Matchmaking Changes coming with Oath of the Arctic Prince (Patch 1.1)

HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
edited April 2016 in The Archive

Greetings War Mages!

We've heard your feedback about uneven siege matches and are making a few matchmaking changes to help improve this experience. These changes will come with Thursday's Oath of the Arctic Prince update, but due to the quick implementation there will be no text in-game to explain the changed behavior (that will be coming soon!). We want to make sure everything is as clear as possible, so please review the information below!

When matchmaking, the game presents a ready check when a new match is found. The ready check is there to reduce the chances of AFK players in your games.

Matchmaking and then repeatedly declining matches or being AFK when matches are found makes it harder for everyone else to get good games. We know that things happen sometimes and that technical issues can occur, so we’re providing one decline with no penalty. However, if you fail to accept multiple matches we’ll apply the same penalties that are applied for leavers (5 minutes, then 15, then 30).

Once hero selection has begun, any player that exits the match will still be penalized for leaving. The remaining players will then also be ejected back to the lobby without penalty. These players may then re-queue to find another match.

We understand this may be confusing at first since players may find themselves unexpectedly back in the lobby. We'll have additional messaging in place soon to explain what's happening, but wanted to provide this update as quickly as possible to improve the matchmaking experience for all players.

As a reminder, it is against the code of conduct to consistently abandon matches as it is disruptive and disrespectful to your fellow players. 

Robot Entertainment | Community Manager

Comments

• I said it before and I'll say it again. 5, 10, or 30 minutes as your only punishment isn't keeping anyone from doing anything. That is a ridiculously short period of time, and I doubt any period would be sufficient. People would simply keep doing what they are doing and just wait the time out with an episode on Netflix.

Try making them play some 5v5 bot matches instead. This not only takes up people's time, like you already have in, but also forces them to do something during this time rather than just have fun in another game or watch netflix. This is an actual punishment that might actually motivate people to finish out their games and play cooperatively.
  • I don't think the focus is on the time being out here, as you say JstLink the time is not really an issue.  I think the way that being placed back into a lobby is a very nice way to work around this.  So, if the same person declines twice then you have an additional five minutes where you won't have that person again and a penalty free re-entrance to the lobby. 

I honestly think this system will help out quite a bit, especially as more players get to the game.
  • WithoutQuestionWithoutQuestion Member, Early Access
    JstLink said:
    I said it before and I'll say it again. 5, 10, or 30 minutes as your only punishment isn't keeping anyone from doing anything. That is a ridiculously short period of time, and I doubt any period would be sufficient. People would simply keep doing what they are doing and just wait the time out with an episode on Netflix.

Try making them play some 5v5 bot matches instead. This not only takes up people's time, like you already have in, but also forces them to do something during this time rather than just have fun in another game or watch netflix. This is an actual punishment that might actually motivate people to finish out their games and play cooperatively.
    This has actually proven very effective in other MOBA-type games so I'm not sure why you're trying to insinuate this game will be a special case lol.
  • RinboxRinbox Member, War Mage Founder, Early Access
    yay for this!! thank you Robot!

Once hero selection has begun, any player that exits the match will still be penalized for leaving. The remaining players will then also be ejected back to the lobby without penalty. These players may then re-queue to find another match.
  • I agree, love this feature!

Once hero selection has begun, any player that exits the match will still be penalized for leaving. The remaining players will then also be ejected back to the lobby without penalty. These players may then re-queue to find another match.

• Harmonia said:

Wait so remaining players that didn't leave at hero selection will be put back into lobby... but we won't be requeue'd automatically? So.. we will then need to wait another 5-10 minutes for a ready check for another match? =/ I'd rather you put us back in queue with priority  at least to get another quick hero selection...
  • ScizSciz Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Priority auto-requeue is something they want to do, it just didn't make it into this patch.
  • so basically survival match making will never work again? its been over 2 weeks since ive gotten a full game and most of the time its 3 or less and I don't wanna play that match, looks like its solo queueing only from now on
  • Thank GAWD! :D 
  • GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
  • I dont mind the penalty for declining a match as long as you guys fixed the issue where only 3 of the 5 players that accepted the match make it to the lobby. Or fix the difficulty level of each map so it is actually winnable with only 3 players.
  • DaRip74DaRip74 Member, Early Access
    Speaking of dcs, could you replace dcs with a bot?
    or fill 5th slot with a bot? so its not 4v5

(id rather have an annoying bot that a dced player)

• rather than only being ejected to the lobby, could it be made so you'd then be put back into your original place in the queue? some matches take about 4-5 minutes just to find a game, and if someone leaves, you then have to sit through the 4-5 minutes again. everyone else in the lobby should just be put in there original queue position link how when someone says 'no' to the ready check
  • Beastwolf1Beastwolf1 Member, Early Access
    Loving how becoming a higher level makes it so I matchmake with less people, really incentivises me to level up further so I can do 2 person matches.And in the event this only forum I can find related to matchmaking has to be about people leaving, let them leave, penalise them if they leave mid game.

• Harmonia said:
    Matchmaking and then repeatedly declining matches or being AFK when matches are found makes it harder for everyone else to get good games.
    We are declining matches because we can't find good games.   im barely level 30 and on top of the matchmaking now taking forever, it only asks me to join games with 2 - 3 people every single time.  i dont want to play with an incomplete team- why should i be punished for that?

Harmonia said:
    However, if you fail to accept multiple matches we’ll apply the same penalties that are applied for leavers (5 minutes, then 15, then 30).

I.. can't even believe this.  So your matchmaking system can't offer me a game I want, but will penalize me for declining games that i won't enjoy?  This is just laughable.  Its like you guys want us to play a different game.  Every time i get an early leaver penalty for this nonsense, i open up a different game and play that instead.  and what happens, every time?  hours later i realize i completely forgot about OMDU. in fact last week i actually ended up buying a competitors product and put well over 50 hours into over it-- and that is money, and time, that i had originally intended on spending with you guys- but instead, you'd rather punish me due to your own matchmaking system's shortcomings.  that's ok- your competitor was glad to have my business.

i know this game is still early in its life-cycle, and i know things will get changed around, but as it is right now, your matchmaking system is pathetic, and is turning a lot of people away from what is genuinely a fun game.  im serious- load up the client and go into the lobby and ask the public chatters what how they feel about the matchmaking.

and yes, i am aware you can add friends and do your own thing that way- the problem i have is that all of the friends i had added have already long stopped playing, and i try to go into the public chat to add more but its more of the same-- everyone i add stops logging in to play.  it already seems like this might be a sinking ship and its barely left the harbor.