Patch 2.8 – Stay Out of the Water

SixOkaySixOkay Member, Administrator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Featured Developer
edited March 2016 in The Archive

Patch 2.8 – Stay Out of the Water

Releasing March 17, 2016.

Overview

• New Map - Shark Island
  • Survival Battlegrounds Difficulty Rebalance
  • Daily Login Rewards
  • New Player Walkthrough Improvements

General

• Players now receive increasing rewards for up to 20 daily logins per month.
  • We have increased account experience earned by players for long games.
  • Players now receive bonus experience for beating a survival level. This does not apply to rifts, which reward players with a different chest tier based on their performance.
  • Placement abilities now intelligently prevent invalid placement. In addition, these skills now display a preview of where they can spawn.
  • Players can now walk over barricades

Survival Matchmaking

• If a party of players with both low and high account levels enters the matchmaker, they are placed in a game alone instead of paired with other players.
  • Survival matchmaking will now more likely match players with similar account levels.
Designer Comment: We are making these changes to prevent a party that has both high and low account levels from hurting the experience of other players.

Dashboard

• You can now view card details within the store.
  • The play screen’s aesthetics have been significantly improved
  • Players can now see the level of the battleground they are playing during hero select
  • Players are now introduced to the dashboard UI when using it for the first time and rewarded for completing the siege tutorial.
  • When browsing siege cards, their card art will always show their tier 1 variation and not their survival tier.
  • We have polished the post-game rewards screen to better convey leveling bonuses and account level.
  • Players can now see their hero ranks during hero select.
  • Players can now see the account level of party members.
  • We have updated or added many sounds in the game and the dashboard.
  • Crafting or tiering an item now triggers a new fanfare.
  • Players no longer see upgrade notifications within the deck editor.
  • There is a new sound for when the matchmaker finds a game. This sound will play even when the dashboard is not currently the selected window.
  • We have improved the tooltips for materials.
  • We added a "Craft Now" button to hero card backs to make the option to craft them more obvious.
  • We have also made many additional refinements.

Survival

• New map: Shark Isle
  • We have changed the progression curves for survival to exponential scaling from linear scaling. However, power at level 100 remains the same. This also affects trap tiering. For more information, see below.
  • There is now a damage penalty for playing levels above your own.
Designer Comment: Playing above your level became easier at higher levels. We did not like the fact that as players became more experienced, it became harder for them to find a challenge. Furthermore, this makes playing above your level less lethal overall, which was leading to the feeling of instantly dying when fighting high-level minions.
  • All traps now have a visual progression for when they are tiered.
  • Many heroes now receive a damage buff in survival mode.
  • Fixed some bugs where players were occasionally gaining far more battle level experience than intended.
  • We have adjusted coin gain across all levels. In general, earlier levels have more coin and later levels have less.
  • Lower tier levels now slowly introduce minions and require fewer waves to complete.
  • We have added new fire and frost variants of minions. These minions are resistant to frost and fire and weak against the opposite.
  • It is now slightly more difficult to become Unchained after consecutive uses.

Decoy

• Now has Max's face on it.
Designer Comment: Max was upset.
  • Fixed bug that caused him to have explosive decoys at level 1 without the Weaver upgrade.

Ice Vent

• Redesigned: Now continuously damages enemies on top of the trap until it runs out of charges
Designer Comment: This trap was previously counter-intuitive; it only damaged minions when they first walked onto the Ice Vent. As a result, keeping minions on top of the trap did not increase its damage, nor did it freeze minions easily. The trap now behaves the way it appears to function, according to its visuals.

Frost Boulder Chute

• We renamed to "Icicle Impaler."
  • It now also has new art.

General Hero Changes

• Hero health lowered by 5% (except Cygnus who had his survivability lowered differently; see below).
Designer Comment: Increasing movement speed and adding hit bloom caused the number of kills per game to drop slightly. We preferred the previous lethality, so we are taking a small step back towards that by adjusting player health downwards.
  • We have reduced the amount of VO chatter between heroes.
Designer Comment: We get it, Max. You’re “Absolutely Stunning”.

Cygnus

• We rebalanced his mana shield. It now provides up to 65% damage reduction at 75% mana. Previously, it provided up to 75% damage reduction at 50% mana.
  • Cygnus health increased to 130 from 100.
Designer Comment: Previously, Master did not take any increased damage until he fell below 50% mana. This made managing the mana easy for people who understood this rule, but very punishing for those who did not. By making his shield more analog (it has a smoother curve), the mechanic is both easier to understand and harder to "master." Yeah, I made that joke.

Oziel

• No longer gains souls from allied hero deaths.
Designer Comment: While this was originally what we intended, we did not like the fact that Oziel gets stronger from mistakes. We are considering additional changes to Oziel for future patches.

Zoey

• We reduced her collision size significantly.
  • We reworked Zoey's “Death and Chaos” Weaver upgrade. Now, it only causes Zoey to change schools when she kills a minion with her primary attack.
Designer Comment: We made this change to prevent Zoey from changing schools multiple times from a single ability use.

Archers and Mages

• We increased their minimum range from 500 to 1000.
Designer Comment: Their minimum range was shorter than a melee hero’s attack range. As a result, a melee hero could be attacking an archer while the archer fires back. This causes ranged minions to behave as intended.

