Single player is really broken in survival and impossible in endless

I played a lot of the first two games on steam and whem this game was anounced i was not interested because of siege mode. Got a ps4 last year and saw an article on a website, explaining that the game was changed and back to tower defense focus, so decided to give it a try. I played omd 2 mostly solo, and endless was the mode i enjoyed the most, because it was possible to aways learn something whem losing. Whem I started unchained and saw the mercenaries and unstable rifts I imediately disliked both, because they break our focus on dealing with waves; maps with more than 3 doors were also annoying because you have to move long distances, giving the impression that you are doing nothing more than running from point a to b. Now I'm at rift lord, at level 60 and the maps like Frostbite are not just hard... They are unbelievably frustrating. I really think frustration is a bad thing to feel whem you are trying to have some fun, and the reason to feel like this is the way random facts can separate you from victory. The combination of specific mercenaries and unstable rifts location can make you lose your par time so easily that the best thing to do is give up the game. Chaotic Kobold is terrible to deal with a controller, but it can be insanely frustranting to get both the Kobold and the assassin at wave 3 in frostbite, because the (useless, really) Pride assassin logo will pop onscreen making it impossible for you to aim your shoot at the annoying Kobold... Wave 4 comes and you have a lot of shielded runners that will pass for sure your traps, and an unstable rift that can spawn at the prison, the oposite side of the map. It's stressfull, and losing in a stressfull situation leads only to frustration... I'm not losing  because i have to change strategies, i'm losing because i was unlucky with mercenaries combination and unstable rifts... So I repeat the same thing for many games untill the planets and the moon align correctly and i get the easiest variations. On survival this is bad, but on endless, it's nonsense. Mercenaries will decide if you survive 20 or 30 waves. Just be Max and get the Gnoll guy + shield dwarf to lose instantly depending on your trap configuration...
I have even managed to survive the tedious clash royale progression of my traps without problems, but this ocasional win or lose is too much for me. I'll uninstall the game and move on, i saw some patch notes and many things were changed. Maybe in the future the game will be more friendly to the ones that play single (the bad ones like me, not the gods). Would it not more interesting for the game to be locked to multiplayer only?
I'm sure a lot of players are happy and find this feature a great adition to the game. To me they are bad, unbalanced and too random. I'm sure i can deal with them easily if I come back 10 levels stronger, with big game ballista level 7, but it's not challenging. Past omd games always felt like learning something, random and grind are not rewarding at all.
I'm waiting for OMD3 guys, please, get back to tower defense and drop free to play, it's todays cancer for players.

Comments

• If you watch Kefkafish on the official Orcs Must Die Twitch channel, you could get a far better understanding of the game through his videos. 

If you had watched any of his streams you will notice that he has 5 star completed Frostbite solo in less than 8:00. That is well below par time. 

The minions in a map scale health up according to how many players are in the match, so solo players have minions with the least amount of health. 

Futhermore the the use of consumables can make a big difference to your performance on a map. 

If if you want fun in a reduced difficulty then stick to Master levels or below. 
  • HagaramHagaram Member
    I would suggest going to YT and checking how others build this. In my case on any survive ice maps  brim, vtar, scorcher, spitfire, nafta + dragon lance or ballistas.

I play mostly solo, and don't think that solo is really broken in survival and impossible in endless. If you feel that way probably you just need new ideas for setting up your defences. YT is great for that.

Maybe your traps are underleveled because you spend your sculls on store deals?
    Don't use store deals till very endgame.

• YuannYuann Member
    Here is a link to the frostbite 5-star tutorial done at level 41 with most traps at tier 2 or 3 by a Chinese player.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzE2NjY0NTI4MA==.html?spm=a2h1n.8251843.playList.5!14~5~A&f=51334578&o=1
    There are more tutorials done by this player. Below is the link to the collection of tutorials on rift lord maps.
    http://list.youku.com/albumlist/show/id_51334578.html
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    That guy is no new player though. Hard to compare someone that has beat the game and have hudnreds hours in, even handicapped with a player on the same level with regular progression.

But yeah, it's possible, just very hard at under recommended level, arguably easier in party (this doesn't necessarily hold true in some situations)
  • Leshii79Leshii79 Member
    edited March 14
    Если вы не умеете играть, то при чем здесь игра? Просто смешно читать ваши проблемы - один игрок не успевает бегать к разным выходам и убивать наемников и порталы. К порталам и наемникам не нужно бегать их почти всегда может убить баллисты без вашего участия. И к выходам не нужно бегать - там нужно ставить ловушки и орки также умрут без вашего участия. А вы будете стоять на портале и курить. Так всегда заканчиваться игра в выживание. В бесконечном режиме на всех картах тоже довольно легко пройти всеми героями на 5 звезд и с разными тактиками. Урон игрока в три раза сильнее если он играет один. Рекомендую посмотреть это видео 
    Post edited by Leshii79 on
  • Regarding the Chaotic Kobold, my advice is to ignore him and let a guardian kill him. Chasing him isn't worth it. If he drops a crystal in your killbox, just kill the crystal. Clean the rest up during a Go break if you want to.

