Feedback on update 2.6 custom games

I really appreciate the addition of the custom games added in the new update.  Some thoughts/comments/questions:

Custom games/Sabotage - The description says these games offer no rewards and don't count towards quest progress.  Testing shows that playing a game here means you use/burn any consumable cards you play and don't get any cards at the end of the match.  This is very, very bad IMO.  There will be little incentive for anyone to play custom sabotage games unless they are just trying to burn off consumable cards they don't want in their inventory (an issue that wouldn't be a problem if Narkh's suggestion were implemented).  If Narkh's suggestion isn't going to happen, I think cards used in custom sabotage matches should be returned to players when the match ends.  That would allow players to play freely without worrying about burning through their good cards.  Also, the description for the custom sabotage matches isn't clear - do these games affect Sabotage rank?  I would hope not as it would surely be abused/exploited if so, but the description doesn't say either way.  It would also be nice if folks could see everyone's current Sabotage ranks when joining the session and picking teams.

Custom games/Chaos Key - I jumped into a Rift Lord Chaos Key session that another player had created to help him (or her) out.  Another player joined shortly after I did.  Host accepts us and starts the match.  At hero/trap selection, I see the host has red and blue traps.  OK, no problem - I joined to help out, I can carry him (or her).  Then I look at the 3rd player and there are only gray traps.  Not only that, but this player doesn't even have every trap slot filled.  I can only assume it's a completely brand new player that doesn't even have a full complement of traps unlocked yet.  Oh boy.  Game begins and 3rd player is, as expected, completely worthless/clueless and dies 12 times while not doing much of anything to help.  So, it appears as if players that haven't unlocked Rift Lord Survival can jump into Rift Lord custom matches.  This wouldn't be an issue if the host of a custom match had more info to evaluate the players that jump into a session, but as it stands, it's very risky to host a chaos key and risk uber noobs joining and not being strong enough to survive.  Either provide hosts with info on the account level of peeps joining a session, or enforce level permissions so folks who haven't unlocked a difficulty level in Survival can't play those levels in custom games.

Auras from Duplicate Guardians - I tried the Ironsides challenge again last night and with the new guardian system, I could place two Cook guardians on The Baths near the rift and get a double aura boost to HP.  Unfortunately, the double HP boost immediately disappeared as soon as I moved close to the edge of the map to jump into the acid.  The aura boost is supposed to last for 45 seconds, but the second aura boost (or is it the first one?) is ending before it should.

Custom Games/GUI - It would be nice if there were a customizable filter available to show/display available sessions by difficulty level.  I'm not really interested in Apprentice or War Mage level games so I'd like to filter them from the list so I can more easily find matches that I might be interested to join.

Cheers

Comments

• Fighting friends is great but in sabotage we could hope by using our unique cards that it will help us win and get more cards in rewards.
    In custom games we just don't want to use the cards that are not for infinite use.
    Custom games/Sabotage - The description says these games offer no rewards and don't count towards quest progress.  Testing shows that playing a game here means you use/burn any consumable cards you play and don't get any cards at the end of the match.  This is very, very bad IMO.  There will be little incentive for anyone to play custom sabotage games unless they are just trying to burn off consumable cards they don't want in their inventory ...

Yep...

https://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/14680/no-more-use-of-the-consumable-in-custom-sabotage-game

• I hadn't read your post before posting mine sorry 
  • No worries Falco.
  • ... Either provide hosts with info on the account level of peeps joining a session, or enforce level permissions so folks who haven't unlocked a difficulty level in Survival can't play those levels in custom games.
    Yep...

https://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/14686/other-settings-for-custom-games-might-be-needed

• KulinaKulina Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Hello guys!

Thank you for your suggestions, I will share them with the team.

What you could do in the meantime is make the lobby public with a password, so that people who want to join will have to message you to get in. This is, for now, the only way to have control over who joins.

Keep on slaying!
    French Community Manager
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    You should not be losing sabotage consumables in custom games.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • I like the custom game lobby in theory, but there's a plague of level 5's joining Tier 8 riftlord chaos trials and its causing problems.

