PS4 Controls

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but...

For the love of Yevon, please change things a bit. The controls are generally fine, but flawed in that you can accidentally pick a weaver the very second you go to heal or use some other gear. Really painful when you miss a character's prime weaver and get something lame. Why would I ever pick anything other than Spontaneous Combustion on Smoulder? Because I tried using the gear assigned to down on the d-pad the literal instant I level up. Some may like the other options in tier 4, but I sure don't.

I'd suggest changing the weavers to require you to hold the button for a few seconds before it takes. Not sure what other options there really are. Other than like swiping on the touchpad or something, like a few other PS4 games have done [which can have it's own share of issues]. I have instantly picked a weaver as I level up far too many times.

And often times in the heat of things, the upgrade will be hanging there for awhile unnoticed since I'm too busying fighting off waves to deal with it. I see this from PC players too. It's easy to notice passively watching, but in the thick of things you don't have time to fiddle with it. And unlike PC players, we don't have a button for every single individual thing. With that you can still end up doing upgrades instead of using gear, because you're busy fighting. Not paying attention to the upgrades. So you go to toss down some fire, or heal up and boom there goes an upgrade and boom you're also dead because you didn't get that heal going.

Another thing related to this. Put an icon for up and down under the gear in the ingame UI. A lot of people don't know you can use them for that purpose on PS4. Size them up properly and change up the UI to reflect that you can use them this way. I've seen people stream the game and cycle through manually with L1/R1 to use their gear every time. It's cumbersome to watch and cumbersome to do. I don't even think the game tells you you can use them this way either, I just did it on accident and never went back. This shouldn't even be an option with how bad it is to do. I've also accidentally fumbled and used gear when trying to cycle through my traps or get back to my abilities so that autoattacking works instead of me trying to place a trap [or use gear]. Though now I've discovered R2 takes you directly there without using an ability so I'll have to get used to that to fix this issue.

It'd be far better to just skip over both gear when cycling through all our traps. Why add more to it when other buttons already do this better [aside from the problems with weavers]. It's always going to be cumbersome to cycle through our traps as we do on PS4, and I accept it. But, I can't accept that it's made even more cumbersome for no real reason. The only real "benefit" of how it is now is superficial. Having a certain type of glow around your hands while you've got something selected. Is that really worth it? Something you don't even notice except at the start of a match before everyone's connected leaving that the only thing to do while you wait? The green/blue/fire/etc glow isn't worth it.

Given the placement of traps is current R2 or X, why not pick one? I'd love to be able to jump and have my trap ready to place or jump without [currently] using my selected gear (which I've also done many times). I don't know how it works on PC, but I don't see a problem in letting us jump while our traps are 'out' and ready for placement. I don't see why it's this way. There's already limited buttons on the controller, why are you taking up multiple uses for the same thing?

And as a minor sidenote; the event pages are a mess too, it's hard to actually scroll through the list of goals. Why isn't the right stick automatically assigned to scrolling on them? Instead it acts as the left stick does and is for selection. You end up stuck at the bottom of the list and then when trying to move back up, you just exit the quest goals and move to the green tile of the quest [oddly enough the last goal doesn't do this, instead it only goes up if you press left, pushing up does nothing Dx] . And the only way to get back to the top of the list is to exit to another tab and come back. I have somehow managed to scroll back up a few times, but had no idea how it happened and was so surprised I scrolled back down and it got stuck again. At least toss on some arrows to the top and bottom of the scroll bar so I can click them with the touchpad, which also doesn't seem to work well on them. I actually do use the touchpad for things at times and I'm glad it's used at all, but at times it doesn't function as you'd think it would.

tl;dr
* add up and down under the gear in the ingame UI
* remove gear from the L1/R1 cycle so you skip directly to traps
* weavers should require you to hold the corresponding button or something else that doesn't interfere with gear use
* Make R2 the only way to place traps, so jumping is always available

Comments

• ElvickElvick Member
    I just noticed you can sell a trap when your game is paused... and a single ability can be used in the same manner. Push the button, unpause and it's used. lulz
  • sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    Thank you for the very detailed feedback (and the note about the pause issue!). I have passed this along to the appropriate teams. We're always looking for input on the PS4 controls since they were a bit tricky to figure out (so few buttons for so many things to do!  :s ). 
    German Community Manager
  • edited January 3
    I agree with this post 1000% in regards to the weavers / hot keys for our gear being reworked on the controller.

Theres been a few people I’ve known who were surprised when I told them they could use the “Hot Keys” to use their gear faster and more efficiently.

One person that stuck out to me was rank 80, and they didn’t even know about the hot keys because they said to the blind eye, its more of a hidden feature because it’s not listed anywhere in game.

But while it is more efficient to use the gear, you have to keep a very close eye to you’re xp bar, and even when you do. You can not go all out “combo wise” until you hit level 10 due to being cautious of picking the wrong weaver upgrade.

I’ve kind of just accepted it over many months and started using xp syphons to hit rank 10 asap. They’ve done studies you know, 60% of the time it works everytime, that doesn’t make sense.

