, she just auto appears at the top. (I had a sentence here about teleporting down, before I realized that was stupid, because duh, gravity).
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    edited September 3
    We've seen mostly positive feedback, but I understand your concerns.  One option would be to make the skill default to blinking backwards if you are not moving.  

Regarding teleporting off cliffs, I also understand the concern here.  Unfortunately, the new system uses a different mobility system, so it would require a more substantial undertaking to change.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • pjk2002pjk2002 Member
    edited September 4
    @ShadeDev I hate to say it but you guys really should invest in that system if it's possible. Fat fingering the blink button could ruin an entire run of a map, and I would assume it would be even easier to do on console with accidentally pressing the wrong button or something. Underestimating the blink range could also just send you off a map, which wouldn't even be an issue limited to new players.
    Edit; I should add that I like the concept of the change, since I basically never used Blink ever, but being able to send yourself off a cliff can make players timid to use the ability entirely. That's just my opinion though.
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    pjk2002 said:
    @ShadeDev I hate to say it but you guys really should invest in that system if it's possible. Fat fingering the blink button could ruin an entire run of a map, and I would assume it would be even easier to do on console with accidentally pressing the wrong button or something. Underestimating the blink range could also just send you off a map, which wouldn't even be an issue limited to new players.
    Edit; I should add that I like the concept of the change, since I basically never used Blink ever, but being able to send yourself off a cliff can make players timid to use the ability entirely. That's just my opinion though.
    There's a lot of great things we should invest in.  It's on our list.
    Doug Houserman
  • Good to hear, sorry if that sounded super rude
  • I still think the new blink is an improvement.  If I had to choose between being able to blink off the map or being able to blink in any direction I'd choose the latter.  Then again I don't play Gabby all that much so Gabby mains probably have a better opinion.
  • This isnt even a debate in my eyes.  The point of the change was to make gabby easier to use for nubs, yet Robot in their infinite wisdom, made it so you could accidentally suicide by pushing 1 button.  On maps with no hazards there is no issue, and its great.  But as soon as you introduce a hazard, gabby is nigh unplayable.  A beginner hero should not be so map dependent. Play gabby on throne room or thricvod village and let me know how that goes.   Its worse than hogarth jumping into walls because...

Also thanks to the delay in blink you dont get the invulnerability, further compounding the issue.  Im not sure whether its the slowness or if invul is actually removed, but right now blink feels slow af and it doesnt protect you.

I like the forward blink, I think it opens the door for Gabby to be more aggressive in her playstyle, but why diagonally? like who needs this much control over blink direction.  You couldnt just do forward or backward?  That already would have helped nubs a bunch. NOpe instead youre gonna have sideways AND diagonal blinking making that orc even harder.  aiming hte mouse and moving a hero with wasd is already pretty challenging if youre new, but now they have to line that orc up and make sure they arent accidently strafing, which if you is the way all beginners learn to aim.  If youre new, you aim with wasd, not the mouse; we all did it. 

This is probably the 2nd most retarded change robot has made.  It doesnt even matter that the feedback is positive, if everyone got a million bucks from the governemtn they be happy to until they realize thats a horrible idea.  People jsut havent realized this about gabby.  You cant make her easier for new players and then make her super hard on certain maps.  How do you not see such a logical fallicy?  Baffling.

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    @ScifiToilet Insults are unnecessary.

Your arguments are rather weak too. I have been testing and the invulnerability worked fine for me. Problems with it might be due to lag?

I see the new blink as a change that keeps the high ceiling for skill at the same time of removing big part of the steep curve of it. Having to rotate the camera to move forward or even jumping midair and rotate the camera before blinking in order to not lose speed, wasn't an easy thing and not a thing for new players at all.

It's not the first game with this mechanic and you can choose how to use it, forward, backward, avoid sideways/diagonal, etc. Overall its a pretty big improvement of Gab kit paired with the healing that comes with it. 

About being able to die, how is it that different from Blackpaw double jump? double jump has even more range and not so much air control. I don't see the fat finger point but, how is it easier to press a wrong button versus pressing one twice by mistake?

I think you are understimating new players too. Players might die a couple of times because of it but I don't think it's gonna be much more than before.

Sideways and diagonals are gonna be very useful for getting out of control effects that reduce or negate your camera movement.

• HypovolemicHypovolemic Member
    edited September 4
    I also think Gabby's blink is much improved now.  I personally don't find the fact that you can teleport off a cliff difficult or strange at all, but I can see how it would be jarring at first. Temper's, Midnight's and Deadeye's dashes all work the same, so just apply the same expectations you would to those heroes.

