Best traps post update?

What are your guys thoughts on the most effective/cost effective traps now? I am level 56 (mostly soloing) and have opened an inordinate number of chests. The RNG has not been kind to me so I am missing many of the traps I would like to have. The number of traps you can bring is also so small that it is difficult to diversify in your deck.

Currently I am running:
Barricades (tier 7) - Feel like a must have
Spike traps (tier 7) - Want to replace but other floors too expensive or not high enough tier
Tar or viscous tar (both tier 5) - Having a hard time deciding which is better. Cost of tar seems to be making them more viable for me as viscous is really effective but way more expensive.
Grinders (tier 5) - They have grown on me as one of the most effective wall traps
Power generator (tier 2)
Arrow walls (tier 7)
Pounders (tier 6)

I would like to replace the arrow walls with spitfires but my spitfires are only tier 1 and I never get the drops. I also have tier 5 wall blades or tier 4 wall chargers but rest time is rough on those and the range is not great. Spike traps I would like to replace with cursed grounds (tier 5) but they are so expensive and they don't seem as effective as they once were. Pounders I would like to replace with lightning rods (haven't gotten a single drop though) or shock zappers but those are only tier 1 as I get no drops for them (seem pricey but like they would be effective). I seem not to get the drops to get anything else that might be effective to a respectable tier. Most of my traps are also towards things that are already max tier...

What are you running and what traps and combos are you finding to be most effective? As I spend most of my time solo and the maps are not really designed for that at all, I cannot babysit all of the lanes as it seems the game is geared towards making you do. :-/

Comments

• That's actually a very solid deck. You should have no problem using it for all maps.

Sadly, you also probably have to run that deck for a LONG time since just as you said, chances for you to improve your deck is very slim because of the rarity and RNG issue. Rare and epic traps have low tiers and will have low tiers for quite some time.

Only thing I'd suggest is to add some damage buff enabler, such as haymaker or flip trap. You only need tier 3 and the corresponding part.
  • That's actually a very solid deck. You should have no problem using it for all maps.

Sadly, you also probably have to run that deck for a LONG time since just as you said, chances for you to improve your deck is very slim because of the rarity and RNG issue. Rare and epic traps have low tiers and will have low tiers for quite some time.

Only thing I'd suggest is to add some damage buff enabler, such as haymaker or flip trap. You only need tier 3 and the corresponding part.
    I do have tier 7 flip traps and tier 3 haymakers. i really dig both traps but I haven't figured out what to replace with the flip traps and the haymakers for the price seem somewhat inferior to the pounders I have right now...

Suggestions on what you would switch out for those?
  • I really like to have one trap with health siphon, and one trap with mana siphon (if you have em). Gives your hero a lot of staying power. I do health in viscous tar and mana in cursed grounds.
  • LozarethLozareth Member
    edited January 19
    Coinforges surrounded and topped by viscous tar, floor scorchers, arrow walls, haymakers, and either type of ballista are my favorite thing at the moment.  They cost nothing to place and make any hero able to afford wonderful killboxes.
  • @terrysongcn, I just tried the haymakers instead of pounders. Seems legit.

@lordbeef, The problem is that soloing, hero is not as important as traps because the hero can only be at one lane (or no lanes if there is an unstable rift) at a time.

@Lozareth, I have tier 3 coinforges but losing all that floor space always seems hard to cope with.

I do have tier 7 flip traps and tier 3 haymakers. i really dig both traps but I haven't figured out what to replace with the flip traps and the haymakers for the price seem somewhat inferior to the pounders I have right now...

Suggestions on what you would switch out for those?
    depends on rest of your deck. If you have enough component parts to reduce trap price, or enough traits to reduce the cost, you'd want to replace power generator.

But if you don't, either replace arrow wall or pounder or floorspike.
    You might also want to use brimstone to replace one of the above mentioned traps. Since DOT benefits more from damage buff than cooldown based traps.
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    There is no one deck that fits all purposes. Against steady mobs and/or sayrs I tend to run brim/vtar/haymaker/grinder as core, because their respective sustain/slow is good against them.

At intersections or barricade mazes some form of ballista can be amazing. Ballistas are very flexible. I run them frequently.

My floor scorcher is low level, but if I run combo I often take it because it has a unique positioning advantage over other floor alternatives (it's harder to set up clean combo zones with brim in confined spaces).

I do not have go-to arcane or lightning solutions. What I bring (if any) usually depends on the map and hero. For ice anything but floor is rarely viable and ice shards are super flexible.

I ran an almost pure physical damage deck deep into level 60 for 2 reasons: 1) I had the trait to make them cheaper, and 2) many physical damage traps are common or uncommon hence I had them at high levels. You don't get full combo potential, but you get very solid damage at great trap cost scaling.

I got power generator late, but even then I think it's best to learn to play without. You'll learn better how to set things up for combos if you don't rely on it.
  • BragdrasBragdras Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    edited January 19
    Great cade for trap count efficiency
    Spike trap for raw bursty floor damage
    Brimstone for dot floor damage
    Arrow wall for steady wall damage (also because it's incredible against large minions)
    Wall Blades for raw bursty wall damage
    Pounder for solid ceiling damage interchangeable with Alarm Gong.
    Ceiling Ballista for great bursty single target damage

This essentially beats the whole game (literally), all the more when you start adding kinetic resonators on everything except a slow resonator on arrow wall, if it's one of those stupid satyr-spam map, just take off the pounder & ballista and slap viscous tar + grinder with another kinetic resonator. Might want to take off the pounder and put whatever jokercard you want instead, like a Haymaker with stunning accumulator for Thuricvod so that everything just dies.
  • I made a post once about how bad flips are, then somebody said use the stunning accumulator. Now flips are in every deck for me. Just remember en masse flips are terrible, put damage behind them (i use 2 rows of floor spikes) then watch as the big guys take double damage for 5 seconds.  I did one shot a swifty once, set up in his path V.Tar with flips behind, half a square behind that where wall chargers and shock zappers. I think both wall chargers and 1 shock zapper hit him, with the debuff from the flip it killed him instantly.

