New Daily Quests

Comments

• LemartesLemartes Member, Early Access, Apprentice Founder
    So I took a chance and rerolled my daily the other day and got 10 Mountain Trolls.  Had to skip that, so today I reroll and get 10 order archers. Tried 2 maps, killed a bunch of Archers and nothing.

What are Order Archers ? 

This really should have been fixed by now.  I've already stopped playing daily, and pretty close to dropping this down to casual once a week thing now if the daily chest is going to be 50/50 for me.
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    Order archers are part of order spawns they are humans wearing helmets and shoot non-fire arrows. Academy sewers has a bunch of them. If you want something low level, check out throne room for order archers.
  • nronksrnronksr Member
    We all know the problem.  It's a matter of how long to fix it.  Honestly, I stopped playing this game already.  I'm lucky if I even login anymore for the login bonus alone... maybe 3x a week.  My interest in OMDU is almost gone.  If things haven't changed by the next patch, I'll go my way and play any of the other thousand games I currently own and call this one a loss.  Was fun while it lasted but the idea of a daily quest and achieving a goal to get the box and skulls at least was entertaining.  When it becomes something like a taskmaster, I no longer enjoy, and thus it stops being a game.  That is when people need to move on to something else.  I at least bothered to login to post... so there is at least my .02.
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    nronksr said:
    We all know the problem.  It's a matter of how long to fix it.  Honestly, I stopped playing this game already.  I'm lucky if I even login anymore for the login bonus alone... maybe 3x a week.  My interest in OMDU is almost gone.  If things haven't changed by the next patch, I'll go my way and play any of the other thousand games I currently own and call this one a loss.  Was fun while it lasted but the idea of a daily quest and achieving a goal to get the box and skulls at least was entertaining.  When it becomes something like a taskmaster, I no longer enjoy, and thus it stops being a game.  That is when people need to move on to something else.  I at least bothered to login to post... so there is at least my .02.
    I find myself saying this alot, but the game is in beta. It's the time to figure things like the quests out. I understand they're frustrating, but you have to remember that it is one of the things they found important enough to test before throwing it into the game and just saying it's good.

My advice to anyone that finds any one part of the game absolutely appalling is to stop playing, and try again next patch. rinse repeat for each patch. But for realzies, the beta testing is so they can find out what isn't working. Yes it's frustrating, but you're literally making the game better in the long run.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • Agreed @Juicy, feedback can be useful if done the right way. Some people prefer to complain about what they are not getting out of it rather than trying to see the game as a whole and reporting and fixing problems. Perhaps some of this can be attributed to the time between patches, however this time delay is required to find and report problems. 

Good points raised so far in this thread:
    - problem in communicating daily/weekly/biweekly quest 
    - problem in determining where to find minions to compete quests
    - reward balance 

I don't care if you feel the need to tell me you stopped playing. That does not help fix the problem.
  • OmenemOOmenemO Member, Early Access
    yobbobear said:

I don't care if you feel the need to tell me you stopped playing. That does not help fix the problem.
    Eventually the game won't be in beta and there will still be changes that will be made that put the player base off.  People letting the devs know when they quit gives the devs an insight into how long they will have to rectify issues & prioritize accordingly.

Writing off information provided, even if it is a player saying they're quitting is short sighted, doing so publicly is stupid.
  • JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    OmenemO said:
    yobbobear said:

Eventually the game won't be in beta and there will still be changes that will be made that put the player base off.  People letting the devs know when they quit gives the devs an insight into how long they will have to rectify issues & prioritize accordingly.

Writing off information provided, even if it is a player saying they're quitting is short sighted, doing so publicly is stupid.
    They can see player numbers though. One person quitting doesn't make or break a game, and I promise you they have metrics they can check for how many people are playing daily (Hell, steam provides those publicly I believe). Metrics like that are far more accurate and useful than one person (or even a small group of people) stating they aren't playing anymore.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for people saying that a change is bad and they hate it. That definitely helps the devs pinpoint issues. But there's no point in over-dramatizing and complaining over and over again about it. Once or twice sure, use it to spark conversations between people if you're playing in matchmaker. But there's no reason to constantly re-iterate it.

Let me put it this way, to me (and maybe it's just me): We got a dev response that they know it's bad, that they intend to change it. No specifics, but enough to know that it will be different. At that point, once again, to me, the topic changes. It's no longer "These changes suck", it should be "They know these changes suck, how should they fix it?" There's a natural progression, going from determining a problem, to figuring out how to change it. The issue to me is that often times, a thread gets started with the idea of determining an issue (X sucks, lets determine exactly why) - and it never gets off it. That's fine, but really what more is being contributed to the topic? What reason does any individual have to actually look at the thread (devs or players alike), they get the entire thing from the first few sentences.

