Survival 5 star guide

edited July 2016 in Community Guides
Acknowledgement

Thank Gorkster, Surrena and Viruss for spending time with me to explore the strategies for these 5 star lvl 100 maps.

Motivation

Unlike siege, I don't think there should be a guide for survival games, since there isn't right or wrong about playing. It's all about figuring out your best strategy to play this game. However, the recent patch implemented the 5 star system which requires the player to meet the elite time. This has limited the trap and gear choices and made a guide necessary. I'm not saying our way is the best way, but it is a viable way for you to achieve 5 star on lvl 100 maps. If you have better suggestions or different opinions, you are more than welcome to post your response in the replies.

Loadout preparation

Gear: I use Ring of storms and firewall bracers to maximize damage output.

Guardian: make sure you bring the home guardians to enable double HP and attack. and bring multiple guardians for the same location if you need heavy tanking.

Traps: We used these traps in our runs, Flip trap, spike wall, wall blade/wall charger (you can choose one of them), scorcher, vicious tar, barricade, greatwall, cursed ground, ballista, dragon lance. That's a total of 10 traps. You don't need to have them all, just make sure your group has them. But it definitely helps if multiple persons have the same trap. For example, if your team only has one person with the cursed ground, that person's money will be quite limited to spam cursed ground and nothing else. This will often cost you a game where you need cursed ground in multiple locations but that specific person can't be everywhere at the same time.

BTW, we used all T7 traps except my Vicious tar is T5. I don't think you can do 5 star with damage traps below T7.

Traits: I will talk about this part in hero selection.

Consumables: This is very important. Make sure all three of you bring scroll of unchained. You can't do 5 star without it. For another slot you need to bring potion of luck. Since power generator has been nerfed to nearly useless, this potion is the best way to gather early money. Just remember to drink one before you unchain on enemy heroes or facing large minion wave. We consumed around 40-50 in total per 5 star map.

Hero preparation

I don't wanna say any hero is a must to have, but so far I haven't figured out a way to do cliffside and unchained without dobbin. The tunnel is just too useful. It's also useful in crogon and surrounded where you have to defend multiple gates.

Another hero I highly recommend stinkeye. I may be biased since I mainly play him in survival. But after this patch he has been buffed too good for survival to pass. If you trait correctly with some help of mana well, he can stun minions in one place nearly forever. Plus he has natural combo enabler. His totems are just too good when combined with other traps and player damages. We hit combo 11 in a 3 man group, with potion of luck we get around 150 coin per kill.

His traits include wall building PHD (actually not that useful since your main killboxes cannot contain barricades, but since there isn't a better replacement, I still carry it just in case of fire ogres), strange sense of humor (plain 10% more damage, no reason not to take), one with traps and doesn't play well with others (both give 1 mana/sec, this is very important because it enables stinkeye to spam stuns without worring about mana)

His weavers are TGTT, focus on spamming the stun. This new patch give his bowling ball to 6 so you dont need to choose weavers for it. Additional damage from another tyranny totem is always useful in 5 star survival.

His slow totem is slightly useful in the beginning of the game, when all of you need to spam z and rush to the entrance, that little speed boost will buy you a little marginal time.

His bowling ball is superior in avalanche, unchained and cliffside due to the long range. In the latter two maps you can place them facing the gate for more ranged damage.

His primary attack doesn't scatter after a few shots, which makes him a long range sniper, ideal for dealing with heroes from afar.

As for the last hero, you can choose from oziel (great survivability in survival and hero killer), smolder (main dps), or max (when you need some trap but don't have more than one person with it in your group, you need to have that person choose max to benefit from cheap traps to spam it)

Communication preparation

Real time communication is a must. We use Voip software

General rules

Spam Z in the beginning and all the following breaks.

You need to build killboxes as near to entrances as possible. Therefore, instead of one large killbox, you'd rather want several small killboxes, sometimes 4 or 5 traps with a player defending is good enough to hold one gate alone. This requires your damage traps have to be T7.

Positioning yourself is very important. You need to constantly change your position based on your teammate's callouts

Remember key waves, such as troll wave, sapper wave, and hero wave. Be prepared for it, save your unchain for it, and plan to use scroll of unchained for it.

Rerouting has to be restricted to minimum. You can't afford to let minions walk the long path.

Since most of your killboxes will be built in front of the gates, there really aren't that many optimal locations with both walls and ceilings available. Therefore your team has to have strong floor traps. The ideal case would be at least two persons with cursed grounds and scorchers.

Avoid barricade in your killbox as much as you can. You don't have extra money to deal with replacing barricades destroyed by sappers. Plus, every floor location is precious, you want output damage as much as possible.

Some maps require the starting gate to be at a specific location. For example, you need to restart the map of avalanche until you get the first gate on the right. We tried several times but it seems not possible if your starting gate is at top. You'd also have to restart the map of surrounded until you get 2nd gate open on left, because sappers will show on wave 15 from the 2nd gate and our killbox cant afford sappers to appear on right.

Killboxes for all maps

Cliffside and Unchained

Easiest 5 star of all maps, make sure to have dobbin tunnel between two lanes. Call out for help when enemy heroes showed up. Tower lane should stretch out of killbox and damage/kill minions on the road as much as possible. Normally you can do it on both starting lanes, but if you feel it too difficult, you may restart the map until you got the opening gate to be the shorter lane (tower lane for cliffside, helmet lane for unchained fortress) to save a few seconds.