Theres times where I pick the wrong weaver due to this and I was looking at the xp bar the entire time, as if you don’t know by now I was getting greedy for more combos 

Would be an awesome rework, if you guys did anything to this. I guarantee many others would also greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • WithaZWithaZ Member
    Yup yup yup. I agree with all of the item/weaver comments above.

I also don't care to say how many times I have walked into the lava on Gates of Thuricvod because I was selected on a trap and couldn't jump onto the column. I know some players who even take the run around to avoid the accidental death.

Another thing I would suggest is really only for the Weekly Challenges. With PS4 players having to scroll L1/R1 through traps, I feel like it would be nice to be able to reorganize the layout of the traps so the most frequently placed trap can be closest to the attack option.

And the biggest complaint I have in comparison of PC to PS4, we can't dance. Why not? I just want to dance!! Maybe add it to the wheel of R3 options? Or add the use of keyboard in the game for chat/commands?
  • WithaZWithaZ Member
    Also, why don't we have Nananea videos for all the characters abilities/guardians?
  • ElvickElvick Member
    edited January 7
    WithaZ said:
    Yup yup yup. I agree with all of the item/weaver comments above.

I also don't care to say how many times I have walked into the lava on Gates of Thuricvod because I was selected on a trap and couldn't jump onto the column. I know some players who even take the run around to avoid the accidental death.

Another thing I would suggest is really only for the Weekly Challenges. With PS4 players having to scroll L1/R1 through traps, I feel like it would be nice to be able to reorganize the layout of the traps so the most frequently placed trap can be closest to the attack option.

And the biggest complaint I have in comparison of PC to PS4, we can't dance. Why not? I just want to dance!! Maybe add it to the wheel of R3 options? Or add the use of keyboard in the game for chat/commands?
    On Avalanche I always find myself trying to jump on the wall and place traps immediately when the bottom left gate opens up to get it ready and end up remembering, once again, you can't jump while having a trap ready to place. So have to get out of my traps and then jump. Frustrating when you just want to go fast, but you end up running into problems like that. And yeah, I hate playing Gates since that jump always makes me nervous. I usually toss my wall and ceiling traps and leave the floor alone since I can do that from the middle [even if the placement is a little finicky]. With Chaos modifiers for removing go breaks, or coin drain it's made a much larger issue.

I wish Yi-Lin's L3 was a toggle, it's uncomfortable to use that for movement abilities like that. Should be like midnight and just cancel out when you do something. But that's a little thing that hurts my thumb. :P I'm used to R3 being sprint in most FPS, but L3 is just weird and my left thumb isn't up for the task I guess. lol

Would love to reorganize the traps in weekly challenges. That'd be really helpful.

For the videos, I think it's due to space. Though other games can forward you to the browser, so I don't know why there's not at least that. We don't need the videos in the game, you can still throw us to youtube or something.
  • WithaZWithaZ Member
    Elvick said:

I wish Yi-Lin's L3 was a toggle, it's uncomfortable to use that for movement abilities like that. Should be like midnight and just cancel out when you do something. But that's a little thing that hurts my thumb. :P I'm used to R3 being sprint in most FPS, but L3 is just weird and my left thumb isn't up for the task I guess. lol
    Left thumb day at the gym is the worst. 
  • What are the Directional arrows used for? Movement? You could change it so it allows the player to select the upgrade weaver they need instead, and then the last arrow can be used for something else.
    I'm pretty sure that the players prefer using the Joystick to move around instead of the directional arrows anyways.
  • BrasegapokBrasegapok Member
    edited January 7
    Elvick said:

Given the placement of traps is current R2 or X, why not pick one? I'd love to be able to jump and have my trap ready to place or jump without [currently] using my selected gear (which I've also done many times). I don't know how it works on PC, but I don't see a problem in letting us jump while our traps are 'out' and ready for placement. I don't see why it's this way. There's already limited buttons on the controller, why are you taking up multiple uses for the same thing?

why would it be on the X key to place the traps anyways? on the PC you use the left click, (which is also the primary attack key) to place traps, not the jump key! it should be the square button (what i think is the primary attack key for PS4) if you really want to do the same thing, but just R2 seems fine as well
  • ElvickElvick Member
    edited January 7
    why would it be on the X key to place the traps anyways? on the PC you use the left click, (which is also the primary attack key) to place traps, not the jump key! it should be the square button (what i think is the primary attack key for PS4) if you really want to do the same thing, but just R2 seems fine as well
    It's R2 that's primary attack, L2 secondary. But yeah, I agree. It should just be your primary attack, not jumping. And certainly makes no sense for it to be both 'x' [jump] and 'R2' for placing traps. Don't need two things for one thing when there's already limited buttons to work with.
    What are the Directional arrows used for? Movement? You could change it so it allows the player to select the upgrade weaver they need instead, and then the last arrow can be used for something else.
    I'm pretty sure that the players prefer using the Joystick to move around instead of the directional arrows anyways.
    left and right are for consumables ingame, and up and down are for your gear. The problem is that weavers are assigned to the d-pad as well; up, right and down. Was playing endless today and have no idea what weaver I picked for Temper since I accidentally picked the down one trying to use my lightning ring. Leveled up right as I pushed it. Fun times! I think it was the tier that I never know what to pick anyway, but it's still annoying.