What does refire rate mean ?

I think this question has been asked a billion time and I still can't understand it.
What is refire rate ?

My floor spikes have 7 sec "re-fire rate", if I equip it with a double spring (+35% refire rate / +25% cost) how often will it trigger ?

Best Answer

Answers

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Leaving aside all the bad documentation in the dashboard about it.

Re-fire rate is a way of measuring how often something occurs. In this case, how often a trap triggers/activates/attacks.

However, this way of expressing it doesn't make sense for pretty much all the traps, since the traps only trigger when minions are in their area of activation. Except for some like Arcane Bowling Ball and Swinging Mace, which activate in a regular basis regardless if there are minions around or not. For those, the term re-fire rate makes sense.

For the rest of traps not so much.

So for the rest of traps that have the stat of Re-fire rate but don't activate unless minions are nearby, you should interpret it as cooldown. Cooldown being the amount of time the traps need to wait after an activation to be able to activate again. (Worth to note that there is something not consistent in the cooldowns on the dashboard, that is the delay. Most traps have an activation delay, that's the time they take from being triggered by a minion walking in their activation range to when they actually activate.)

All that said, Cooldown is expressed in units of time, like seconds. 10s cooldown means that the trap has to wait 10s after the last activation to be able to be triggered again.

Re-fire rate should be expressed in units of frequency, like 1/seconds or seconds^-1, which is Hz.  A re-fire rate of 1 per second (1/1 Hz), means that the trap would activate every second. A re-fire rate of 0.01 per second (1/100 Hz) would mean that it activates every 100 seconds. 

TL;DR dashboard stats are a mess, re-fire rate "means" cooldown in most of the cases. 

• Leaving aside all the bad documentation in the dashboard about it.

Re-fire rate is a way of measuring how often something occurs. In this case, how often a trap triggers/activates/attacks.

However, this way of expressing it doesn't make sense for pretty much all the traps, since the traps only trigger when minions are in their area of activation. Except for some like Arcane Bowling Ball and Swinging Mace, which activate in a regular basis regardless if there are minions around or not. For those, the term re-fire rate makes sense.

For the rest of traps not so much.

So for the rest of traps that have the stat of Re-fire rate but don't activate unless minions are nearby, you should interpret it as cooldown. Cooldown being the amount of time the traps need to wait after an activation to be able to activate again. (Worth to note that there is something not consistent in the cooldowns on the dashboard, that is the delay. Most traps have an activation delay, that's the time they take from being triggered by a minion walking in their activation range to when they actually activate.)

All that said, Cooldown is expressed in units of time, like seconds. 10s cooldown means that the trap has to wait 10s after the last activation to be able to be triggered again.

Re-fire rate should be expressed in units of frequency, like 1/seconds or seconds^-1, which is Hz.  A re-fire rate of 1 per second (1/1 Hz), means that the trap would activate every second. A re-fire rate of 0.01 per second (1/100 Hz) would mean that it activates every 100 seconds. 

TL;DR dashboard stats are a mess, re-fire rate "means" cooldown in most of the cases. 

So... If my 7 sec cooldown floor spike has a minion on it at all time and I equipped it with the double spring, it wouldn't be 7 seconds but how long then ?

And why do some traps have more than "+100% refire rate" or something ?
  • +35% means the re-fire rate of your trap will occur again 35% faster after a first trigger.

For floor spikes by example, with a double spring, the new cooldown will be  7 sec / (1 + 35/100) = 5.19 sec.

If you have a trap with +100% re-fire rate, it will just happens twice more, cooldown is /2.
  • Yes, the most problematic calculation is on Boom Barrel Roller for me.

Its cooldown is 8sec but you can use 2 coils, don't know if twice the same works additive or multiplicative or don't work at all.

Its cooldown is 8sec but you can use 2 coils, don't know if twice the same works additive or multiplicative or don't work at all.
    The game should just display values after upgrades & parts...
    Yes, the same part twice in a trap does stack.

I'd say it's multiplicative like many things in the game, but very hard to tell for sure.

There was a thread recently where I and several others mentioned that there should be better in game documentation with the traps' parts in which we did see a blue post response.  At the very least we know that the devs are aware that there is some fan desire for better displays on these things.
    Teck said:
    Yes, the most problematic calculation is on Boom Barrel Roller for me.

There was a thread recently where I and several others mentioned that there should be better in game documentation with the traps' parts in which we did see a blue post response.  At the very least we know that the devs are aware that there is some fan desire for better displays on these things.
    This is no new thing though. This has been asked by several regular players for more than 2 years now :pensive:
  • Teck said:
    Yes, the most problematic calculation is on Boom Barrel Roller for me.

Now we can only hope for changes
  • sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hey everybody. I'm just popping by to let you know that we are indeed aware of your wishes in this regard and so is the team. They have been looking at ways to implement an improved "visibility" of things like trap stats, guardian attributes and the like but it's quite complicated and a lot harder than it might seem at first.
    German Community Manager