least favorite modifier?

Here are some modifiers that I hate, don't even want to play the key with them

mana drain: modifier like double cooldown on 2nd/3rd/4th skills is fine, because it's just banning a few hero choices. But banning all heroes with mana? that basically limits hero choice to brass/temper/yi-lin. That's like banning 85% of the heroes, I think it is too much

coin drain: 3x or 2x cost on wall/floor/ceiling traps are fine, because it's just banning a few trap choices. But banning all traps? what's the fun in a tower defense game without towers?

what would be your least favorite modifier? feedback welcomed!

Comments

• The ONLY modifier I don't like is the COIN DRAIN, it robs off all the fun I would had, even worse if it's a big map.

Other modifiers might go into a impossible combo but I don't mind doing them, as they force you to play with certain methods you normally won't, so a change of taste. 

For instance: 
    Mana drain - you don't need necessarily to go for brass/temper/yi-lin, a lot of heroes can do well if you pay attention to your mana management / bring mana well / trait / mage clove.
    No-go-break - so you need to plan ahead.
    Spawn protection - unless it's Gates of Thuricvod combine with expansive cades + physics, you can always find a place for killbox(es).
  • No go-break : Since I spawn in late most of the time I can't play any keys with it on. All we need to fix it is you cannot move until everyone presses Z. 
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    New? Here are some Game Tipz.
  • mana drain: modifier like double cooldown on 2nd/3rd/4th skills is fine, because it's just banning a few hero choices. But banning all heroes with mana? that basically limits hero choice to brass/temper/yi-lin. That's like banning 85% of the heroes, I think it is too much

coin drain: 3x or 2x cost on wall/floor/ceiling traps are fine, because it's just banning a few trap choices. But banning all traps? what's the fun in a tower defense game without towers?

That's a really interesting point and I agree, it does limit certain heroes completely and like @KenBear said, it can also be resolved, somewhat, by more intensive micromanagement in game. I think the best way to alter these modifications, without taking away too much from the challenge and hopefully retaining the fun, is to have them activate periodically - similar to the "Primary Knockback" modifier.
    - So in context, if the mana or health drain happened periodically where it aggressively consumed your mana or health (as a percentage) for a set time, like 10 seconds.
    - Another idea is if it gave you a countdown/warning before your mana drain would activate; this would allow you to preemptively switch your play style to be more conservative, e.g. retreating temporarily, fighting near mana wells or saving your mana etc. This would give you a challenge whilst still being fair. 

With the coin drain, I think it should be aggressively active when your hero is not in "combat". Currently, the coin drain is constantly active meaning unless you actively place traps as you go along, you can lose a lot of coin and subsequently, a lot of traps. This can be quite unfair especially if you're focusing, heavily, on CC. Being out of combat would suggest that either there are no minions (because you're in between waves) or you are choosing not to fight them (because you're placing traps). By having your coin drain only when you're out of combat, it only penalises you for not fighting as oppose to constantly penalising you throughout the entire game. This makes the modifier more fair as it enables you to keep more coin for strategies. However, for this to happen, the combat mechanism would have to be reworked so that the hero only shows "in combat" when they are attacking a minion or rift. If I recall correctly, Gabriel is the only hero who shows "in combat" when she is being attacked - the other heroes show "in combat" if they use any of their attacks. 

My only concern with the "No-Go-break" modifier is that it starts as soon as you join the game. The idea of having to build you killbox elsewhere is fun in concept but it really hurts when a player is unavailable for whatever reason (e.g. afk, lag etc.) I think keeping the initial "Go-break" would be more fair; it would pressure the players to build killboxes in different places when future minion gates open up. Any map where you cannot create one lane (like Shark Island), would keep the challenge in this modifier as you'd have to quickly create separate killboxes. 

"Expensive barricades" is my least favourite; I feel is a bit unfair on particular maps like Restricted Section. My solution would be either be to:
    - Have a less aggressive additional cost for barricades.
    - Decrease the health of these barricades (on Master/Rift Lord maps), by having them weaker in theory you have to replace them more often. 

I find the "expensive wall/floor/ceiling traps" modifier really interesting because it looks like a nice challenge. But I think it is too generic and the lack of 'usable' traps can really hurt the game play. I'd rather see "expensive ice/fire/lightning/arcane traps" because it forces the player to change their strategy rather than go without key traps like the tar trap... just a thought. 
  • Coin drain is my least favorite.  You have to be very focused and sweaty to play keys with coin drain and it isn't, IMO, very fun.

Most other "least favorite" modifiers are situational (depending upon the map).  Expensive barricades on Midnight Market?  Pass. 
  • healing aura
  • Coin Drain, by far. It doesn't feel challenging or interesting to me, just makes me feel annoyed the entire map. It also guarantees I'll play that key solo so my gold isn't split anymore than it already is.  I have several keys that I just stopped playing (or never started) because they got the Coin Drain modifier and I don't enjoy playing it.

The only other one that I feel is an issue is No Go-Breaks. I actually find it interesting and challenging, but I know some players simply can't play with this modifier due to the game starting before they actually connect to the game.

I feel like I can work around Mana Drain fairly well, gear or high tier mana well traps can easily negate it. 
  • Coin Drain is definitely the worst. No Go Breaks isn't that bad imo, combined with things like Coin Drain it's a pain, but meh. I think it's pretty fun. It's the right kind of rush, while Coin Drain is the worst kind of rush.
  • As most people have said, coin drain is among the worst. However there is a combo that I hate even more (which should be fixed in my opinion) is the combo of Health Drain and No Map in Combat, which results in the map being permanently hidden for the whole match. This gets annoying as I do not remember for every map on every difficulty on which wave, which gate opens.