Maybe it's just me, I know I have an over-focus on efficiency, but to me it just seems like a waste. Instead of complaining, turn it into constructive criticism and how to solve a problem. Hell, you could even be the reason something gets changed (or changed as well as it does). And that goes for beta or non-beta; the difference to me is I expect a launched game to be more transparent and on the ball. In Beta they can go "We wanted to try this out and see what happens" - a month later it changes because it sucked. On a live game, I expect either a "test-realm" or PTR-esque area, or I expect changes to happen faster in more of a quick-fix fashion. That's my personal expectancies.
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.
  • HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    Lemartes said:
    This really should have been fixed by now.  I've already stopped playing daily, and pretty close to dropping this down to casual once a week thing now if the daily chest is going to be 50/50 for me.
    We've got improvements coming in the next update, which we stated in this thread (and others) several times. Patch notes will be discussed on tomorrow's IA episode, so tune in!
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • yobbobearyobbobear Member
    edited March 16
    @Juicy I almost replied to that myself, (wrote a reply but deleted it before posting) but thought I would leave it a few days. However you have raised every point I had originally written, although maybe articulated it a little bit better than I originally did. 

One further point was that being an Open Beta "tester/player", I feel puts some duty on me to give back to the game. Providing constructive feedback or alternative options is one way to do this. Unfortunately I have taken this off topic. 

Should there be more co-op play rewards?
    Eg
    - play x amount of matchmaker games
    - get an assist on a boss kill
    - heal another team member

• LiacuLiacu Member
    Harmonia said:

We've got improvements coming in the next update, which we stated in this thread (and others) several times. Patch notes will be discussed on tomorrow's IA episode, so tune in!
    Could the developer team be more transparent about all upcoming changes to the game? It seems like the time between updates is fairly long and I feel like we could've avoided this kind of situation if the community was informed beforehand. I know merely theorycrafting is no substitute for actual testing but there would at least be a possibility of averting a bad idea.

Having these new quests that are also multiplayer unfriendly for an entire month has been a real drag.
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    Liacu said:
    Harmonia said:

Could the developer team be more transparent about all upcoming changes to the game? It seems like the time between updates is fairly long and I feel like we could've avoided this kind of situation if the community was informed beforehand. I know merely theorycrafting is no substitute for actual testing but there would at least be a possibility of averting a bad idea.

Having these new quests that are also multiplayer unfriendly for an entire month has been a real drag.
    It's not easy to quickly patch the game to change things like quests.

We have been very transparent with this issue.  I encourage you to watch Insider Access for more information.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • I have now played many games with the current quest system, and while I agree finding maps with certain minion types can be annoying I think the biggest and easiest fix to the system is simply the assist system.  Everyone has gone over their frustrations with the system and as I posted earlier it was a big factor in how much I played this game.  Simply adding assist credit would solve multiplayer and trap kill issues significantly, yet still keep down the set and forget nature of just using trap kills.   This issue is important to me as I was very much for the idea of varied quests, and this was a stark reminder as to the importance of implementation.  

The other potential change would be to vary the numbers as it pertains to the type of kill, but even there the assist credit system is still more important for easing frustrations in a multiplayer game.  To be clear, the importance of not penalizing players for multiplayer and trap kills in a game about multiplayer and trap use is very important, and any variety of quest credit that does so is in my opinion a bad idea.  The game does track kills and trap kills separately, but if the kills require killing blows by the player I think you will get the same level of frustration no matter what you change.
  • yobbobearyobbobear Member
    edited March 19
    On Insider Access, it was stated that in the patch following this one, Assists will count towards quest kill goals. So that means if a trap steals your kill you still get credit for it. Now you just have to wait for the next patch. I am happy with this, as it is something I have brought up earlier. 

For this current patch, really hard to find minions have been removed from quests. This should please more people also. 
  • ShadeDevShadeDev Member, Robot Entertainment, Early Access, Apprentice Founder, Featured Developer
    edited March 19
    yobbobear said:
    On Insider Access, it was stated that in the patch following this one, Assists will count towards quest kill goals. So that means if a trap steals your kill you still get credit for it. Now you just have to wait for the next patch. I am happy with this, as it is something I have brought up earlier. 

For this current patch, really hard to find minions have been removed from quests. This should please more people also. 
    Yup, and we have also made quests easier.
    Doug Houserman
    Robot Entertainment | Lead Balance Designer
  • Juicy said:
    Spydalisk said:
    Zarcos said:
    Spydalisk said:
    I think there's a huge difference between "kill 500 orcs" and "kill 20 fire ogres". Especially when trap kills don't count, nor do allied kills. Killing orcs can be done on just about any map, and you are pretty much garanteed to make progress every game. Fire giants? You have to go to rift lord for that... And then, the maps that offer fire ogres are few. I've yet to solo Thuricvod, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of maps. And then you need to kill them yourself? So even on the one difficulty they spawn in, even if you solo it, there's still so few per map that there's a good chance traps will KS them all, and that at the end of the map, which probably took about 20-30 minutes, you are no further ahead than you were. So you just have to grind the same map over and over and over for a week until you finally get it.

