Release 1.1 - Oath of the Arctic Prince

Comments

• I must deeply express my concern for the nerfing of Zoey, She was already a incredibly hard char to play when fighting early game and this simply wont help, She's a hit or miss, and most of the time people miss, and with this? This simply isn't the fix, and will only lead to even more dis-like from the community. I'd suggest perhaps making her attacks more time-based and fixing them in that sense, and adjusting them so she cannot clear waves, however. To that extent, her attacks can also be used in offence against hero's, thus causing the problem of when you nerf a character like this in that sense, You nerf her to Not be able to handle melee chars, when they come into her defense lane, it simply wont do, perhaps making her attacks more time based is a better option, Not completely demolishing her attacks DPS, it simply wont do, I really do enjoy the game, but if she's nerfed like that I might end up trying to get her refunded, it simply isn't worth the time to play a character that wont win you any games, or even be worth playing, when you take the game -Very- Seriously. Again, I love the game. Please keep developing it and consider this post. - Devoted player.
  • TristarisTristaris Member, Early Access
    When you change heroes like this, you should allow a refund of the creation cost of the hero. For instance, Zoey. Zoey is a challenge to play, she has 1 burst dps that she can do and then she's done for minutes. Now, she completely sucks. There's no challenge in playing her now, she's just going to get pwned. Good thing I didn't buy Zoey or I'd be a mad mother orc right now. As it is, I think I'll just uninstall. This game is going and gone, nowhere.
    You're uninstalling because of a warranted nerf? See ya later I guess.
  • pachipachiopachipachio Member
    edited April 2016
    That was a very minor nerf to zoey to be fair.  And this game's doing a lot better than other pre-release tower-defense titles doing patches every 3 months and only just now promising major core changes that were asked for about a year and a half ago <.< *cough* dd2 *cough*

• That was a very minor nerf to zoey to be fair.  And this game's doing a lot better than other pre-release tower-defense titles doing patches every 3 months and only just now promising major core changes that were asked for about a year and a half ago <.< *cough* dd2 *cough*

Allright, A minor nerf,  Zoey can only fire atleast once per 10-5 seconds per so, lets per her up against head to head melee, Zoey starts off hitting him with her book, 20 damage, + knockback, she gets off two shots, maybe three, each doing a bout 55 - 25 Damage each, painful. In that time he can jump onto her, swipe her THREE TImes now she pops her ability of changing spells and starts blasting him, 5 - 3 shots of 11 damage, Fair enough. Then she tries to pop her Ult, He runs out of the blast radiu, Kills her before she has a chance to fully do it, and dies. End result? Zoey is not able to cast her ult leading to the melle being able to escape, meaning in the end. SHe has to wait for cool-down, Melee just got fed a level, and she's left down graded and defenless NEEDING anothr teammate to come from the attack, to help guard. That's. Why she shouldn't be nerfd in this reguard.

• I'm interested to see feed back on what I said, because it is something to be discussed, as OP as she may appear, she was more then balanced, on paper it looked bad. But ingame it went good.
  • Idk what's wrong with making zoey not be able to duel melees out in the open...  What exactly would she be bad at if she could beat blackpaw out in the open, lol? 

Some heroes need weaknesses, the typical rock/paper/scissors for ranged and melee is if a melee can get on top of you and stick to you, as a ranged character, you're probably dead.  Think that's really wrong?
  • Heres the issue, If she is ment for defence, what if a -Melee goes to where she has to defend-, THEN a attacker needs to go to her line, Which fucks the team's coordination. That's why its a issue, I'm not saying make her super op, But the way she was more then efficent
  • If this nerf was for blackpaw that did this to him and gave her the buff? That's basically what happened here,
  • "Don't fix something that isn't broken"
  • I see that some problems are fixed after this patch. However, one of the most notable problem still gets little attention. When is the upgrading system gonna be fixed? It will take hundreds of hrs(or even thousands) if you decide to try different strategy and have different T3/T4 traps. It ruins all the fun. Or at least have a refund system, so when we invest materials into wrong traps  due to interest/strategy/patch change, we don't feel so frustrated.
     For example, today lightning rod got nerfed, okay how about my investment into T3 lightning rod? What if it's my only reliable trap to beat lvl 80 survival and above? And we all know it is impossible to have 2 T3 traps if your account level is at around lvl80. Even with money investment like 200+bucks like me. What are we gonna do?
    Another example, I feel that this trap is nice, so I decide to upgrade it to T3. After leveling to like lvl 70, 80, oh this trap is proven to be fun but not effective at high level at all! How about using other traps? T1 traps certainly won't work. Okay so I need to farm a lot of materials, and since I can't beat high level survival, I'll just go back to lower levels. And the problem is, at low level survival, players simply can't get much xp to improve the chance of a chest! Without the chest, one game gave like 100+ motes or not any at all. While 6000+ motes are needed from T2 to T3, which means we need to complete 60 games in order to level a trap from T2 to T3,. 60 games, 30min per game, so 60X30min=30hrs. All right one trap from T2 to T3 need 30 hrs farm. We've got so many traps, we've got T4, not to mention even 4000+motes are needed just from T1 to T2. Imagine the time cost. 
    Really, OMD is a good series, so when one day my friends ask me if this unchained version is worth to play, I don't want to answer like this" It's a nice game to have a taste, but don't be into it. Play OMD 2 instead." Or I already did.
  • Let's review Zoey's changes shall we?
    • Book Club damage has been decreased to 20 from 60.
    • Chaos Blast damage has been reduced to 105 from 115.
    • The tier 4 weaver upgrade for Zoey's ultimate no longer reduces its cooldown. Instead, the vortex effect is much more pronounced.
    Book Club is meant to hit enemies off cliffs and control where they are, we can still finish people off with it with the tier 3 upgrade that gives 60 damage to the club. A 10 point reduction to chaos blast is less than a 10% nerf, in other words you'll hardly notice the difference. The tier 4 upgrade deserved to be nerfed because Zoey should not be able to use her "I win this round" E ability every single round. This is all coming from someone who first bought Zoey, she's still a blast to play and to quit over one character not being as OP is stupid.

