Any fellow PS4 players think the Yi-Lin pack is BS?

Cause I sure do. The PC players got her right off the bat with the update. Paying with skulls and gold like normal. Meanwhile, On the PS4 we have to buy her in the Yi-Lin pack for $6, $5.24 if you're a Ps plus member, or wait another week for her to be released. Its even more bullshit to because of the fact that the devs made no mention of this at all. Only ever saying anything after the update had gone live. I can't be the only PS4 player who sees this as blatant bullshit and quite unfair. Seems like they tried to sugar coat it with the stupid looking rain coat costume for Yi-Lin that comes with the Yi-Lin pack as well. I'm just glad they didn't do the same to the new awesome maps and faction.

Comments

• sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hey there. I understand your frustration and your feedback has been noted and passed along to the team. However, please refrain from creating multiple discussions with almost the same exact content. Given that your first discussion about this posed a question to PC players rather than just stating your discontent, I will leave both threads open for now. Please stick to the avilable discussions about this topic if you want to add anything else. 
    German Community Manager
  • OnusOnus Member
    sashimiak said:
    Hey there. I understand your frustration and your feedback has been noted and passed along to the team. However, please refrain from creating multiple discussions with almost the same exact content. Given that your first discussion about this posed a question to PC players rather than just stating your discontent, I will leave both threads open for now. Please stick to the avilable discussions about this topic if you want to add anything else. 
    Sure.
  •  Get off your high horse Onus, acting like a D bag to Sashimiak ain't gunna get you anywhere.

•  Get off your high horse Onus, acting like a D bag to Sashimiak ain't gunna get you anywhere.

Really? The PS4 version have Blue Screen Issue, 45 mins limitation on Endless maps, non-existent in game communication, much less skins available than PC version. And Guess what, PS4 players need to PAY real life money to get the content PC players have natural access to.
  • edited November 2
    What I said has nothing to do with the game Ken. 

It has something to do with in regards to "Respect."

Sashimiak always helpful to the people on the forums. You best believe I will call him out.
  • I don't see him being "disrespectful" to sashimiak since he stated his opinion without addressing anyone. Maybe you're a little too sensitive?
    Anyway, the choice to make Yi-Lin avail. via PSN Store on PS4 and Skulls/Gold on PC is questionable but might have to do something with the contracts with Sony and Steam. 
  • I honestly don't mind that they release a new character as a purchase only option for a week in the Playstation store.  I don't understand the logic for releasing the same character for skulls/gold on PC though.  What message are you trying to tell us PS4 players?  lol.

• HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Yi-Lin will be available next week with skulls and gold on the PS4. If you want to purchase her now, she's available in the Yi-Lin pack with a PS4 exclusive skin, or you can wait until next Tuesday and purchase her with skulls or gold. This special pack is exclusive to Playstation and not available through Steam. Hope that clears up any confusion, but please remember to keep discussions civil. There's no need to attack one another.
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • HieroGlyphHieroGlyph Member
    edited November 2
    Harmonia said:
    Yi-Lin will be available next week with skulls and gold on the PS4. If you want to purchase her now, she's available in the Yi-Lin pack with a PS4 exclusive skin, or you can wait until next Tuesday and purchase her with skulls or gold. This special pack is exclusive to Playstation and not available through Steam. Hope that clears up any confusion, but please remember to keep discussions civil. There's no need to attack one another.
    The issue is that this one-week bundle wasn't disclosed prior to the patch going live and makes it seem like a cash grab for PS4 players.