He makes that annoying noise to make you chase him. Don't fall for it . :)
  • YuannYuann Member
    That guy is no new player though. Hard to compare someone that has beat the game and have hudnreds hours in, even handicapped with a player on the same level with regular progression.

But yeah, it's possible, just very hard at under recommended level, arguably easier in party (this doesn't necessarily hold true in some situations)
    Actually, I heard from a player that u will take extra damage if u play a map with level below the recommended level. But I cannot confirm this.
  • Regarding the Chaotic Kobold, my advice is to ignore him and let a guardian kill him. ...
    Stablehand for the win.
  • cyberfailzorcyberfailzor Member
    edited March 15
    You are right to feel that way and you definitely can't be the only 1 feeling so, I too think those endless maps can't possibly be designed to be 5-starred by low levels, on a more helpful note, did you feel like you weren't dealing with runners properly?

Have you tried Grinders and Push Traps? What traps were you using? I often find myself getting overrun by bosses on t8+ chaos trials which is why I run the BGH ballista there, also, if you had it, Stablehand Guardian deals heavy slow on hit, so strong it often gets the Kobold stuck ending up in an easy (though slow) kill.

Also PC or PS4?
  • Regarding the Chaotic Kobold, my advice is to ignore him and let a guardian kill him. ...
    Stablehand for the win.
    Stablehand is boss!  Pretty much always use him.  Though, any of the CC guardians work pretty well if you don't happen to have him (eg, Bartender, Priest).
  • TeckTeck Member
    I actually don't personally agree with this sentiment.  I play almost exclusively solo and I have 5 starred every map on every difficulty.  A while back I even reinstalled OMD2! and have been trying to perfect each level there and I feel that I am having a much harder time.  Now I am rusty of course and the extensive amount of play I put into OMDU in the last year clearly puts me in a better position to do well there, but it is not a "slight" difference as far as I have experienced.  If I had to compare the 2 games over all, I would say that OMD2 is signfiicantly more difficult than OMDU but not over whelmingly so.  This being said, the first few attempts at OMD2 were definitely rough as I brushed off the cobwebs.  I would recommend doing a dive into some different OMDU streams to see what other's are doing to help you kick off some new techniques maybe?
  • OnusOnus Member
    The game isn't the problem, You're ignorance of the game is. The moment you realize that, Things will get SUPER easier for you. If you put in the effort to actually go out and learn the damn game, That is. 
  • Onus said:
    The game isn't the problem, You're ignorance of the game is. The moment you realize that, Things will get SUPER easier for you. If you put in the effort to actually go out and learn the damn game, That is. 
    Wow, you're sooo salty... Frustrated about something, maybe? I'll just ignore you because you not even read what i said (my english is orc, anyways).

I gave up the game in march 12, made this post and moved on. I like OMD so much that I kept thinking about the problems, about what was wrong and everything. I realized that progression is the problem here. I saw that news somewhere, that a free battle pass would be given to everyone and put the theory into test. I played that week, exclusively in chaos trials with my master and war mage keys and arrived at level 76; also, i bought Stinkeye... It's almost cheating the game to play with him. At level 76 i've managed to 5 star every rift lord map, because you clear the waves so fast that you even forget about par times.

So the problem here for me, what I dislike about this game, is that the hero is to much of a source of damage... I love tower defenses, they are all about placement of defenses and eliminating the enemies while they walk along to orc your day. Defense Grid is one of my favourite games of all time, along with OMD and OMD2. You guys have posted some good info here and I apreciate your time, unfortunately I didn't came back to read it; based on what you said, i'll say something...

Maybe i'm getting old (i'm 30 now, lol) and can't connect with the new tendencies in video games... I'll say what I think, but I respect what you said, don't get all horny like this "Onus" guy; I believe in dialogue. I think this argument about watching youtube videos or twitch channels completely crazy. A video game is about exploration and learning... Pick a great classic, like Metal Gear series and you will understand... There is some kind of echonomic management of some source, the gameplay and the challenges in the stages. These micro transaction games remove your power over the echonomic aspect, make it grind and frustrating, because it's the way they make money. They violate a core aspect of games. People look for youtube videos to understand how to efectly use the minimum the game gave then, because nobody wants to grind for too long. And that's bad, just bad. What kind of gaming is this? To copy a strategy someone made? I respect who does that, that's the way they have fun, but for me it does not work. My problem to mercenaries and unstable rifts is that they are there to disrupt strategies, make you think fast and adapt, but it has a virtual dificulty to it, now I see it... Once you are strong (account level) you don't even have to care, you can ignore then. Well, I don't know if you guys got my point, my english is very bad, I just think that we should talk about the game. It seens this game is going bad in financial aspects, I'm just trying to undestand why, pointing out what I saw that is not cool. I tried to make 3 friends stay playng this game and they abandoned it, completely, once they understood the grind.

