Grinder vs Cursed Ground

cyberfailzorcyberfailzor Member
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
So, it's time for some trap discussion, but first here are a couple of vids:

They were both taken in Baths: Apprentice, both traps are t7, both display the first wave, the very beginning of the stage, as you can see the score begins at 0.

This is a small DPS test to see the damage they can dish out using up all their charges, which is why the videos stop soon, so their second recharge isn't listed in the damage-dealt-stats.

The first one, as you can see, displays Grinder in action, that is, just plain Grinder, t7, no parts or traits to boost anything, just barricades to line orcs up as you'd need to with Cursed Ground anyway.

As you can see the final trap damage listed in the stats is 1523, while the trap managed to kill 20 minions by itself, which is also a minion-per-charge killed (the trap has 20 charges).

Now for the second one, it displays 2 (emphasis on "2"!) Cursed Grounds, t7, fully slotted with Controlled Resonator and:
+TRAIT: Has Ultimate Set of Tools (+6% damage)
+Oziel placement (+25% damage)
+Viscous Tar
+Web Spinners
+Concussive Pounders (which debuffs stunned minions for extra damage)

Final trap damage listed is 386... killing a laughable 3 minions.

As of now it seems that a single Grinder's worth over 7 Cursed Grounds.

However after running a bit of calcs with the listed stats, Cursed Ground should be dealing more damage, especially in conjunction with other traps so, what do YOU think?

I had already reported it as a bug (Cursed Ground going off cooldown after hitting a small amount of minions) but they keep answering that everything's working as it should, so let's discuss its damage.

Comments

• true
    cursed trap is really bad right now
  • I dont use either of these traps ever. :0
  • AustellAustell Member
    edited December 2017
    cursed ground really doesn't seem to be doing as well as it looks like it should, in general... the card says it has 20 charges, equal to the grinder's, but from my attempts at using it, it feels more like 5. the grinder can run for 5-7 seconds in the thick of a wave before jamming, but cursed ground goes out in about two.

eta: it wasn't as rigorous as this, but i've done some tests on war mage eventide ramparts in the past. the arcane debuff is important and relevant, so i lined up three cursed grounds in a row in front of one of the doorways, where they performed all right—but three sets of floor spikes with double springs outshone them on all counts. if cursed ground is really working as intended, it needs a significant buff.
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Testing it at apprentice while having them at T7 isn't the best of the tests though.

The trap works in a burst, it deals most damage against big (slow) minions. Obviously grinder is gonna deal more damage since it's charges are used slower.

Anyhow, I have brought this up a few times now, ever since the release, cursed ground and brimstone have been pretty much the worst floor traps after steam vent, even with the buffs received, they have been bugged and heavily underperforming. 
  • it's fair to say that, and some further tests i've done with help on rift lord baths, where enemies are tougher and more tightly grouped, have yielded slightly more damage (approx. 1,100 after totally exhausting two t7 cursed grounds, aided by t7 viscous tar and kinetic resonators). this still pales in comparison to t7 grinders with debilitating resonators: in the same circumstances, one such grinder deals more than 3,000 damage before being exhausted!

given the numbers on the trap cards (and the information that cursed ground actually hits everything on top of it each time it fires, giving it a mechanical advantage), that doesn't add up at all.

• worst floor traps after steam vent
    steam vent is one of the best traps in the entire game. how dare you!
  • The only situation where I use cursed ground currently is in a cooridor with an arcane bowling ball and a few dragon lances for the buff damage, but I hardly think it is worth it in most cases.  I often swap in spikes instead anyways.
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    Hey guys, we found a bug with Cursed Ground.  We are investigating.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • ShadeDev said:
    Could you also check for that bug within Ice Vent too? Just to make sure.
  • thank you for the update! i've wanted to try out a full arcane setup for the longest time, but without a good floor trap i haven't been able to justify it.
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    ShadeDev said:
    Could you also check for that bug within Ice Vent too? Just to make sure.
    The bug does not apply to Ice Vent.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • cyberfailzorcyberfailzor Member
    edited February 14
    So, from what I'm seeing after the update Cursed Ground seems more responsive, but still runs out in about 3-5s which is just not what's stated in the description, I noticed this issue is shared with the other "charges" traps, like Ice Vents and Grinder, so, since devs mentioned they are working as intended they might want to reword their listed stats, more specifically "Damage Rate", either that or add in your patch notes the fact it's being standardized.