That's... not fun at all. If at least it counter trap kills, as well as other player's kill for which you contributed to combo points, it wouldn't be as aggravating... But overall, the kill objective for the quests that deal with rare foes needs to be way, way down. Bosses twice, max, fire giants and the like thrice, max.
    Fire ogres are also in master mode. I know for sure they spawn in the Stables of Eventide in Master and I'm sure their are others as well, but can't think of them off the top of my head. Also, most people don't know this, but some of the unstable rifts can spawn some minions required for various quests depending on the map.
    They don't appear as "notable enemies". Heavy fire fiends, fire fiends, heavy ice orcs, urza the fire lord, and swifthooves are noted, only. If they are in any masters map, the battlegrounds summaries offer no hint of it.
    Those unfortunately are not all inclusive.
    Well, I tried the map, and saw no fire ogre whatsoever. It's possible the traps killed them while I soloed another lane, but I'm rather skeptical.
  • Juicy said:
    Spydalisk said:
    Zarcos said:
    Spydalisk said:
    I think there's a huge difference between "kill 500 orcs" and "kill 20 fire ogres". Especially when trap kills don't count, nor do allied kills. Killing orcs can be done on just about any map, and you are pretty much garanteed to make progress every game. Fire giants? You have to go to rift lord for that... And then, the maps that offer fire ogres are few. I've yet to solo Thuricvod, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of maps. And then you need to kill them yourself? So even on the one difficulty they spawn in, even if you solo it, there's still so few per map that there's a good chance traps will KS them all, and that at the end of the map, which probably took about 20-30 minutes, you are no further ahead than you were. So you just have to grind the same map over and over and over for a week until you finally get it.

That's... not fun at all. If at least it counter trap kills, as well as other player's kill for which you contributed to combo points, it wouldn't be as aggravating... But overall, the kill objective for the quests that deal with rare foes needs to be way, way down. Bosses twice, max, fire giants and the like thrice, max.
    Fire ogres are also in master mode. I know for sure they spawn in the Stables of Eventide in Master and I'm sure their are others as well, but can't think of them off the top of my head. Also, most people don't know this, but some of the unstable rifts can spawn some minions required for various quests depending on the map.
    They don't appear as "notable enemies". Heavy fire fiends, fire fiends, heavy ice orcs, urza the fire lord, and swifthooves are noted, only. If they are in any masters map, the battlegrounds summaries offer no hint of it.
    I played the map, and saw not a single fire ogre.

I got even worse later, though. "Kill Snowflake the Yeti x3". That boss is only present on a single map/difficulty: Avalanche (Master). Had to farm that map 5 or 6 times to get it. Once I got KSed by a partner, the rest  I soloed the map instead, but got KSed by traps I guess. I could swear that once I got her, but the next day the kill was removed.

If at least trap kills counted...
  • Juicy said:
    Spydalisk said:
    Zarcos said:
    Spydalisk said:

Well, I tried the map, and saw no fire ogre whatsoever. It's possible the traps killed them while I soloed another lane, but I'm rather skeptical.
  • Juicy said:
    Spydalisk said:
    Zarcos said:
    Spydalisk said:

I played the map, and saw not a single fire ogre.

I got even worse later, though. "Kill Snowflake the Yeti x3". That boss is only present on a single map/difficulty: Avalanche (Master). Had to farm that map 5 or 6 times to get it. Once I got KSed by a partner, the rest  I soloed the map instead, but got KSed by traps I guess. I could swear that once I got her, but the next day the kill was removed.

If at least trap kills counted...
  • For my first patch 1.9 quests I got "deal 20k damage with traps" not bad, "Kill 200 Northmun" had to spend time figuring out wtf a northmun was when I thought this problem was being fixed, and "summon 100 gnolls with blackpaw..." which is just as tedious as some of the worst quests from 1.8.  I will have to see how the rest of the quests go this week but, so far" I am not impressed with the changes.

• AsbynAsbyn Member, Early Access
    All of my daily quests today were a right pain in the behind, as well. I'm really starting to think that they don't understand that when we, as the vocal playerbase, say that it shouldn't take more than two to three matches to complete all three daily quests each day, that that's a qualitative statement, not a subjective opinion.

Regardless, I can only suggest that they actually read through this thread a few more times, because this is clearly not what we wanted. I quite simply shouldn't have to complete seven matches to do my dailies as I did today, even though I had made some extra time to play today since I was itching to get back to it after a week's hiatus.

P.S. Also, don't tie kill credit to assists, as you said you'd be doing in your last Insider Access. Just don't. Just give us credit when an ally or trap kills an appropriate enemy — straight up. The current predicament and your upcoming "solution" are more than just unfun: they're explicitly anti-fun. Just let us play the game how we want to play it — it's that simple.