is this game healthy enough to invest time/money?

hi
pretty much the question in the title:)
iam pretty sure u guys heard about MHO will get shut down soon after just 6 month out on console
game seems fun so far but the forum and reddit are almost dead  (from my perspective) dont know what to think about it.

sry for the silly question

Comments

• I maybe a little biased but try it and see.

On pc you always find a match of survival on global chat and on ps4 they have quite a few more players.

You should spend money once you try it out but you don't have too you can easily farm up skulls.
  • Been playing since day 1 on ps4 and i would say so. Usually the sign for a game going down hill and staying away is if there are not any recent content updates to go along with it while also looking at its playerbase.

I know how you feel about MHO. I played it back at its launch and even spent 50 dollars on it just to find out how money grubby that company was. Can't buy a new released character the first month and after that you spend a months worth of ES trying to buy said character in a game of like 30+? ridiculous.  Not even mentioning the way they handled look crates in such an undesirable way. You should read up on some of the things that were going down the last six months at gazillion. How they gutted the game for consoles and then said oops, thusly trying to make the same changes that were intended for console and integrate them into the pc version. And with a litany of additional sketchy subjects, like the issues with the CEO, that game was doomed from the time it released on console. Now everyone is fired at gaz and somehow the servers, that were supposed to be down on friday, are still up. It was a really fun game too. too bad ps4 isn't getting the same refunds as xbox.

That said, i am optimistic about this game. Content is dropping nicely for ps4 to match up with pc is a plus for me. looking forward to the christmas chests so i can grab the dobbin and gab skins. Invest as you please. it is free to play. i've dropped 45 dollars so far, maybe another ten in a few days depending on how well my next chinese chest wants to drop, and i have not considered it wasted money thus far, unlike MHO.
  • This game has been picked up by Tencent in China. So I don't think the game will end unless Tencent pulls out of it's deal.

Also Tencent is worth more than Facebook.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • SchrottsockeSchrottsocke Member
    edited November 26
    Been playing since day 1 on ps4 and i would say so. Usually the sign for a game going down hill and staying away is if there are not any recent content updates to go along with it while also looking at its playerbase.

I know how you feel about MHO. I played it back at its launch and even spent 50 dollars on it just to find out how money grubby that company was. Can't buy a new released character the first month and after that you spend a months worth of ES trying to buy said character in a game of like 30+? ridiculous.  Not even mentioning the way they handled look crates in such an undesirable way. You should read up on some of the things that were going down the last six months at gazillion. How they gutted the game for consoles and then said oops, thusly trying to make the same changes that were intended for console and integrate them into the pc version. And with a litany of additional sketchy subjects, like the issues with the CEO, that game was doomed from the time it released on console. Now everyone is fired at gaz and somehow the servers, that were supposed to be down on friday, are still up. It was a really fun game too. too bad ps4 isn't getting the same refunds as xbox.

That said, i am optimistic about this game. Content is dropping nicely for ps4 to match up with pc is a plus for me. looking forward to the christmas chests so i can grab the dobbin and gab skins. Invest as you please. it is free to play. i've dropped 45 dollars so far, maybe another ten in a few days depending on how well my next chinese chest wants to drop, and i have not considered it wasted money thus far, unlike MHO.
    thats the point!

ty for all ur nice answers! luckly here in Germany Sony has a slight diffrence in this "no refund policy" so i was able to get a good chunk of my money back. 

anyway. i have a blast with omdu so far.

• cyberfailzorcyberfailzor Member
    edited November 26
    I don't really feel like recommending any in-game purchases, however there's a starter pack that got as low as 5 bucks during steam sales.

Do note that you can obtain premium currency with enough daily logins, which means you can obtain some skins without investing money.
    That is unless you want to nuke the random chests for a very specific skin that you find super awesome for some reason.

Check each and every skin beforehand (from the workshop) so you can see whether it clips or not, some do and I wouldn't like to have that.

There's also the Hero Bundle (I can't recall whether it ever got on sale or not though), which unlocks every hero currently available, however it won't refund any previously unlocked hero, which would likely discourage you to purchase it (it certainly did for me), considering their policy.

The Starter bundle provides both premium currency and skulls, it's a boost that's considerable even after hundreds of hours in-game and isn't affected by your progression as much as the other purchases.

Also, just for those out there starving for some MH, check out Dauntless, it'll go free to play soon.
  • yobbobearyobbobear Member
    edited November 26
    Are any games worth investing time and money? This is free to play, so why not give it a try. 

Do you have to invest money into this game? No, everything you need to play can be earned by playing through the game without purchases. 

Currently their is a Steam sale with 75% off all OMD stuff. For less than US$10 you could unlock all in game heroes (13 from hero pack and use skulls and coin from starter pack to purchase Deadeye and Yi-Lin). Of course this does not apply to in-game purchases or console purchases. 

@cyberfailzor the Hero Bundle does not unlock all heroes, Deadeye and Yi-Lin are not contained within the 13 heroes it provides. Furthermore it does not provide any future unreleased heroes. The Starter Bundle contains $10 worth of premium currency, $10 worth of skulls and a 1 week battle pass. As you rightly point out there are no refunds or concessions if you have already unlocked part of a bundle (eg some heroes). 

