OMDU - RPG Adventure Mode

LightstealLightsteal Member
edited November 21 in Suggestion Box

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQiEMQNH-mcX1hwpzE1RAMgId_QM1BYXLg4AgfW1DgceVlmwEpQxA8YuV-bWRHoWONi1j28H8DHtoAn/pub

OMDU - RPG Adventure

Quest

Up to 3 players may embark on a difficult dungeon with monsters, events and bosses delving into the lore of OMD and going on the offensive against the enemies of the RIFT.

Resources

Trap currency
Trap currency will be earned throughout the dungeon by killing enemies and opening instance chests within the adventure.

Trap Cap
A low or variable trap cap will allow adventurers to place traps to aid them in their quest.

Selling Traps
Traps can be sold at any time, but no currency will be refunded.  It is also recommended to implement a “sell oldest trap” command, in case a trap near the start of the level was forgotten.

Encounters

Patrols
Within the dungeon, patrols of enemies may block a path and attack the players if they get too close.

Events
At certain points in the adventure, an event may occur spawning enemies to fight in waves while attempting to complete a puzzle, task or defend an objective.

Bosses
At the end of dungeon levels or areas, a multi-phase boss may be encountered.  These bosses should be an extreme challenge with varying mechanics based on their health or attack phase and should generally have an animation indicator prior to using devastating attacks.
Optionally, bosses may spawn adds to heal them, buff them, or attack the player.
Optionally, bosses may banish players from the battle making them have to go through a short solo path to get back into the fight and assist their friends.

Fail State

Periodically re-spawn checkpoints will be unlocked, so that players can recover from death closer to the action.
While an Encounter is active, there may be a long respawn timer or a blocked respawn until the encounter is complete.
If all players are simultaneously dead, the game is considered lost.

Rewards

Successfully completing a quest will reward the player with an Adventure chest for first time completions.
Adventure chests may contain standard traps, parts, gibs, traits, guardians, items, consumables… etc.
Additionally, adventure chests may contain exclusive adventure skins, titles, backgrounds, badges… etc.
Additionally, a new mechanic may be added for Adventure mode, whereby chests will reward the player rewards according to this mechanic.

The new mechanic could include meta-game upgrade trees, special "adventure mode only" items and/or consumables, a set of weapon and armor slots that can only be filled with gear found in adventure mode chests... etc.
In the case of the weapon and armor slots, these could be tiered in order to create a progression state of your RPG game.
Thus, one may need to farm the Tier 1 gear in order to be powerful enough to enter the Tier 2 dungeon and farm Tier 2 gear.
Post edited by Lightsteal on

Comments

• I would probably die of excitement if this was implemented. The possibilities are endless!! 3 Man pve adventure dungeons with specific objectives... Raids... the idea of making your way through a dungeon with only 1 life and having limited resources at your disposal comes to mind. Would really bring a massive new interactive element to the playable heroes and the minions too but how well would this work with current ai? Is it doable?
  • LightstealLightsteal Member
    edited November 21
    I would probably die of excitement if this was implemented. The possibilities are endless!! 3 Man pve adventure dungeons with specific objectives... Raids... the idea of making your way through a dungeon with only 1 life and having limited resources at your disposal comes to mind. Would really bring a massive new interactive element to the playable heroes and the minions too but how well would this work with current ai? Is it doable?
    I think it's doable with the current AI, bosses will need to have some scripting, but mobs (once activated) can chase players that aggro them.
    There will need to be a mechanic, however, so that one cannot just farm xp over tar traps and coin forges during a single encounter.
    Perhaps an OP assassin mercenary will attack you if you take too long to complete an encounter.
    The only way to get the assassin off your back will be to finish the encounter.
  • This sounds absolutely fantastic! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE DEVS PLEASE!
  • KulinaKulina Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hello Lightsteal,

Thank you for your interesting suggestion regarding a RPG Adventure mode, I'll share it with the team. And don't hesitate to discuss this topic further, I'll keep an eye on it ;)

Cheers! 
    French Community Manager
  • Hmm, this mode could be fun?
    If done well
  • It reminds me a bit of The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot game. 
  • Sounds like fun! Sign me up!
  • RoudalfoRoudalfo Member
    edited November 22
    Even though it sounds like a possibly good idea and affordable in terms of scripting and programming there still a few variables that trouble me. First and foremost the the RPG style, orcs must die 1 and 2 had a very simple goal kill orcs and survive as long as you cant, kill faster and better and progress, cause of that both games were very successful now even orcs have changed a bit, OMDU decided to to change the different path they took a while back and return to their roots something that pleased many gamers including me. But here stands a main issue Orcs must die has indeed a lore up to a point but it was never meant to be and RPG there many games that were build in the DUNGEON RAID style one of them which was mentioned above being "the mighty quest for epic loot" you could make your own castle and raid other castles filled with enemies and traps. Now there is also the practical issue currently the team is trying to build more upon the classic build and there are indeed many "end game" players that are bored of the current game but the issue here is that what you are suggesting would take a lot of map creating or revamp of the current maps to work. The only way i cant see it work is going through different maps try to complete puzzles etc. But that also falls relatively close to the CT. Also in the a game that's is all about Defending its gonna take a lot of re balancing to turn it into a game focused on raiding. Also the rewards, i get the new traps and guardians (we all want more good traps to have a bigger variety for playing around) but what about the armor and weapon you mentioned. I need a bit more of clarification on that we already have gear but isn't the whole farming items gonna turn this into a Classic MMO grindefest ?

