About Yi-Lin default skin

So Yi-Lin is the new upcoming hero. She's from the chinese version of the game, and it shows in her default skin. I can't be the only one who feels like she doesn't really "belong" in OMDU. Granted, she does look like a fun character to play, but in term of art style, she doesn't look like an OMDU character. It almost feels like she comes from another franchise altogether.

After the last patch, for a few days, she wasn't set as "Upcoming" in the game, and we could see her alt skins; her 2nd skin in particular is much better than the first one, I think; it portrays her as an order mage, and make her look much more like an OMDU character, when her default skin looks like an alt skin. It's like if Ivy's default skin was the Grovewatch one (Bikini skin), it would feel weird.

So I know it's probably already decided, but has Robot considered making her alt skin the default one? I think it would look better for the game, since a character so wildly different style-wise makes its art direction look quite inconsistent. I for one would much prefer playing her as an asian-inspired order mage. What do you think? :)

Comments

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    I could definetely get behind that. 

Personally I don't really mind. Although the Order armor one looks cooler for me =)

• and here are we, poor ps4 players who even aint gotten tundra yet... but he'll come "soon"...
  • apinapin Member, War Mage Founder
    First and only CZ&SK funsite of OMD series http://orcs-must-die.cz

• TeckTeck Member
    edited September 13
    While I agree that the alternate costume seems to fit a little better, I don't think the primary is that bad.  To be honest OMDU in general seems to have derailed the character lore slightly by mixing all the forces together so it doesn't bother me so much.  I'm more amused by the blatant modification of all the primary female character art to make them all sexier while the every male art is virtually untouched.

EDIT:  This was a reference to the Chinese portraits compared to the Western ones by the way.
    Post edited by Teck on
  • Madrek MandalaMadrek Mandala Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    I agree that Yi-Lin looks like she comes from elsewhere, but she does come from elsewhere.  In lore she come from their version of China.  Besides we could get some cool stuff from this.  Think about it: new traps, guardians, maps, and minion factions.  I can already see samurai and Oni coming in waves!
  • KulinaKulina Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hello!

Thank you all for your comments on Yi-Lin! Don't hesitate to discuss this topic further to let us know what you like/dislike about this new character's looks ;)

Cheers!
    French Community Manager
  • JumilithJumilith Member, Early Access
    Agree that the alt skin looks like a proper member of the War Mages and main skin looks like an alt skin. Like both, but the War Mage-ish skin looks better as her base.
  • Teck said:
    While I agree that the alternate costume seems to fit a little better, I don't think the primary is that bad.  To be honest OMDU in general seems to have derailed the character lore slightly by mixing all the forces together so it doesn't bother me so much.  I'm more amused by the blatant modification of all the primary female character art to make them all sexier while the every male art is virtually untouched.

EDIT:  This was a reference to the Chinese portraits compared to the Western ones by the way.
    Personally, I don't mind that they made the art for the ladies sexier.  Heck, I appreciate it.  It's nice to see that Robot hasn't been hit that hard with the PC stick.  Costumes are one of the ways they make money off the game.  A majority of the players are male, so naturally a majority of the females will be made to be attractive (With one very large, yellow exception).  There's a reason Max's beach skin will be given for free after event completion while Ivy's can only be gained from a chest.  I myself am more likely to pay for a sexy skin for one of the ladies.  That being said, I'm probably not gonna spend any gold to get Yin's raincoat haha.

As for the difference from the Chinese art, China is FAR more strict than us when it comes to games and the like.  Maybe what we got was what they wanted to do originally, but couldn't because of censorship.  Either way, thanks, Robot!
  • Remember that Zoey is not 18 before you ask for sexy skins
  • Axony said:
    Remember that Zoey is not 18 before you ask for sexy skins
    Meh, I didn't think I needed to mention Zoey at all.  I figure Robot knows what lines not to cross. Midnight is seriously in need of more skins, though (nudge, nudge Robot). 
  • Corbor said:
    As for the difference from the Chinese art, China is FAR more strict than us when it comes to games and the like.  Maybe what we got was what they wanted to do originally, but couldn't because of censorship.  Either way, thanks, Robot!
    They made all the art animefied to appeal to there market. 

Also there has been some censors Stinkeyes skull on his post and totems has been removed. 

Also heres Zoey on the Chinese side. 

Getting a bit questionable...

Also I think that it would be better switching the default skin for Yi-Lin
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • Skulls have to be removed from EVERYTHING by law in China.  I think it was because they could be seen as real world religions references or something (I forget exactly what it was, but do recall it was pretty silly)
  • Lorelle said:
    Skulls have to be removed from EVERYTHING by law in China.  I think it was because they could be seen as real world religions references or something (I forget exactly what it was, but do recall it was pretty silly)
    Well it isn't everything the Chinese still have skulls as a currency but they call them bone coins XD

It is to do with elements of the occult.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • Corbor said:
    Teck said:

Personally, I don't mind that they made the art for the ladies sexier.  Heck, I appreciate it.  It's nice to see that Robot hasn't been hit that hard with the PC stick.  Costumes are one of the ways they make money off the game.  A majority of the players are male, so naturally a majority of the females will be made to be attractive (With one very large, yellow exception).  There's a reason Max's beach skin will be given for free after event completion while Ivy's can only be gained from a chest.  I myself am more likely to pay for a sexy skin for one of the ladies.  That being said, I'm probably not gonna spend any gold to get Yin's raincoat haha.