Personally, I don't mind waiting a week but all of your previous announcements made it seem like PS4 would get the character one day before PC and a required bundle was never mentioned. If this information is mistaken please provide the source, otherwise it seems like the devs were purposely withholding this information which makes it appear more devious and deceitful than disclosing it with the press release would have been.
  • RaNdOmKiLs666RaNdOmKiLs666 Member
    edited November 3
    Please don't do this again with any future heroes on PS4. Just let us get new heroes upon release with gold or skulls, like PC players can. This is probably the only problem i have with this update and everything else is good so far.
  • Onus said:
    Cause I sure do. The PC players got her right off the bat with the update. Paying with skulls and gold like normal. Meanwhile, On the PS4 we have to buy her in the Yi-Lin pack for $6, $5.24 if you're a Ps plus member, or wait another week for her to be released. Its even more bullshit to because of the fact that the devs made no mention of this at all. Only ever saying anything after the update had gone live. I can't be the only PS4 player who sees this as blatant bullshit and quite unfair. Seems like they tried to sugar coat it with the stupid looking rain coat costume for Yi-Lin that comes with the Yi-Lin pack as well. I'm just glad they didn't do the same to the new awesome maps and faction.

Fellow PlayStation 4 player here. The only thing I find disturbing about this is the possibility it will lead into a slippery slope.

I've been a gamer long enough to have seen small almost insignificant rmt (in other games) start to snowball into full blown crash grabs. What starts at $5.00 today will become $10.00 or $19.99 a couple months from now.

The omd team seems to be a group of really cool folks and don't seem like the kind that would purposely rip their players off but that's just the team we see in youtube videos and such. The team that makes the financial decisions could be complete opposites for all we know.  
  • SipfeSipfe Member
    edited November 3
    Fcseven said:

The omd team seems to be a group of really cool folks and don't seem like the kind that would purposely rip their players off but that's just the team we see in youtube videos and such. The team that makes the financial decisions could be complete opposites for all we know.  
     I don't know about you, but having a random loot box system with 36 possible outcomes, doesn't really scream "consumer-friendly". I don't really care for skins or dyes, but there are actually some that i'd really like to have. Right now i'm sitting on 6600(?) gold or so, but i won't ever buy a skin lootbox with it, considering there is a, let's say, 5/6 chance i get something i don't want. I'd much rather pay for the skins in the shop a little bit more, than get a dye for some hero i don't even use. The thing is, i really like this game, but right now there is no way, i can support it other than putting huge amounts of money in lootboxes that give me random skins. 
    Post edited by Sipfe on
  • Let's recap a bit there.
    (Sorry for any inconsistencies, I don't remember every release and update that well, it's been a long time. Though I've been playing the game since early-alpha. Please feel free to point anything I got wrong.)

OMD1 and OMD2 were single-purchase games, that after a while became very cheap. Hell, I've seen them both for sale on Steam for $2. The fact that two of my favorite games of all time can be purchased for such a low amount of money blows my mind. OMD2 had DLCs, but they were in my opinion a great exemple of fair and well-implemented additionnal content.

OMDU alpha: OMD is now a F2P game, which a lot of people didn't like (me included) but made sense: after all, its main mode, Siege, was multiplayer-only and was a blend of tower defense and MOBA. The game was funded on microtransaction, mostly offering new heroes, skins and packs which were pretty attractive money-wise.

OMDU beta (post-Siege): Siege is dead! OMDU comes back to its root: a mostly single-player game with a party-based multiplayer component. Party size is reduced to three (from 5). At this time, the F2P model makes much less sense, but is still there because, basically, it's too late to back down. The game introduces a fully random loot system, random lootboxes containing loot, skins and dyes. Dyes and skins that were unlockable by playing a specific hero past a given threshold are gone. Some exclusive skins become unobtainable (while still being visible in-game to this day). Some packs are still sometimes made available, but quickly disappear.

OMDU official launch: OMDU moves out of beta and introduces a new player VS player mode: Sabotage. The loot system introduces daily deals and a the gib store to reduce some of the randomness, but remains very random. A Hero pack is introduced, containing all currently available hero, for the price of a full game (30$); the rest of the game is still locked behind lootboxes.

Subsequent updates: New content takes a long time to come, with some urgent bugfixes and much awaited features sometimes taking months to be released. All the while new skins are added very regularly, all of which can only be redeemed through random lootboxes. Some very good features are added, like Chaos Trials or community events. New characters are rare and far between. New heroes aren't added to the Hero Pack, which in result doesn't contain all heroes, but remain the same price. With each new hero, the main skin/dye lootbox becomes more random, as more content is added to it.
    Some new guardians are introduced; no new traps; no new gear; no new traits. Some gears and traits are still useless and very much remains of the Siege days, with some traits in particular being completely useless outside of this now long-dead mode.

