Question about account levels and trap tiers

Each map has a recommended range of account levels, yet account levels do not directly affect in-game performance.  The primary mechanism is trap upgrades and parts.  So I figure there must be some sort of official consensus of what tier traps a player with a particular account level should have.  Yet because skulls can be obtained and spent in ways that do not involve experience or traps (microtransactions and hero purchases in particular), it's impossible to expect all players to progress at an even pace.

My account level is currently 38, meaning I will soon unlock rift lord difficulty.  Yet I find most master maps to be a serious challenge, and some are outright impossible despite my level falling into the recommended range.  Most of my traps are tier 2-3, with a few at tier 4.  The limiting factor to upgrading them is mostly skulls; I have enough cards to upgrade the majority of traps by at least one tier, but I lack the skulls.  I only have a few parts slotted because I haven't received very many of them from chests.

So the question is, what is likely to be the source of my troubles on master difficulty?  Are my traps too low tier?  Should I grind for more parts to specialize them?  Or am I making poor strategic choices and not getting the most out of the resources I do have?  I wouldn't want to bang my head against the wall trying to beat a map I'm obviously underequipped for, but on the other hand I don't want to grind upgrades in an attempt to win by brute force either if better strategies exist.

Comments

• Account levels give you more damage and health.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • SemiFantasticSemiFantastic Member
    edited October 9
    Account levels do improve your hero's damage and health. 

I suggest you just acquire all chests from app and warmage if you haven't yet, from the Star chests to Hero victory chest. Early on, you need to focus on your traps, and only use the skulls on upgrading the traps you use the most as well as the more good traps like grinder and haymaker and tar. Don't bother wasting your skulls on buff traps, traps that require you to activate yourself etc. traps you barely use and deals. But also use skulls to buy heroes, cheap heroes first. That way you can acquire more chests. A good hero for solo runs is midnight. Her damage can easily help you get 5* on anymap. Assuming you're on a good level for it.

If you are having problems trying to 5 star a map, just remember: You can kill too. But if you still have problems on a certain map, just wait till you get to a higher level. Hero damage is no joke when going solo. at lvl 60-70 you can practically solo every master map since your hero does a lot of damage. 
  • BartanBartan Member
    I'm pretty sure everyone went through the same thing, Databeaver. So you're far from alone. You do unlock Rift Lord rather early, but don't view the level requirement as "You should be able to 5 Star this at the max level range". Same goes with traps, which is a more luck-of-the-draw thing. I remember being in my early thirties and having enough able to max out on Flip Traps to T7, making it rather frustrating to keep getting cards for a trap I used maybe 0.03% of the time.

The Trap Tiers help, but the traps/strategies themselves are what really define success within the levels. I personally went with a mix of buying both Heroes and trap levels with skulls (for the most part) in order to gain more skulls. Be it via Stars or just First-Time chests. With that, you will get some more experience depending on how much you replay the levels. Aside from that, it really depends on the zone and how you're placing your traps.

But overall, I don't think you're doing anything out of the ordinary. Having your most used traps at T4 sounds about normal, but don't expect that everything should be that rank. Focus on what you use the most, get them to about 5, and go from there. T6 and T7 traps are nice, but they are expensive (I believe 1600 and 2500 skulls per upgrade), so only get those when you feel you can afford them. Though, it is advised to attempt to get your Barricades up there if you have some double struts lying around. However, My experience overall was very much like yours. Struggle and all. Since that's the case: watch out for Highlands on RL, and prepare yourself for the horrors that are Elementals.
    Power Is Not The Same As Strength
  • Thanks for the support.  I honestly didn't know about account level having an effect on stats.  How much is it approximately?  Does it affect traps too or just the hero?

I have almost all chests from apprentice, only missing a few hero victories with Ivy (my latest hero purchase).  On war mage I'm still missing some 5-star chests and one or two 3-star chests as well as half or more of the hero victories.  I should be able to get a bunch more chests from master as well by honing my strategies.