Kamikaze Kobolds

• We lowered their health from 100 to 65.
Designer Comment: It was very difficult to counter these minions. This should make it easier for players to react and counter kamikaze kobolds waves. We will consider additional changes if necessary.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed several parts that were not functioning.
  • Fixed several cards that were flagged incorrectly.
  • Fixed several bugs pertaining to custom games.
  • Fixed several bugs pertaining to parties.
  • Fixed a bug where secondary trait bonuses were not applied in survival.
  • Fixed a bug that caused barricades to explode randomly.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to stutter when an enemy hero spawned in Survival
  • Fixed several instances where the play button disappeared.
  • Fixed a major issue where heroes would sometimes fail to play an animation.
  • Fixed a major issue where heroes would sometimes play their animations but nothing would occur.
  • Environmental traps and unique hero traps now properly scale with account level in survival.
  • Dialogue for elite players now shows properly for the highest skill player within a match.
@SixOkay
Robot Entertainment | Marketing Manager
Post edited by SixOkay on

Comments

• AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Get excited!!!
  • Rys4kRys4k Member
    SixOkay said:

"soon"

• ExhayleExhayle Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Ohhhhh... Shark Island!!!  Very excited for changes and new map!

• Rys4kRys4k Member
    More like;

-R
  • AstraeaAstraea Member, War Mage Founder, Early Access
    SixOkay said:

Cygnus

• We rebalanced his mana shield. It now provides up to 65% damage reduction at 75% mana. Previously, it provided up to 75% damage reduction at 50% mana.
    So what does the damage curve look like now? It's what % to start when the mp shield is at the lowest strength?
    I'd imagine even with the extra 30% hp, he's still going to feel the hurt a lot faster than before since every attack is doing at least 10% more damage.

Maybe he just needs a extra UI element of a visible mp shield % strength bar to help players newer to him.
  • AdkhiAdkhi Member
    Astraea said:
    SixOkay said:

Cygnus

So what does the damage curve look like now? It's what % to start when the mp shield is at the lowest strength?
    I'd imagine even with the extra 30% hp, he's still going to feel the hurt a lot faster than before since every attack is doing at least 10% more damage.

Maybe he just needs a extra UI element of a visible mp shield % strength bar to help players newer to him.
    Cygnus previously had his gorgeous mana donut dissipate to show that he was going to start taking some Hurts Donuts. I'd like to see something similar; where there are multiple effects and they drop away one by one as Cygnus falls below each threshold.
  • TristarisTristaris Member, Early Access
    Oh man, the hype is real!
  • ducksmustliveducksmustlive Member
    edited March 2016
    Tristaris said:
    Oh man, the hype is real!
    The hype is real, time to dance!
  • TristarisTristaris Member, Early Access
    Hahahaha, that's epic.
  • IS TIKLIK FIXED?! Do I get to have my tiklik back in the shop?
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    edited March 2016
    What it is like without barricade walking ^^
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • SixOkaySixOkay Member, Administrator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Featured Developer
    ah yes!
    @SixOkay
    Robot Entertainment | Marketing Manager
  • CusterDawgCusterDawg Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Dare I say it, but after this patch, we're gonna need a bigger barricade. B)
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    - B.B. 1984
  • Void2258Void2258 Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    edited March 2016
    Did a clicking noise get added to hitting minions? It's really annoying.
  • StarPilotStarPilot Member, Early Access
    Void2258 said:
    Seemed like it did. I think they were going for an audio feedback on a successful hit. You can even hear it in the siege tutorial when the camera pans around to different parts of the map while the bot is shooting a barrier. It's not a bad idea or anything, just needs to be more subtle so that it doesn't become annoying. Of course it shouldn't be too subtle as to be mistaken as background noise.
  • TillingSaturnTillingSaturn Member, Early Access
    I love this Patch guys!  Its really coming together and I'm really exited for the steam launch.  I already have it downloaded off of steam so I'm ready. :smiley:  By the way I love the hero losing art after a match!
  • ExhayleExhayle Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Max's singing to alert of a match is absolutely adorable.  I loved that.  Shark Isle was AMAZING... best map in the game.  I was so excited playing it.  The new win/loss art and the trait card art is terrific.  The barricade walkover is great!  Just so many things I can't mention it all.  Great patch so far!!!
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    StarPilot said:
    Void2258 said:
    Seemed like it did. I think they were going for an audio feedback on a successful hit. You can even hear it in the siege tutorial when the camera pans around to different parts of the map while the bot is shooting a barrier. It's not a bad idea or anything, just needs to be more subtle so that it doesn't become annoying. Of course it shouldn't be too subtle as to be mistaken as background noise.
    Yes, we added a new hit feedback click; it might be too loud.  We will discuss.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • CusterDawgCusterDawg Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Exhayle said:
    Max's singing to alert of a match is absolutely adorable.  I loved that.  Shark Isle was AMAZING... best map in the game.  I was so excited playing it.  The new win/loss art and the trait card art is terrific.  The barricade walkover is great!  Just so many things I can't mention it all.  Great patch so far!!!
    I agree with most of what you said. After having played a few games I've realized though that the barricade buff is also an unintended nerf to dobbin and some defenders or a similar playstyle. Before as defense, a barricade made it possible for you to evade an enemy because they would be slowed with multiple jumps on trying to jump over the barricades to get you. This sometimes allowed you an escape. This is no longer possible with any traps on defense. You are only escaping if your character has one built in, is using ring of last stand, can burst your opponent down, or can somehow slow them enough for escape.

A change I would suggest, possibly make only friendly barricades able to be walked over by heroes.

I get that offense is supposed to be a bit stronger than defense in general, but tilting the advantage in their favor even further makes playing defense even less appealing than before.
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    - B.B. 1984