PS4 launch: OMDU is now released on PS4. The launch can't be described as "smooth", really. Patches feel even more slow to come, as the team is busy fixing issues on the PS4 version of the game, and bringing it up to speed with the PC version which contains several patch worth of content that the PS4 version still doesn't have. In order to bring the two versions closer together, a delay is introduced for patch 2.5, which for the first time should be launched on both platforms simultaneously.

Update 2.5 (Wu Xing Battles): First ever patch that really feels like and expansion (with reskined game launcher and logos put everywhere, and a clear Chinese theme). A new hero is introduced, that is available as usual on PC, but must be bought in a pack for real money on PS4 for a week. The pack also contains a skin that is exclusive to PS4. This fact was never announced prior to launch (which was delayed by a week). More skins are released, but as usual, are all locked behind random gold-only lootboxes.

As a result, I ask this question: through its now long history, has OMDU become more consummer-friendly? Or has it already reached this "slippery slope" a long time ago? As for me, I'm not really happy about the current state of the game's economy, but I've been very vocal about it already, as many other players have been. Feel free to defend the game, but unless you're working for Robot, you're actively acting against your own self-interest. If companies are free to do so, why shouldn't we be too? I care about the game, a lot actually, which is why I spend so much time writing these kinds of posts and criticizing what I feel needs to be criticized. I don't think the game being Free to Play (which, please note, isn't the same as being "free") doesn't put anyone above criticism.

Also, I must state that despite all this outcry, all the threads and discussions along the years, the monetization of the game has never changed, at all. Not once has a lootbox-only skin been made available for purchase in the skin store. Not once have prices been changed, even for the most outrageously priced items (like the regular chests). If anything, it's gotten worse, with lootboxes becoming even more random, the Battle Pass becoming much more expensive, and packs simply not being made anymore (except this new Yi-Lin pack, but it's not a pack as much as a temporary exclusive for those willing to pay more).

So yes, given all of that, I don't think it's crazy to be critical of this new "temporary exclusive". It's not consumer-friendly, so why should we, as consumers, defend it?

Sorry for the rant, but I care about the game. It's okay if you don't, but please don't try to shame those who do.
  • Okay thanks for the run down.

But it was slightly different over on the Gameforge EU side before the change of servers.

On the EU side we had no daily bonuses with gold. Skins and Chests costed weird amounts gold comparing the EU with NA before the change of servers some things were twice the price and some half the price.

So in my opinion the game became much more consumer friendly when we did switch.

This new thing with PS4 Yi Lin should have really been announced beforehand. Also it should have been availiable to buy with gold rather than with real money since what is the point of having a premium currency and not use it. Also the PC and PS4 should have the same fate buy it early with an exclusive skin for a lot of gold (say 5000) then a week later get released for gold and skulls.
  • The game also needs better communication system for ps4
  • In response to the OP, no. I do not think the fact we are given the chance to purchase w real $ is BS. 

I have been playing OMD!U for just over 2 months now and have been enjoying it greatly. I have paid nothing for it. Completely free.
    I have encouraged a handful of my friends to play on PS4 with me so we could have fun playing together.

Your thread is basically asking (in a very rude fashion); could the folks at Robot not have given us the ability to use skulls/coins to buy her right away? Sure, they could have. 

Let me ask a few questions myself though;

Do the folks at Robot deserve to get paid for their work? Yes, they do.

Could the folks at Robot just not have let you ever get Yi-Lin w skulls/coins thus forcing you to get her with money? Certainly, they could (but they didn't)

With the amount of new maps and skins and character, could the folks at Robot just have made this an entirely new expansion and made players pay to play the maps and everything? Yeah, that could've happened too (but, again, they did not)

Supporting games like OMD!U is critical to their development and success. If packing a lunch instead of eating out a couple times this week means the game gets a bit of a boost, I'm for it.

