Deckbuilding Tips!

edited April 2016 in Community Guides
Hey all, 

We posted a dev blog today running down the basics of deckbuilding but we want to hear from you! What combos do you use for your best decks? What traps do you recommend for new players or specific maps, heroes, and situations?

Let's share some of our best decks!

I'll start it off with my noob deck! The first trap I crafted was wall blades, and I am currently saving up for my FAVORITE classic trap: floor scorcher! I'm also looking forward to grinder, but it's gotta be the floor scorcher first.

Robot Entertainment | Community Manager

Comments

• edited April 2016
    I'm using for survival ATM, 1 ceiling, 3 floor (counting tar), 2 walls, and must have barricade.

Its a noob trap decks, but i'm focusing in getting high combos, so cheap traps allow me put more combos in the beginning, and the Arcane Bubble, help with the damage with some heroes arcana based.

• Let us get rid of the starter decks.
  • Maybe Intermediate deck im around lvl 70.
    All rounder for maps (bank extremely useful) 
    Note  -Viscous tar
             -XP Siphon on bank for survival 
             -boom barrels can be placed on 2 high walls, very efficient can find a place in most maps (survival) 
             -trait bears early game are tough probably going to change to troll dmg tho they are an issue at higher lvls.
             -wall blades are cheap undecided weather they are better then chargers for the cost (i think they are sorta) 
    I generally play Smolder (brimstone works with naptha so its nice in siege when you have to run away)

Thoughts anyone? not sure weather ballista or dragon lances are better, ballista are really cheep to craft tho! 
  • Hexerin said:
    Semi-related but semi-offtopic question: Will we ever be able to delete the two starter decks?
    Great question. This is feedback we've heard from many players and it's been passed along to our design team! So, no answer yet.
  • Harmonia said:
    Hexerin said:
    Semi-related but semi-offtopic question: Will we ever be able to delete the two starter decks?
    Great question. This is feedback we've heard from many players and it's been passed along to our design team! So, no answer yet.
    Yeah, deleting the starter decks would be nice, they are taking 2 slots. While I don't need these slots right now because crafting rng, we seem to be limited at 6 currently. I've been assuming that we cannot delete them because they had not made a system in place to unable you from playing at all without any decks.

On topics:
    This is currently my noob deck. I unlocked Spring Flip Trap this afternoon and it has replaced my Spike Trap. I haven't tried them yet though and I've been thinking about swapping back Pounder for Shockzapper.

My currently upgraded traps are Brimstone(t2) and Wall Charger(t2) and currently debatting whether I should upgrade Wall Charger to t3 when I get the mats(I hit 50 as well) or upgrade Wall Blades or Barricades to t2.

I haven't used my radiant crystals from leveling yet because I fear I might end up regretting it and I am currently saving them so I can possibly craft a set of 2 traps that could go together or something.

• I posted on reddit on beating lvl 100 Crogon Keep! 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OrcsMustDie/comments/4e5w9o/just_finished_level_100_crogon_keep_ama/

Loadouts are included
  • @Qelris

honestly, u need banks, and lvl up those wall chargers, iv had alot of experience with both wall blades and chargers, and late game your just going to want wall chargers, there a bit more expensive but you can usually hold anyway if you set up some good banks early.

Pounders are bad, id go ether shockzapers or dragon lances (not 100% sure whats the best roof trap yet tho) as the t4 enhance on ballista might out do the stacking dmg.
  • Trist said:

Pounders are bad
    They're the spike trap of ceilings, low cost but good damage for said cost. They're for early game.
  • StarPilot said:
    Trist said:

Pounders are bad
    They're the spike trap of ceilings, low cost but good damage for said cost. They're for early game.

I just crafted pounders and have the same opinion, I find them really useful in the earlier game and then I replace them with stronger traps once the cap has been reached and I want each trap to be as strong as possible.
  • I really like pounders - there aren't a lot of good, easy to craft alternatives to them, and a smart killbox can just put the zappers above barricades since their attack range is large enough to hit the mobs walking through your boxes. If I had all the traps unlocked however, I would probably replace it with the much smaller zappers that get stronger the more they attack (and still put the big zappers beside them over barricades).
  • @StarPilot @Harmonia ;
    Iv actually come to realise if you work hard enough on your own style it will work.
    I personally didnt think they did enough, but in the right setup they may just work! 
    i saw a guy the other day using beaters and wall blades and it actually worked,
    there are some interesting builds out there, like flippy trap builds, there fun and can work, 
    id say build to make yourself happy!
  • edited April 2016

I really like pounders - there aren't a lot of good, easy to craft alternatives to them, and a smart killbox can just put the zappers above barricades since their attack range is large enough to hit the mobs walking through your boxes. If I had all the traps unlocked however, I would probably replace it with the much smaller zappers that get stronger the more they attack (and still put the big zappers beside them over barricades).
    This brings up a separate point in that many traps have deceptive indicators. For example, zappers indicators would imply that they only trigger and do damage straight down, when in fact they have a bit of a radius to the sides. Many other traps also have inaccurate ranges (things trigger farther or don't trigger as far as indicated) or ambiguous information (deal damage further than indicated but the indicator is right for the trigger range or the inverse). These visual indicators must be accurate or it creates an artificial advantage for those who consult outside sources for information.
  • @Void2258 Sounds like this would make a good in-depth guide or tips and tricks post, pointing out the trigger radius for traps or special use cases. I, for one, hadn't been prioritizing traps over my barricades and will now have to rethink my design for situations where I want a super dense trap set up.
  • Void2258 said:

This brings up a separate point in that many traps have deceptive indicators. For example, zappers indicators would imply that they only trigger and do damage straight down, when in fact they have a bit of a radius to the sides.
    Huh. Yeah, that's a thing. Same holds for lightning rods.