1) make sure the bowling ball is facing outside, so that minions are damaged before they enter the killbox
2) spam more ballista/lances

Avalanche
You need to restart the game until the starting gate is on the right, if they start from the top, minions run too long for the first 3 waves and you won't have enough time.

One person take care of left, one hold the choke point of top left, one hold middle.Heavy build killbox on the right lane and leave it for most of the game. You only go to right when boss shows up

1) more wall traps
2) another view of the right killbox, spam more ballista/lances here
3) the way we reroute guarantees the minimum path. You still need to kill minions as close to entrance as possible though, this rerouting is just for safety purposes
4) bowling ball location, also another bowling ball from the opposite direction that didn't captured in this screenshot
5) spam more ballistas
6) minions from the top left need to die before they exit this small killbox with the help of dock guardian. if they constantly run pass this to the middle you are doing something wrong. spam more ballistas on the top right ceiling
7) these flips help a lot by filtering small minions
8) kill large minions in this small box, if they run into kitchen already you are doing something wrong

Crogon keep
another easy map. one person on top left, one on bottom right, another take care of top and left. dobbin's tunnel helps a lot in this map.

1) spam more ballistas
2) this ceiling can also be used to spam ballistas

Surrounded
we reroute everything to the blacksmith, also minions do need to die before they even reach it. just build many small killboxes along the way

have one person defend left, one defend bottom, another hold blacksmith

1) barricade these two spots, you can use greatwall to save trap cap
2) the top front gate can be spammed ballistas on this ceiling
3) just like avalanche, this is the ballista spot
4) more wall traps
5) this guardian will be on heavy tank duty
6) more wall traps and more ballistas to stop sappers
7) by barricading this way, all minions will come out of the closest exit and enter your small killbox here

Thank devs for designing this 5 star challenge. I had a lot of fun playing it. Please add elite time to solo and 2 man as well. Please consider combo also being one of the factors of 5 star system. And most importantly, please make player's performance directly associated with rewards. Currently a 4 star game rewards less cores than a 3 star game because the latter took more time. This game should not be rewarding player based on how much time was spent. Please encourage creativity and efficiency rather than putting down a steam trap leaving one minion alive and afk for 2 hours.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    This was informative.  Would you recommend tweaking killboxes?  For example I see you built in the very front of the Cliffside clash killboxes, what if you built in the back of the killbox to take adv of the ceilings.  Is there a big difference between the front and back? 

Also you mention knowing what waves have what minions.  I dont play these enough to have them memorized.  Is that something that can be added to the guide?  Or at least just key waves to watch out for?
  • The general principle is that any walk time that is unnecessary is bad and is going to threaten your par time. Especially the 2-lane maps' times are dominated by the already relatively long run distance into the killbox. So any more run distance is bad. Also lances are so good as they get damage into areas where you don't have ceilings yet.
  • you can't afford to let minions walk too long if you build your killbox in the back

As for the waves, I just memorize key waves like wave 2,4,15 in avalanche and wave 2, 15 in surrounded, simply because we lost so much time on these waves. But as for specific waves, Gorkster had them written down. I don't know if he wants to post them here.
  • This was informative.  Would you recommend tweaking killboxes?  For example I see you built in the very front of the Cliffside clash killboxes, what if you built in the back of the killbox to take adv of the ceilings.  Is there a big difference between the front and back? 

Also you mention knowing what waves have what minions.  I dont play these enough to have them memorized.  Is that something that can be added to the guide?  Or at least just key waves to watch out for?
    You literally have to kill them as they walk in...sometimes even go outside and kill them as they come out of spawnpoint.
  • Here are my notes for waves for Avalanche. Waves 1-2 are trivial so nothing noted there. Only most critical aspects are noted down. 1st refers to the first gate opening, 2nd to the second gate opening etc. 

Wave 3 Heroes
    Wave 4 2nd: Trolls
    Wave 5 2nd: Sappers and Granadiers, 2 heavies front, 1st long
    Wave 6 Kobolds + Trolls
    Wave 7 2nd most heavies, 1rd 3d shield bearers
    Wave 8 all small phased
    Wave 9 all gates heavies
    Wave 10 1st slowflake
    Wave 11 4th last strong
    Wave 12 4th strong
    Wave 13 all smalls, 4th last
    Wave 14 4th last
    Wave 15 Orfun 3rd strong
    Wave 16 4th last

• Surrena said:
    This was informative.  Would you recommend tweaking killboxes?  For example I see you built in the very front of the Cliffside clash killboxes, what if you built in the back of the killbox to take adv of the ceilings.  Is there a big difference between the front and back? 

You literally have to kill them as they walk in...sometimes even go outside and kill them as they come out of spawnpoint.
    So the difference of those few steps from the front to the back of the 1st killbox is that critical????
  • think about it this way, you have to go through 14 or 16 waves, if minions take 4 more seconds per wave (difference between front and back killbox), you will be 1 min late for elite time
  • edited July 2016
    Yes the elite times are crazy, which is why it's impossible to solo a lot of them, unless they're lower level maps (and even then, some are just undoable). Even with building uber powerful killboxes at the very begining of the tunnels, it was not enough to get to elite time, I was about 1 minute off in unchained or cliffside :/
  • unchained fort   level 72 is easy to solo elite time