Upcoming Changes to OMDU

HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
edited November 2016 in General Discussion

By now you’ve read our big blog post announcing the upcoming changes to OMDU. If you haven’t, stop and take a few minutes to do so before you continue. We know there will be a LOT of questions about game changes, the reset, and the progress that players have already made in the OMDU Open Beta. We will have a lot more details to share in the next few weeks, but we want to make sure major account questions are answered right away.

The Reset and You

What’s getting reset?
All player progress will be reset as part of the next major OMDU update. This includes hero and account levels, earned stars, purchased or unlocked content such as heroes, skins, and traps, accumulated crafting resources, and spent gold. Leaderboards will also be reset.

Will I start with anything after the reset?

• Social features will not be affected; players will retain their usernames, friends list, and guilds. Note: earned guild points will be reset, but the guilds themselves will not be affected.
  • Founders will keep their unique in-game flair, as well as their enchanted armor skins.
  • Any unspent gold currently on your account will remain after the reset, and any gold spent before the reset will be returned to your OMDU account and will be available to spend again.
  • All players will receive 1,250 additional gold for logging in during the first two weeks after the update.
  • The following promotional skins will be retained post-reset. For skins not listed immediately below see the next section:
    • Cardboard Tube Samurai Maximilian
    • Life in Plastic Gabriella
    • Breaker of Molds Bloodspike
    • Lionheart Maximillian
    • Blackscale Blackpaw

What about my promotional items?
Many players have earned different promotional skins throughout the closed and open beta of OMDU. If you couldn’t join us at PAX East or missed the open beta survey, rejoice! If you redeemed a code for ANY of the skins below during the closed or open beta, you’ll be provided with ALL of the skins below.

• Scared-Crow Maximilian
  • PAXimilian Maximilian
  • Orc Slayer Maximilian
  • Lucky Tunic Maximilian
  • Promising Prodigy Gabriella
  • Frightfully Delightful Gabriella
  • Violet Vintage Gabriella
  • Firestarter Smolder
  • War Chief Tundra

When is this happening?
The progress reset and removal of Siege mode will both occur with the next major update. There will be patch notes and ample warning, so don’t worry if you hear that there is regular maintenance scheduled in the coming weeks. We will let you know in advance of the update.

What happens when I log in after the update?
All players will log in with level 1 accounts after the update and progress reset. Players will progress through a new Survival prologue experience and unlock starter content. Details on the changes coming to Survival mode will become available soon.

Real Money Purchase Conversions

With the removal of Siege mode, a number of items previously sold for OMDU will no longer exist in the game. We want to ensure that all players who have purchased packs and bundles retain the full value of their purchases, and also offer an additional bonus in gratitude for the long time support from our most devoted community members.

Anyone who purchased DLC on Steam or Founder Packs from OrcsMustDie.com will receive the regular price of their purchases in gold, plus an additional 50% gold. This will allow each player to create their own starter bundle with the items and heroes they prefer.

The chart below represents the amount of gold players will receive based on their original purchases.

Note: Heroes received from purchased Founder Packs and DLC purchases listed above will be retained after the reset.

Master tier Founders will receive all future OMDU heroes at no additional charge, and War Mage tier Founders will receive all current OMDU heroes at no additional charge.

Heroes crafted in-game or purchased individually with gold will not be retained.

Promotional access codes (including but not limited to Master and War Mage Founder's packs or other early access codes) are not included. The above applies to game purchases only.

Founder Packs

We greatly value our Founders, and we hope you will continue playing OMDU after the update. We are continuing to invest in OMDU and make it great. And we want your continued involvement and feedback. We hope you find the Founder bonuses valuable. However, we recognize you became a Founder when the game only had Siege mode. If you were only interested in Siege and do not want to continue the journey with us you can get information about refunds for Founder Packs at http://bit.ly/RefundFAQ.

We Want To Hear From You

If you have questions about the topics addressed here or the removal of Siege mode, please add them to this forum thread. Do not start additional threads. We’ll be answering questions on Tuesday, September 20 on the Insider Access livestream at 3:00 p.m. Central with Robot Entertainment CEO Patrick Hudson and VP of Production Chris Rippy. You can also join us on /r/OrcsMustDie beginning at 9:00 a.m. Central on Thursday, September 22 for an AMA with Design Director Ian Fischer to address these topics.

We know there are a lot of questions about what’s in store for Survival mode and Orcs Must Die! Unchained and we’ll be answering these very, very soon. 

Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
Post edited by Harmonia on

Comments

• HarmoniaHarmonia Member, Administrator, Moderator, Robot Entertainment, Featured Developer
    edited September 2016
    Top Questions from the community:
    If you missed the Insider Access episode on Tuesday, you can catch the full episode here, where many of these topics were covered. I also recommend reviewing Ian Fisher's AMA from Thursday, covering many topics!

If your question was not answered in the AMA or the Insider Access episode and you don't see it below, please add it to the thread!

Q: Why refunds for Founders only [thread]?

Q: When is the update coming? (Terrysongcn)
    A: No date to share yet.

Q: Can't you just split siege off into a separate client and leave it as is? (SHODANFreeman)
    Q: Why can't you just make survival and siege versions of each hero instead of removing siege? (Zarton)
    Q: How was siege hampering development when it wasn't really being touched anyway? (verizonwireless)
    Q: Was a single role siege mode ever attempted? A mode where Team A is solely siege and Team B is solely defense? (Budwyzer)
    Q: Why are you removing siege instead of improving/fixing it? (xGpZx)
    A: These questions were addressed in the Insider Access episode. For details on Siege removal and answers to these questions please watch the replay.

Q: My experience doesn't mesh with the play data you cite, I find myself waiting and waiting to get a Survival match going, but co-op siege is relatively quick to start. (Mingovillian)
    A: We're aware that players want more data here, but it's not something we are able to share at this time. Patrick mentioned in the Insider Access episode that the data was very consistent across regions but we can't go into further detail.

Q: Is there a chance a second round of founder opportunities are coming? (Gorkster)
    A: No, the founder packs were a limited time offer during the alpha phase. Steam DLC is also no longer available due to the changes coming.

Q: Is the PC release date is getting pushed back? What about PS4?

Note: Specific questions on the changes coming to survival mode are not being answered yet. We'll have a lot more information available on the details there soon, but I'm putting some top Q's below for now.

Q: Do I get to keep my hero dyes? (Digger)
    A: Tentatively yes. We know how important these are to players that have earned them and we're hoping to be able to provide these to players after the update. We can't 100% confirm it will happen but it's high on our list right now.

Q: So, now that glyphs are becoming redundant, are we getting unique traps for offense heroes? (tHe_silent_H)
    A: Heroes are being updated for Survival mode, but we can't share any details about these changes yet.

Q: What will happen to the Siege maps? Will the Survival variant of Siege maps get an update, or be removed at some point? (Sire)
    A: It's too soon to say what will happen to the existing Siege maps; it's possible they'll be modified and included as Survival maps. 

Q: Is Survival receiving an overhaul, such as brand new progression (no tiered traps anymore) or the same maps with different waves? (Sire)
    A: Survival is currently undergoing substantial changes, yes. Progression is one of many things that will be different after the update, and this is a large part of why the reset is necessary. We can't say too much here, as the work is in progress.

Q: What will happen to the PvP & Siege-centric heroes? Will they be overhauled again to work more along the lines of Survival? (Sire)
    A: All heroes are being reviewed and updated with survival mode in mind. 

Q: Will 4- or 5- player teams return to Survival? (JeanH13)
    A: Not at this time. We're currently balancing the game for teams of 1-3.

Q: Will decks be removed in favor of an OMD2-style "build your setup on the fly" model? (BrokenScience)
    A: There have been some changes to the deckbuilding experience that should fit more with that OMD2 adaptable experience, but decks are still a thing.

Q: Will the business model change, or will OMDU still be free to play? (Terrysongcn)
    A: No plans to change the business model after the update. 

Q: Will heroes have roughly the same price after the update? (GhengisJohn)
    A: No details to share here yet.
    Post edited by Harmonia on
    Robot Entertainment | Community Manager
  • SaintravenSaintraven Member
    edited September 2016
    @SykoGam6r I agree, I was fine with the reset but Siege was really the replayability with this game, once you get to endless what is left? Leaderboards with time? Ok that will get boring. Siege is what would keep people coming back, matches are unique and you always got new stuff to do and people to play. I am very bothered by this, like Jay I spent money for lots of chests early on and such, getting skins and such. But removing the only game mode me and my friends played and giving us gold back we probably won't use does not fix things for us. This is quite a disappointment really.
  • RIP
  • SHODANFreemanSHODANFreeman Member, Early Access
    Can't you just split siege off into a separate client and leave it as is so we can still play it if we want to, knowing the development on it has stopped permanently?  Or at least put in some kind of wildly unbalanced offline solo bots-only version of it?
  • Why is refund only for founder packs? I wanna refund gold purchases and ultimate pack. 
  • UrthenUrthen Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    I don't mind the change. I got the master founder pack because I loved OMD1 and 2 and wanted to participate, but honestly didn't play much because siege was so different. Whenever I did play siege, I only played defense (because it was the only part close to early OMD) and even then you only had so much room to build your killboxes. Survival feels more like what I loved about earlier OMDs and is a mode that differentiates itself from other games. Siege is to me just a weird MOBA with some tower defense mechanics.

