Does each tick from a fire-based trap (scorcher, brimstone, etc) help a trap w/ heat activated trigg

trigger* trap part trigger more than once?

Best Answer

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Accepted Answer
    I actually talked about this with some dev, not sure if it was on a stream or just chat. What they said:

Leaving aside the ballistas that have a different activation, for all the traps that can be equipped with a kinetic reclaimer or heat activated trigger:

The trigger only reactivates traps when a minion on the "on-fire" or "ragdoll/flying" state enters the trap range of activation. Meaning that if a minion is set on fire or flipped while in the trap's range, it won't activate the trigger.

However, I personally have seen a few cases where the last happens, but it's hard to tell if it was just an edge situation or partially in the range, etc.

As a last personal note, the fire ticks don't really seem to have any effect on anything per se. The damage from fire is dealt because of a minion has a "debuff" which is "on-fire". Looks like while you have said debuff, you take damage every X seconds. That could be easily observed when Smolder Bot was around, but you can still see it if you get hit by a fire mage or some other fire minion.

Another different and maybe more tricky question would be: Does a minion that has 3 different "on-fire" debuffs (from different traps/sources) have more chances to activate the heat activated trigger?

Answers

• TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Hard to tell 100% sure but I'd say that it doesn't.

The Fire DoT can be stacked multiple times and the ticks happen during the same effect along it's duration.
    I also think that the Trigger works when a minion enters a trap area of activation / range, so I think that the ticks don't really have anything to do with the activation of the Trigger.

A harder question would be if a minion is on fire when entering the trap range, the fire effect expires and it gets it again, would that affet twice the trigger? 

I have no actual reliable source or writing about any of the above, just my observations and experiences =/
  • csward53csward53 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm wondering this myself. Also, how long does something need to be "on fire" before you get the damage boost. Can you place once trap (say, brimstone) in the same "zone" as a naphtha sprayer and have it count for the extra damage or does it need to be a full square back?
  • Also wondering this. It would be great if Shade or someone could make a obscure mechanics explanation thread.
  • Bump. Yep, I'm still curious.
    Looks like we will need a dev on this one.
  • The trigger only reactivates traps when a minion on the "on-fire" or "ragdoll/flying" state enters the trap range of activation. Meaning that if a minion is set on fire or flipped while in the trap's range, it won't activate the trigger.

Another different and maybe more tricky question would be: Does a minion that has 3 different "on-fire" debuffs (from different traps/sources) have more chances to activate the heat activated trigger?
    Well, dangit. Looks like my plan of using a firecracker with the sole purpose to trigger multiple traps at once just went down the drain, heh. Thanks, anyways.

And yeah, that'd be a even more interesting question than mine. Considering on how you can't make minions bounce back and forward on multiple physics traps -- I believe the answer will be "no".
  • GustavoM said:
    The trigger only reactivates traps when a minion on the "on-fire" or "ragdoll/flying" state enters the trap range of activation. Meaning that if a minion is set on fire or flipped while in the trap's range, it won't activate the trigger.

Well, dangit. Looks like my plan of using a firecracker with the sole purpose to trigger multiple traps at once just went down the drain, heh. Thanks, anyways.

And yeah, that'd be a even more interesting question than mine. Considering on how you can't make minions bounce back and forward on multiple physics traps -- I believe the answer will be "no".
    Most of the time you're better off using Light Pressure Plate so physics traps aren't wasted on heavies anyway.
  • sashimiaksashimiak Member, Moderator, Robot Entertainment
    I can confirm that a minion with a burning debuff from several different sources does not have an increased chance of triggering the heat trigger. The trigger just checks if the enemy is on fire when entering the range of the trap it's slotted in and if it is, it uses rng to determine weather it will get triggered or not. The amount of burning debuffs does not influence this rng.
    German Community Manager