• I see that some problems are fixed after this patch. However, one of the most notable problem still gets little attention. When is the upgrading system gonna be fixed? It will take hundreds of hrs(or even thousands) if you decide to try different strategy and have different T3/T4 traps. It ruins all the fun. Or at least have a refund system, so when we invest materials into wrong traps  due to interest/strategy/patch change, we don't feel so frustrated.

So the Ethereal Note shortage continues I see. They could make it a guaranteed drop in survival mode, or boost its drop rate. I'm more into the former of the two since siege players won't benefit from upgrades. Another solution I have to to shop for the Ethereal Notes with skulls. There is a suggestion for this at http://forums.orcsmustdie.com/discussion/5658/shop-with-skulls#latest
  • WAIT, 4 stars bots are now EASIER?? Seriously!? They were always a guaranteed, easy win before! :O They needed to be harder, not easier...

Oziel:
    I commend you on the goal of making more counters to his abilities, as should be the case with all heroes, and I have no problem with the Soul Stack changes. I also agree that his lifesteal was a bit too strong. However, I don't like how Haunting Spirits and Wraith Surge have been dumbed down. Stopping movement while casting Haunting Spirits made it less useful for piling on in the middle of a fight, where the enemy can't do anything about it, and rewarded planning in activating it around the corner *before* you ambush someone. Doesn't it go against your goal of making his abilities more counterable to make it so that Oziel can just pop Haunting Spirits in the middle of a fight without penalty and guarantee the enemy can't escape without it hitting? :o As for Wraith Surge, I never had any trouble hitting with it so I don't know where the call for a bigger hitbox is coming from. Sounds like people were firing it without lining up their shot first and we're just rewarding bad play...

Zoey:
    I agree with all of these changes, though the Book Club nerf might have been slightly excessive. We'll see.

That said, I don't think Zoey is particularly strong against melee... She wrecks most ranged heroes just as well and Chaos Blast has very long range so it's hardly a threat only to melee heroes (though I do agree it did way too much damage). I've only found Max, Oziel, and Midnight to be effective against her. The former two because they can kill as ridiculously fast as she can and the latter because she can take most of Zoey's HP before Zoey can start firing. Blackpaw can also do crazy burst but, not sharing Midnight's stealth or stun, he dies too fast to use it against her. Frankly, I don't like any hero being able to deal fatal amounts of damage within a few seconds time so I think all 5 of these heroes need looking at and maybe just raise all heroes' HP by 30% so there's more time for counter-play?

Lightning Rod:
    Reduced? :O I bought this trap earlier in the week and tested it out. Eight of them, in a line, did pretty much nothing to a wave of orcs (no armor buff)... Every other trap I have access to, ceiling, floor, or wall, performed better. What am I missing? <span>:open_mouth:</span>

Matchmaking:
    All good stuff! Now to fix the horribly inaccurate MMR that keeps pitting teams of newbies against veterans :D
  • What are the actual battleground balance changes? Can we get anything more specific?
  • Radius is a distance. "Short" is a word that specifically applies to distance. Using the two together is entirely proper English. Maybe you were confusing raidus with the area/volume of the circle/sphere it describes? :o

