How to Stream OMDU

NananeaNananea Member, Moderator, Master Founder, Robot Entertainment, Early Access
edited May 24 in Official Guides

Streaming Orcs Must Die! Unchained

Hello, warmages! So you’re interested in streaming OMDU, but don’t exactly know how to get started? I’m here to help

Bandwidth!

Before we get started, it’s very important to make sure you have a high enough upload speed to stream in the first place. A great place that I use often for testing upload speed is http://testmy.net. Click on the “Test My Internet” button and then the “Upload Test” button to start the test.

TestMynet

TestMynet Upload Results

Save this number for later as we’ll need it to determine our stream bitrate.

For higher resolution streaming, your results should be at least 2.5 Mbps or higher. There is wiggle room here, but streaming with less than this can cause high amounts of pixelation in OMDU since it’s such a fast-moving game.

What streaming service to use?

The biggest streaming sites right now are Twitch (twitch.tv), YouTube Gaming (gaming.youtube.com), Hitbox (hitbox.tv), and Azubu (azubu.tv). You can also stream directly through the Steam client, but we won’t be talking about that today. Today we’re going to focus on Twitch and the setup will be similar to the other services (except Steam).

Twitchtv

What streaming software to use?

OBS Studio (obsproject.com) and XSplit (xsplit.com) are the big name consumer-grade streaming solutions available. We’ll be focusing on OBS Studio for this guide as it is completely free software. While XSplit has a trial period, it eventually requires a subscription.

Also of note is that if you have special hardware like an Elgato, Avermedia, or even a newer Nvidia GTX graphics card the software included with these allows for direct streaming to Twitch without the need for OBS or XSplit. Check the help menus in your software to get started.

The Good Stuff

Download OBS Studio installer from obsproject.com/download. Once downloaded, install and follow the prompts given.

Now launch OBS Studio and you should see this:

OBS Studio Main Screen

Setting Up OBS Studio

The first thing you’ll want to do is click on the “Settings” button, which is in the group of buttons on the right.

OBS Studio Settings Button

Stream

Click on the “Stream” button on the left in the new window and you’ll be asked to enter your Twitch Stream key as well as to select the closest server to you physically.

OBS Studio Stream Settings

Now you will need to log into Twitch and go to twitch.tv/dashboard/ and click on the “Settings” link at the top.

Twitchtv Stream Key

Then you will need to click on “Stream Key” and then the “Show Key” button. Then read the disclaimer about never sharing your stream key and click on the “I Understand” button. This will reveal your key. Copy this and paste it into the “Stream key” field in OBS Studio.

OBS Studio Stream Key Field

Output

Next, click on the “Output” button on the left and you’ll be met with your encoder settings. These settings will affect how your computer compresses the stream for upload to Twitch. You can leave the "Output Mode" as Simple for now. If you’d like more advanced information, check out obsproject.com

OBS Studio Output Settings

Twitch recommends a maximum bitrate of 3300 or 80% of your upload throughput, so for the “Video Bitrate” field we’ll need to do some quick math. Take the number I told you to save earlier from testmy.net and multiply by 1000. Then multiply that result by 0.8. This is 80% of your maximum upload speed. Enter this number into the “Video Bitrate” field if it was lower than 3300, otherwise enter 3300.

Calculate Your Bitrate

If you’d like to record your stream locally, you can click “Browse” and select the path you wish to use. I recommend you keep the “Recording Quality” to “Same as stream” because otherwise you will be encoding TWO streams at once and this will tax your computer incredibly, resulting in lag, dropped frames, and all around bad juju unless you have an extremely powerful computer.

OBS Studio Recording Settings

Audio

Next up we have the “Audio” button on the left. Your settings will look different from mine here, but you want to make sure that the “Desktop Audio Device” is set to your computer speakers and the “Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device” is set to your microphone (if you’re using one).

OBS Studio Audio Settings

Video

The “Video” button on the left shows us how OBS Studio will display our stream. The “Base (Canvas) Resolution” is how big you want your stream to be INSIDE the OBS Studio window. For this guide, set this at the resolution of your main monitor that the game will be playing on. My monitor is 1920x1080, and OBS Studio put that resolution in for me by default.