Maybe that's just me though.
  • OnusOnus Member
     Get off your high horse Onus, acting like a D bag to Sashimiak ain't gunna get you anywhere.

Apparently, Saying " sure " to a request makes you a D-dag.  Sorry, You completely took it the wrong way.
  • OnusOnus Member
    WithaZ said:
    In response to the OP, no. I do not think the fact we are given the chance to purchase w real $ is BS. 

I have been playing OMD!U for just over 2 months now and have been enjoying it greatly. I have paid nothing for it. Completely free.
    I have encouraged a handful of my friends to play on PS4 with me so we could have fun playing together.

Your thread is basically asking (in a very rude fashion); could the folks at Robot not have given us the ability to use skulls/coins to buy her right away? Sure, they could have. 

Let me ask a few questions myself though;

Do the folks at Robot deserve to get paid for their work? Yes, they do.

Could the folks at Robot just not have let you ever get Yi-Lin w skulls/coins thus forcing you to get her with money? Certainly, they could (but they didn't)

With the amount of new maps and skins and character, could the folks at Robot just have made this an entirely new expansion and made players pay to play the maps and everything? Yeah, that could've happened too (but, again, they did not)

Supporting games like OMD!U is critical to their development and success. If packing a lunch instead of eating out a couple times this week means the game gets a bit of a boost, I'm for it.

Maybe that's just me though.
    I am completely dumfounded at how much you've straw maned my argument and completely ignored the issue. Most of what you've said has completely nothing to do with what I'm trying to convey to everyone. No matter how much you try to sugar coat this. Still doesn't take away from the fact that it's bullshit.  

If a store makes one half of the store pay while the other half doesn't. Alwhile not bringing this sudden change to light to anyone until the very last second. Is it make it ok in your book? Just a metaphor, Of course.

Anyway, I'm done with this BS. Sugar coat it to the best of your ability, Bitch and moan all I like. Nothing really going to be done anyway. I really love this game. Just hope this unfair orc doesn't become the norm for PS4. My fellow orc killers just keep this game alive, Make it grand. I'm done here. Bye.
  • OnusOnus Member
    Harmonia said:
    The issue is that this one-week bundle wasn't disclosed prior to the patch going live and makes it seem like a cash grab for PS4 players.

Personally, I don't mind waiting a week but all of your previous announcements made it seem like PS4 would get the character one day before PC and a required bundle was never mentioned. If this information is mistaken please provide the source, otherwise it seems like the devs were purposely withholding this information which makes it appear more devious and deceitful than disclosing it with the press release would have been.
    Exactly.
  • LorelleLorelle Member
    edited November 4
    What I find sad is that the raincoat costume became PS4 exclusive instead of being put into that huge costume box, and instead the Order costume was put in the costume box and PC (AND PS4) owners were left with no direct-purchase skin for Yi-Lin.

Which really doesn't fit in with all the rest of the costumes.  That huge costume box has always been for funny costumes that didn't make sense in the lore while the direct purchase costume tended to be a bit more lore-friendly, but now perhaps thanks in part to this bundle idea, we are left with the lore-friendly costume being in the random box and no "funny" costume or ANY costume at all for direct purchase.

And the Order costume definately was intended to be a lore-friendly costume.  They even talked about it as such and its plot relevance in the Insider video!

If anything, I think that's the true "BS" of the situation.  As random boxes are like, the opposite of lore and completely break immersion, putting the lore costume in the random box when all the lore costumes were a direct purchase apparently just so they could have this raincoat as a PS4 exclusive feels like a slap in the face to those who like the story and background behind the game.

Or is it multi-BS?  Because both PS4 and PC owners and lore-lovers and forum-posters who were specifically asked for feedback on Yi-Lin's costume when they brought up how they wished the Order costume was the default (and being put in a random box with 36 other items in it is like, the most opposite of default you can get!) got slapped in the face in different ways from this.

For reference sake, I don't care too much about the Order costume myself but I do love OMD's lore and background, and was considering buying it after it came up for direct purchase.  Oh well, at least now my wallet won't be tempted.