The higher level you get the more that the expensive traps get better to use, because you have more money. There is a part that makes traps more expensive and fire more often, which is a must for Floor Spikes and Arrow Walls.
  • SireSire Member
    I still run my Default Loadout (Spike Trap, Tar, Brimstone, Arrow Wall, Ceiling Ballista, Swinging Mace [interchangeable], Barricade) and tend to do pretty well at Account Level 62.

However, as of late I've been trying out my Max Physical (Spike Trap, Brimstone, Arrow Wall [interchangeable], Wall Blades [interchangeable], Grinder, Ceiling Ballista, Barricade) which runs the Physical Trap discount as well as normally playing as Max for even greater deals. I would love to run Haymakers, but I don't own the trap, and on occasion I'll swap in Flip Traps if the map has good locations for them. Brimstone is in the trap loadout because I am a Brimstone fan and to break up mass Spike Traps. Decoys are occasionally swapped in if I need some extra time to wipe out a wave or handle stragglers.

I could never really get into Pounders. They are essentially "Spike Trap: The Ceiling," but I already have Spike Traps and can place them almost anywhere anyways. Then there is the Trap Cap to consider, so I rather have more powerful ceiling traps than spamming them.
  • How do you guys feel about fire cracker vs brimstone? Cheaper and less damage but possibly more utilitarian?
  • GorksterGorkster Member, Early Access
    edited January 20
    It really depends on the space. Firecracker is a way to get fire dots on in a straight path that is just 1 wide and it is less damage which can actually be useful if you want to combo rather than kill. But I usually bring brimstone. Just more universal and stronger. I.e. it's the better anti-sapper trap.
  • I'm not a fan of the firecracker, due to its odd size. I feel the same about the saw of arctos, you have to kinda shoehorn the trap in somewhere and it usually isn't a natural fit. In maps with more limited building space it finds even less function. Though the final map, Eventide Fortress, it would come in handy in a few places.
  • Statboy said:
    I'm not a fan of the firecracker, due to its odd size. I feel the same about the saw of arctos, you have to kinda shoehorn the trap in somewhere and it usually isn't a natural fit. In maps with more limited building space it finds even less function. Though the final map, Eventide Fortress, it would come in handy in a few places.
    Agreed. I find the saw of arctos very underwhelming.
  • AFistAngrilyAFistAngrily Member, Early Access
    Everyone needs tar (Viscous or otherwise) and barricades unless they're in a team that really knows what they're doing. Then you need at least one damaging floor and wall trap each. You don't always need a ceiling trap, but it's a HARD argument not to take either flavor of Ballista if you've been lucky enough to get those to drop.

- Spike traps and Brimstone seem to be the clear winners for floor traps. If you're lucky enough to have Floor Scorchers, also take those. They simply do too much at once to ignore, most of which is the ability to hit tiles not on the trap itself. Don't forget they act as weaker flip traps, too!
    - My experience with wall traps is an even tossup between Grinders, Wall Blades, and Arrow Walls. I use whatever is currently highest-level, but I prefer wall blades for the unparalleled burst damage.

If I find a map that allows placement of the Swinging Mace, I take it and engineer some way to march minions through the long side of those. Even at only level 3, two of them in a row deal with a LARGE majority of stuff even on Rift Lord maps.

Any leftover trap slots tend to get filled with things that work well with the hero and map picks. Coinforges, decoys, naphtha sprayers, arcane bowling balls (for the VERY lucky), Mana wells, etc. Never stop experimenting. There's a lot of traps out there that aren't great, but there's also plenty that work just fine. The only way to really figure out which one is which is to take them for a test drive.
  • Bad MonkeyBad Monkey Member, Master Founder, Early Access
    Looks like a solid and well rounded Loadout to me. I personally like the Wall Blades more than the Grinder though. I always combine it with slows to help buy more reset time of course. Stating the obvious here, but I use Arrow Walls where more reach is needed, and Wall Blades where it's not. I like the Spitfire, and I have it, but like you, haven't gotten enough drops to level it, so it sits unused. ON a side note, I'd love to get the Fire Sale card!
  • Looks like a solid and well rounded Loadout to me. I personally like the Wall Blades more than the Grinder though. I always combine it with slows to help buy more reset time of course. Stating the obvious here, but I use Arrow Walls where more reach is needed, and Wall Blades where it's not. I like the Spitfire, and I have it, but like you, haven't gotten enough drops to level it, so it sits unused. ON a side note, I'd love to get the Fire Sale card!
    Yeah, the onyl discount trait I have gotten is the ice one :-/ I got trap fetish last night though!
  • TimeMasterTimeMaster Member, Early Access
    Ice shards are the best one so far from the early levels to the last ones. Catch runners easy and pretty much the main dmg of the killbox after debilitation from fire traps.

Brimstone and Firecracker are both really good for the front or just for massacre on ice maps.

Flip Traps and/or Haymakers for the double damage and instakills are OP.

Bowling ball on long corridors are just too good. Otherwise Arrow walls are decent for their cost.

Viscous/Gong for slows.

Wallblades/Grinder/Charger any of them work pretty well for close distance walls.

Regular barricades are always the universal.

Pick one of each line and you got a very solid and pretty basic deck that worked for every map flawlessly for me.

• Do the projectiles from Arrow and Spitfire Walls pass through and damage multiple enemies? It *looks* like they do, but I have a hard time looking closely in the middle of a match so I could be wrong.