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Zoey had one burst ability... Absolutely everything with Zoey was a burst ability :p Her Chaos Blast did about 30% of your average hero's max HP, on a short cooldown, in an AoE, with very long range. Her Book Club did about the same damage, with the upgrade for +60 damage to it, plus knockaside and the chance for the ultimate burst damage in throwing someone off the map :P Feebee's Wrath... obviously the highest burst damage ability in the game, 'nuff said. Furthermore, the former two abilities activate increased attack speed that ALSO grants incredible burst damage and the shift buff has a chance of being an attack damage buff as well... So, with every single ability triggering massive burst and all but one being on low cooldowns, tell me how it is that you figure she has only one burst every couple minutes :P I bought Zoey as my first hero and I fully agree with these nerfs, she was *extremely* powerful. Frankly, I still don't think it will be enough but we will see :)

I'm not sure what you mean by Zoey being "hit or miss," as you really need do nothing more than activate her abilities on an infinite cycle and aim at the enemies :o The only things you could really miss with are trying to knock someone off the map or trying to kill a hero with Feebee's Wrath and those are both just bonuses on top of her already overly powerful common abilities. My original thought for balancing her was to put a cooldown on her attack speed buff so that enemy heroes could hide when she activates it and then have a short period in which to attack her without getting their face melted off but I think the changes the devs made are probably better, since her Book Club and Chaos Blast together could nearly kill someone instantly on their own. Better to cut down her burst than her sustained (though the attack speed DPS is still burst compared to most other heroes ;p). She was extremely strong before, I very much doubt she will be unplayable now ;)

Ah, after reading your next post it is clear where your balance concerns come from. You are very confused about how to use Zoey :p Here's how a fight with Zoey actually went against a melee. Zoey sees them coming and activates her shift buff, giving her both the attack speed buff plus another random one (attack damage, armor, mana regen, health regen, speed, or brief stun). She gets a shot or two off, then they jump on her and she Clubs them away, dealing 30% of their max HP and refreshing the attack speed buff (please notice that Book Club changes her magic school and applies the attack speed buff, just as does using Chaos Blast and the shift buff). Then she hits them with Chaos Blast, dealing another 30% HP and refreshing her buff. Then they try to run because they are almost dead, while she pelts them melts them with her attack speed buff. If she wants to secure the kill, she can hold off for a couple seconds on the Book Club/Chaos Blast combo to bring their health down some with normal attacks first.

Feebee's Wrath never comes into it, as that is not an ability for killing heroes, it is for clearing entire minion waves or half-killing a Guardian. You seem to have not understood that, between her 3 abilities that can activate her attack speed buff, there is no need for her to ever not have the buff active in combat, as she can endlessly cycle the three abilities with their cooldowns being so low. And two of those abilities grant massive burst damage on top of the burst she's already getting from the attack speed ;)

As for her role as defender, just go to the Guardian if you're having trouble. You get a massive armor bonus near friendly Guardians and the benefit of their active protection. You can also wreck melee from outside the Guardian's protection by using Book Club to knock them into his reach when they go for you ;)
  • Void2258Void2258 Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    @catbert7:
    Short applies to linear distance. Radius, despite being a word for the straight line from the center to the edge of circle, is nonetheless classed linguistically with geometric identifiers. You can have a small circle, but not a short circle. So because English is weird, you can have a small radius, but not a short radius.
  • Obviously the people saying it's a minor nerf have never played zoey or they play the crazy op characters only. They do not play any character that actually takes skill.
  • The increased vortex effect on Zoey's weaver upgrade arguably is a buff rather than a nerf. It's extremely difficult to avoid now.

The real question is why does Zoey have an "ult"? None of the other characters do. It's like she's playing a different game than the rest of them.
  • catbert7 said:

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Zoey had one burst ability... Absolutely everything with Zoey was a burst ability :p

Actually, I was worried about length of the wording but it was meant to say one time burst dps every 2 mins I think it is for all skills to be off cooldown and that's the ONLY way she can even come close to taking out another hero. Chaos blast does NOT do 30% of a hero's HP. Book Club is orc. The only thing it's good for is a minor CC and "don't run so my teammate can kill you because I only shoot 1 bolt every 1-2s and can't kill you myself". Bit of a stretch but people seem to think she's op when there are many many more than are OP. I'm not seeing any 'MINOR' nerfs happening to them. See, the thing about burst, is once you do it, it's done. She needs all her abilities up to burst. Think about that real hard.
  • Hmm, I will have to test the oziel changes. I feel like part of the fun of oziel was trying to work with a team to really focus on killing within the consecrated area (insuring stacks and later double stacks with the upgrade). I understand that the power curve is to remain the same, just shifted from burst to sustained with a higher risk-reward interaction. I'm just concerned that now it will be- I hope I happen to get stacks by standing next to minions and hopefully the enemy heroes over-extend. Just first impression, but I will come back with detailed feedback after I have a few new oziel games under my belt.