And what's with the hate on diagonal movement? It'd be super confusing if it didn't work diagonally, because then it wouldn't teleport in the direction of movement.
    @ScifiToilet

I appreciate all the feedback, but let's try to keep the discussion more constructive.
    Doug Houserman
  • I love your last update for Gabby. Before update, I almost never use her blink, now it is so great. The huge help with mobility is super, you dont have to turn backward and blink to get forward. That was annoying. I feel pity for all those noobs who jump of the cliffs because of no skill, yes this is rude insult. (just grab Midnight, pick fast respawn weaver and make your training day at throne room, that give you some skill with blink) Maybe some dump protection so she could not jump off cliff would be nice, but not necessary.
    I like the default forward jump. I would always turn back before blink behind me, so I would check where I am going to blink.
  • I also think Gabby's blink is much improved now.  I personally don't find the fact that you can teleport off a cliff difficult or strange at all, but I can see how it would be jarring at first. Temper's, Midnight's and Deadeye's dashes all work the same, so just apply the same expectations you would to those heroes.

And what's with the hate on diagonal movement? It'd be super confusing if it didn't work diagonally, because then it wouldn't teleport in the direction of movement.
    Temper, Midnight and Deadeye arent starter heroes.  The whole point of the change was to make Gabby easier for nubs since she is a starter hero.  Reading comprehension: F

Anyway,
    I appreciate all the feedback, but let's try to keep the discussion more constructive.
    this was all i was looking for.  L confirmed. I rest my case. 

• I also think Gabby's blink is much improved now.  I personally don't find the fact that you can teleport off a cliff difficult or strange at all, but I can see how it would be jarring at first. Temper's, Midnight's and Deadeye's dashes all work the same, so just apply the same expectations you would to those heroes.

Temper, Midnight and Deadeye arent starter heroes.  The whole point of the change was to make Gabby easier for nubs since she is a starter hero.  Reading comprehension: F
    All right, let me rephrase if you're not following. I do not think her blink is more difficult to use now in any significant way.  Not aiming a teleport skill at a cliff is pretty basic.  It now works like a teleport usually does in video games, better matching new player expectations if they've ever played a video game before.
  • LorelleLorelle Member
    edited September 7
    Is it really that hard to not use a skill that blasts you in a direction when there's a pit or deadly lava in that direction?  Unlike Temper and Midnight who need to use their team-rocket-is-blasting-off-again skills in order to do large AoE damage or Dead Eye who HAS to roll in order to get her damage buff, it's not like anything forced Gabby to go rocketting off that cliff for a quick parachute-less sky diving trip in the first place.  Well, not unless you're using the stun weaver, at least (in which case, just don't select that weaver for that stage.  That's not an option for Midnight, Temper, or Dead Eye).

Midnight, Temper, and Dead Eye NEED their zoom-zoom skills in order to fully function.  Gabby only needs hers to move a linear distance really quickly, and odds are that if there's a vat of dissolving acid in that direction, she did not need to move into that vat of dissolving acid quickly in the first place.
  • xciencexcience Member, Early Access

I actually hate the change to this. if you make it blink backwards as its default, or always backwards if airborn it would be a lot better. part of its major usefulness is to get the weaver that stuns and literally jump in and blink out. its still doable but takes an additional amount of effort that seems pointlessly added/

As for making it now possible to kill yourself with it....... I don't see why this change was necessary.

• part of its major usefulness is to get the weaver that stuns and literally jump in and blink out. i

Remember when Gabriella's blink stunned by default, and was very useful?  I 'member.  

Picking the stunning weaver would be fine, but Gabriella had her attack speed heavily gimped so circumstances generally dictate that I have to pick the attack speed buff to compensate.

BTW, what about making the "Q" ability be a blink that defaults to reverse, but give a "Shfit" ability that blinks under the new format?    Also, I've noticed that, by default, OMDU does not have a controller button mapping for the "Shift" ability.
  • "shift" ability is the R3 button on PS4
  • People seriously have problems of suiciding as Gabby when using her blink? To get yourself thrown off a map with that you must be pretty much doing it intentionally or have no knowledge of the map at all. And you literally have more than enough time to walk around the whole map, check out what spots could be dangerous and what spots can be a potential place to redirect minions into. Tbh that's what the tutorial should teach the players - to explore the map, check your surroundings and so. 

• That said, previously gabby could not blink off cliffs and now she can.  This makes blink so much harder for new players.  If there is a cliff/environmental hazard, gabby is a huge liability. 

Came back on a whim last weekend to try a few maps with a buddy. Gabby is my fav hero, so of course I was playing her. Of course, shortly after figuring out blinking now took me forward, I blinked off a cliff.    

We may have different reactions - I laughed my butt off. Admittedly, I haven't played in over a year (Siege is still fresh in my mind), so I'm not the best judge of balance right now, but I think the blink is fine. It goes straight ahead, and you need to be careful around cliffs. Also heals you 40%, when the heck did that get added? Verruh nice.