The reason max is given out for free and not whatever there are available is not given out is because max is a beginner hero which makes sense for the free skin to be related to one of the three free heroes that are available and everyone owns.
  • I think my original comment was slightly misconstrued.  I meant that I thought that the chinese art was the version altered to look sexier.  Albeit by a standard that reflects their culture more.  The Zoey art posted above is a perfect example.  I don't believe Bionka was noticeably changed though.  All in all I get that different cultures have different acceptances and expectations so you make was applies for that market.  To be honest I actually like some of the Chinese changes better even.  Smolders Helter Swelter skin artwork for example had a lot of touch ups on the Chinese site.  I liked how the hair flowed more like a flame and there were extra little fire like details amongst the trim of her clothes.  The fireballs in her hands being more impressive was also a nice effect.  Keep in mind I have not PLAYED the Chinese version so I don't know how ANY of this reflects to the actual in game models.
  • Corbor said:
    Teck said:

The reason max is given out for free and not whatever there are available is not given out is because max is a beginner hero which makes sense for the free skin to be related to one of the three free heroes that are available and everyone owns.
    Good point, I didn't think about that.

• Teck said:
    I think my original comment was slightly misconstrued.  I meant that I thought that the chinese art was the version altered to look sexier.  Albeit by a standard that reflects their culture more.  The Zoey art posted above is a perfect example.  I don't believe Bionka was noticeably changed though.  All in all I get that different cultures have different acceptances and expectations so you make was applies for that market.  To be honest I actually like some of the Chinese changes better even.  Smolders Helter Swelter skin artwork for example had a lot of touch ups on the Chinese site.  I liked how the hair flowed more like a flame and there were extra little fire like details amongst the trim of her clothes.  The fireballs in her hands being more impressive was also a nice effect.  Keep in mind I have not PLAYED the Chinese version so I don't know how ANY of this reflects to the actual in game models.
    Wow, yep, I totally misunderstood what you said, haha my bad .
  • I thought the same thing when I saw the skins for the first time. Generally I'm not a fan of the look when you mix her two main colors, but I realize that it's part of the "Chinese aesthetic" to have her main color (blue) be accented by some (jade?) green and gold. Since the implementation of a "Chinese" style character was probably encouraged, as a way to increase appeal in the Chinese market, by Robots' cooperation with Tencent I wonder if her design as a whole is something more under control of them and that any changes in presentation would need their approval. All of this is just speculation, I don't know a lot about the nature of the companies' relationship, it's just that the idea of Tencent having issues with "toning down" the Chinese style of a character in a territory sticks in my mind as a possibility.

I'm fairly new to the game, picked it up with a friend recently after we had played a lot of Orcs Must Die 2 in the past and learned that this game was no longer an odd Moba-like (which, after reading some more about it, I do wish that I'd seen the game while it was still in that state, just out of curiosity). I spent some money getting the Starter Bundle, but haven't much felt like spending any more after that. The size of the 'loot table' in the skin chests section puts me off of from trying to get a skin for a hero I like and the Hero Bundle has long since lost its value with how many Heroes I already own. But then I noticed that each hero seem to have one skin you can actually buy from the Skin part of the store.

What I'm trying to say is that so long as that Order Yi-Lin skin is easily available to just buy through that, I'll be happy. I already have the skulls put away for when she releases :+1:
  • Teck said:
    I think my original comment was slightly misconstrued.  I meant that I thought that the chinese art was the version altered to look sexier.  Albeit by a standard that reflects their culture more.  The Zoey art posted above is a perfect example.  I don't believe Bionka was noticeably changed though.  All in all I get that different cultures have different acceptances and expectations so you make was applies for that market.  To be honest I actually like some of the Chinese changes better even.  Smolders Helter Swelter skin artwork for example had a lot of touch ups on the Chinese site.  I liked how the hair flowed more like a flame and there were extra little fire like details amongst the trim of her clothes.  The fireballs in her hands being more impressive was also a nice effect.  Keep in mind I have not PLAYED the Chinese version so I don't know how ANY of this reflects to the actual in game models.
    Wow, yep, I totally misunderstood what you said, haha my bad.

Corbor said:
    Teck said:

That's a good point, I didn't think about that.
  • GhengisJohnGhengisJohn Member
    edited September 17
    So Yi-Lin is the new upcoming hero. She's from the chinese version of the game, and it shows in her default skin. I can't be the only one who feels like she doesn't really "belong" in OMDU. Granted, she does look like a fun character to play, but in term of art style, she doesn't look like an OMDU character. It almost feels like she comes from another franchise altogether.

After the last patch, for a few days, she wasn't set as "Upcoming" in the game, and we could see her alt skins; her 2nd skin in particular is much better than the first one, I think; it portrays her as an order mage, and make her look much more like an OMDU character, when her default skin looks like an alt skin. It's like if Ivy's default skin was the Grovewatch one (Bikini skin), it would feel weird.

So I know it's probably already decided, but has Robot considered making her alt skin the default one? I think it would look better for the game, since a character so wildly different style-wise makes its art direction look quite inconsistent. I for one would much prefer playing her as an asian-inspired order mage. What do you think? :)

Donnerstag I feel the exact same way you do about this, her second skin is far more in keeping with the visual identity of the game.