Remember that with custom games you don't see their level, unlike how it would be if you were in a party.  You have to get past character selection and then see all their traps are grey or red.  You either play on with a MASSIVE handicap or more realistically just kill the game and go to chat recruiting.

My suggestions:  Players who are not level 10 do not even see any custom games for above apprentice.  Similarly for other difficulty settings.  No one under level 40 should be trying RL CT's and honestly even level 40 is a bit low to be considering such but its as fair a rule as I can come up with.
    OR
    Make player level visible to the host of all custom games.
    OR
    Let the host set a level minimum for custom games.  I feel that the host must meet the number, so you won't find someone level 9 demanding only players level 75+ join (carry) them on apprentice training grounds.
    OR
    For chaos trials, let the host see how many stars players have gotten on the survival version of that map.  Chaos trials are designed for the kind of players who have 5 starred those levels as I recall.  So if my RL CT key for Frostbite and someone joins having never done riftlord frostbite, I as host have the option to kick them.
    For endless, I think displaying the star level or possibly wave count you previously achieved could be useful too.

Also if you are kicked from a custom game lobby you should not be allowed to rejoin that exact same game.
  • What's up with the guardian situation??? I just got guardian potions not long ago and now they are completely useless with this new system. To have to use coin to buy guardian makes things needlessly more complicated then they need to be. In the begining of a match I was in with 2 other people, I put down both guardians on the field and then had no more money for traps. Then after the guardians get killed off and you have to put them down again in say wave 7 or 8 the price literally quadruples. The most I ever put down on a guardian was 4000 coin and after that I had no more money for traps and this was around wave 8. Then in wave 9 it doubled to 8000 which to me is a bit of overkill. Where exactly are we going with this, like who is this system for???

Otherwise the custom create a match thing is pretty cool but I find that there now ends up being too many starters popping up in rift lord and that can get overwhelming quiet easily
  • I honestly think there should be a price guardians should stick to....somewhere beetween 500-4000 because i feel 4000 plus is too much. The most i ever paid is 30000-40000 and that was solo in endless....i just dont think the prices is realistic when they go above 20000...maybe with dobbin and the money traps but beside that i cant really see why have this endless punishment 
    AAcicods = AA: Cloud Iridescence | Circle of Dreams.

• ShadeDev said:
    You should not be losing sabotage consumables in custom games.
    Thanks.  Looks like I was wrong and custom game sabotage is working the way "it should", but I strongly suggest the help text describing the custom game clarify these issues as I suspect that most players who don't frequent these forums will have the same questions/misconceptions that I did and that will hurt participation in the game mode.
  • Kenaron said:
    I like the custom game lobby in theory, but there's a plague of level 5's joining Tier 8 riftlord chaos trials and its causing problems.

Remember that with custom games you don't see their level, unlike how it would be if you were in a party.  You have to get past character selection and then see all their traps are grey or red.  You either play on with a MASSIVE handicap or more realistically just kill the game and go to chat recruiting.

My suggestions:  Players who are not level 10 do not even see any custom games for above apprentice.  Similarly for other difficulty settings.  No one under level 40 should be trying RL CT's and honestly even level 40 is a bit low to be considering such but its as fair a rule as I can come up with.
    OR
    Make player level visible to the host of all custom games.
    OR
    Let the host set a level minimum for custom games.  I feel that the host must meet the number, so you won't find someone level 9 demanding only players level 75+ join (carry) them on apprentice training grounds.
    OR
    For chaos trials, let the host see how many stars players have gotten on the survival version of that map.  Chaos trials are designed for the kind of players who have 5 starred those levels as I recall.  So if my RL CT key for Frostbite and someone joins having never done riftlord frostbite, I as host have the option to kick them.
    For endless, I think displaying the star level or possibly wave count you previously achieved could be useful too.

Also if you are kicked from a custom game lobby you should not be allowed to rejoin that exact same game.

I totally agree!