I'm not sure if I could beat any map past apprentice without killing things myself.  Really, heroes seem absurdly powerful compared to traps; on early waves it's often possible to handle a gate entirely with hero damage, especially with someone like Max or Blackpaw (I don't have Midnight yet so can't speak of her power).  Meanwhile spending the full starting budget on traps will usually let more than half of the minions through.  In tough maps it seems to be as much about choosing the hero as building the killboxes.  Ivy in particular seems ineffective when things go south.

I in fact obtained not one but two double struts cards yesterday, but it'll take a while until I can install them.  My barricades are currently tier 4 and though I have enough cards for the tier 5 upgrade, tier 7 with its frame slot is still a long way off.  It looks like I'm about halfway cards-wise.
  • at level 100 the HP of your hero is goiing to about 2x times and damage about 4x
    it does affect just the hero

all maps can easily be done in the recommended level range, the higher the tier of your traps the better, make a choice and stick with those traps :), until you get them to T7

Good luck
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    edited October 9
    TimeMaster said:
    We tested this and came to this conclusion:

2,5% HP per battle level (from base)
    ~0,8% HP per account lvl (Multiplicative, from previous level) 
    11% damage per battle level (from base)
    1,4% damage per account lvl (Multiplicative, from previous level)

https://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/comment/56903/#Comment_56903
  • BartanBartan Member
    Thanks for the support.  I honestly didn't know about account level having an effect on stats.  How much is it approximately?  Does it affect traps too or just the hero?

I have almost all chests from apprentice, only missing a few hero victories with Ivy (my latest hero purchase).  On war mage I'm still missing some 5-star chests and one or two 3-star chests as well as half or more of the hero victories.  I should be able to get a bunch more chests from master as well by honing my strategies.

I'm not sure if I could beat any map past apprentice without killing things myself.  Really, heroes seem absurdly powerful compared to traps; on early waves it's often possible to handle a gate entirely with hero damage, especially with someone like Max or Blackpaw (I don't have Midnight yet so can't speak of her power).  Meanwhile spending the full starting budget on traps will usually let more than half of the minions through.  In tough maps it seems to be as much about choosing the hero as building the killboxes.  Ivy in particular seems ineffective when things go south.

I in fact obtained not one but two double struts cards yesterday, but it'll take a while until I can install them.  My barricades are currently tier 4 and though I have enough cards for the tier 5 upgrade, tier 7 with its frame slot is still a long way off.  It looks like I'm about halfway cards-wise.

Heroes do really seem to take the spotlight, but traps are almost designed to synergise with one another. Damage is a bit of a double-edged sword: whereas the more of it you deal to minions, the less coin you'll be able to get out of them. On apprentice, I never really felt this sting because you do get quite a bit of coin, and don't need as much traps to take out the wave. But later on in the game, look for ways to make combos. Find out where to place your barricades where paths will be most effective, and try to mix everything with your hero's abilities. Nearly every type of new "Hit" is a combo point, though status effects like Burning won't stack with another of it's kind.

Yes, the Frame slot is a little too far away to be very useful, imo. It's great to have, but I found almost everyone got the Double Struts rather early on in the game. I actually think it was my first part piece, and well... That was a bit disappointing. Considering I was around level 50 or so before I even got the chance to use it. I personally think the frame slot should be a T5, switching places with the Component slot. That way it tends to get more use when it's health is drastically more needed.

Look into Midnight when you can afford her, you won't be disappointed. The only "Bad" thing about her really is the lack of combo points she can add to your killbox. From the stuns to her DoT, they Should be adding combos, but they haven't been (Credit goes to VermillionPhoenix on this one. Not sure where he found this out). Oh, one last bit of advice: don't be afraid to look into other people on levels you're having a tough time on. Vermillion has a lot of videos up to show you some new outlooks, and so does CremoAcanthis (Seriously, this guy does not get enough credit for what he does).

"The Greats Weren't Great Because At Birth They Could Paint. The Greats Were Great Because They Paint A Lot."
    ~Benjamin Hammond Haggerty
    Power Is Not The Same As Strength