The “Output (Scaled) Resolution” is what OBS Studio will stream to Twitch. You can see I’ve selected 1280x720 which is a 67% downscale from 1080p. Why would you want to downscale your stream, though? There are two main reasons you may want to do this:

• Your computer isn’t powerful enough to stream at maximum resolution while playing.

• Your bitrate isn’t high enough to stream at maximum resolution without frame drops and artifacts.

You will likely need to find the settings right for you here. If you choose to downscale, I suggest using the Lanczos “Downscale Filter” as it takes little power to apply and makes your stream look much better when downscaling. If you choose not to downscale, stick with Bilinear on your filter.

For “Common FPS Values” I would recommend starting with 30. While 60 FPS is smooth and pretty, it’s also very taxing on your computer AND on your bitrate. Feel free to experiment and find the best setting for you!

OBS Studio Video Settings

You can now press “Ok” in the bottom right to save your settings! Let’s set up some scenes now!

Setting up Scenes for Orcs Must Die! Unchained

You should be back at the main OBS Studio window now. In the most left box labeled “Scenes”, you should see the word “Scene” there already. This is the default scene and you can rename it whatever you like.

OBS Studio Scenes Panel

To add OMDU to the scene, first launch OMDU and then in OBS Studio you’ll want to click the “+” button at the bottom of the box labeled “Sources”. You’ll be given a long list of sources to choose from. Choose “Game Capture” and input the name for the source. I’ll be using “Dashboard” for this.

Next, you’ll be asked how you want to capture the game. Since the dashboard does not work in fullscreen mode, we want to select “Capture Specific Window” in the “Mode” selection. The “Window” selection is now available, and we’ll select “[SpitfireDashboard.exe]: Orcs Must Die! Unchained” from the drop down and click “Ok” in the bottom right.

OBS Studio Game Capture Window

You should now have this for your main OBS Studio window.

OBS Studio Main Window with Dashboard Not Filling the Canvas

You’ll notice that the OMDU dashboard doesn’t fill up my entire canvas at 1920x1080 resolution. You can change this if you’d like by grabbing the lower right red circle on the "Dashboard" source in the OBS Studio canvas and dragging it to the lower right corner of the canvas.

OBS Studio Main Window with Dashboard Scaled Up

Because Orcs Must Die! Unchained uses two separate engines, we need to add the gameplay window as a source in our scene as well. To do this, we’ll first need to launch a match of OMDU. I’ll launch the first level of the prologue just to get the game running.

Once again, click on the “+” button at the bottom of the “Source” box and add a new Game Capture. I’ll call my source “OMDU”. If you play the game in Fullscreen or Fullscreen Windowed mode, you can use the “Capture any fullscreen application” if you wish, but I suggest doing “Capture specific window” again. The window is named “[SpitfireGame.exe]: Orcs Must Die! UNCHAINED (64-bit, DX9)” for me. This way if you have another fullscreen application going it doesn’t switch away from OMDU on accident.

OBS Studio Game Capture Window with OMDU

You should now have a main OBS Studio window that looks like this:

OBS Studio Main Window with OMDU on Top of Dashboard in Sources Panel

OBS Studio will automatically make your “OMDU” source transparent when the game is closed, so keeping this hierarchy in the “Source” box is optimal for OMDU.

That’s the basics...and now you’re ready to stream! You can add other sources like webcams (Video Capture Device), graphics (Image, Image Slideshow), text (Text (GDI+)), and videos (Media Source) to personalize your stream.

All you need to do now is press the “Start Streaming” button and you’ll be live on Twitch!

More Information

• https://help.twitch.tv/ - Everything about Twitch at your fingertips, including how to setup other streaming software!
  • https://obsproject.com/forum/ - The OBS forums are a great place to find guides and in-depth articles about how to maximize the potential of OBS Studio.
  • http://bit.ly/omduassets  (515 MB) - Orcs Must Die! Unchained themed graphics and overlay pieces for use in your streams and videos!

NananeaOMD
Robot Entertainment | Community Video Coordinator | Skull Ninja
Post edited by Harmonia on