If you like the game and play it lots, why not support the devs and spend a few dollars on skins or premium currency. 

Is this game dead? No, a new patch with some interesting changes will be coming very shortly. Generally patches come near the end of every month, although there is a Thanksgiving holiday break right now. 
  • This is one of my favorite game on the PlayStation 4 so I would love to recommend it. There are two major flaws holding my recommendations back though.

#1- The game is 100% online. Being 100% online means that if anything happens (such as Robot going out of business) we the consumers are at the mercy of someone somewhere keeping the servers going. If the servers ever go offline we have zero to show for money invested. We would not even get past the opening screen.

#2-Latency issues (see #1). Because the game is always online when there are a huge number of players on at once the entire game suffers from "lag" issues. This is mostly felt in Survival mode but modes such as endless are also affected. It's gotten to the point I avoid playing in prime time (around 4pm-10pm cst). An example of this is when you are running forward and all of a sudden you seem to warp to the left or right. This can negatively affect your current game to the point where you could easily lose a round due to these issues.

Overall this is a great game but in my opinion the decision to have it be online only and not a standalone cripple the experience. I feel like the $60.00 I've invested is worth the experience so far, but I also fully understand the only thing I will have to show for it someday will be some achievement trophies on the PlayStation network. 

• LorelleLorelle Member
    edited November 27
    The game's getting updates (we just got a pretty big one recently and usually get small ones here and there) unlike Marvel Heroes was getting for the most part in its final months.  I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where Robot Entertainment is getting money from though because there isn't that much to spend on once you're done getting the heroes and skins you want.

Well, at any rate, it's no where near as expensive as Marvel Heroes is (again, I'm scratching my head wondering where they get money).  Even if the game shuts down in six months (which it doesn't seem to have the red flags Marvel Heroes does, but let's say hypothetically), if you only spent $100 here as compared to $200 on Marvel Heroes, that's $100 for six months instead of $200, which should be more palpable.

So my own personal recommendation would be to just spend $60 or so.  IE, the typical cost of a normal video game.  Maybe more if you are in a good financial position and don't really mind spending more.  A normal video game doesn't really last much longer than six months anyways.  How much does the Hero Bundle cost again?  *shrug*
  • PuddinPuddin Member
    edited November 27
    I would say that the core premise of the game is fun enough to get into and play for a while.  If you enjoyed the first two games then think of this one as a free 3rd game and you will not be disappointed.  However at this point in time I could not recommend spending money for in game items.  

I've dropped quite a bit of cash on the game (proly around $75 - $100) but then again I have been playing since the start of closed beta.  Nevermind that I am still rather salty about the removal of seige (PvP) which is what this game was for years until right before launch.  Since the removal of seige this game amounts to nothing more than OMD3 with a robust multiplayer lobby.  To me this is the primary reason I will not be spending any more money on the game but I know that most of you do not feel the same so here are some other reasons.

1. Playerbase is steadily dropping.  It seems like Robot rebounded a bit from the whole launch debacle but they are not at all open with the amount of players.  Robot can say that all is well but you start to know better when you spend 20mins waiting for a "Sabotage" match.

2. RNG based leveling system.  This didn't used to be the case back in the day.  You used to be able to level up based on how well you played and how often.  You know...  Like a real game.  However somewhere between being able to spend skulls to level up individual heroes and hunting for tomes we ended with the RNG loot box system you see now.  The current "account level" really means nothing and all that matters is the cards and traps you get from loot boxes.  This was obviously a greed decision and not a "how can we keep players around" decision. 

3.  Content updates.  Well they are there.  They hit every few months or so.  I do not however feel that they are quite enough to keep players interested.  Keep in mind this is just my opinion but I think they need to either add more content to the few updates there are or have more updates in between for nothing more than to keep the players' attention.

4. Re-playability.  Once you finish with the core game it gets rather boring rather quickly.  You can play a bit of "sabatoge" but you very quickly start to realize that it is pretty much the same thing as survival but with random crap happening to you.  You have a complete disconnect with the people you are playing against and this is not how multiplayer games should work.    

5. Some heroes feel broken.  This one is very much up for debate but I feel is worth mentioning only because you could be very disappointed if you drop cash on this game to buy a hero only to find it is quite lackluster.  This is for several reasons such as some were made specifically for PvP play in hunting other heroes.  Now with only minions to kill they feel weak.  Some hero's have traps made just for them and give bonuses if used by them while others do not.  

6.  All game modes are practically the same thing.  Chaos trials are just like Sabotage but instead of the players lobbing random things at you it is the AI.  Sabotage is just like survival but with random extra things happening.  Survival is the classic OMD style game play.  This isn't a bad thing though if you pretend that this is a single player game.
  • I downloaded this game for PS4 with no knowledge of the Orcs Must Die games. I had low expectations as it was a free game.

Well, it's a different song now. I have sunk a many hours into this game and brought a good number of friends into it as well.

Personally, I think any game with a payment model like this one is worth considering; Have I gotten an enjoyment worth me contributing back to the development?. As such, I have spent a bit of money on gold. Less to unlock skins, items, or whatever, but more to support the team at Robot.

Is this the game for you? Will you enjoy it as much as me? Maybe. Hopefully. Only one way to find out though.