Ways to Reduce Que Time

Hey, There are a bunch of posts that might have one or 2 ideas in them but I thought it might be easier to consolidate into one thread. This is mainly aimed at Sabotage players, although some of the suggested changes would positively effect Que time for survival and weeklys as well.

1.) Merge Servers
I think this is really essential to the long term subsistence of OMDU. Long Que times is regularly quoted as being why people are not playing - they don't want to wait for a game. Merging the servers would a) reduce wait times and b) provide more balanced matches as there will be a larger pool to match-make from.

2. Sabotage - Accept with no rank
While I don't personally see a problem with playing with low levels as I see it as a way to build the community and potentially gain huge rewards for very little risk, many players express that they do not want to risk rank by playing with a low level random. Feedback on this suggestion would be very helpful - if you are qued solo and got match-made in a 3v3 would you be more likely to play if you could choose to gain or lose no rank from the match? I think it would probably have to be chose this on the "Game Ready!" screen to reduce possibility of cheating.
 - biggest concern would be if team tries to plant "4th player" on opposing team but if someone wants to cheat this way they can also just use alt account so not sure if this would increase this issue. Also havent seen this behavior often so hopefully this option would not cause said behavior to increase.

3. More Help In Understanding Sabotage
Things can be adjusted to make people new to sabotage be able to pick up the game faster. Eg. Many people don't know to look for immolation staff and lose cades.
- Add potential rift points for each summon minion consumable.
- Tutorial for Sabotage like Siege used to have.
- Match made Sabotage games so experienced players can teach new players without risk to rank.

4. Allow Allies to Sell Traps as Default
I like that you can prevent people from selling traps for cases with trolls, but I remember back when I started playing I didn't know my traps weren't sellable. I assumed since I could sell their traps that they could sell mine.
- Trap sell by default would make it easier for all new players to coordinate
- Ability to turn off would prevent trolling
- Add info about trap selling to tutorial or hero ability info at beginning of match.

5. More Obvious that Both Gates are Open
I have seen many new players be confused by the switching door colours in sabo.
- Depending on account level doors open in different order
- Yellow gates are often ignored by new players as they don't realize summoned minions still come through
- On some maps summoned minion doors show up as black when should be yellow
Solution: Sabotage tutorial would help with this. Or maybe make open gates flash on mini map if open (draws attention). New message for announcer to say something about both gates being open?

I'm sure as a community we can come up with more ideas, this is just a start - feel free to add!

Comments

• KulinaKulina Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hi ElaMonster,

Thank you for starting this thread regarding ways to reduce queue time! Don't hesitate to discuss this topic further and to add new ideas, I will share it with the team ;)

Cheers!
    French Community Manager
  • I really enjoy sabotage and the long queue times are a real pain.  With respect to the 5 points listed above:

#1 - Yes, please! If the concern for not doing this is the potential for poor internet connectivity/lag to make for a poor game experience, then please give us players a choice!  How about an option that lets us choose to either queue on our "home" server, or across all available servers?  FWIW, I (USA) frequently play while grouped with a friend in Italy and South America.  Not sure what server we play on, but lag is manageable 99% of the time.

#2 - I would love to be able to solo queue with randoms for games that don't affect my leaderboard rank.  As it stands, there aren't enough people playing at my rank for me to be queued up with veteran players.  When I solo queue, I always get players with gray and red traps and they invariably don't know how to anticipate or react to bomb spells or much of anything else for that matter.  Some things I can compensate for, but some issues are just insurmountable.  If there were an option to play unranked, I'd play solo queue and try to help new players.

#3 - No opinion.  I learned the game by just playing it and grouping up and playing with others.  This really isn't an impediment to playing the mode in my experience (or among my friends).

#4 - What if there were a compromise option where allies could request to sell a trap and the trap owner would get a prompt and ether agree or disagree?

#5 - While it would be beneficial for new players, I don't think this impacts queue time.

~~~

Not mentioned here, but what I strongly recommend to ROBOT is to rethink the sabotage leaderboard.  Instead of a static leaderboard like we have now (that exists and never changes/resets), OMDU should have "seasons" where the leaderboard resets periodically (every 3-6 months or something).  It's crazy that the current leaderboard system rewarded people who exploited the "quit if you are losing" mechanic and now that that has been patched, the leaderboard wasn't reset and most of those players no longer play because they don't want to lose rank.  Maybe offer some vanity items (titles, backgrounds) to players or guilds that rank high at the end of a season (or that played the most matches). 
  • @Berninhell Thanks for the feedback, I really like the leaderboard suggestion!
  • I really enjoy sabotage and the long queue times are a real pain.  With respect to the 5 points listed above:

#1 - Yes, please! If the concern for not doing this is the potential for poor internet connectivity/lag to make for a poor game experience, then please give us players a choice!  How about an option that lets us choose to either queue on our "home" server, or across all available servers?  FWIW, I (USA) frequently play while grouped with a friend in Italy and South America.  Not sure what server we play on, but lag is manageable 99% of the time.

#2 - I would love to be able to solo queue with randoms for games that don't affect my leaderboard rank.  As it stands, there aren't enough people playing at my rank for me to be queued up with veteran players.  When I solo queue, I always get players with gray and red traps and they invariably don't know how to anticipate or react to bomb spells or much of anything else for that matter.  Some things I can compensate for, but some issues are just insurmountable.  If there were an option to play unranked, I'd play solo queue and try to help new players.

#3 - No opinion.  I learned the game by just playing it and grouping up and playing with others.  This really isn't an impediment to playing the mode in my experience (or among my friends).

#4 - What if there were a compromise option where allies could request to sell a trap and the trap owner would get a prompt and ether agree or disagree?

#5 - While it would be beneficial for new players, I don't think this impacts queue time.

~~~

Not mentioned here, but what I strongly recommend to ROBOT is to rethink the sabotage leaderboard.  Instead of a static leaderboard like we have now (that exists and never changes/resets), OMDU should have "seasons" where the leaderboard resets periodically (every 3-6 months or something).  It's crazy that the current leaderboard system rewarded people who exploited the "quit if you are losing" mechanic and now that that has been patched, the leaderboard wasn't reset and most of those players no longer play because they don't want to lose rank.  Maybe offer some vanity items (titles, backgrounds) to players or guilds that rank high at the end of a season (or that played the most matches). 
    @Berninhell Bernie MY MAN!!! I totally like the season suggestion and agree with all the above.
  • Thanks Jack.  Cheers.
  • @Berninhell Agreed about vanity items. Perhaps these can be used to attract more players to sabotage. Vanity items unlocked per rank, or even seasonal items.