Teck said:
    I actually don't personally agree with this sentiment.  I play almost exclusively solo and I have 5 starred every map on every difficulty.  A while back I even reinstalled OMD2! and have been trying to perfect each level there and I feel that I am having a much harder time.  Now I am rusty of course and the extensive amount of play I put into OMDU in the last year clearly puts me in a better position to do well there, but it is not a "slight" difference as far as I have experienced.  If I had to compare the 2 games over all, I would say that OMD2 is signfiicantly more difficult than OMDU but not over whelmingly so.  This being said, the first few attempts at OMD2 were definitely rough as I brushed off the cobwebs.  I would recommend doing a dive into some different OMDU streams to see what other's are doing to help you kick off some new techniques maybe?
    Well man, that's is exactly what i wanted to say, on the contrary. I am not saying Unchained is harder than OMD2, is just that the dificulty in OMD2 made much more sense, I enjoyed it, I perfected the game. Unchained is a game you perfect once your level is high enough; for me, this is wrong.

I just want to say that I respect you all and your feelings about the game, thanks for taking your time to answer me (even disagreeing with all of you).
  • OnusOnus Member
    Onus said:
    Wow, you're sooo salty... Frustrated about something, maybe? I'll just ignore you because you not even read what i said (my english is orc, anyways).

I gave up the game in march 12, made this post and moved on. I like OMD so much that I kept thinking about the problems, about what was wrong and everything. I realized that progression is the problem here. I saw that news somewhere, that a free battle pass would be given to everyone and put the theory into test. I played that week, exclusively in chaos trials with my master and war mage keys and arrived at level 76; also, i bought Stinkeye... It's almost cheating the game to play with him. At level 76 i've managed to 5 star every rift lord map, because you clear the waves so fast that you even forget about par times.

So the problem here for me, what I dislike about this game, is that the hero is to much of a source of damage... I love tower defenses, they are all about placement of defenses and eliminating the enemies while they walk along to orc your day. Defense Grid is one of my favourite games of all time, along with OMD and OMD2. You guys have posted some good info here and I apreciate your time, unfortunately I didn't came back to read it; based on what you said, i'll say something...

Maybe i'm getting old (i'm 30 now, lol) and can't connect with the new tendencies in video games... I'll say what I think, but I respect what you said, don't get all horny like this "Onus" guy; I believe in dialogue. I think this argument about watching youtube videos or twitch channels completely crazy. A video game is about exploration and learning... Pick a great classic, like Metal Gear series and you will understand... There is some kind of echonomic management of some source, the gameplay and the challenges in the stages. These micro transaction games remove your power over the echonomic aspect, make it grind and frustrating, because it's the way they make money. They violate a core aspect of games. People look for youtube videos to understand how to efectly use the minimum the game gave then, because nobody wants to grind for too long. And that's bad, just bad. What kind of gaming is this? To copy a strategy someone made? I respect who does that, that's the way they have fun, but for me it does not work. My problem to mercenaries and unstable rifts is that they are there to disrupt strategies, make you think fast and adapt, but it has a virtual dificulty to it, now I see it... Once you are strong (account level) you don't even have to care, you can ignore then. Well, I don't know if you guys got my point, my english is very bad, I just think that we should talk about the game. It seens this game is going bad in financial aspects, I'm just trying to undestand why, pointing out what I saw that is not cool. I tried to make 3 friends stay playng this game and they abandoned it, completely, once they understood the grind.

Teck said:
    Well man, that's is exactly what i wanted to say, on the contrary. I am not saying Unchained is harder than OMD2, is just that the dificulty in OMD2 made much more sense, I enjoyed it, I perfected the game. Unchained is a game you perfect once your level is high enough; for me, this is wrong.

I just want to say that I respect you all and your feelings about the game, thanks for taking your time to answer me (even disagreeing with all of you).
    Pointing out the obvious apparently makes you salty and frustrated, Huh? Mmmh, Makes sense! I mean, You can tell yourself that if it makes you feel better. But, Your feelings don't topple facts, Baby. But, You are right about one thing, Sir. I am horny. But, Not for the thing you think I'm horny about. Orc diick, I'm horny for diick. There i said it!