This patch is scheduled to be released on July 22nd, 2014.
Player Account Wipe
Some changes we’ve made (see below) necessitate a wipe. When the update goes live, we will be resetting all player accounts. This includes your Friends List.
All is not lost, however.
Remember that any gold you’ve purchased will be refunded (including gold from Founder’s Packs).
In addition, we want to say “thanks” to the people who have put a lot of time in thus far, so we’ll be granting players who have hit certain levels before the wipe some skulls to get them started after the wipe. Read more about it here.
Further Wi-Fi Improvements
If you’ve attempted to play across a Wi-Fi connection, it was likely an unpleasant experience. Apparent lag made OMDU near-unplayable for many Wi-Fi users. Tell your friends who quit in frustration – the fix is in. Playing with a Wi-Fi connection should no longer have as many issues.
What, you wanted something else? Okay, okay. How about team matchmaking?
Yes, that’s right, the cause of most of the player drops and 4v3 with bot
matches – eliminated.
The most requested, most “I can’t believe this
isn’t in there already” commented feature – added.
Click “Play,” then go
to “Party,” “Find Game,” invite available players in your friend list, and get
to searching for games together. (Be nice – there is no skill rating in place
with matching now, so Team Cake is likely to sometimes be across from five
No longer (hopefully) will you be unable to play with
your friends in match-made games. Huzzah.
The Card Grinder and Gib Store
More? Ok, how about that Card Grinder? Good, because that’s in too.
It’s a first pass, so it isn’t pretty, but it works.
Go to your
Inventory, click the “Gibs” tab, add cards, and grind them up. A first pass
version of the Gib Store has been added as a tab on the store page and there are
currently eight items available. We’re going to try out a few things with the
items offered here and how often they change, so check it out and tell us what
The Kobold King
How about a new hero to go with that Gib Grinder?
The Kobold King is short, dark, and regal. He enjoys long walks on the
beach, sunsets, and PRESSING Q TO TURN ANY KOBOLDS AROUND HIM INTO MINIATURE
His turn-offs include seeing any kobolds die (each one
killed near him increases his damage and movement speed for a short period of
time) and being tied down (he is the fastest hero in the game and his second
ability, Flee, breaks any CC for him and allies around him).
A second new hero? Sure.
Winston was father to eight famed paladins, all of whom fell in battle serving
the Order. Unfortunately, such loss has proven too much, even for one as stoic
as Sir Winston, and now he has become… somewhat upset with the Order.
Armed with a dark blade that weakens those it strikes, he can also curse minions
and heroes (doing a pulse of direct damage to them that also heals his allies
around the victim) and inspire mortal fear (preventing enemies nearby from using
(PS, if you melee him you get weaker every time you
We have also added 4 new skins:
- Hidden Tiger for Midnight
- First Eye Blind for Stinkeye
- Royal Pain for Kobold King
- Dark Paladin for Sir Winston
So…about the need for a wipe.
There are 40 new cards in the set…
- Boulder chutes filled with chunks of icebergs? Check.
- Rapid fire wall blades? Yup.
- Glory seeking… shock zappers!? You bet.
- Good old Ring of Lighnting? Yes.
- Ring of Last Stand? Gnomish Repair Kit? Frost Weaver? Arcane Weaver?
More than a dozen new waves?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
…and the pack model is completely
Six card packs? Gone. Five card packs are where it’s at.
Wait, wait, wait – I know. Five seems like less than six. But, going to five
allowed some other things to work out, such as:
- The chances of obtaining a hero in a pack are far more likely.
(Still not guaranteed. Still not the primary way we intend people to get
heroes. Still possible to open 200 packs and see zero heroes. BUT, far
- The chance of a Mythic is more likely.
- All of the common rarity cards have been reworked. There are no
common glyphs. There is no common gear. The common weaver is gone. ALL
WAVES HAVE BEEN MOVED OUT OF COMMON. This means you end up with far less
“I have 60 copies of this stupid glyph.” This means you end up with less
“I don’t need 10 copies of this wave.” This also means you’re a lot less
likely to end up with tons of low-count trap stacks. It is much, much,
much easier to get higher count stacks of useful and varied traps.
- Card packs will now cost fewer skulls.
- Card packs will now cost less gold.
Wait, there’s more.
We have a few things going on with the rewards (XP
and skulls), primarily getting set to tie this in to some other systems.
However, instead of waiting, we revised the win / loss ratio and picked a
thumbnail value that (at a guess) could work out. You’ll notice different XP and
skull rewards, but you should also see that a loss is now more rewarding (70% of
a win) than it was before (50% of a win).
We keep looking at how the game economy is evolving, particularly with the
recent leadership change.
One thing that has become glaringly obvious is
that the 5000 leadership players get from killing enemy guardians is a massive
contributor to kicking off a game-winning snowball. Instead of reducing this and
seeing what it does, we have eliminated it entirely – killing an enemy guardian
now rewards you with zero leadership.
Despite this, they still appear to
be worth killing, as them not being around makes defense substantially more
difficult, makes it easier for your minions to get past, and allows you to place
Thus far, results with internal testing have been very good.
However, while this appears to be an improvement, this is not the one and only
fix we need. We think that the chance for snowball / lack of chance for comeback
and the occasional late game closeout problems are major issues that need
addressed. There are still problems, and we are working on them.
Still No Tutorial
Speaking of problems….
As much as we wanted to, we couldn’t squeak in
an improved tutorial for this update. We know it’s a big problem. Soon.
