A Look into the Future of OMDU!

HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
Hello War Mages!

It's been a while since my last update, so I thought I'd give everyone a heads-up on the latest happenings and plans for Orcs Must Die! Unchained over the next few months. 

The biggest OMDU news of the summer was the release on Playstation 4 in July following the launch on PC earlier this Spring. The PS4 launch has gone really well, and we've gotten some fantastic feedback from our new friends to help guide our future plans for the game. With Tundra’s recent addition to the hero roster on PS4, all the current OMDU heroes are now available for both platforms. Expect to see the Chaos Trials game mode coming to PS4 very soon! We're also working on better team communication systems and many other features and enhancements based on your feedback and recommendations. 

On the PC side of the world, we've been focusing on tons of smaller, long-requested improvements that have hopefully made a big difference in your playing experience. Things like fast restarts, rerolling Chaos Trials, and some fundamental changes to how players interact with their Daily Quests have rolled out recently and there are more changes like this to come. Plus, we've managed to sneak in a few biggies like Deadeye, four new Endless maps, and the Endless Summer event on all platforms. We’ve even added some fun vanity rewards to achievements in-game!

One area that we'd really like to improve on is synchronizing our PC and PS4 releases. As it stands now, our Playstation release is usually 3-4 weeks behind the release of the PC version of the game. Having the releases out of alignment in this way is painful for development (which is our problem), but more importantly, it hurts the long-term growth of the game. To address this, we’re going to bring the PS4 version of the game up to be concurrent with PC and ensure that all our future releases are coming for both groups at the same time. By lining up the release schedule we can spend more time adding new features and less time managing the ins-and-outs of staggered releases. 

There is some short-term pain to get the PC and PS4 updates synchronized, however. In order to achieve this, we'll need to break our regular monthly update cycle for September and there will not be another update for the PC until October. The extra wait is not ideal, but the end result will be our largest OMDU update yet, and it will be available to both platforms at the same time. Harmonia will dig into the details soon, but expect to see some of the great new content you've been asking for, some new features, a new community event, and perhaps even a certain “coming soon” hero! Oh, and PC players, we'll finally get our long-promised Discord integration into the October release.

That's all for now. We've got some really fun plans for the rest of the year, and we're looking forward to sharing them with you soon, too. Keep the feedback coming!

Chris Rippy
VP of Production

====

Join Harmonia today to discuss this and more on today's Insider Access! Live at 3 pm on OrcsMustDie.tv. If you can't make the live stream, or missed it and your question wasn't answered please add it to this thread!
Robot Entertainment | Community Manager

Comments

• looking good, and like always keep up the good work  :p
  • Really looking forward to Chaos Trials coming to PS4 soon, then.
    The Guckman always Gucks in the end.
  • I can understand why you want both platforms to be up to date together, but It is kind of sad that PC will have to wait for a bit. I do hope the wait will be worth it for PC players. Especially the ones that have cleared all the "new content" already and waiting for something new to pop up.
  • The news sounds good! As you mentioned, the synchronization of the PC and PS4 versions of the game will be better for the overall health of the game and I personally don't mind the wait. I look forward to finding out what's in store for the future. 
  • Yep, looking forward to it as well. I just hope that the optimization on the PS4 will be even sooner. ^_^
  • Hello! I have a huge problem. This is my favorite game right now but when I play this on my ps4 it keeps freezing after every match so I don't get my rewards and have to restart my ps4. What should I do?
  • Are you guys going to enable to play with others from the other system (playstation and computer players in the same game)? You mention hurting long term growth (making pc players wait is hurting us(maybe just me)). Having cross platform play could be helpful for long term growth.
  • Varthftw said:
    Are you guys going to enable to play with others from the other system (playstation and computer players in the same game)? You mention hurting long term growth (making pc players wait is hurting us(maybe just me)). Having cross platform play could be helpful for long term growth.
    The answer is nope.

It would be fantastic but sony in the past have refused working with other platforms (see minecraft). So it could either be sony, technical problems or they haven't gotten round to discussing it.
  • Well. As long as we get something worth waiting for. The one month wait is fine!
  • Varthftw said:
    Are you guys going to enable to play with others from the other system (playstation and computer players in the same game)? You mention hurting long term growth (making pc players wait is hurting us(maybe just me)). Having cross platform play could be helpful for long term growth.
    The answer is nope.

It would be fantastic but sony in the past have refused working with other platforms (see minecraft). So it could either be sony, technical problems or they haven't gotten round to discussing it.
    AFAIK, the lack of minecraft crossplatform play has more to do with Microsoft owning Minecraft and mandating integration with Xbox Live in order to facilitate it.

Crossplatform play would be pretty cool, a reason for my gaming buddies' PS4s to stop collecting dust ;)
  • Ps4 and PC crossplay its actually possible if you look at FF14. FF14 had PS3 ( dropped after the last expansion) , PS4 , Mac and PC(Steam and non-steam version) Crossplay.
  • I still have a huge problem with the game freezing on my ps4. I have tried everything. Don't understand, just me this is happening to??
  • AxonyAxony Member
    Crossplay is possible but normally not intended.
    Fortnite can even put Xbox PS4 and PC in a group on one Server (not officially crossplay because this was not intended)

The problem here is that to enable crossplay you will need a new server that allows connection to both existing ones.
    And where is the problem there? it costs money!
  • ZypheXZypheX Member
    so October is here and we are waiting on the release of yi-lin. when can we expect to get her?
  • End of october possibly around haloween

• unkreativunkreativ Member
    edited October 4
    Ich freue mich schon total auf das Update
  • Yi Lin on PS4 on October 24, guess our next patch on PC is goiing to be on the 25th  
  • sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Yi Lin on PS4 on October 24, guess our next patch on PC is goiing to be on the 25th  
    You are correct. There should be an official announcement for the PC update coming later today.
    German Community Manager
  • AxonyAxony Member
    so what's coming after this?
    we get 2 maps and a new hero and then nothing for months?