I haven't played this game a ton. But I'll definitely be staying on board to test out the new survival.
  • Siberior said:
    This was absolutely the right move. I applaud you guys for making the hard decision, and I feel bad for those few that really did enjoy the pvp, but it never felt like omd to me and didn't stand out enough from any of the other moba games out there. Honestly it felt like a moba with omd themes tacked on rather than an omd game. Here's to the future of survival and best of luck guys. 
    I dont get why people blame siege for survival being utterly bad?
  • I only ever played Siege vs bots, but getting rid of it seems a bit extreme. Why not just put it on the backburner, balance the game solely for Survival, and let Siege players play a broken and unbalanced mode? Most of them will complain about it being broken and unbalanced regardless of what you do, anyway. It seems like a terrible idea, but it's still a step up from removing it entirely. You could even work on making it a viable PvE mode (as an alternative to Survival), and just stop making things specifically for it (I'm looking at you, Bionka and Bloodspike).
  • KuinkzKuinkz Member
    edited September 2016
    People have different opinions on this. I, for one, think you guys did the right decision. Siege was never part of OMD franchise. If you want siege, there are plenty of other options today for MOBA games. OMD needs to focus on what made them great: Survival. Coming from OMD and OMD2 you could clearly see how simplistic the game has become because of PvP. This was a hard decision and one that might not make some players feel happy, but it was a much needed change. I will now consider coming back to OMDU once again.
  • This seems like a really big fail. My experience doesn't mesh with the play data you cite, I find myself waiting and waiting to get a Survival match going, but co-op siege is relatively quick to start.

Siege is something new, with so much potential just waiting to be developed with some map variety, survival just doesn't have near the fun factor of OMD1 or 2 and I think that's going to be hard to capture with any product resembling the current incarnation of OMDU.

• JuicyJuicy Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Surrena said:
    Siberior said:
    This was absolutely the right move. I applaud you guys for making the hard decision, and I feel bad for those few that really did enjoy the pvp, but it never felt like omd to me and didn't stand out enough from any of the other moba games out there. Honestly it felt like a moba with omd themes tacked on rather than an omd game. Here's to the future of survival and best of luck guys. 
    I dont get why people blame siege for survival being utterly bad?
    Siege and Survival were butting heads. Ever used midnight in survival? It doesn't really work. Everything had to be balanced for two game modes - which slows down the implementation of both.
    Bangor said:
    I only ever played Siege vs bots, but getting rid of it seems a bit extreme. Why not just put it on the backburner, balance the game solely for Survival, and let Siege players play a broken and unbalanced mode? Most of them will complain about it being broken and unbalanced regardless of what you do, anyway. It seems like a terrible idea, but it's still a step up from removing it entirely. You could even work on making it a viable PvE mode (as an alternative to Survival), and just stop making things specifically for it (I'm looking at you, Bionka and Bloodspike).
    Consider this though. What if they start changing the way certain traps work. What if swinging mace gets physics added to it (does it actually have some? I don't know) and that affects siege. Now what if midnight gets her skills reworked for survival. She's no longer an assassin, but a fantastic defender. At some point you've got siege with 12 defense heroes and nothing else, and lots of broken traps and gear. I love the idea of it, but I just don't think it's plausible.
    Void2258 said:
    Also, regarding the refund policy for founders, the cutoff is unfair. Give us a chance to try the new game before deciding if we want to stay in or cash out. Forcing us to pick when we have no idea what the game will look like after this change is not right. We can't make an informed decision on this. It could be that these changes make Survival so great that we decide to stay invested, or it could not. But we can't tell if you make us decide before we can play it. Even during closed beta, when the packs were originally offered, we could see gameplay videos and such and decide to buy or not from that. All we have now are vague statements about the changes, so we have no basis for a decision. We have supported this game for years now, so at least give us the courtesy of making our decision based on evidence, not hearsay and speculation.
    I actually kind of agree with this. While I have no intention of returning mine, I do kind of think that founders should have a chance to see the first iteration of new survival before they have to refund. Whether that be through an insider access or access to a patch, I think they should atleast get to see it. Because right now, if I expected survival to come out the way it is, I wouldn't want to stay either. (I'm expecting survival won't be the same - that's why I'm staying)
    Wiki Contributor: Juicearific - Got a wiki suggestion? Let me know.
    Welcome to Juicy's Midnight Assassination Service. You grab em, I'll stab em.