Updates and Fixes
- There’s a first pass at music in the game (new songs and old
- Footstep sounds are now under control.
- Chests will no longer fall through the terrain when spawned, so you
should be able to pick them up again
- Boulder Chute’s height multiplier (increased damage from height of
trap) has been reduced.
- Fixed a bug with Fire Ballista. The debuff now reduces fire armor by
70 points instead of 60.
- Glyphs are now immediately active (these can also be sold for full
price at all times).
- Pride Hunter DPS has been reduced to 40 from 50. Additionally, their
HP has been reduced to 210 from 230. (Bleed was not fully valued in the
- Dwarf priests and hobgoblin shamans will no longer occasionally
freak out and start attacking one of their own.
- Weaver upgrades will now persist through Feign Death (Q) on the
Master and From the Ashes (Passive) on Smolder.
- Bots now use doors and gates.
- Bots should not teleport through gates.
- Bots should now retreat if outnumbered.
- Guardians on 3 lane moved outside the rift room. This should be
- Guardians no longer display healing particles when heals are around
them (they were not getting the actual heals before, just displaying as
if they were).
- The player who kills an enemy now gets appropriate credit in the
damage scroll on the right when the kill is from knocking enemy off a
- Fixed a bug where the first minion at the rift caused a “points
lost” sound even when the rift didn’t lose points.
- Projectiles should no longer fly straight up (or off in various
insane directions) when attacking enemies close to you.
Ball and Chain
- Ball and Chain’s Slam (Right-click) will now do damage to enemy
doors and Guardians.
- Fixed a bug that occasionally caused Blackpaw to be stuck in
- Bloodspike’s camera has been improved.
- Hogarth’s damage has been changed from Physical to Frost. That’s
right: his Battle Axe (Left-click), Charge (Right-click), and Hatchet
(E) all do Frost damage. Is it fun to leap into a mob of enemies and AE
frost them all? Yes. Yes, it is.
- Doesn't that make him more OP? Yeah, it sure doesn't hurt, so we knocked down his damage by 10% across the board. That should help even things out.
- Hogarth’s Hatchet (E) collision is now sized correctly (larger).
- Ivy’s Power Shot (Right-click) cooldown has been reduced to 2s from
3s and the mana cost has been reduced to 20 from 30.
- Ivy’s Balm (Q) now heals Ivy for less, but heals minions and fellow
heroes for slightly more.
- Master has a new condition: “Old.” His healing and bonus HP is
- Master’s mitigation now mitigates damage from any source.
- Master’s Magic Staff (Left-click) projectile speed has been slightly
- Master’s Meditate (E) no longer puts him in combat.
- Midnight’s trap disable (Prowl, E) has been altered so that she can
now disable ceiling traps in some places.
- Midnight’s damage out of Prowl (E) has been reduced to 30% from 50%.
- Midnight’s Vital Strike (Right-click) damage has been changed from
30 + 10% max HP to 10 + 20% max HP. The damage cap on the ability has
been increased to 273 from 195.
- Midnight’s Assassin’s Blade (Left-click) damage has been increased
to 40 from 35.
- Midnight now does 20% additional damage to CCed enemies.
- Prospector Sand Cloud (Right-click) no longer puts him in combat.
- Prospector’s tunnel can no longer be used while in combat.
- Prospector should no longer experience exploding Dynamite (E) while
attempting to pass through a tunnel.
- Prospector’s Sand Cloud (Right-click) should feel a lot easier to
- Prospector should no longer play footstep sounds forever, no matter
what he was doing, thus dramatically reducing chances of “Mother has
entered a blind range” conditions.
- Prospector’s height is now correctly acknowledged by trolls.
- Smolder’s Flame Breath (Right-click) damage has been increased to 30
- Smolder’s Fire Form (Q) mana cost has been increased to 30 per
second from 20 per second.
- Smolder’s Ignite (E) damage has been increased from 10 +2.5% current
HP / second for 5 seconds to 10 + 4% current HP / second for 5 seconds.
- Smolder’s ability to disable fire traps when in Fire Form (Q) now
- Sorceress’s Mesmerize (Right-click) cooldown has been increased to
15s from 12s. This is to prevent a situation where she could permanently
Mesmerize, which causes sadness.
- Sorceress’s Mesmerize (Right-click), when broken by damage, will now
leave combo points on the victim.
- Sorceress no longer has a strong urge to Blink (Q) off of cliffs.
(There was an issue with her being placed in edges of geometry that
caused her to fall after a blink.)
- Stinkeye’s ghost (from his passive, Change of Heart) got a healing
bump. The ghost is now there for 30 seconds and fires a heal bolt at the
lowest health ally once per second. This shot was 10 + 2% per second for
5 seconds and has been increased to 15 + 5% for 5 seconds. This is
pretty substantial – substantial enough that you might not want to kill
him until you’ve taken any buddies nearby out, because otherwise he’s
going to heal them rapidly.
- Stinkeye no longer breakdances after being killed. (Join me in
demanding this be reverted.)
- Temper’s Mad Cow (Q) is now… good?
- Temper no longer slows attack speed when he is in Rage and Regret
(E). Damage is reduced instead. (This seemed like a bug.)
- Temper loves little Satyrs and wants to keep them safe. Any damage
dealt to Satyrs around Temper is passed to Temper instead and the satyrs
take no damage.
- War Mage’s damage has been changed from Physical to Lightning.