Please share your opinions with me

• That's an AMAZING IDEA! PLS ADD IT DEVS, THIS GAME WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAN IT ALREADY IS!!!!!
  • well the game in this actual state is pretty empty for me, thought this may be not what the game should be as a tower defens based gameplay.
  • @falco708 I've heard that from a few people, I guess my thought is kinda like seige mode used to be, but just the offensive side, trying to reach the rift with AI bosses and stuff in the way. But brainstorming is awesome, if you have any ideas for different game modes/traps stuff feel free to share! More ideas can only help :D
  • Looks like a whole new game! Pretty cool yet hard to see added to the current game
  • Good idea, I like it
  • Roudalfo said:
    Even though it sounds like a possibly good idea and affordable in terms of scripting and programming there still a few variables that trouble me. First and foremost the the RPG style, orcs must die 1 and 2 had a very simple goal kill orcs and survive as long as you cant, kill faster and better and progress, cause of that both games were very successful now even orcs have changed a bit, OMDU decided to to change the different path they took a while back and return to their roots something that pleased many gamers including me. But here stands a main issue Orcs must die has indeed a lore up to a point but it was never meant to be and RPG there many games that were build in the DUNGEON RAID style one of them which was mentioned above being "the mighty quest for epic loot" you could make your own castle and raid other castles filled with enemies and traps. Now there is also the practical issue currently the team is trying to build more upon the classic build and there are indeed many "end game" players that are bored of the current game but the issue here is that what you are suggesting would take a lot of map creating or revamp of the current maps to work. The only way i cant see it work is going through different maps try to complete puzzles etc. But that also falls relatively close to the CT. Also in the a game that's is all about Defending its gonna take a lot of re balancing to turn it into a game focused on raiding. Also the rewards, i get the new traps and guardians (we all want more good traps to have a bigger variety for playing around) but what about the armor and weapon you mentioned. I need a bit more of clarification on that we already have gear but isn't the whole farming items gonna turn this into a Classic MMO grindefest ?

Please share your opinions with me

Nice reply Roudalfo

I actually remember OMD having a few cutscenes that shed a bit of lore on the game.
    I was thinking the story would be more like the "Trine" series.  But I'm sure the game devs have a fully fleshed out lore in their minds.

So, the item idea was just a possible suggestion, it was more like an example really.
    There are many different mechanics that could be used to track your RPG progress.

But items is a good example.

Obviously the items would be for RPG mode only.

The way Arcade MMO style games work, you need to farm gear from a low level dungeon to have a fighting chance at beating the medium level dungeon (unless you get carried) in turn farming gear from the medium dungeon to farm gear from a Hard dungeon... etc.

I was thinking that the dungeons would be very large, not the standard omdu map size.
    Perhaps the size of 5-8 siege maps in size with an endboss, mid-level boss, optional side paths to farm some coin and a few scripted events or puzzles to break the play in the middle.
  • They could bring back the crogon!
  • I'm having a hard time trying to visualise this idea. So you have multiple maps combined into a few routes?

Also how do you turn defensive gameplay into offensive? Will you need to retreat back to an available trap room?

How is multiple lanes going to work? Is it mainly going to be one lane?

Also one way to get lore is to make a story mode. That link takes to my ideas of how that could work.
    That features a kind of story line that benefits a defensive gameplay.
    I can think up one for offensive gameplay if you want. (I really want this rpg mode to include all the Academy maps as an dungeon while the orcs attack) 
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • @EffingWorms I'm not certain if you are familiar with the old siege mode. It was pure pvp 5v5 where some went on offensive and some defensive. While there were many balancing issues in that mode, the way I understand the mode suggested by Lightsteal is to take the good elements of Siege into a PvE against the elements.
    edited November 23
    @EffingWorms
    Try watching this link from smite, should give you an idea of the map size and scope 
    (3h50m - he switches to easy mode and shows more of the map) 

Btw @EffingWorms
    I really liked your post on the Game lore:
    http://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/13407/omdu-lore-and-story-explained/p1
  • I didn't know that Smite has a game mode like that.

Okay so it is a lot more exploration than I realised. It is probably easier having a few charges on each trap. Which you can use in front of the minions once you encounter them.

Maybe giving the traps cool-downs or making them really cheap because of the low charge count. This will stop players backtracking. 

If you want to make it like Siege, add in Heroes which you aren't using as enemies and bosses. 

It took a while to research and write up. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
    edited November 23

Okay so it is a lot more exploration than I realised. It is probably easier having a few charges on each trap. Which you can use in front of the minions once you encounter them.

Maybe giving the traps cool-downs or making them really cheap because of the low charge count. This will stop players backtracking. 

If you want to make it like Siege, add in Heroes which you aren't using as enemies and bosses. 

The other option is just to remove the trap cap.  

But I was thinking something like a trap cap of 5 while adventuring, then a trap cap of 10 at the boss.
    And then at some events, they can give you a trap cap of ~(50 +/- 25), where you need to defend an objective from being killed;
    or survive a hoard of enemies that come attack you while trying to solve a puzzle
    or while trying to outrun a hoard of running ogres and k. pups, platforming across lava, placing traps behind you and shooting off skills trying to get to evacuate through a rift or, on another level, break through a swarm of enemies trying to get to a rift that will take you to a boss.  (speed pads will help).
    Maybe while trying to do an escape run, there would be boxes you would run by, and you'd know there were some baby crogons in them.
    You could shoot the boxes and damage the crogon before they have a chance to break out with some AoE skills.
    Or a section where you don't need traps, because you need to navigate yourself through hallways of traps where if you get too close there are BGHs, and other antihero traps.  Maybe even a spike wall to throw you into a pit.
    ... etc.

And at every new section of the map, the trap cap can reset so you don't have to worry about picking up your traps.